Supermarket type liquids

elmoputney

Hi guys, 

I've decided I am fed up paying silly money for liquids and have been looking at alternatives, but I do love a liquid liver, fish hydro being among the favs 

I've seen things like the squid brand fish sauce and oyster sauce etc and chilli sauces, garlic sauces,loads of oils there are a lot of options, but which ones to go for??? 

I've used Molasses and don't like the stickyness of it although I can see the benefit of using it 😊I still have a 5l Container that doesn't seem to go down but mixed with a thinner liquid might be great ingredient 

I want to make a 1 off concoction that's garlicky, fishy and maybe marmite yeasty, it's mainly to be used to soak pellets and boilies but being Pva friendly may also be useful, 

As usual I may be setting myself up for massively over thinking it but here goes 😂

Wow thanks guys some great ideas there, 

2 hours ago, emmcee said:

Marmite thinned down with fish sauce😉

I saw how you thinned the marmite earlier on a previous thread good advice thanks, and it goes well with peanut butter 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

you need to look to see if they are soluble most are you may need to look into how emulsions work with the flavours you wish to spread about the swim it's the emulsions that carry the oil based and organic flavours.

https://www.jessicagavin.com/what-is-an-emulsion/

I think I will have to read this one when I've got time to digest it but thanks 👍

56 minutes ago, greekskii said:

This. 

maggi liquid seasoning is good too. 

if you want a nutty liquid then buy organic peanut butter (myprotein is good for bulk) and thin with hot water before use. 

I hadn't even thought to use peanut butter and I've made some lovely dinners with it tbh, I've used it to make satay sauces and in curries and all sorts, I think that could be a great additive tbh would go nicely with coconut milk, or maybe creamed coconut if using a fish sauce or similar, in the mix, I was thinking about trying a nut bait alongside the one I've been using, I might have to make a nut liquid to enhance it further, I love peanut butter it's one of my favourite things, that's probably why I hadn't considered feeding it to the fish 😂

46 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Double strength Tamari soy sauce.

Vecon & Fish Sauce

Thanks will check those out, 

Thanks guys certainly given me some options to think about 😂 

Edited by elmoputney

23 minutes ago, B B said:

Here’s a pic of one of the best liquids can’t recommend it enough highly recommended …

A1AA14E6-013C-4C40-8CA7-E602CE0753AF.jpeg

I'm not a fan of rum tbh bit too piratey 😂

Screenshot_20220202_195330.thumb.jpg.13968f4e5862e9fed5cd19ca4060afc5.jpg

This is a recipe for a basic satay sauce, I would probably leave out the lime and honey, add a few bits and tweaks and it could be a winner, probably best to thin it a lot more too with a sauce, any ideas how I could make it a little more preserved as I worry it could go off pretty quick with some of those ingredients? 

My possible ingredients 

Peanut butter (crunchy) 

Fish sauce 

Coconut milk 

Marmite 

Maybe a soy oyster or Maggi sauce for an extra splash of flavour 

Maybe some curry spices too, could make it yellowish with some turmeric 😂

In my head it's a bit of a winner 🤞

Aloe vera would be worth a look got to get the right one which is pricey, but as it is going in a lake i wouldn't of thought the dilution rate in the bottle would matter much, same for worm castings  you will find big bags of castings for sale at garden centres, the vera hangs and clouds in the water better than any food liquid. combining the two might be something new? 

9 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Aloe vera would be worth a look got to get the right one which is pricey, but as it is going in a lake i wouldn't of thought the dilution rate in the bottle would matter much, same for worm castings  you will find big bags of castings for sale at garden centres, the vera hangs and clouds in the water better than any food liquid. combining the two might be something new? 

Good idea that, I once used some mole muck and made a groundbait mix with it using a fish hydro , I bet the worm castings would be a good thing to add to groundbait also 👍

9 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It's a very good glug poured over pellets and boilies not bad for a short term bait soak. (Overnight)

I guess it might be worth just adding the yeast as a powder and coating the bait with it, I just seemed to remember BAF do a yeasty liquid that you have to keep taking the lid off or it will explode 😂

I've put all those things (barring aloe, yeast, peanut oil, coconut milk and peanut butter) in groundbait, but I have used peanut butter and coconut milk and curry powder in boilies.  Ground star anise or 5 Spice Powder is good too.  One thing I don't see mentioned is chilies, and I like a hot element so Sriracha sauce or chili-garlic sauce (sambal oelek) would be easy to incorporate.  I have sesame oil and on the strength of Nick recommending peanut oil wouldn't hesitate to try it in a dip or glug.  As far as I'm concerned the sky's the limit; go through the fridge and try to find something a carp won't eat, and good luck.  People have aloe vera growing like trees in pots in their houses so I'd just strip it out of a fresh plant and blend it in.  The mad scientist angle is one of the things I like about it.

I read that carp follow ducks and geese waiting for them to poop, so I went to the park and collected goose poop (the old couple out for their early morning walk were horrified) and made boilies with it.  Oh it was terrible, labeled the jar with a skull.  A week or so later I was fishing on the river and they weren't biting, but I noticed some geese swimming by.  Took out those boilies and caught immediately then caught like a bandit all night, but I swear I'll never do that again.  For what it's worth Saskcarp was a few miles away at the dam and he caught just as well on different bait, so it may have just been the time.  

My cooking groundbait mantra is something salty (the fish sauce carries enough for me), something sweet (molasses), something hot (anything from hot sauce to chili powder, don't care), and something fruity like drink crystals or outdated soft drinks I got from the bar, juice or even old Red Bull.

We've soaked corn for hookbaits in oconut extract or liqorice extract and dyed it red, rubbed 5 Spice Powder on boilies, and corn, pieces of pool noodle and foam ear plugs.  

7 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

I've put all those things (barring aloe, yeast, peanut oil, coconut milk and peanut butter) in groundbait, but I have used peanut butter and coconut milk and curry powder in boilies.  Ground star anise or 5 Spice Powder is good too.  One thing I don't see mentioned is chilies, and I like a hot element so Sriracha sauce or chili-garlic sauce (sambal oelek) would be easy to incorporate.  I have sesame oil and on the strength of Nick recommending peanut oil wouldn't hesitate to try it in a dip or glug.  As far as I'm concerned the sky's the limit; go through the fridge and try to find something a carp won't eat, and good luck.  People have aloe vera growing like trees in pots in their houses so I'd just strip it out of a fresh plant and blend it in.  The mad scientist angle is one of the things I like about it.

I read that carp follow ducks and geese waiting for them to poop, so I went to the park and collected goose poop (the old couple out for their early morning walk were horrified) and made boilies with it.  Oh it was terrible, labeled the jar with a skull.  A week or so later I was fishing on the river and they weren't biting, but I noticed some geese swimming by.  Took out those boilies and caught immediately then caught like a bandit all night, but I swear I'll never do that again.  For what it's worth Saskcarp was a few miles away at the dam and he caught just as well on different bait, so it may have just been the time.  

My cooking groundbait mantra is something salty (the fish sauce carries enough for me), something sweet (molasses), something hot (anything from hot sauce to chili powder, don't care), and something fruity like drink crystals or outdated soft drinks I got from the bar, juice or even old Red Bull.

We've soaked corn for hookbaits in oconut extract or liqorice extract and dyed it red, rubbed 5 Spice Powder on boilies, and corn, pieces of pool noodle and foam ear plugs.  

Pigeon poo works as well

https://willyworms.co.uk/products/van-den-eynde-pigeon-sh-t-1kg

The supermarket oyster and fish liquid are great additives, I’ve used them in spod mixes, as a soak to rehydrate air dried baits, soaked nuts in it, groundbait, pellets just prior to feeding etc. I used to hair rig a boilie or nut stack then push it all into a pot of marmite so it was covered in it before casting. That used to be a right winner! 

10 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I used to hair rig a boilie or nut stack then push it all into a pot of marmite so it was covered in it before casting. That used to be a right winner! 

I used to this with the red pepperami as a kid. Caught loads on it. 

I mentioned thinning peanut butter before, I’ve done the same with Nutella. I was looking at a jar of biscoff spread in my cupboard just now and wondered if they’d like that! 😂 

I think the best supermarket liquid though, is baileys or any Irish cream liquor. I wouldn’t fish any birdfood or nut bait without using this as a glug for it. Especially through winter. 

19 minutes ago, greekskii said:

I used to this with the red pepperami as a kid. Caught loads on it. 

I mentioned thinning peanut butter before, I’ve done the same with Nutella. I was looking at a jar of biscoff spread in my cupboard just now and wondered if they’d like that! 😂 

I think the best supermarket liquid though, is baileys or any Irish cream liquor. I wouldn’t fish any birdfood or nut bait without using this as a glug for it. Especially through winter. 

The last time I took baileys with me fishing in winter I drank it all in my coffees. Never did get round to using it as a glug. 

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, everytime I look at this thread my brain gets a little more mushy and confused,😂

I like the idea of making the satay mix but then part of me thinks it will just go off if I make it in bulk , might become a faff to make all the time, or I would end up taking too many various bottles with me, I guess the thing I need to do is keep it simple and also on budget because I want to be using more liquids than anyone else 😲 otherwise I may as well just buy hydros 😂

I think I will just have to have a look in the world food section and see what I can find 👍

Some great advice and things to try though thanks 👍

On 02/02/2022 at 15:58, elmoputney said:

Hi guys, 

I've decided I am fed up paying silly money for liquids and have been looking at alternatives, but I do love a liquid liver, fish hydro being among the favs 

I've seen things like the squid brand fish sauce and oyster sauce etc and chilli sauces, garlic sauces,loads of oils there are a lot of options, but which ones to go for??? 

I've used Molasses and don't like the stickyness of it although I can see the benefit of using it 😊I still have a 5l Container that doesn't seem to go down but mixed with a thinner liquid might be great ingredient 

I want to make a 1 off concoction that's garlicky, fishy and maybe marmite yeasty, it's mainly to be used to soak pellets and boilies but being Pva friendly may also be useful, 

As usual I may be setting myself up for massively over thinking it but here goes 😂

I use molasses mixed with green lipped mussel powder with my particles