Thought of the Day pt.2

greekskii

22 minutes ago, finchey said:

I been watching lots of YouTube videos and I've seen a few on tope fishing from some beaches in North Wales and I wouldn't mind catching some myself. In the summer months I love catching smooth hound and I would imagine a tope is like a smooth hound on steroids. 

I used to fish for smoothies with a bass rod, baited with peeler crab rotten bottom to an old spark plug or bolt which snapped most of the time great fun, the rod must have been made of fibreglass showing my age there 😄

10 hours ago, finchey said:

I been watching lots of YouTube videos and I've seen a few on tope fishing from some beaches in North Wales and I wouldn't mind catching some myself. In the summer months I love catching smooth hound and I would imagine a tope is like a smooth hound on steroids. 

It's exactly like that. Never had a fight like it, flat-rodded over and over again, god knows how much line it stripped on each run. Its a pure adrenaline rush I know that much. 

Lol I will withdraw my critique of the local garage the amount of engine parts and plating they had to remove was a bit of a job as it would be on a performance motor.

I wanted to get it done properly the Lucas starter is worth the extra 40 over a recon price I didn't ask about the one they took off the garage is honest so let them make what they can on parts. 160 labour costs is fair for a SUV

Mrs got better news from hospital caught her cancer at stage zero so the treatment should be minimal it's why I got the car done this week she loves it did a oil change and that some new tyres had it running smooth.

On 14/12/2022 at 07:53, finchey said:

I think I'm going to have to find those tope beaches and have a go.

I'm 90mins drive from my nearest beach, that can be from Brighton in West Sussex through to Southbourne in  east dorset. Luckily i have 3 very good and renowned Tope  beaches inbetween Brighton and East Dorset so I know where I'll be heading. Already got the first 2 weeks of May booked off. One week on Chesil beach for the plaice and hounds and the second week in West Sussex after tope. Can't wait. 

5 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

Lol I will withdraw my critique of the local garage the amount of engine parts and plating they had to remove was a bit of a job as it would be on a performance motor.

I wanted to get it done properly the Lucas starter is worth the extra 40 over a recon price I didn't ask about the one they took off the garage is honest so let them make what they can on parts. 160 labour costs is fair for a SUV

Mrs got better news from hospital caught her cancer at stage zero so the treatment should be minimal it's why I got the car done this week she loves it did a oil change and that some new tyres had it running smooth.

That's great news about your Wife , Carpbell3 , an early Christmas present for you both .

😃

7 hours ago, emmcee said:

I'm 90mins drive from my nearest beach, that can be from Brighton in West Sussex through to Southbourne in  east dorset. Luckily i have 3 very good and renowned Tope  beaches inbetween Brighton and East Dorset so I know where I'll be heading. Already got the first 2 weeks of May booked off. One week on Chesil beach for the plaice and hounds and the second week in West Sussex after tope. Can't wait. 

Sounds good mate, I wish I lived closer I'd come and join for a session or two. I'm itching to get out on the beaches, I just need too get a few more things sorted and I'll be there, I can't wait I've not felt like this for a very long time about any fishing. 😁👍

1 hour ago, finchey said:

Sounds good mate, I wish I lived closer I'd come and join for a session or two. I'm itching to get out on the beaches, I just need too get a few more things sorted and I'll be there, I can't wait I've not felt like this for a very long time about any fishing. 😁👍

That would have been good to have a session or two but yes a long way apart sadly. 

Im guessing you mean tackle/set up so hope you get sorted out soon mate.

And totally get what you're saying, I've got a buzz about sea fishing that I hadn't felt in my carp fishing for a fair few years. 

Tight lines 

20 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Im guessing you mean tackle/set up so hope you get sorted out soon mate.

Yes mate tackle and some terminal bits for my rigs, I'm still waiting too get my rod back after having  eye replaced . The wife has bought me a new Ian gold tripod for Christmas. I'll just be using the 1 rod set up for the time being until I can get myself another rod and reel. I'm trying to sell my bedchair and brolly system at the moment that should buy for a rod and my birthday in February so hopefully a new reel for that.

On 15/12/2022 at 22:39, finchey said:

Yes mate tackle and some terminal bits for my rigs, I'm still waiting too get my rod back after having  eye replaced . The wife has bought me a new Ian gold tripod for Christmas. I'll just be using the 1 rod set up for the time being until I can get myself another rod and reel. I'm trying to sell my bedchair and brolly system at the moment that should buy for a rod and my birthday in February so hopefully a new reel for that.

Hi bud not sure where you are selling to but I've found it a lot easier and quicker to sell gear on Facebook marketplace rather than gumtree 👍

15 hours ago, jh92 said:

Facebook marketplace rather than gumtree

I'd be wary of using either. Several years ago my mate had his garage done over despite having a decent alarm. He had sold some stuff on Facebook and on reflection he was pretty sure one bloke who he had invited into his garage to view the stuff had noted what was there and came back to ransack it. He reckons he lost about £8,000 worth of kit. A neighbours (poor quality!) camera picked up a van turning up, the alarm being smashed and they were in and out pretty quick and took the lot. Luckily his Insurance Company was really good and he managed to replace most of it but the thought of losing all your gear in one hit is a right kick in the nuts and he was in tears when he told me his tale.

The morale of the story is don't bring attention to outsiders of exactly what you've got, you don't know who you are inviting round.

I’d just like to wish everybody a Merry Christmas while I have the chance ( especially you Carpbell , 🤞🏻 for you and the Mrs) and good luck for the new year with your fishing , whatever discipline it may be . 

Reading above about all your salt water exploits has had me thinking about it a bit. 
iIts never appealed to me tbh but I work down near Tilbury Docks and in my tea break I’ve noticed a few people fishing the Thames . They’ve been too far away to ask them myself but does anybody know what I’d be likely to catch should I have a dabble myself ?

• 2 weeks later...