2021 carp porter fat boy

Hi all,

Just ordered myself a 2021 carp porter fat boy. After recent sessions at new venues that were a huge walk and the ever increasing amount of gear I take with me I thought a barrow was needed. I even snapped the strap on my main luggage bag late last year with the weight of it when I put the strap over my head haha

How many of you guys use a barrow and have you ever looked back since buying it?

It was a pricey purchase but I'm hoping one I'll get years of use out of.

Paul

16 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Hi all,

Just ordered myself a 2021 carp porter fat boy. After recent sessions at new venues that were a huge walk and the ever increasing amount of gear I take with me I thought a barrow was needed. I even snapped the strap on my main luggage bag late last year with the weight of it when I put the strap over my head haha

How many of you guys use a barrow and have you ever looked back since buying it?

It was a pricey purchase but I'm hoping one I'll get years of use out of.

Paul

I just got the mk2 2021, distance in one journey is no longer a problem, I'm glad i went with the single wheel load it up right and there is very nearly no weight on the handles, i no longer dread packing up and lugging everything back to the car. the add on bags are well worth it just need the side bar bags and i will not need to take any kind of carry bag other than rods and bivvy, whish i had got one years ago three to four trip with the gear when i was taking the dog and used my unbranded folding trolley, it is made from very cheap steel so the more you put on the more it loads the weight onto the handles due to the frame flexing when you lift, got two wheels on the front, give it the nephew next time i call round, he won't be getting my old fox mx microns though,  

I can mainly drive to most swims now, but when it was flooded I had to use my barrow, I really regret selling my old Mk2 carp porter in the olden days, I ended up buying a cheap one when I started again, I've customised it with a new wheel and carp porter handles but it's still not a carp porter, and it's still not that great, I have to travel as light as I can when using it otherwise it flexes like a body builder In a gym mirror, 

A good barrow is a good investment tbh, but taking less stuff is still a good idea 😁

Edited by elmoputney

For overnighters you can't really do it without a barrow unless the car park is right behind the swim. I used to fish a local days only water and tried to do it without a barrow (about 400 yards from the car park) but the next day my back would be in agony.

My mate has bought 2 extra wheels to go on the back supports and a supermarket trolly style push bar instead of the handles and that works well but I haven't succumbed yet.

I always have my barrow in the car. 

Carp Porter Porterlite. I can't drive to every swim and Sky's food bucket and my 5 litre water container seems to be the tipping point (not literally) for carrying gear to the swim. 

I have the massive Rod Hutchinson unhooking mat, which makes a good barrow carryall for my food and bait bags, along with another unhooking mat for Sky to lay on rather than damp ground. 

Even pike fishing this winter the barrow was used for getting round to the dam wall swims, only a 100metres or so, but it makes a lot of difference. 

For a day session there really should be no need for a barrow... it tickles me rigid when you see all the YouTube vids about keeping mobile and theres a barrow piled high for a 10 or 12 hour session sitting  behind the presemter... my young apprentice is always moaning that I get to the water before him... I'm usually setting up bankside while he's still loading his barrow... ruckie, chair, rodbag, bait bag,  thats all I take for a day session... only use a barrow for 24 hours or longer and even then the only addition is bedchair and bivvy... the carping media has brainwashed folks into taking all bar the kitchen sink... sometimes a rod reel net loaf of bread and mat are all that's needed for a days fishing... I despair I really do

Edited by bluelabel

For days only sessions I don't take the bedchair or any cooking stuff, relying on sandwiches and a flask. I've tried slimming my gear down but it just creeps back up again! I've got a large rucksack I keep most of my gear in and the barrow just makes it easier to cart around the rod bag and bait - I do like a lot of spod late summer and into the autumn. If possible I try not to put up the brolly up as that is the biggest hindrance to moving but if the sun is beating down or it's raining, it's difficult not to succumb to the comfort.

48 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

For a day session there really should be no need for a barrow... it tickles me rigid when you see all the YouTube vids about keeping mobile and theres a barrow piled high for a 10 or 12 hour session sitting  behind the presemter... my young apprentice is always moaning that I get to the water before him... I'm usually setting up bankside while he's still loading his barrow... ruckie, chair, rodbag, bait bag,  thats all I take for a day session... only use a barrow for 24 hours or longer and even then the only addition is bedchair and bivvy... the carping media has brainwashed folks into taking all bar the kitchen sink... sometimes a rod reel net loaf of bread and mat are all that's needed for a days fishing... I despair I really do

I fit everything for a day session in my carp cradle and rucksack and sometimes a chair if it’s damp.

My dad on the other hand takes a bed chair, brolly system, cooker, barrow etc on a day session, like you, I’ve already got a rod out by the time he unloads and gets to the bank 😂 

5 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I'm usually setting up bankside while he's still loading his barrow... ruckie, chair, rodbag, bait bag,  thats all I take for a day session... only use a barrow for 24 hours or longer and even then the only addition is bedchair and bivvy... the carping media has brainwashed folks into taking all bar the kitchen sink

5 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

For days only sessions I don't take the bedchair or any cooking stuff, relying on sandwiches and a flask. I've tried slimming my gear down but it just creeps back up again! I've got a large rucksack I keep most of my gear in and the barrow just makes it easier to cart around the rod bag and ba

Essentially I would agree with you Blue, but sadly some days I struggle with sciatica and hip pain, so putting the gear on a barrow keeps me balanced as well as being able to walk faster. The days of carrying everything are gone. 

I carry only what I need, that does include chest waders and life jacket, I've not been conned into extras. I don't have bivvy table, but my floater rod may need setting up so spare hooklinks and hooks are in my tackle box. Go through that I don't think there is anything I don't use! 

I don't often take cooking stuff on summer days, but winter pike fishing a hot coffee is a big bonus, really warms you up, and tastes a whole lot better than flask coffee. Day times I often do pasta dishes (leftovers from dinner) which I can eat hot or cold. 

9 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I use my barrow as my seat 🤫

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Essentially I would agree with you Blue, but sadly some days I struggle with sciatica and hip pain, so putting the gear on a barrow keeps me balanced as well as being able to walk faster. The days of carrying everything are gone. 

I carry only what I need, that does include chest waders and life jacket, I've not been conned into extras. I don't have bivvy table, but my floater rod may need setting up so spare hooklinks and hooks are in my tackle box. Go through that I don't think there is anything I don't use! 

I don't often take cooking stuff on summer days, but winter pike fishing a hot coffee is a big bonus, really warms you up, and tastes a whole lot better than flask coffee. Day times I often do pasta dishes (leftovers from dinner) which I can eat hot or cold. 

Shot knees  (6 arthroscopies) and 4 collapsed discs in my back... (3 operations) I still manage to cart me toys about without a barrow... as long as I keep moving I can still keep moving... if you get me drift

22 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

Shot knees  (6 arthroscopies) and 4 collapsed discs in my back... (3 operations) I still manage to cart me toys about without a barrow... as long as I keep moving I can still keep moving... if you get me drift

I’ll carry on using my barrow just to save my back for the next 50 years lol

Totally agree about not taking excessive kit but it's very rare I'd just have a few hours floater fishing but if I did I would have very minimal kit. I like to think I'm young and physically fit and don't take excess on a day session but in my opinion there's nothing worse than getting all hot and sweaty right at the start of a session because you dressed yourself to stay warm whilst sitting behind rods for hours haha also I do like to take my bivvy on a lot of my day sessions now (depends on the venue) just for comfort especially if it's likely to be heavy rain etc 

The big problem I noticed with the fat boy is the big chunky wheel, great on nice flat ground. Not so much on uneven paths, I have had a few good laughs watching my mate tip over and giving up, then carrying all his gear. He even did it at linear first time out and the ground wasn't too bad. 

Imo change it for the skinny puncture proof wheel and you'll have a grwat barrow that can go anywhere. 

On 11/06/2021 at 18:24, welder said:

A quick tip on the topic of barrows. Don't, ever, leave the handles at home in the shed. Without them the barrow is of absolutely no use. Trust me.

Ian.

also helps if you read the set up instructions, putting the handles on with the stickers facing up looks right but you soon realise there is something wrong when the barrow goes over on the first turn.

1 hour ago, commonly said:

The big problem I noticed with the fat boy is the big chunky wheel, great on nice flat ground. Not so much on uneven paths, I have had a few good laughs watching my mate tip over and giving up, then carrying all his gear. He even did it at linear first time out and the ground wasn't too bad. 

Imo change it for the skinny puncture proof wheel and you'll have a grwat barrow that can go anywhere. 

I’ll never forget the time when I slipped with my barrow only for it roll down the bank breaking 2 rod tips. On that trip my mate lent me a spod rod to fish with it, 5lb test curve or something like that. Only went and caught my 29lb 2oz pb on it 😆😂 

I got the fat boy with the feeling that if anything it should be more stable than the other barrows. It arrives today so looking forward to having a play! I think I'll take it easy with it on the first session as it sounds pretty common to tip it over....no doubt I'll be that numpty!!

47 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

I got the fat boy with the feeling that if anything it should be more stable than the other barrows. It arrives today so looking forward to having a play! I think I'll take it easy with it on the first session as it sounds pretty common to tip it over....no doubt I'll be that numpty!!

Have a practice at home, to me it's about getting the loading right. I had a cheap Barrow and that was terrible to push no matter how you loaded it. I now have a diawa Barrow and it's a dream to push the balance on it is perfect, when it's loaded right it pushes that easily it doesn't feel like there's anything on it and no strain on your arms at all. You will love having a Barrow if you haven't had one before it makes life so much easier getting to and from the lake.🙂👍🎣

2 hours ago, finchey said:

Have a practice at home, to me it's about getting the loading right. I had a cheap Barrow and that was terrible to push no matter how you loaded it. I now have a diawa Barrow and it's a dream to push the balance on it is perfect, when it's loaded right it pushes that easily it doesn't feel like there's anything on it and no strain on your arms at all. You will love having a Barrow if you haven't had one before it makes life so much easier getting to and from the lake.🙂👍🎣

Yeah I saw a couple of YouTube videos that showed how much difference the correct load can make so I'll definitely be having a practice with the gear to see how it feels.

Is it quite common to get punctures? I did consider waiting for all terrain wheel version but carp porter couldn't give a date for restocking so I opted for the fat boy instead.