Thought of the Day pt.2

greekskii

21 minutes ago, Highy said:

Well guys, the Inevitable has happened...

ALL the Fishing Gear has been sold.

I'm just gonna say farewell to you all, its been good to chat.

Take care and tight lines for the future.

Account will be deleted later tonight.

Oh mate that's a real shame, hope to see you back one day, whatever you do mate enjoy it, 

1 hour ago, Highy said:

You’ll be back 

dont delete the account 

stay safe and good luck in whatever you decide on next 

37 minutes ago, Highy said:

All good, just been on cards for a while, and spoke to a guy who deals in full setups local.

dont know you personally and have never met you but like the others here have said and especially @commonly i think its good that people checked in to see if you were ok, as with the others have said i think no need to delete account i took a near 15 year gap from fishing but we always come back in the end :). so long as you are all good and stay sane and well in whatever hobby/outlet you choose i sincerely wish you the best,

thank you for your posts and advice from time to time you helped an old dog learn new tricks

3 hours ago, Highy said:

In my past Iv had a couple of “ the inevitable has happened moments “

In my case it was a relationship problem and the other was when I was fostering… but came back to fishing which if I’m honest keeps me sane  

Keep the account open you got mates on here and you can always message us …and your posts were always good 👍

As for the fishing gear you can replace it 6 months or a year down the line the lakes will always be there and the fish will have got bigger ..still got to catch them tho

10 minutes ago, commonly said:

I thought you had a new campaign on a park lake? 

Nice that everyone is being supportive and we all hope you'll stay tuned.

Good luck fella

I did, i had 2 parknlakes planned....had it all planned, even told the wife, bought all the bait for it and everything.

1 minute ago, B B said:

In my past Iv had a couple of “ the inevitable has happened moments “

In my case it was a relationship problem and the other was when I was fostering… but came back to fishing which if I’m honest keeps me sane  

Keep the account open you got mates on here and you can always message us …and your posts were always good 👍

As for the fishing gear you can replace it 6 months or a year down the line the lakes will always be there and the fish will have got bigger ..still got to catch them tho

My lad has his little setup, 1 carp rod and 1 float rod, Terminal n bait (all in 2 bags) so if need the itch, I can use his, but it been on the cards for a while now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2024 at 16:47, ... said:

Hi Guys,

It is me "highy", all the gear went, but kept my lads back....

Rod bag with 1 Carp Rod setup + 1 Float rod setup, Bag with little bait n Terminal, Chair, Beanie Mat (need a coarse net)

His float rod is actually a spinning rod, so a new 6ft float rod and reelmis on way and I'm gonna start a little spinning setup, lures n spinners. 

44 minutes ago, yonny said:

Why mate?

Everything ok?

The fact you're on this forum on a Monday morning says you weren't ready to get rid of your gear!

Honestly, it was on cards for a while, it actually felt like a relief has been lifted off my shoulders. 

All good, I've just got way to much going on. 

I've need even had a thought about it really, I did come off the forum for a while, but just browsing chats now 👍👍

Fishing can be an all consuming hobby and it can take over your life. When my kids were young I used to get away at every opportunity and I do regret it now. I don't get out as much these days but feel I have a better family/fishing balance.

You were a prolific and interesting poster and we'll all miss your contributions but if you need to completely step away, then that's what you must do. I worked for the same Company for 30 years after leaving school and felt "tied" to the job despite the signs it was going downhill rapidly, the redundancy package was what kept me going until the end when it closed down. In the 15 years since, I must have had about 20 jobs but it was liberating because if I wasn't happy, I left. I had 2 jobs when I told them to stick it and left the same day. You don't know how good that feels!

Hopefully after a while, you'll come to realise what it was you enjoyed about fishing and hopefully it will outweigh the negatives you are feeling at the moment.

Good luck for the future.

7 hours ago, ... said:

Mad innit....

From this....

Screenshot_20240219_082247_Gallery.thumb.jpg.24b2e033a6f41d625fc454a03dc0ba40.jpg

To this....

Screenshot_20240219_082228_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e70cf28d0f0ead00b8438d7d4bb89d3b.jpg

this puts me to shame :) i haven't been able to get in so long as my gear was all over the place and in such a state that i had no idea of what was where or even if it existed in the shed at all. i have just finished a massive clear out and although still somewhat a mess i now know where everything is and found so much stuff to sell as i have more kit than i need or can use in my life time. i think i went mad when i started on the carp route and just bought everything and anything and have way too much for my needs. a few photos from before during and after, although the after one still looks a mess i know what is there now.

20240219_143622.jpg

20240219_150302.jpg

20240219_153828.jpg

11 hours ago, ... said:

Mad innit....

From this....

Screenshot_20240219_082247_Gallery.thumb.jpg.24b2e033a6f41d625fc454a03dc0ba40.jpg

To this....

Screenshot_20240219_082228_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e70cf28d0f0ead00b8438d7d4bb89d3b.jpg

Hi Highy

All the others have already wished you well , and alluded to the big hole you will leave if you stop posting so I can't really add to that .

Just a question though while you are browsing please - how do you keep Mice out of your fishing storage unit ? .

58 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hi Highy

All the others have already wished you well , and alluded to the big hole you will leave if you stop posting so I can't really add to that .

Just a question though while you are browsing please - how do you keep Mice out of your fishing storage unit ? .

To be honest, I just made sure there was no gaps anywhere, and also its a double lined storage unit.

This is the exact 1 and we're I got it from.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Outdoor-Storage/Garden-Storage/Keter-Cortina-Mega-Store-6ft-3-x-3ft-7-19-x-11m-Horizontal-2020-Litre-Storage-Shed/p/411994

Also have this 1 too...

Screenshot_20240219_224358_Gallery.thumb.jpg.53a28abe48b19aac12089decf12abafe.jpg

Edited by ...

21 hours ago, ... said:

To be honest, I just made sure there was no gaps anywhere, and also its a double lined storage unit.

This is the exact 1 and we're I got it from.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Outdoor-Storage/Garden-Storage/Keter-Cortina-Mega-Store-6ft-3-x-3ft-7-19-x-11m-Horizontal-2020-Litre-Storage-Shed/p/411994

Also have this 1 too...

Screenshot_20240219_224358_Gallery.thumb.jpg.53a28abe48b19aac12089decf12abafe.jpg

Thanks , Highy .

A typical  , helpful , Highy reply .

😃

• 3 weeks later...

Take care mate... you'll get the bug once more... In 2011 I lost my dad and I packed up for 2 years... my lass told me to leave the gear in the garage in case I started up again ( I did)

When I returned it wasn't the same, but the enjoyment for fishing was still there, I later packed in match fishing and got into vintage gear... I've not looked back... I still have my carbon carp rods but they are rarely used now.

I now don't fish as often as I used to  through ill health (collapsed back and knackered knees) but when I do the thrill is still there..

Look after yourself... 😎👍

6 hours ago, B B said:

How do we know it’s Highy 🤔 could be a stalker Iv heard about them … tell us what your favourite brand is we’ll soon know if it’s the great one. 

You will know it's him as he has a sticker on his car that says "Powered by Wigan Kebabs"