What's your plans for the new year?

elmoputney

Most of my time will be on the rivers and the canal. I've done 2 carp to 19lb on my tidal stretch, would love a 20.

Theres another river close by that holds a few carp, big chub and grayling, so will be trying for all them species.

Use the float rod more and just try for all the different species possible.

Then when it's summer I'll be taking the kayak out and doing some sea fishing, had some really nice wrasse this summer, but would like to catch something bigger 😁

On 20/12/2019 at 13:31, carpepecheur said:

Planning to spend some time fishing a new lake next year on an abandoned estate. I need to install some stepping stones across the boundary stream so I don’t get wet every time, make the hole in the fence bigger but not so big it attracts attention and undesirables, hack a short cut through some very dense brambles and clear a swim to make it fishable.

Well I'm jealous , Carpepecheur , that's  very exciting , even though it sounds more Indiana Jones than fishing ! .

😁

On 21/12/2019 at 08:23, bluelabel said:

Just to get out more whether it be for carp or other species... considering selling all my carbon gear and staying with my cane gear

I use my cane rod for stalking off the top , but at this time of year it's not seeing the light of day .

So I thought I would try using my cane rod instead of a carbon rod this Winter and see if it was practical if I needed to reach the far margin ; I gather you need a different casting  technique with cane than carbon .

I'm a small waters man so I should be o.k. , a big pit is not for me , then I may also sell my carbon foods to fund another cane rod .

🤔

On 21/12/2019 at 09:12, salokcinnodrog said:

August to October really brought my fishing back to life this year.

@crusian with a conversation we had made me realise how my fishing had become stale on Nazeing. It wasn't helped that it was a 70mile drive after work, and with my shifts I am often shattered so go first available swim, and often slept for 24hours out of 48.

Alton Reservoir is 5 miles away from my flat, so it is easy to pop down for a quick dog walk round a section, maybe pop a bit of bait in, although in 375acres...

I did enjoy my fishing on there this year, so hopefully it is a case of the same, a bit of roach fishing, some pike, possibly tench hunting, and probably carp hunting next year.

I'm very pleased that you're enjoying your fishing , Nick .

What would make me even happier would be if I stumbled upon you holding a monster of a Carp , just ready for me to take the 'photos .

😁

I want the Kingfisher(s) on my lake to just stay still for a while so I can get a good view , and if one were to land on one of my rods that would make my season .

Never mind actually catching a Carp , taking home wet net , sling ,and cradle is very overrated  ! .

It would be good to get some continuity going in 2020 , the last couple of years have seen interruptions to my plans due to health issues .

😃

My plans for 2020 are to find a new water, my current tickets aren't fuelling the fire like they should. I have been extremely fortunate to have caught the largest carp in two out of the three tickets, along with many of the resident fish, so on those waters they cease to be a challenge. A fresh water would be lovely. I've got my eye on a new river system so I might give the lakes a miss mostly this season. 

I am looking for a new job, my current post is under threat from closure so I might be made redundant, when is anyone's guess, I only get my shifts 4 days in advance now and I may well be unemployed tomorrow if it goes truly Pete Tong! 

I have applied to be a police officer, I have my fingers crossed that I get in, I love being in a job that allows me to serve the public. Army, NHS, ambulance service, now hopefully the police. 

I would like to relocate to Nottingham to be closer to my children, they live near Chester so it's a 12hr round trip at the moment, my partner and I have family in Nottingham and its only 2hrs from my kids. 

Oh, and I'm getting married in 2020... 

• 2 weeks later...

All ready getting things sorted for beggining of March. 

Ordered 50 kilo of particle to start. 

Getting waders next month so I can bait down the shallower margins effectively and place rigs by hand if I need to. 

Also going to order a 2nd gen thermacell for those summer evenings sitting in mosquito infested bushes.

My plans are seeing my make a massive change in my fishing. I am going to focus on a forgotten quarry which is miles from anywhere so days only, I'll also be heading to a number of other club/free days only places when access to the quarry isn't the best or the weather dictates. The quarry has wildly steep banks and is a good mile or so walk + through dense hedging to access it so its minimal kit with no brolly, I am looking at a tarp though. I MAY get back on the river depending on how spring goes on the quarry and other places. A few social weekends dotted in will keep me in touch with night fishing though. Winter I have no clue...to be honest I'm already looking ahead to 2021!

On a personal level I need to shift my every increasing 'dad bod' so healthy eating and some more exercise. I also want to get back in to writing my blog, I think it's been almost a year now since my last post. I have 4 in the drafts ready to type up but have not been able to find the motivation since early 2019. Hopefully I can reignite the spark as it's a great diary of events for me, as well as a hopefully enjoyable read for others.

21 hours ago, greekskii said:

My plans are seeing my make a massive change in my fishing. I am going to focus on a forgotten quarry which is miles from anywhere so days only, I'll also be heading to a number of other club/free days only places when access to the quarry isn't the best or the weather dictates. The quarry has wildly steep banks and is a good mile or so walk + through dense hedging to access it so its minimal kit with no brolly, I am looking at a tarp though. I MAY get back on the river depending on how spring goes on the quarry and other places. A few social weekends dotted in will keep me in touch with night fishing though. Winter I have no clue...to be honest I'm already looking ahead to 2021!

On a personal level I need to shift my every increasing 'dad bod' so healthy eating and some more exercise. I also want to get back in to writing my blog, I think it's been almost a year now since my last post. I have 4 in the drafts ready to type up but have not been able to find the motivation since early 2019. Hopefully I can reignite the spark as it's a great diary of events for me, as well as a hopefully enjoyable read for others.

Ha I started going to fat club again (slimming World) cos I needed to do the same, I've been piling it on of late and thought things need to change, had a good first week though - 7.5lb just another 4 stone to get me back to full carp fitness 😁

I do feel good for cutting out the stinky winky though, given up sugar in tea and coffee, the sugar cravings have been my downfall they always lead to chocolate, but it's always easier at the start, going to miss my bankside biscuits though 😭

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Re-joining a club for some local fishing. Desperately want to get back in to Dinton but realistically it will be another year at least. Still considering other syndicate options, probably either St Ives or Northey Park.

You looking at white swan or black swan? Some proper beasts in both now 

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Isn't there! I saw the pics of that long linear from Black (Spike I think it's called?). My word, next level that thing is.

Yes you have spike and saddle back, both upper 40lb linears if not 50lb. God knows how many 40's now to back them up. All the big fish in there were all mid to upper 30's or just hitting 40 when I was on there. 

As for white swan, possibly 3 x 50's and numerous 40's . Most of which are proper stunners.  I left white hating the place. When I first joined it i Ioved it but it became full of fish at all cost anglers, desperate wannabes. My name is on the list for white again  but can't see me rejoining,  unless I could fish mid week.  

3 hours ago, emmcee said:

You looking at white swan or black swan? Some proper beasts in both now 

Black. I fished both (mainly Black) on the Gold ticket but had to drop out this year; just couldn’t justify £1200 together with travel costs etc. So I’m waiting on a Black only ticket now. So many good ‘uns coming through all the time, a testament to Simon’s management👍

23 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I fished on the second drove at st Ives this year which lake would you be interested in? 

Probs Lagoon; had a look at it a few years back and it looks more manageable for weekends. For school holidays (Im a teacher) might be tempted by Meadows/Fjords👍 

21 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Probs Lagoon; had a look at it a few years back and it looks more manageable for weekends. For school holidays (Im a teacher) might be tempted by Meadows/Fjords👍 

There are some stunning fish on those lakes, have a look at Mark Boots Johnsons Instagram page he has caught loads of them, the lagoon can get very busy at weekends especially early season, but it is a stunning lake and there are some cracking fish in it, I found the second drove fried my brain but in hindsight I wasn't ready for it,and didn't have the time, summer holidays will be good for you quite often the lagoon can be quiet midweek, and Gordy has put lots of stockies in those lakes this year they will grow into nice fish too, one day I will go back and fish the lagoon, but I want to have fine tuned my skills a bit more so I am ready for it 

Be ready for the mozzies though they take no prisoners 😜😎

5 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Black. I fished both (mainly Black) on the Gold ticket but had to drop out this year; just couldn’t justify £1200 together with travel costs etc. So I’m waiting on a Black only ticket now. So many good ‘uns coming through all the time, a testament to Simon’s management👍

yes simon knows his stuff for sure. i had a gold card for a couple of seasons and like you fished mainly black in those couple of seasons. both hold special fish indeed. 

2 hours ago, yonny said:

I fished a water stocked with Simons fish. They were awesome little kippers and some of them were very tricky carp. They'd come out once very quickly after stocking, go missing for 3 years, then get banked at 30s!

That's Simon's fish for you. As a lot of us said who fished dinton, his fish are born with a brain. On white and no doubt on black there are fish that Simon assumes have died and they come out many years after their last capture.  The fish known as triple row in white, my mate caught it at 8lb many years ago and then appears next at upper 30. The surrounding ponds on the dinton pastures country park are all full of whackers. Un fed and just left to grow. Every now and then some one will be tasked with catching one to stock into white or black. A very good stocking policy and very well run. Just a shame it's become so pressured. 

49 minutes ago, emmcee said:

That's Simon's fish for you. As a lot of us said who fished dinton, his fish are born with a brain. On white and no doubt on black there are fish that Simon assumes have died and they come out many years after their last capture.  The fish known as triple row in white, my mate caught it at 8lb many years ago and then appears next at upper 30. The surrounding ponds on the dinton pastures country park are all full of whackers. Un fed and just left to grow. Every now and then some one will be tasked with catching one to stock into white or black. A very good stocking policy and very well run. Just a shame it's become so pressured. 

I had a dabble on one of the ponds (with Simons permission) they were blooming tricky on there too! 

The beauty of Dinton for me was summed up by Fat Al; ‘You never know what the next bite will be, could be 15 or 50’👍

4 hours ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

I had a dabble on one of the ponds (with Simons permission) they were blooming tricky on there too! 

The beauty of Dinton for me was summed up by Fat Al; ‘You never know what the next bite will be, could be 15 or 50’👍

You've met a right character there in Fat Al'. He catches them though. But he's certainly right.