-
Posts
799 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
150
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Blogs
Events
Articles
Everything posted by ouchthathurt
-
Good evening all, so this trip came about after my sons have come to visit for the last few days and my younger son wanted to get the rods out at the park lake. So last night found us winding our way down to see what was occurring. we were trying to get on the night before, but the available swims were all taken, so the following morning saw the boy and I hurriedly chucking the gear into the motor and driving, whilst becoming increasingly frustrated, through the school run traffic to the park lake. Now the night before, I hadn’t slept well, the baby has his first sniffle, and every time I closed my eyes, I could see serried ranks of carp anglers lining the banks, with no room for the boy and I, which would have been a bitter disappointment for him as he only had limited time before he needed to travel back for work - hence the rushed and stressful arrival at the park lake! Before the car had even stopped rolling, the boy was kicked out the door like a paratrooper jumping from a plane with a couple of buckets and my voice shouting “run!” ringing in his ears as he scarpered down the path and through the fishery gates to secure a couple of swims before the dreamed of carpy hoards arrived. I started unloading the car as the boy came sauntering back up the path, “I don’t know what the rush was dad, every swim is empty!” Still, the swim he loves was bucketed, as was the swim next door. (One, coincidentally, I hate!) but this trip was about him, so as long as he was happy, I’d make it work. As we set up, the hurried bomb-burst from the house soon proved to have been unwise, as I had left my spod and marker rods, as well as the water container and food bags behind! Now the boy went into his favourite (and mine) swim, where he has had 95% of his captures from and where my 3 fish hit from last week was from and was soon wrapping up, prepping his gear and chucking up his brolly, whereas I sat scowling at the swim my boy had bucketed for me, the bucket looking forlorn in the corner. I really didn’t like this swim, I’ve never found any spot that do bites with any regularity and I always feel as though I may as well close my eyes and pub chuck the rods any old where. Having a quick wander up the bank found me in a swim that always looks good, I know the spots that produce, I’ve seen them there, but my luck never runs, the fish either get caught just before or after I’m there! In fact, since 1997 fishing the lake on and off, I’ve never caught from this swim, although I know it can do the biz. The barrow was moved into the new swim, rods and home set up and before I could get them out, it was back to the car to drive the 10min drive home to collect the stuff I’d left behind. Once back on the lake, the X4 Horizons were soon sending the 3.5oz lead to the overhanging bushes on the far margin where they thudded down onto firm clay/pebble/concrete (this is a disused man made reservoir with a concrete “ring” jutting 2-3 rod lengths out before giving way to silt - the years have mellowed the concrete and a layer of clay and gravel now cover most of it) the newly collected marker rod showed 8ft of water level with the overhanging bushes, distance 18.5 wraps @12ft (no idea how many yards that is) I opted to initially bang a 7 bait stringer on each rod, rigs being fox cortex coated braid to size 6 esp barbless claw hammer hooks slip D style. My boy was nicely set up on the hard patch that weeks of prebaiting, spodding hemp/pellet and fishing over has improved nicely. Distance was a lovely 8.5 wraps with 14ft over it. Three (not immediately obvious) landmarks on the far horizon made recasts easy, the firm crack as the lead sank marked the spot. with the rods out, I set about wrapping up the spod to 18 wraps (taking into account swing back of the lead at this range) and tried to put out a bed of hemp, pellet, sweetcorn and whole/halved/crumbed homemade boilies onto a spot, but whether it was the blustery wind, the tackle or (most likely) my utter ineptitude on the day, I don’t know, but I think only 60-70% landed on target! On other occasions, in this swim, to this spot, I’ve not had this problem. I found I really had to “step into” the cast to get it flying. As the spod crashed into the surface over the left hand rod, this same rod started trickling off, “damn it!” I’ve picked up the line with the spod! Then the middle rod started going too! Realising that I’d had a take, which had kited and picked up my middle rod, I struck and was soon bent into a carp. The fight was fraught with issues, as at one point I had the spod, middle rod and a long length of unidentified line trailing all over the shop! My boy came to my aid by carefully retrieving each rod in turn before slipping the net under a lovely common, where the unidentified line was, well, identified! Nestled in the bottom corner of the fishes mouth, near to my size six embedded in the bottom centre of the lip was another rig! It had a fused leader, a lead clip with the tail rubber pushed on so tight that the 4oz lead hadn’t discharged! There was about 30yrds of thick, 20-25lb mono attached. Once that rubbish had been removed and bagged up, he was hoisted up for a happy snap. scraping 21lb, I was well made up! I’d finally caught one from this swim!! A day bite too, which is a rarity. My son was muttering something about me making a hard lake look easy, but it’s been 25+yrs of learning the place that had led to this string of captures, knowledge that he is reaping the benefits of too. As the day wore on, what came apparent was that the number of anglers who had booked on for the night hadn’t bothered to show up, so as it drew on to early evening, the spod was wrapped to 8 wraps and the boy soon had a nice bed of bait out, ready for the late evening/early hours bite window. The carp drop away from the shady margins and into open water spots at night to feed up. My son’s swim was soon fizzing like a jacuzzi, fish evident by topping and subtle head shows in the moonlight. My boy was being pestered by bream, but was rewrapping and restringering after every one, although he did swap the usual 12mm hook baits for “mega-baits” boilies of 30-40mm (and larger) that my daughter rolls from the scag ends. Some of them are like ping pong balls, but they do deter the slabs! He got his head down at about midnight after swapping his beloved mini microns for my spare delkims as they were low on battery. I too, was soon in the land of nod. At 2am, the shrill warbling tone of a delk split the night, my boy was into a carp! It soon went boring down the margins, but he had the better of it and it rolled into the net without too much problem. it was a gnarley old beast, weighing in at a respectable 26lb. That was the last of the action for each of us, although we couldn’t complain. We had both had a fish. It was an early wrap up on the dawn of a busy day, so by 8am, the lake saw only our backsides as we headed up the path and back to the car. caught on the astronomical start of Autumn, my favourite time of year!
-
-
Having posted on the “chilly” thread meeting some of the names of the sport, this got me thinking… I was in the queue with my son to meet Alan Blair (who when we got to him asked me if I had any questions for him, yes i said, one… how did this sport become so blooming expensive! - he was a nice lad) well also at the Nash stand, was that legend, Julian Cundiffe! I had to have a chat with him, (I wrote to him when I was 14 for a school project - writing an article on a hobby or some such rubbish for school, I wrote about a summers angling on a small snaggy pond where we had a right result and I learned how effective the regular application of a decent quality HNV bait could be, the small population of carp got so into the bait, they would be lining up waiting for me to deposit a bag of freshly rolled baits on the spot) and he actually replied having read my article and gave a few pointers! - it actually got published in big carp magazine too… still waiting my sponsorship deal 🙄 well Julian Cundiffe and I got talking about the sport and the conversation drifted onto how things have changed, I was lamenting how my boy would never truly understand the shear unadulterated joy of cycling to a farm pond to catch a 6lb common, as everything is so much more accessible for him than it was for me. I think my son rolls his eyes when we are sat on a pond in the evening over a brew and I start regaling him with tales of my carp fishing in the early 90s “here we go again, old uncle Albert with tales of when he was in the war” etc etc when I tell him how my first boilies were made out of eggs, self raising flour, vanilla flavouring and red food colouring, rolled into balls and baked in the oven… they went in about 8mm and came out about 50mm! I took them down to the local pond and side hooked them to my super advanced rig of the day, a 3/4oz bomb free running on the line to a swivel and a 1 foot mono hooklink! it wasn’t until after I caught a carp on one that I found out that the damn things floated!! as he sits behind a battery of 3 high quality carbons, that can sling a lead 120yrds, coupled with the latest in bait runner technology, with rigs and baits that nigh on require a scientific degree to decipher, coupled with a solid pod, all singing all dancing alarms… while he waits, his buttocks are caressed by a bed chair more comfortable than the beds at home, all ensconced in a lightweight, easy to erect bivvy… his tackle box is stuffed full of hooks, braids, fluros gizmos and gadgets to construct these wonder rigs, he can lie back and watch Netflix on a phone more advanced than any family computer i ever had at his age (dial up modem anyone?) he wants a new rig, or see the latest wonder method, there it is on YouTube, 20,000 vids on the ronnie rig, take your pick! His gear at ages 15-17yrs is more than I could have ever have dreamed of at his age. (I’m as much to blame, I brought it all!) has this modern approach taken the soul out of carping?? my first carp rods were 11ft fibreglass 1 3/4lb tc with cork handles. One brown blank and one black. Reels were whatever reel had 8lb Diawa sensor on it - I swapped a quiver tip and a float rod for these carp rods. I learnt how to tie a hair rig from John Wilson’s fishing show - he caught a barbel on rolling meat. The rods rested on 4 wire rod rests with dough bobbins I remember seeing my first carp in a lake, it was HUGE!!! (About 8lb!) that was it, I needed to catch one! I was with my dad who isn’t a carper, so I had no idea where to start - watching redmire legends episode of a passion for angling made the yearning worse! (I was off sick from school when it came on - I couldn’t believe my luck) I remember to this day my first ever carp, on float fished maggots in a farm pond, it weighed 2lb!! I remember my first double a mirror, weighing 10lb 1oz caught on bread crust popped up off a swim feeder full of mashed bread - i caught two doubles that day, both weighing 10lb 1oz! my first 20, 20lb 1oz - stalked on a piece of bread I still remember the buzz… I asked my son if he could remember these milestones for himself, but he couldn’t. the learning, the trying things out, (WD40 as a bait soak anyone??) the watching of other anglers and mimicking them, no internet, no YouTube, no “how to” vids and mags, (although carpworld was the bomb!) I remember sitting on the bank of the “park lake” (months into a seasons blank) reading Terry Hearn’s account of catching Mary at a British record weight in carpworld, it blew my mind! A 50+ carp, now 50’s are all over the shop! going back to my sons (and admittedly my) tackle box, there are hooks of different sizes, out turned eye, in-turned, curve shanks, wide gapes… coated braids, uncoated braid, flurocarbon, stiff links, spinner swivels, micro swivels, line aligner sleeves, stripper tools, all manner of beads, leaders, tungsten tubing, bolt bubbles, quick change swivels, lead clips, heli drop off clips, lead core, etc etc… my first carp tackle box consisted of: drennan super specialist size 4 drennan super specialist size 10 (floater fishing) ashima carp hooks size 6 (nicked from a mate) kamasan B175 fly hooks size 6 (banging hook) spool of merlin (if I could afford it!) spool of amnesia spool of Berkeley big game (mono hooklinks) beads swivels baiting needle (the Gardner one) bait drill selection of leads - 3/4oz - 2oz Scissors all squeezed into a vhs cassette tape box! Admittedly the Berkeley big game was nicked from the dad and rattled around in a bright red canvas rucksack! Bait stops were the stems of leaves. my first alarms were cheap £12 alarms from Argos, that were basically a black box with an orange arm you hooked the line around! My bobbins were either John Robert’s plastic bobbins that you could pop the top off and pack with mud to make them heavier! Or I’d push a hair grip into a cork. I then saw a pair of optonics in a tackle shop in Norfolk and begged my parents to buy them as an early birthday present, bless their soul, they did! They were like church mice, so quiet! But I loved them! (The alarms not the parents, although I love them too!) My first landing net was an old metal poled, metal armed dog catching net from an old boy who was in the RSPCA! It had a lever on the spreader block that took a length of cord - throw it over the dog, pull the cord and the arms slid down the handle! night sessions under a 45” black brolly on a camping bed with 2 Argos sleeping bags, shivering your nuts off on winter sessions and having to commando roll off the bed as the rim of your brolly was so low you couldn’t sit up! Buying my first base mix, carp company fruit frenzy, the trial and errors that caused! Browsing shelves of flavours, stumbling on rich worth boiled ham, or blue cheese flavour or the best flavour of all, hutchies mixed herbs! catching my first carp on a boilie I’d made myself, then in 1997 discovering premier base mixes - aminos - I still use a variation of that same basemix to this day. i remember the long summer days, bulrushes thick, verdant and green, dark muscular commons, taking the lake apart on trout pellets! chick peas soaked in whiskey… No spinners, Ronnie was a bailiff not a rig, just simple hair rigs to 1oz leads running on the line. I sit on the exact same lake today and it’s like it’s a different place, a sorry imitation of itself, pale insipid commons, threadbare reeds, was it ever thus? Do I look back with rose tinted specs? i remember the path trod by all young carpers down my way (the same path i then took my son down), starting on the easy lake learning your trade through experimentation, trial and error then moving onto a trickier snaggy canal shaped pond to try your hand at “bigger carp” (biggest a scraper 20) learning how to cast accurately to spots in the far margin, if you missed, you hit a tree so it’s a skill you learnt quickly! then moving onto the “big boy water” the park lake, where 20-30 ancient leney mirrors resides in 8 acres, 10 fish a year was considered a flyer - my first full season (1996-1997) was a total blank! I just came off an overnighter on the same water where I had a 20lb, 25lb & 30lb in a few hours - this lake now holds 60-70 carp, including 6-8 30’s and one 40. It’s still considered tricky, but as hard as yesteryear? Not a bit of it! Back then it only had one 30. Last night I fished a neglected swim (coincidentally the same swim I caught my first carp from this water - 10lb 2oz on a pva bag in the margins to a premier aminos GLM boilie with boiled ham flavour) my rig consisted of 10” fox cortex soft coated braid, fished slip D style, to an ESP Clawhammer size 6 hook and a shrink tube line aligner, yet in 1997 I took my first 20lb mirror and over all personal best of 28lb, a jet black angry mirror, all tight muscle, withered fins, scars and attitude, on a 5” amnesia hooklink to a size 4 drennan super specialist hook. The hair was a continuation of the hooklink (the hair loop knot was huge!) at one time that rig was my go to rig, yet when I tied up a modern equivalent, it looked awful! What’s changed? my son has done extremely well, he has caught some crackers, 2 x 38lb commons, mirrors to 32lb, from the park lake this season alone, but on my baits, mimicking my rigs and tactics, had he been me, and didn’t have a carping mad dad to coach him to the point he is at now, would he have done as well? yet conversely, had he gone through the apprenticeship that we enjoyed/endured as kids, would he have enjoyed it more? Has the internet age killed the joy of trying something and seeing it work? I used to sit there for ages, tying up different rigs, my boy just googles it! I remember strapping my rods to the frame of my BMX and cycling with my mates to farm ponds to catch a shed load of roach, perch and skimmers. Catching elvers and minnows to live bait for perch, yet nowadays it’s all about the carp. Get the gear, get the boilie get the 30, pot noodle carpers, just add water! my first “true” matching set up consisted of Abu Garcia delta 11ft 2lb tc specimen rods with cardinal 55 reels, brought with birthday money and savings from my 2 paper rounds, resting on my trusty optonics back then we specifically went “night fishing” it was something “special” nowadays we “just” fish… my night gear could be carried on my back in an old army Bergen rucksack or stuffed in a hold all over my shoulder, today I need a carp porter barrow! as a kid, I would sit for hours just staring at the lake, I could easily while away a weekend session doing nothing and not get bored, there was too much going on! Today my son sits on the luxurious bed chair with unlimited 5G, phone plugged into a PowerPack watching carp fishing videos on YouTube! Mate YOU'RE AT THE LAKE!!! If his phone dies, he’s lost! I do find myself mourning the old days, where not everything was so accessible and instant, don’t get me wrong, it was the 90s, not the 60s, gear was available, mainstream carping was taking off, but to a young kid relying on pocket money, paper round money and birthday money, these items were financially out of reach, so you found a way to succeed with what you had. I watch my son, accomplished carper that he is, but he doesn’t realise how easy it is these days, I know if I put him onto a swim on the park lake that he’s never fished before, he’d struggle the art of marker float work, walking into a swim and “reading” it knowing instinctively where to place each hook bait seems to have been lost. Before marker rods etc, we would just walk into a swim, look at what you had and think, “well that bush looks inviting, I’ll pop one bait under that, I’ll stick another by those reeds and there you go, it always worked fine before. Now my son walks into the neglected swim on the park lake, wraps the marker, rods and spod to 9 wraps, and away he goes, marker out, three rods around the marker, 10-20 spods over the top, retrieve the marker and await the carp. Why 9 wraps? Because I found the harder patch of silt with a marker float and know it’s the one, he then asked me what the wraps were! I didn’t know, I don’t even have distance sticks! A pair of storm poles did the job and I counted the wraps for him. Now he knows. He recognises when he’s on it feeling the lead down, but I doubt that he would find it with a marker float and lead if left to his own devices. Or maybe, his time carping with his old man was his “golden age” maybe he’s currently in his “golden age” he can’t miss the simple times because he didn’t experience them as I did, it’s a generational thing - it’s not his fault that you can buy alarms for £30 today that would have cost 3 times as much back in the day. while I enjoy my carping, lord knows I’ve been fortunate in my angling, 2 English 40+ commons ranks as my biggest achievement, I do find myself increasingly drifting back down memory lane where everything seemed so simple. Last night I had a 30, I was happy, but I wasn’t screaming the place down. 20yrs ago I’d have popped the thing in the sleeping bag and cuddled it all night long if it were possible! I remember once staring at a fish like that for ages on the mat, last night I have barely any memory of the fish at all - in the net, on the mat, in the sling, weigh, bucket of water over it, quick snap with the self takes, treat the hook wound, back it goes, all done and dusted in a few minutes, I had to look back at the photos to see what it actually looked like! As far as fish care goes we are light years ahead, one good thing. i recognise in myself that I’ve got a bit stale, last night proved it to me, I had 3 good carp in a few hours, I know the lake, I knew where they would be, they are not the old paranoid leneys of old, these are a mix of VS and Simmons fish, stocked between 1999 and mid 2000s give or take, they’ve gone in at low doubles and have done well, they aren’t pushovers, but ultimately, they’ve been bred on pellets from carplets, they recognise pellet as a staple food source, put a bed out and they’ll come looking, stick a decent bait under their nose and you’ll have them. I left having had a good session, yet the other 4 anglers on the lake had a low 20 common between them. am I alone in feeling that modern carping has lost its soul somewhat? (I do need to find another venue, theres a wild windswept pit that’s caught my eye, just trying to find out who owns it!) maybe a completely new challenge will get me champing at the bit again. or maybe I’ve just become the angling equivalent of uncle Albert now let me regale you of tales of the war… “in Afghanistan, I was on patrol…” nah, maybe not! I still refuse to buy terminal tackle online though, I much rather walk into a tackle shop! “…Can’t walk into a website for a natter can you?…” (quote - song of the solitary bass fisher, by James “leaky boots” Batty - excellent book!
-
That and the 3 fox rods I walked off with… I wore it especially… 😂 i may have fan-girl’ed it about the fox stand a bit more than is normal for a 40yr old father of 4… 🙄
-
-
I met Chilly at the big one show last February, what a thoroughly decent man. Made time to have a good chat with my son and I. made my day getting 10min of his time
-
Afternoon all, so I managed to get a free pass to get out and dunk some boilies in a pond last night, so I chose to head to my local tricky park lake. now I haven’t been there since the start of the season, and due to extremely low water levels, the club made the decision to shut the water for fish welfare, so last night was my first trip back in a while. on getting down to the lake, I found it was fairly busy, but everyone was on the opposite bank. I headed around to a small, neglected swim that is often ignored, which coincidentally is my favourite swim on the whole lake! there were a few signs of feeding fish, so I got the marker out and located the area of smooth harder silt that does the bites and soon had the rods clipped up to the range. tackle consisted of 3 x 12ft fox horizon X4S TT carp rods with fox EOS 12000 reels spooled with 12lb esp synchro main line. Rigs were leadcore helicopter rigs with 10” fox cortex soft slip D rigs with size 6 ESP barbless Clawhammer hooks. Bait was my usual premier superaminos/shellfish sense appeal offering made in the shed. 3 rods were dispatched to the spot adorned with 7 bait stringers, and with that i broke out the spod rod! I’m not quite sure what possessed me, but I ended up putting out a whole bucket of hemp, boilies and mixed pellet with lashings of salt which is a lot of bait for a quick overnighter, but my gut said it was the way forward, so in it all went! rods out, about 100 spods (so it seemed) done, it was time to chuck up the bivvy and get the kettle on. as the sun sunk beneath the trees, the swim came alive, with bubbling and swirling all over the spot. I was getting liners like nobody’s business and it was getting pretty obvious that something was going to happen… …well it did, bream after bream! I was hammering through the rigs as slabs of 3-5lb came gliding in, it was simply a case of hitting repeat and getting the stringers out there. as an aside, some anglers try to avoid the bream, but I welcome the activity, all that feeding soon draws the carp. at 11pm, the left hand rod pulled tight then dropped slack, as I was crouched next to it trying to decide if it was a liner or bream, the middle rod picked up and tore off! after a spirited fight, I soon slipped the net under a pretty linear that just scraped 20lb I don’t know what happened, but I look deranged in the pics! I sorted the left hand and middle rods and got them back out there, lucky 7 bait stringers attached and tried to get some sleep. I was awoken by a single bleep at 1am and opened one bleary eye to see the middle rod rip off again, this fish felt slightly better, taking me through every overhanging bush in the near margin, but the trusty horizons soon had it beat, and at 25lb made me a buzzing lil carper. pressing repeat again the middle rod was back out there, new hooklink attached. I finally got some shut eye at 2am for a whole 90mins when the middle rod decided to trundle off again, the strike met with a determined slow plodding weight that didn’t really give me too many dramas, just refused to come in. eventually, it succumbed to pressure and rolled into the outstretched net At 30lb it made the trip really! Big high shoulders, broad across the back, it was a pearler. (Cue stupid face again) it was so wide over the chest, I struggled to hold it properly. that rod replaced, I climbed into a damp, carp slime encrusted sleeping bag and got some kip. on dawn, the bream reappeared as the carp retreated back into their day areas, the sun started beating down so I decided to wrap it and head home, well happy!
-
-
Good morning all, so the last 3wks have flown by in a sleepy haze of sleepless nights, nappies, bottles and sterilising bottles, however yesterday wifey told me it was time to get the rods out! Trying to overcome my surprise, after all I hadn’t planned an overnight trip for many months into the future, why the free pass? My wife wanted a practice run of looking after the children alone for when I return to work next week, so I was banished to the lake! well you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth do you?? luckily, if you saw my “playing with bait” thread, you’ll see that I had a bag of bait tucked away in the freezer, so the gear was dragged from the shed, food and bait loaded and I was off to the Kent boarder to fish a lake I’ve christened “zombie sheep lake” I needed to pop into the tackle shop to pick up a few bits and while browsing the shelves, my eye wandered over the racks of bivvies all in a row… now my JRC STI 1 man bivvy has finally died a death after far too many years to count, indeed it had been coughing up blood for at least 10yrs and now I’m in my 40s, the thought of doing winter sessions under my trusty oval brolly and storm sides really didn’t appeal! 13yrs of Army service, sleeping under a poncho in a ditch had meant that I was pretty used to kipping in less than favourable conditions, but any fool can be uncomfortable can’t they? so I ended up going in for a few packs of hooks and pva bags and left with a JRC Defender bivvy… oops after a 20min detour to the bailiffs house to pick up a part of my carp porter barrow that I left behind on my last (blank) trip 6wks ago, I got to the lake about 1pm, happy to see that I had it all to myself. I barrowed my gear round to the point swim, as I can see and cast to a large portion of the lake, where there was a nice gentle breeze drifting in, and set up the gear. I rigged up a pair of Fox Horizon X4S TT 12ft rods with my Fox EOS 12000 Reels spooled with 12lb synchro XT mainline, to a length of Korda leadcore fished helicopter style, hook links being 10” fox cortex soft coated braid, fished to a size 6 ESP Clawhammer hook fished slip D style and a 1” length of shink tube, line-aligner style. Bait was my fishy boilie offering. breaking out the marker rod, I found a nice silty hump with 7.5ft of water over it, with the surrounding lakebed 9ft deep. It was plenty big enough for the 2 rods that I would be using, although what was obvious was the lack of water, it was at least 2ft down from its usual summer levels. As a result, the lake hadn’t been fishing well, but who cares! I’m out on the bank in the sun and a carp just came out up to the wrist of its tail only feet from my marker float bobbing about. i catapulted about 100-150 baits over the hump and cast both rods to their respective spots. One on a 7 bait stringer and one in a pva bag. Now obviously, a soft coated hooklinks 10 inches long aren’t ideal for for pva bag use, and I really couldn’t be bothered to faff about trying up soft coated braided links, so snipped off the corner of the large pva bag and threaded the hook link through the hole so the hook link dangled out the bottom. After filling it with 1 & 2mm pellets and crusher boilie, I sealed it all up, then nicked the hook into the bag opposite the lead. It looked a bit noddy, but it was worth a try! with the rods out, it was time to get the base camp set up! You can see how low the water it as that gravel shelf is usually under water! now it was time to break out the new bivvy!! I lovingly unpacked it from its bag, laid it all out, fanned out the poles and started clipping it all together, only to find that one of the poles was snapped! Nightmare! Despite all my bodging attempts, this bivvy was knacked, so in an absolute huff, I wrapped the bivvy back up, reeled in the rods and trudged back to the car to chuck the bivvy in and grab the oval brolly, no decadent abode for me tonight! returning to the swim, I redid the rods (again!) and threw up the oval, still muttering to myself about the injustice of it all, a quick brew soon sorted me out though. the night soon drew in and the carp were getting more active and I retired to the carp cot around midnight confident on some action to christen the X4S rods that haven’t had a decent carp on as yet! at 1am, the left hand pva bag rod gave a flurry of bleeps, with the dinky esp bobbin tight to the Neville, so I struck and found myself into a plodding weight. After a pretty unspectacular fight, a carp was now nestled in the folds of my landing net. at 23lb, I was buzzing! The dodgy tied pva bag had done the job! with that working, another found it’s way back out there, and I got back to sleep. At 4am, the same rod absolutely flew, the Neville was screaming as I made my way to the rods, one shoe on one off. This one started beating me up from the get go, and after a spirited battle, a 21lb common hit the net, along with 20 tiny perch. with the pva bag working, I pressed repeat and got it back out there. As the sun was rising, I made another brew and watched the water as the sun came up (proper carpy that) once dawn had arrived, I climbed into the bag to get some kip, although it wasn’t to be, as the pva bag rod dropped slack. Winding down i soon felt the weight and soon had the carp boring down the margins, where it promptly beached itself! I couldn’t get it in the net, so gently guided it into deeper water where it rolled into the net first time. At 26lb, it was an immaculate common! (Check out the realtree MC Hammer pants!) I redid the rod and had a celebratory cuppa, when 4 day anglers arrived, that was my sign to wrap up and head home, slightly earlier than planned, but I had my share, it was time to let the day guys enjoy this delightful little pool. swinging into the tackle shop on the way home, I exchanged the defective bivvy for another one, which is sound, so alls well that ends well.
-
-
-
Six egg mix ready for the pan, I’ve dusted them with dry base mix to prevent them sticking togetherafter boiling for 1min 45secs, (timed once the waters actually boiling) they are left in the garden to air dry for half hour or so, giving them a shake every few mins baits bagged and ready for the freezer
-
the “screw fix sausage” gun with nozzle cut to 12mm (ish - I’m not that accurate!) my eBay rolling table with sausage ready to go rolled 12mm baits
-
The base attractors, 20ml salmon oil (free with the basemix) 2.5ml belachan and 2.5ml shellfish sense appeals. Couple of oz robin red and a heaped tablespoon of blood powder added to 6 eggs, then enough supermarinos basemix to mix into a slightly sticky, tacky ball. (just the basemix, oil and shellfish SA on their own would keep the cost down and still produce a decent bait, the basemix has robin red in it, so it’s not essential to add more) the flavour shelf in the shed! white basemix is the protein bird food, the reddish sacks are supermarinos
-
I don’t get to do too much angling these days, shift work on the ambulance, young children and family time all come first. I usually get 1 overnighter a month (maybe 2 if my shifts fall right) and a few evening/early morning sessions a month during the summer months. For me, as I’ve always made my own baits, that’s where my confidence lies! I haven’t used a shop brought ready made in so long, that for me, if I were to rely on one for a seasons angling, my confidence in the bait would drop, so I’ve defeated myself before I’ve even started! Illogical I know, after all, readymades (frozen or shelf life) produce 1000s of whackers every season, but after all these years rolling my own baits, I’m supremely confident in them, far more than I would be with a bag of cell or something like that. Confidence is all after all! cost wise? Hmmmnn I’ve never really thought of it! A 10kg bag of basemix from premier baits costs me £60, it comes with 500ml of salmon oil. I roll my baits in 6 egg mixes, so add the cost of 6 eggs per bait making session… (I have 12 chickens so my eggs are free) From 10kg of basemix I’ll probably get 15kg of rolled bait. the flavours are £7(approx) a bottle for 100ml, I use 2.5ml of each per 6 eggs, my current bait has two flavours added haiths robin red, probably £13-15 a kg, but I’m probably adding a couple of Oz at a time. rolling table was a small 12mm one off eBay years ago, say £20? the boilie gun i buy from screw fix (heavy duty caulking gun) £23 but mine has lasted 2-3yrs before they wear out. so I probably spend £80-100 on ingredients that will last me 8months of angling. So £80 divided by 8 months = £10 a month on bait, I can use around 5kg a month, so 5kg for say £10-15 a month? £100 divided by 8 months = £12.50 a month all high quality ingredients, formulated to a mix that I have upmost confidence in, which (in my mind) are superior to a bag of shelf life’s, so it all works out. obviously if I needed to be ladling 5kg of bait per session then the cost goes up as I would be replacing used ingredients sooner.
-
Many thanks all! 3wks in and the sleepless nights are starting to catch up! well I took the new aforementioned banana baits to a local club water the other day for a quick few hours while my daughter was in nursery, I had 3 out to 21lb so that’s the biggest hurdle crossed when making your own bait, knowing it works!
-
Many thanks mate!
-
That’s exactly where I am when it comes to bait, i much prefer a food source bait over a bait that’s all food signal/smell but little substance. I could have used the same attractor profiles, flavours, oils and powdered attractors and bunged them into a 50/50 semolina/soya base, I would get bites on it short term, but I like having something nutritional that they will come back to, in the thought it is doing some good. of course it’s all guess work really, my fish meal baits have shellfish sense appeals and monster crab as a flavour, when I smell them, they smell like, well shellfish and crab! But that isn’t how the carp smell them do they? They don’t smell like we do as such, they recognise them at a different level, maybe the chemical base of the flavour. So theres me thinking well it’s 2ml of shellfish SA and 0.5ml of MC, but as the flavours are from the same company, which probably use the same base for these flavours, the carp are just detecting 2.5ml of the base chemical? After all, when we smell ethyl acetate, we smell pear drops, but the carp just detects ethyl acetate? So use 2 different fruit flavours with the same ethyl acetate base and to the carp it’s all the same? In colder waters, I want a flavour that’s more soluble, so it can escape the bait, I also wanted a coarser base to help with leakage, hence the bird food. Yet I added fruit factor 6 as a powdered attractor, which won’t have the same solubility, but can help in “repelling” silt ingress to the baits - my waters are pretty silty, but again, is this important? on one of my waters, I was told that I won’t catch unless I use pop ups to keep the bait out of the silt. All my carp in the last 2 seasons have been on bottom baits in the silt… when I fish pop ups, they tend to be low lying pop ups over the gravelly edges in the margins, fished in complete isolation. I know that the carp are in these margins regularly, so a single pop up in the right place will produce the goods. there is a belief that silt tainted baits will not be as acceptable to carp, but I disagree, they are used to feeding in silt, their senses through their barbules are extremely sensitive, if they detect a boilie in the silt they will still recognise the food signals it’s kicking out. One lad couldn’t believe that I had 4 runs in one night fishing bottom baits in the silt, when we talked about it, he said that when he fished bottom baits in the middle he caught nothing. But that’s not the bait, but down to the type of silt, where the hook bait was placed. some silt is horrible sour crud that the carp doesn’t like to feed over, but some silt is much finer, with a more neutral “taste” (?) without that sour smell that the carp will happily feed over, it’s where bloodworm and other goodies are naturally found so the bait presentation wasn’t the issue, the location of that bait was. if I offered you a nice meal on a clean plate, you’d eat it, if I offered the same meal on a plate that was smeared with human excrement, you wouldn’t go anywhere near it. That’s how I see it anyway. I still like to sniff my marker leads, as well as drill and score them to collect silt so I can see what it’s like
-
Afternoon all, so my fishing has taken a back seat for the moment with the birth of my youngest son 2wks ago, so to stave off the carpy withdrawal symptoms, I have started to play about with a few things to keep me busy… for a while, I’ve been thinking about bait, specifically something for the winter when realistically, I’ll be able to get my rods out again (my choice, a new baby is hard work!) my usual bait, consisting of premier supermarinos basemix, with cream palatant, belachan flavour at 2ml per six eggs, shellfish sense appeals at 2ml, a dribble (0.5ml) of monster crab flavour, 20ml of salmon oil, added haiths robin red, and a dash of blood powder to help harden the baits (the resulting baits are a tad soft for hookbaits without the addition of blood powder or egg albumin to harden them up - I don’t want to boil the granny out of them!) has for years been all I’ve ever wanted from a bait, it catches carp wherever I take it, so what more do I need?? well in the depths of winter, I felt that the bait might not be for the best, so I wanted something different… but what? now “back in the day” my go to winter bait was good old Richworth banana ester readymades, an awesome banana aroma, bright yellow in colour and something a little different to the usual pineapple baits most were using. Going to the big one show in Feb sparked the memory of banana baits when I brought a limited edition pot of banana pop ups that took me back to my youth! so why not just buy a bag of banana readymades and be done with it? Because I freely admit to being a bit of a bait snob, and would rather roll my own baits than buy a bag… (yet I have a bag of krill bottom baits for quick sessions and theres no bait in the freezer! I am a contradiction in terms!) i wanted a bait that would be a nice high leakage banana flavoured, yellow bait like a readymade, but I didn’t want it too in your face and I wanted it to have a nutritional value, so I wanted a readymade that isn’t a readymade, that hit you with a banana aroma but didn’t… in short I didn’t quite know what I wanted!! turning to premier, I ordered my usual 10kg of supermarinos basemix and also ordered 10kg of premier milk protein/birdfood basemix which they recommended for winter use. Tony also threw in a free bottle of monster crab/shellfish sense appeal blended flavour free of charge as he knew I use it - legend! now, I knocked up a quick mix of the birdfood mix with 5ml of CC Moore banana flavour - which smells exactly as I remember the old richworth bait to smell like, perfect! I used 10ml of salmon oil, which didn’t sit right with me, it didn’t quite match if you know what I mean! initial thoughts? The basemix wasn’t quite as “predictable” as the fish meals I'm used to rolling, I found the mix dried out and shrank, making it harder to roll and squeeze out of the boilie gun, some baits also split on rolling, so some work was needs there getting the mixture right. The resulting baits turned out ok, the flavour profile felt right to the nose, but I felt I could improve on the mix. when I first started bait making, I used carp company fruit frenzy basemix with essential bait fruit factor 6, which had a lovely “zingy” flavour, I then in 1998 discovered premier Aminos basemix with green lipped mussel and richworth boiled ham flavour or rod Hutchinson mixed herbs flavour - that was a killer flavour! I’ve used premier base mixes ever since. I was straight onto essential baits for a tub of fruit factor 6, I also found a bulk oil, “fruit seed oil” a blend of vegetable oils and fruit esters, that felt more in keeping with the bait then the salmon oil, so that went into the basket too, finally a bottle of thaumatin red (a fruity intense sweetener) also ended up heading my way… bring on the bait making! so this time, I added 1/2tsp of fruit factor 6, 0.5ml of thaumatin red, 20ml of fruit seed oil and 5ml of banana flavour to six eggs then added the milk protein/birdfood basemix slowly until I got it to the point that the mix was still slightly sticky. Giving it 10min to rest left it in the perfect state to go through the gun and roll nicely without any splitting. the baits were given a 1min 20sec boil that gave them a nice skin with a slightly rubbery texture, and to the nose they have a lovely banana/fruity undertone. They are a nice pale honeycomb shade with birdfood flecks. so have I achieved the “readymade/not readymade” bait ready for winter? Who knows!! I’ll give it a go on a few waters during quick 3-4hr sessions whilst my daughter is in nursery to see how acceptable the concoction is to my local carp, if they like it, then I’ll start trickling it into the winter waters to get them used to it. (Do we even need to do this anymore? I still do anyway…) my next project?? I have 20 x 2m black 28mm rigid conduit pipes, a can of expanding foam and a baiting spoon to see if I can fashion a DIY baiting pole for around £40-50… It’s amazing where your mind goes when you’re bottle feeding at 3am!
-
-
east sussex club/syndicates
ouchthathurt replied to Jack Acres's topic in UK Venues and Where to Fish
I’m a member of Hastings and bexhill angling club and Clive vale club, send me a PM if you’d like any information on these tickets mate -
something a bit different, Leeda Icon Elite Match rods and Daiwa 7HT multipliers, hunting bass at 5am! had a nice brace of bass, best going 4lb. (3 doggies too 🙄)
-
a nice break in the hail, from last week, broke out the “lightweight” kit, 11ft 2 1/4tc shimano Areo rods, okuma barbarian 040 reels, 10lb line.
-