The Putneys are going to francais need to travel light?

We have decided that you only live once and we needed a holiday, we had planned to do eurodisney and a weeks fishing at the same time but April is too early for swimming pools at French lakes, so we lashed out and are now going twice once this year and once next and doing eurodisney next year (but no fishing) 

Now as a family of 4, we need a bit of space In the grande c max, so I need to travel light, 

I'm looking at extendable rods diawa crosscast like mine but smaller can't decide on 9 or 10ft, nets, slings and cradle is provided, 

Anyone got any good tips for travelling light?

Can't decide on bait they do stock everything and not expensive but can I be confident using it? Going in August so will I need a lot? Needs to be freezer bait also? 

Well excited though 😂

13 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

My best tip would be to take the exact same approach you would in the UK tackle wise mate. If you need extendables then you need extendables but other than that just treat it the same. No need to spend big on tackle for French waters imo. They're just carp so no need to go mental.

15 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Going in August so will I need a lot?

Yes you will. Big fish have big appetites. I'd take 20 kg min.

8 minutes ago, yonny said:

My best tip would be to take the exact same approach you would in the UK tackle wise mate. If you need extendables then you need extendables but other than that just treat it the same. No need to spend big on tackle for French waters imo. They're just carp so no need to go mental.

Yes you will. Big fish have big appetites. I'd take 20 kg min.

Thanks that was the only thing tackle wise is just rods that don't need the whole car length to fit in really,I can get a cardboard tube from work for them to travel in,and just anything else that saves space, end tackle wise don't think anything will need to be different really, I use pretty strong hooks anyway due to weed, 

This is the lakes bait list not excessively priced to some I've looked at recently, 

Screenshot_20220526_075414.thumb.jpg.ace71402bd06ebaf75748a97ad89d61c.jpg

16 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I'm tempted to stick with what I know and use the retro

If you're confident in it, stick with it mate.

17 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

might buy some particles and bits off him though to bulk it out

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Stick to boiled baits and your average weight over the week will normally be higher.

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

We have decided that you only live once and we needed a holiday, we had planned to do eurodisney and a weeks fishing at the same time but April is too early for swimming pools at French lakes, so we lashed out and are now going twice once this year and once next and doing eurodisney next year (but no fishing) 

Now as a family of 4, we need a bit of space In the grande c max, so I need to travel light, 

I'm looking at extendable rods diawa crosscast like mine but smaller can't decide on 9 or 10ft, nets, slings and cradle is provided, 

Can't decide on bait they do stock everything and not expensive but can I be confident using it? Going in August so will I need a lot? Needs to be freezer bait also? 

Well excited though 😂

My travelling light days seem to be long gone  - I've got nothing for you there man, maybe get the family to take less 🤣👍

Seriously though have a great time and remember it is a holiday, I think a lot of anglers would do well to remember that - have fun 😎👍

Oh and ditto what Yonny says

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

My travelling light days seem to be long gone  - I've got nothing for you there man, maybe get the family to take less 🤣👍Seriously though have a great time and remember it is a holiday, I think a lot of anglers would do well to remember that - have fun 😎Oh and ditto what Yonny says

Yeah I don't plan on fishing all day everyday might just do morning and evenings I think no point burning the candle at both ends it's got to be fun for everyone, I think after the last few years we all just need a break tbh can't wait, 

It's only 6 acres I'm toying with the idea of using solid bags a bit, I could make up a bucket load in advance with shelf life hookbaits, that might work a treat I think then just throwing stick some baits around it, nice and simple stuff 

9ft 3lb tc or 9ft 3.5tc or a mix of both? 

I'm thinking 3.5lb would be better for chucking bags out but 3lb may be a nicer all round fishing rod maybe 2 3lbers and a 3.5lb beast rod 😎

I have the 3.25lb 12ft rods and actually they are quite nice all rounders and not horrible to play fish on, I have a sneaky feeling i would find a use for the shorter rods in my own fishing too if I owned them 😂

You’ll be surprised how much little gear you need to take. In the pic iv got a fox pop up mat, weigh sling, net with a 2 piece handle, umbrella, 3 ESP QuickDraw rods 10ft 3.5lb breaks down to just over 4ft, one of them doubles up as a spod rod, and reels, alarms , sticks, food and flask …. Apologies to any gear I haven’t mentioned…you just got to find room for the bike  🤔

Almost forgot to mention  the chair 

04023EBA-6F6C-4716-85EC-DD3154087EDE.jpeg

Edited by B B

12 hours ago, elmoputney said:

9ft 3lb tc or 9ft 3.5tc or a mix of both? 

I'm thinking 3.5lb would be better for chucking bags out but 3lb may be a nicer all round fishing rod maybe 2 3lbers and a 3.5lb beast rod 😎

I have the 3.25lb 12ft rods and actually they are quite nice all rounders and not horrible to play fish on, I have a sneaky feeling i would find a use for the shorter rods in my own fishing too if I owned them 😂

I'd go for 3.5lb will still play fish well but have that bit of extra backbone if required.

14 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I'd go for 3.5lb will still play fish well but have that bit of extra backbone if required.

Thanks but I've just messed up the need for new rods 😩

I've hired a roof box that will fit 12ft rods in 😭 good in some ways as I don't need to buy anymore rods but bad in that I don't need to buy anymore 😂

9 hours ago, B B said:

You’ll be surprised how much little gear you need to take. In the pic iv got a fox pop up mat, weigh sling, net with a 2 piece handle, umbrella, 3 ESP QuickDraw rods 10ft 3.5lb breaks down to just over 4ft, one of them doubles up as a spod rod, and reels, alarms , sticks, food and flask …. Apologies to any gear I haven’t mentioned…you just got to find room for the bike  🤔

Almost forgot to mention  the chair 

04023EBA-6F6C-4716-85EC-DD3154087EDE.jpeg

I'm not riding that all the way to France I would be skinny by the end of it 😂

Nice wheels though 👍

Just now, yonny said:

This is great news mate. Six acres is big enough for you to feel under-gunned with short rods and fish showing long imo.

It's £80 to Hire the roof box but it means I can take bait and my rods and probably chairs and a brolly so it makes sense really rather than needing to hire it all when i get there, so that is money we'll spent really I think 

Sounds like you'll have a great time elmo. What venue are you going to. I really need to get away to somewhere in France some time. Preferably an snall exclusive lake with swimming pool. I know there plenty of places, but I struggle to find decent reviews.

That roof box sounds like a great idea. I remember seeing one that looked like a converted thule roof box at some shows years ago. Just looked up roof rod boxes now and the inno ones look really good, but you'll need a separate box for the rest of the kit. Are you using a standard roof box setup or a dedicated fishing one?

3 hours ago, InteraX said:

Sounds like you'll have a great time elmo. What venue are you going to. I really need to get away to somewhere in France some time. Preferably an snall exclusive lake with swimming pool. I know there plenty of places, but I struggle to find decent reviews.

That roof box sounds like a great idea. I remember seeing one that looked like a converted thule roof box at some shows years ago. Just looked up roof rod boxes now and the inno ones look really good, but you'll need a separate box for the rest of the kit. Are you using a standard roof box setup or a dedicated fishing one?

We are going here this time,I just took the plunge tbh there wasn't a load of choice left for this year, but I did find quite a few nice ones along the way for another time if it goes well, best thing to do is email them and make a judgement on the replies you get I guess 

https://www.boisdeprintemps.co.uk/

As for the roof box I got quite lucky my neighbour was taking her kids on hols and had hired a roof box, I just phoned the guy and discussed what size I would need, and he happened to have a large one they use for skiing fits skis I think it's a thule (alpine) also, and checked the length was OK, 

I am buzzing tbh, can't wait just got to sort out all the details now like insurance, car stuff, passports, Channel crossing you know thr boring stuff 😂

I did message about bait last night though so hoping to get that sorted soon 🤔

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Like a house type building 

Oh right ok 😊

I bet you’ll all have a great time . I’ve broached the subject at home once or twice over the years but just get the look and a growl or two 🤣

Edited by newmarket

1 hour ago, newmarket said:

Ok I’ll start . What’s a Gite ?

Posh French word simply meaning shelter, but has come to mean second house, or holiday home to rent.

1 hour ago, newmarket said:

Oh right ok 😊

I bet you’ll all have a great time . I’ve broached the subject at home once or twice over the years but just get the look and a growl or two 🤣

If you can broach it again there are a few places that do a holiday home and fishing is available. So you can do the tour of the area and mix in a few days and nights fishing.