Ridiculous rules

pablo7uk

I feel I'm at risk of being slated for posting this but I'm really interested to see if others have the same views as me. Now before anyone gets the wrong impression of me I totally always respect all fishery rules, I just sometimes question the logic of the rules some fisheries choose.

Examples;

Limit of 1 pint of maggots per session, winter season only (this was on an 8 acre lake) 

No zig rigs

No shelf life boilies

No pellets (but yet the fishery will grow their own fish on pellets only and feed them into the lake in winter)

I just can't really understand why these things would be banned. This isn't an infinite list by the way...what ridiculous rules have you come across in your area?

Personally I just want to enjoy my fishing, respect the venue, wildlife and fish but at least have the simple freedom of bait choice and rig choice.

Just an afterthought...

No pellets or fishery own pellets only

No particles or fishery own particles only

I appreciate particles can be prepared incorrectly and pellets have a huge varience in oil levels but I feel both these things can be used as a money making opportunity, as fishing and buying bait doesn't cost us enough anyway.

Limit of 1 pint of maggots per session, winter season only (this was on an 8 acre lake) 

No zig rigs

No shelf life boilies

No pellets (but yet the fishery will grow their own fish on pellets only and feed them into the lake in winter)

For these ones and this is aplicable to all anglers and all waters so here goes

1. People over using them can be bad for the fish as proven at Linear a couple of years ago when one lake had to be closed as they believe the condition of the fish was caused by the over use of maggots.

2. Zigs, as much as i love a zig, on a super busy water it must be like the sharks swimming through the mine field in finding nemo with all those lines up in the water, leading to a large quantity of foal hooked fish and damaged fish.

3. As much as its published that things have changed with shelfies some companies have invested in better methods of preserving but even with what we are sold by the marketing alot are still ploughing the potassium sorbate route, fish cosuming baits at high levels using this method have resulted in long term poor health and fish deaths (Anglers Mail did a study about 10 years ago the fish that were feed purely on shelf lifes from that era died)

4. Pure money making scam, the main base of most pellets on the market come from 2 or 3 companies.

Hope this helps mate

Unfortunately most Committees are run by old farts who like to impose their will on us, despite the fact most of them haven't picked up a rod in years!

Several years ago I went along to a Committee meeting of my local club with the idea that I wanted to give something back and get involved. I left shaking my head in disbelief. It was all so well scripted the Communist Party would have approved and any suggestions from the floor were rubbished and the 'old boys brigade' on the fringes were quick to establish a return to the status quo.

Have a look at some Club's rule books and you'll see how they like to have every base covered and it just goes on and on and gets more ridiculous the further down the page they go.

Some rules are purely to generate revenue such as only boilies or pellets bought on site.

I can appreciate that you have to have some rules, for example not fishing next to electricity pylons or starting fires but others are more dubious.

Thank god I'm not the only one haha. Thankfully a few of the waters I wanna fish this year seem to be very reasonable and well run but I checked out a few new potentials last night and couldn't believe what I was reading! Safe to say I won't bother with those places!

There’s a runs water I fish that has a few weird rules but the most annoying one is

no artificial baits. Apparently a carp died, when they did a biopsy it was full of fake corn 🤔🤔🤔This was straight from the bailiffs mouth but not sure how true that really is lol

but never had my rigs checked there and must of done over 50 sessions there easy lol 

Ive never had my rod licence checked tbh, and never had a rig or bait checked in all my time fishing,

I get them banning certain things like bait and only wanting people to use certain types of pellet etc, there lake if it helps keep it open and make it pay so be it, 

Also think more lakes should ban bait boats, them people always break other rules 😜😜😁

• 3 years later...

So I got a circular from the fishery manager.  Seems a few have been sending a bait boat well into the out of bounds nature reserve. Fair enough, bait boats are now banned from that end the reservoir. I don't have one so doesn't bother me.

The bailiff who is due to take over as the old boy is 80, has now decided he wants to do rig checks, as he's found someone using a 6oz lead. The rules are 3oz? I use a 4 & curved hooks. Again no curved hooks allowed.

So I'm going to have to conform until I think he's done checking my rigs.

He's mentioned a few do's & don't's to a mate. Which I think he's just making up as he goes along.

This bailiff is a bit of a busy body know it all & I'm concerned once he takes over the management, it won't be the same tranquil fishery. 

Anyone else left a venue due to change of management? 

5 hours ago, commonly said:

So I got a circular from the fishery manager.  Seems a few have been sending a bait boat well into the out of bounds nature reserve. Fair enough, bait boats are now banned from that end the reservoir. I don't have one so doesn't bother me.

The bailiff who is due to take over as the old boy is 80, has now decided he wants to do rig checks, as he's found someone using a 6oz lead. The rules are 3oz? I use a 4 & curved hooks. Again no curved hooks allowed.

So I'm going to have to conform until I think he's done checking my rigs.

He's mentioned a few do's & don't's to a mate. Which I think he's just making up as he goes along.

This bailiff is a bit of a busy body know it all & I'm concerned once he takes over the management, it won't be the same tranquil fishery. 

Anyone else left a venue due to change of management? 

Mate .... I  joined a sydi  years back  .... deep mere up in Shropshire so it was a good 2.5 hours away , but the fish were stunning . I absolutely loved zig fishing there, it went down to 30ft & 12ft zigs seem to work a treat  .  Before the renewal came around they announced zigs were to band . I just knew it would do my head in watching the birds hit the hatch knowing that a zig would produce but couldn't fish them . 

So didn't rejoin.... real shame as I love the lake & the fish . FB_IMG_1517434805521.thumb.jpg.0b5faefc52827ff40fef8fab466e350f.jpg

2 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Mate .... I  joined a sydi  years back  .... deep mere up in Shropshire so it was a good 2.5 hours away , but the fish were stunning . I absolutely loved zig fishing there, it went down to 30ft & 12ft zigs seem to work a treat  .  Before the renewal came around they announced zigs were to band . I just knew it would do my head in watching the birds hit the hatch knowing that a zig would produce but couldn't fish them . 

So didn't rejoin.... real shame as I love the lake & the fish . FB_IMG_1517434805521.thumb.jpg.0b5faefc52827ff40fef8fab466e350f.jpg

Wow 

On 13/06/2020 at 14:42, jh92 said:

There’s a runs water I fish that has a few weird rules but the most annoying one is

no artificial baits. Apparently a carp died, when they did a biopsy it was full of fake corn 🤔🤔🤔This was straight from the bailiffs mouth but not sure how true that really is lol

Full of fake corn, that my man is the funniest thing ever.  What so people feed fake corn as freebies - that has and never will happen utter BS.  On the rig it doesn't come off 🤣🤣🤣

A biopsy on the fish - as if that happens when one fish dies 🤣

I would have humiliated him talking utter nonsense and treating me like a prat, it might have got heated.

Fake baits are always banned for the same reason, crack offs, cut offs leaving a permanently baited rig in the water, which is fair play.

One day ticket venue I've been to bans particle, possibly because of it not being prepared properly, which I fully understand, but also specifically no sweetcorn!!!

The most widely used bait, straight from the can being banned - unreal!

I use it anyway, just keep the tins in my food bag.  I'm pretty sure sweetcorn has never harmed anything, unless maybe you hit it with the can?

Edited by kevtaylor

What puts me off some waters is this business of having to prebook a lake and swim prior to arrival, a local complex near me that I used to hold a season ticket does this and it put me right off. I want to be able to arrive at a venue, look around the available lakes and swims and choose a spot based on fish location, weather conditions, watercraft etc, not prebook a lake & swim in advance, it might be a carp desert when I get there! 

they also banned leadcore but not lead free leaders, as the lead “seeps out and affects the water” so the lead in the lead core is dangerous, but the 3oz lump at the end of the rig is fine? 

they’ve now opened a farm shop, restaurant, fishing pods, glamping and little new age hippy shops all over the place… not my type of place at all! 

41 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

What puts me off some waters is this business of having to prebook a lake and swim prior to arrival, a local complex near me that I used to hold a season ticket does this and it put me right off. I want to be able to arrive at a venue, look around the available lakes and swims and choose a spot based on fish location, weather conditions, watercraft etc, not prebook a lake & swim in advance, it might be a carp desert when I get there! 

100% mate ...never fished a venue that does this .

58 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

15 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

100% mate ...never fished a venue that does this .

Totally agree.

I hate being in a swim I've got no chance of catching from, and unable to move because I'm 'booked in'.

Regarding the original point of pellets or particles, yes I can understand the frustration of having to buy fishery provided pellets or particles, but in theory it should be so we are not using high oil pellets or unprepared particles. 

The frustration for me is that I do prepare my own particles and rarely use high oil pellets like trout, salmon or halibut, and stick to coarse fish pellets except on rare occasions when I use a hookbait only halibut or salmon pellet.

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Full of fake corn, that my man is the funniest thing ever.  What so people feed fake corn as freebies - that has and never will happen utter BS.  On the rig it doesn't come off

Sadly I have seen it happen, it only takes a piece blocking the gut and it's a dead creature. I know a number of pike anglers including myself, who have stopped using plastic pike poppers after a few were found dead and post mortems were carried out. A popper attached to the deadbait was ingested, somehow the popper had broken free of the trace.

In terms of carp fake baits, if a hair breaks and the corn is ingested there and then, or even if it floats away and is picked up...

I don't mind a fake bait ban, again, I've stopped using plastics, although my crayfish resistant wooden balls would come under the heading.

There are carp safety rules, and match angler rules, some are designed to reduce carp anglers interest in a water, then the carp safety rules are designed or in place to protect fish and cover the idiot factor.

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Sadly I have seen it happen, it only takes a piece blocking the gut and it's a dead creature. I know a number of pike anglers including myself, who have stopped using plastic pike poppers after a few were found dead and post mortems were carried out. A popper attached to the deadbait was ingested, somehow the popper had broken free of the trace.

In terms of carp fake baits, if a hair breaks and the corn is ingested there and then, or even if it floats away and is picked up...

Fake corn being ingested full stop would be rarer than a unicorn on a moped, I've never lost any in 30 odd years, and I dont believe such a small item on it's own could block a fishes stomach. It's a big pig with fins.

I agree plastic baits are dangerous as ive pointed out, but for some baillif to come out with that nonsense is crazy, what like it ate a pile of fake corn utter nonsense, bloke needs a reality check.

Funnily enough one if the popular rules that annoys me is the rubber tubing one, I use rubber tube on my inline leads but not on a helicopter set up. 

The latest scam is a 10 thousand man syndicat spread over several lakes some of those lakes have four to five pegs.. good look with that ticket I would sooner do a few weeks on a good day ticket water.

14 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Fake corn being ingested full stop would be rarer than a unicorn on a moped, I've never lost any in 30 odd years, and I dont believe such a small item on it's own could block a fishes stomach. It's a big pig with fins.

I agree plastic baits are dangerous as ive pointed out, but for some baillif to come out with that nonsense is crazy, what like it ate a pile of fake corn utter nonsense, bloke needs a reality check.

Totally agree. When carp ingest something alien to them they just spit/blow it back out, even when it sucks in a mouthful of bait with sticks/small stones etc it blows the rubbish out and ingests the food. 

As for the bailiff,  obviously making up a story to back up the reasoning behind banning the fake corn, he went very overboard with it but some will believe the utter nonsense 🤣.

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

Really where's this?

Not sure on numbers of members but it is always taking on new anglers, eight lakes spread over five sites mainly in Herefordshire think it's called Arrowchurch or something like that one price gets you on all lakes, they are a bit spread out though, so if you turn up at one lake and can't get on the next lake is a bit of a drive.

6 minutes ago, Carpbell3 said:

Not sure on numbers of members but it is always taking on new anglers, eight lakes spread over five sites mainly in Herefordshire think it's called Arrowchurch or something like that one price gets you on all lakes, they are a bit spread out though, so if you turn up at one lake and can't get on the next lake is a bit of a drive.

Arrow Medow.

On 19/09/2023 at 22:47, kevtaylor said:

18 hours ago, emmcee said:

Totally agree. When carp ingest something alien to them they just spit/blow it back out, even when it sucks in a mouthful of bait with sticks/small stones etc it blows the rubbish out and ingests the food. 

As for the bailiff,  obviously making up a story to back up the reasoning behind banning the fake corn, he went very overboard with it but some will believe the utter nonsense 🤣.

Sadly it's true, a few fish have been found of various species with plastic baits blocking the gut, pike, bass, carp.

I will try to find the post mortem results, but it is fact and not fiction.