August catch reports

Its-grim-up-north

Having done next to no fishing this year I was very excited to begin my autumn campaign on Friday. I was actually due to start this week but conditions were improving so rapidly last week I just had to take the Friday off to get down there. I've only been baiting for 2 week so wasn't really expecting much to happen.

I got down to the lake at 04:30 and spent the first hour or two just looking and saw very little. I decided halfheartedly to get the rods on the baited spot but it was clear that it wasn't exactly kicking off down there. I kept my eyes open and by 7am I'd seen some activity way out up the pit. I went for a walk up there and as soon as I arrived in the swim a couple of carp head and shouldered a long way out. That was good enough for me so I legged it back to my swim and chucked the gear on the barrow.

Ten minutes later and I'm stood in the swim sorting the rods out. These carp were miles out and there was a pretty brutal cross wind so on goes couple of chods and I hit them full whack as far as I can. They land right in the zone and while I'm not expecting much to happen I now know there is a chance. I see two or three carp show over the next half hour before the right hand rod gives me a bleep as the tip pulls up and it's away. It's a long way out and with a number of weed beds between me and where I hooked it, it takes a while to get it in.

I fished this place last year and really struggled to get through the stockies to the old originals this pit contains, so I was buzzing to see that the first bite was indeed an original. This fish was stocked in the 70's making it older than me. A leathery old character and a rare'n to boot (not been out in 3 years I'm told). At 32 lb 10 oz it's not small either.

20200814_101013.thumb.jpg.a8e5c59acfd37f83b6cfa8e9e69b6aef.jpg

The rod goes back out but the shows I'm seeing are getting further to the right. So basically I start staggering the rods so the left is recast and becomes the right, and I carry on doing this every 15 mins for an hour. That hour passes quickly as I also sort the self takes out and not long after the fish is returned the right hand rod is away again. This one feels smaller from the start and so it proves, but size isn't everything and this 23 lb stocky common still puts a smile on my face.

20200814_114254.thumb.jpg.4ec54cb9d889cbe497ec87b7c0e45a1c.jpg

The action slows down after that, the sun comes out big time which kills the activity but hey, I'm not complaining. I keep my eyes open but nothing much happens so I end up going home a little early, more than happy with the result.

Really happy with the start and hope it's a sign of things to come over the next 2 months.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Having done next to no fishing this year I was very excited to begin my autumn campaign on Friday. I was actually due to start this week but conditions were improving so rapidly last week I just had to take the Friday off to get down there. I've only been baiting for 2 week so wasn't really expecting much to happen.

I got down to the lake at 04:30 and spent the first hour or two just looking and saw very little. I decided halfheartedly to get the rods on the baited spot but it was clear that it wasn't exactly kicking off down there. I kept my eyes open and by 7am I'd seen some activity way out up the pit. I went for a walk up there and as soon as I arrived in the swim a couple of carp head and shouldered a long way out. That was good enough for me so I legged it back to my swim and chucked the gear on the barrow.

Ten minutes later and I'm stood in the swim sorting the rods out. These carp were miles out and there was a pretty brutal cross wind so on goes couple of chods and I hit them full whack as far as I can. They land right in the zone and while I'm not expecting much to happen I now know there is a chance. I see two or three carp show over the next half hour before the right hand rod gives me a bleep as the tip pulls up and it's away. It's a long way out and with a number of weed beds between me and where I hooked it, it takes a while to get it in.

I fished this place last year and really struggled to get through the stockies to the old originals this pit contains, so I was buzzing to see that the first bite was indeed an original. This fish was stocked in the 70's making it older than me. A leathery old character and a rare'n to boot (not been out in 3 years I'm told). At 32 lb 10 oz it's not small either.

The rod goes back out but the shows I'm seeing are getting further to the right. So basically I start staggering the rods so the left is recast and becomes the right, and I carry on doing this every 15 mins for an hour. That hour passes quickly as I also sort the self takes out and not long after the fish is returned the right hand rod is away again. This one feels smaller from the start and so it proves, but size isn't everything and this 23 lb stocky common still puts a smile on my face.

The action slows down after that, the sun comes out big time which kills the activity but hey, I'm not complaining. I keep my eyes open but nothing much happens so I end up going home a little early, more than happy with the result.

Really happy with the start and hope it's a sign of things to come over the next 2 months.

Two stunners there yonny excellent angling mate. 🙂👍

On 17/08/2020 at 09:41, yonny said:

Nice fish them yonny

Yes - get in there, now were talking.

Proper fish - well done mate 👍

Great result and nice pics Yonny  👍

On 17/08/2020 at 16:33, bluelabel said:

Back home off me hols in Docklow now... had loads of F1 carp on the feeder as Its mainly a match venue, but it has some nice carp in one of the pools, so a bit of close in work was called for.... caught loads like this but it was good fun on the old gear

20200813_133949.jpg

Nice to see that someone else uses a centrerpin. I love using mine