Thought of the Day pt.2

greekskii

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Lost one right on dusk 🙄... wasn't on for long,  so couldn't of got a good hook hold !  . Still it's back on the money & hoping for a bit more luck . which seems to of deserted me of late.

I know the feeling mate.

Was doing a night at my dad's caravan sat night and had a screamer at 2 am.

Something didn't feel right during the fight and when I got it close I realised there was a group of mussels the size of a football attached to the line.

Had about 3 foot of tubing on and it was an inch above the tubing.

Managed to get what looked at least a mid 20 mirror over the net and then ping.

Didn't get the net up quick enough to trap the fish but was close enough for the lead to land in the net.

The weather this week so far just hasn't let up blustery & wet non stop which is really ruining my rowing holiday 😁

I've moved again today to area where you just wouldn't want to present a bait , but I spooked a few carp in the silt earlier on this morning out in the boat while trying to work out my next move  . So I've packed up in the wet & gone for it , right up the other ending the lake,  couldn't find any feeding spots to speak of so just going to fish into the deep silt . 

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Well today it became apparent why we've struggled all week , biggest hatch of damsel fly's I've seen . So should think the carp have been pre occupied with the emerging/ changing nymphs.  Just bad timing ... been scratching my head all week & I think I found the answer today. 

So does this mean you're going to get Ziggy , Chill ? .

😃

Edited by crusian
Punctuation

10 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I didn't seem to notice a summer this year... 

It has been a very healthy year weather wise. No mental heat waves has meant the carp have continued to feed throughout the entire summer and this is reflected in fish weights. All over the country fish are coming out at top weights, MASSIVE weights. It's also done the environment the world of good. The grass is green and the water is clear, unlike last year when the grass was brown and the water was pea green!

Highy, I think you'll find that nobody "merges" with Angling Direct. They just get bought. Fosters of Birmingham were amongst AD's recent purchases. The place used to be well stocked and staffed by keen, knowledgeable people. Now the place is like a supermarket, staffed by people that don't even know where the keys to the display cabinets are kept. Two words come to mind. "Minimum" and "Wage". I wouldn't trust any one of them to even wash my car properly...…….

Ian.

7 hours ago, welder said:

Highy, I think you'll find that nobody "merges" with Angling Direct. They just get bought. Fosters of Birmingham were amongst AD's recent purchases. The place used to be well stocked and staffed by keen, knowledgeable people. Now the place is like a supermarket, staffed by people that don't even know where the keys to the display cabinets are kept. Two words come to mind. "Minimum" and "Wage". I wouldn't trust any one of them to even wash my car properly...…….

Ian.

Yeh true...same happened with mine...think it was family run at 1st (North West Angling Centre) was an old church turned into a decent size shop.

Good staff back then, but now 1 or 2 have been kept on and every time I've been it's kids running the shop.

1 hour ago, Highy said:

Yeh true...same happened with mine...think it was family run at 1st (North West Angling Centre) was an old church turned into a decent size shop.

Good staff back then, but now 1 or 2 have been kept on and every time I've been it's kids running the shop.

When it was northwest angling centre it was a really good shop I shopped in there for years, very knowledgeable staff what ever type of fishing you were into. And they were very friendly you could just go for a wonder around and a chat.When it got took over by angling direct I went in once and it was just like being in a supermarket and the staff were just there to sell you stuff and nothing  else, I was asking about alarms and they where trying to push me the more expensive ones when they found out I was on a lower budget they just didn't seem interested. Never been back since. 

I'll stick to my local couple of small shops near to where I live and what I can't get there I'll buy online. 👍

16 minutes ago, finchey said:

When it was northwest angling centre it was a really good shop I shopped in there for years, very knowledgeable staff what ever type of fishing you were into. And they were very friendly you could just go for a wonder around and a chat.When it got took over by angling direct I went in once and it was just like being in a supermarket and the staff were just there to sell you stuff and nothing  else, I was asking about alarms and they where trying to push me the more expensive ones when they found out I was on a lower budget they just didn't seem interested. Never been back since. 

I'll stick to my local couple of small shops near to where I live and what I can't get there I'll buy online. 👍

There is still 1 or 2 who will help you out at the Wigan A.D...Tom young lad and a older woman (lady) who really does know her stuff...every time I've been in and with little en she always asks are we ok found what you need and she helped me out once or twice. 👍

2 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

That shop been there for a while lads. I was seeing a girl in the early 90,s and she lived across the way from the shop. My only worry is what happens when AD own most tackle shops...... do prices go up and up as theve cornered the market 🤔🤔

I dont think they will be able to corner the market these days the internet pricing will keep them in check,if they take advantage the customers will vote with there feet 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I dont think they will be able to corner the market these days the internet pricing will keep them in check,if they take advantage the customers will vote with there feet 

AD are the cheapest around but snapping up the bigger shops around,it’s only a matter of time before they have major control,the average tackle shop just can’t compete 😒