Bivvy Heaters

Carpbell_ll

After spending a little time looking into options for a heater in the bivvy i have come across a few fairly good options, i will start by dismissing candles as anything more than a more comfortable light than LEDs 

Making a small ammo box or paint can wood burner is popular for what canadians call hot tenting, it has to be well built using the correct sealants and chimney stack, A how to for making a stove without welding involved can be seen in the vid below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymdr-gAfZT0

There is also the gas option and it is also the safest with some common sense there are a number of different gas heaters for sale, the cheap ones you see in a lot of shops and one that is new to me called Mr heater buddy it is a lot more expensive than the 25 quid option from go outdoors coming in at a hefty £180 mark it also takes a larger gas bottle. I will link a few videos below that show carbon monoxide tests in tents and campervans i think you will be suprised by the results. they are using propane gas which is a cleaner burn than butane, I haven't seen any tests using butane and they also have a good quality carbon monoxide alarm/reader.

Carbon Monoxide Test using a Propane Heater in a Tent - 16 Hour Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OdbOLtsH3I

Then there is the electric option which would be my preferred choice but the cost of a silent generator and some fisheries don't allow the use of a generator on site are its downsides. 

Pinned by Edward Shin

As a disclaimer, I cant stress enough how important it is to make sure you have good ventilation where you use this.

Found on the gas version. The first one you need to cut a hole in your bivvy to accommodate the chimney!

This similar topic was covered a short while ago;

I said then that the risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning made any flame based heating device was too risky. Every year anglers die because of CO exposure and I think some Companies are being irresponsible even to sell them, whatever 'disclaimers' they attach to them. My message is simply 'don't'. Once you go to sleep and continue to breathe in the fumes all night, it 'locks out' your blood so that Oxygen can't latch on in the normal way and the only consolation is that death is relatively painless.

I can't believe they even sell so called bivvy heaters !!  A guy in Angling ~direct tried selling me one , even after me telling him my 7 year son was doing the night with me , I think the look on my face told him all he needed to know .

PLEASE PLEASE just use proper thermal clothing  , any heat source is always going to be restricted due to the thermal properties (lack of) of the the bivvy any way.

Carbon monoxide kills with NO warning .

As for pointing towards a youtube video to try and prove a gas heater is safe REALLY  , are all tents / bivvies the same size , material  , ventilation .

Just imagine  your next of kin telling the coroner - well he watched a youtube video and the guy in it said they were safe to use .

Buy proper clothing .

Edited by oscsha

1 hour ago, oscsha said:

I can't believe they even sell so called bivvy heaters !!  A guy in Angling ~direct tried selling me one , even after me telling him my 7 year son was doing the night with me , I think the look on my face told him all he needed to know .

PLEASE PLEASE just use proper thermal clothing  , any heat source is always going to be restricted due to the thermal properties (lack of) of the the bivvy any way.

Carbon monoxide kills with NO warning .

As for pointing towards a youtube video to try and prove a gas heater is safe REALLY  , are all tents / bivvies the same size , material  , ventilation .

Just imagine  your next of kin telling the coroner - well he watched a youtube video and the guy in it said they were safe to use .

Buy proper clothing .

Calm down each to their own choices the video i posted does not claim gas heaters are safe in tents what it does show is certain propane gas heaters can be used in tents for a very long period of time without giving off any carbon monoxide that is detectable to the reader being used the heater in question also has its own safety features such auto cut out if it tips or it detects low oxygen levels.

A bivvy with the letterbox opening in use and a back vent could handle a propane heater if used with a CO2 detector, but yes it would be foolish to seal the bivvy up and fall asleep with the heater running. 

I don't think either reply was an over reaction. The fact that are researching and sharing your findings indicates that you are in 'pre-buy' mode (and encouraging others in the process). You are playing Russian Roulette and I would urge you not to consider buying any device that has to potential to cause death. If the weather is very cold, I think you would lose more heat using a letterbox setting than you would gain from a heater so some people would simply seal up the bivvy.

Forgot to say the tent in the vid is not much larger than most bivvies and smaller than a base camp bivvy it also has a built in groundsheet.

I'm far from in pre buy mode as i won't be out this side of early march due to short daylight hours being too much of a grind under LEDs  if i was to use a gas heater it would be on the afternoons and early evening with quick blast warm ups when i felt the need.

No one is saying gas heaters and tents mix, if a heater works correctly with clean gas there should be no carbon monoxide coming from the heater if a gas appliance of any sort no matter where being used is giving off carbon monoxide it needs replacing or fixing. 

Tilley lamps are also an option something i would use if out this time of year.

If your someone who has to have their Bivvy all shut up when you go to sleep or a tiny letter box gap then a Bivvy heater is just asking for trouble ,

I had one bought for me last year ,but as I never have the front on my Brolly or Titan its never going to be a problem , and if the front does go on its because im facing into the rain and that in its self means its warmer so no need for one .

So it all comes down to whether or not you have the intelligence to use one correctly , IMO they are not dangerous , The danger is in the way they are used.

"Do you have the intelligence to use one correctly?"

I'm sorry, but as far as I can see there is no such thing as use one correctly, there are simply too many hazards around.

We have the obvious carbon monoxide poisoning, but also anything falls on a bivvy heater and you can have flames that take hold in seconds.

To keep heat in, you will want to shut the door. That increases your risks to start. Then while the heat is on, you may well fall asleep. Is that a sign of carbon monoxide in itself?

A stove in the bivvy is a big enough risk in itself. I  think every anglers groundsheet probably has melted patches on it from the stove in the foorway and putting a hot pan or kettle on it...

The answer is proper clothing, decent sleeping bag.

Finally, just as a reminder, and remember I know the guys concerned, it was that local to me:

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/bivvy-blaze-horror-81088

Plenty of dangers in stoves heaters and tents makes you wonder if the same fire tests are done on outdoor fabrics like they do on indoor bedding and stuff, a big fault with those little gas heaters you see in the shops is the gas cartridges are butane don't think you can get propane in those cartridge cans.

Electric hook ups in the pegs is the way to go for the modern carp fishery lol that's a carpmachine thread in the making, do know of one fairly popular carp lake that will do a hook up in two of the pegs, but they had a few water quality problems earlier this year so haven't been back since 

1 hour ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

I use a Nash indulgence 5 season sleep system and have done nights where the temperatures gone down to -6 and have still been toasty and warm. IMO you’d be better off forking out for a good bedchair and thermals, bivvy heaters are far to risky.

I have done winter nights for a lot of years, since the 1990's!

Sleeping bags alone have gotten a whole lot better.

I have been at the lake when the lake froze over that night, on more than one occasion.

I used to have a 'summer bag', which would go inside my 'winter bag'. Did I care the winter bag was red?😖😆😆

They kept me warm when it got cold.

Then I switched to a minus 12 Polar bag by Coleman.

Again very warm at night, when it was freezing over outside. In the morning I stayed by the lake until I had cooked my breakfast then drove home after freeing my lines.

I have made the point before that as anglers we are 'conned' by 4 season, or 5 season when in reality we could do with knowing how low you can go. A minus 12 bag will allow you to survive at minus 12, it does not mean you will be warm.

A 5 season bag is not always intended for the UK market as rarely does it get into constant month long temperatures well below freezing.

Then we reduce a bags effectiveness by diving in fully clothed, complete with jacket and overtrousers, reducing the insulation effects of the sleeping bag, then we get up fully clothed and can't get warm.

Sounds counter intuitive, but take off your jacket and fleece and sleep in single layer clothing you will feel warmer, and especially when you get up and put them on for the day.

Also diving into the sleeping bag wet does not do you any favours!

I have some pretty good cold weather clothing seal skinz socks snugpak thermals the softie trousers and jacket not snugpak but a very good chinese version, very thin and very light but unbelievably insulating, they just trap all the body heat and are very comfy, i also have the old Ron Thompson two piece winter set which is a pair of well padded salopettes and a heavy waterproof coat, trakka bag and throw,  it's just when you add a led light to it for any length of time is like sitting in fridge with the light on.

I borrowed my mates large gas bivvy heater, yes it was nice having the option to warm the shelter up or warm your hands after you've been outside, at the time it feels epic tbh

BUT it is dangerous no doubt, can you say that you will deffo turn it off before dropping off to sleep - it's a real concern.

Many years ago a guy told me that he was only alive because his mate decided to check on him at 2am, he was completely blue and non breathing (fell asleep with the stove on for warmth), his mate dragged him outside and resuscitated the lucky so and so.

All in all I'd say the guys above are correct, get better clothing and sleeping bag etc.

If you're going to use a heater use it in the day and switch off long before you get in bed!

Edited by kevtaylor

I think if you feel you need a bivvy heater then go down the 12volt blanket route 

I posted a couple a few weeks ago 

everyone is now carrying a charger of some sort so it would make sense and would be a damn site safer option 

or just go home before it gets that cold..

life’s short enough without shortening it any quicker

I decided against a heater in the end I got some base layers and thermal work trousers with my old fishing suit for extreme weather they got too hot last time though so I stripped off 🔥😁

Get a nice hot water bottle or two for the sleeping bag that seemed to work well last time, one for the feet and one for your back lovely, or stagger the time you boil the kettle for them that way you will stay warmer for longer 

• 1 year later...

By Jove i think i have it! Spirit alcohol burner marked for indoor use and available from BnQ , but what i like the look of is the one linked, the looped copper pipe and wick. I think it could be used similar to a candle heater but with enough power to warm up a heat retaining box lined with those blokes that go in gas fires.

I was thinking of putting a kit together and calling it the Common Sense Bankside Buddy, trading standards would be fine with that i'm sure.  

Alcohol spirit is still a hydrocarbon and will give off a percentage of Carbon Monoxide during combustion. Burning anything in a confined area (i.e. sealed up bivvy) is asking for trouble and lets be honest, if it's cold enough to need one, the bivvy will be zipped up. It's like playing Russian Roulette, 5 times out 6 you'll be fine!

As an add i 'm not planning on using anything i have listed so far this one is too flammable in the event of a spillage. i have seen a few photos on FB of guys with the gas heater in the bivvy, i just hope they are also using a CO2 detector. which is my main reason for bumping this thread.

The best option is still the electric generator route, but it would have to be a 2k watt Honda or Yamaha silent running, a 500 watt drain would barley take it out of tick-over making it very quiet running.     

I don't know about generators, I take far too much stuff fishing as it is! Your body is a heat generator and the best bet is to harness that but using clothing that is appropriate. In the winter that means thermal underwater and layering. Bobble hats, scarves and gloves are also pretty essential to trap and retain the heat you generate. One tip that is worth mentioning is buying a thermal shirt that will tuck into the bottoms with plenty of room to keep it there. I've seen far too many "builders bums" in my time but aside from the unpleasant view, the heat you are releasing will cool you down pretty quick. A pair of the bib and brace type waterproof over-trousers will also help with the heat retention massively.