Easy bottom bait rigs

jh92

I've kind of lost the buzz recently and find tying rigs a tedious task.Β 

I'm fishing the river at the moment so bottom baits are a must really. My current rig is a knotless knot with coated braid stripped down by the hair, with a small bit of shrink tubing on the shank to keep the hair next to the hook.Β 

It's the stripping the braid to the correct length and shrinking the tubing over a kettle that's making me not want to tie the rigs up in advance..

Any ideas how I can tie bottom bait rig even easier?Β 

Any suggestions welcome πŸ‘πŸ‘

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

I'm fishing the river at the moment so bottom baits are a must really. My current rig is a knotless knot with coated braid stripped down by the hair, with a small bit of shrink tubing on the shank to keep the hair next to the hook.Β 

It's the stripping the braid to the correct length and shrinking the tubing over a kettle that's making me not want to tie the rigs up in advance..

Atomic jelly wire don’t bother to strip it if you don’t want toΒ 

if you feel you need a hinge just use the teeth to break it above the shrink tube if you want to use tubing

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

Use silicon tubing instead of shrink tubing.

You could use a plain uncoated braid or even mono for rig tying.

Easy enough to know exactly how much coating you need to strip on coated braid though.

7 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

I’m gunna say the comment that is gunna make people wince, but buy some pre made rigs πŸ˜‚. I also hate tieing my own and quite frankly I’m rubbish at doing so. I’m all fingers and thumbs and they never have the finesse I would like. I do tie rigs on the bank if a situation demands it, but I use a fella on eBay who ties me up exactly what I want, when I want, and from what materials I want for absolute pennies. I don’t have the time to be pre tieing loads of rigs. Have a look mate. When it comes to being on the bank I don’t want to spend all that limited time I have tieing rigs either. I’m there to take in my surrounding and relax.Β 

Must admit as Danny says, pre-tied rigs made by tackle companies do make me wince, but if the need is there...

My reasons for disliking them are multiple. Biggest worry is what if I lose a fish on them due to a bad knot or hook? Who do I blame?Β If I have tied the rig it is my own fault, whereas if it is tackle manufacturer it may not be my fault.

Next thing, what happens if the rig is not quite right? I can shorten rigs, cut them at the swivel end, and reknot it to the mainline swivel. However I can't lengthen them. I can add an extension to the hair for the bait, an additional loop for a snowman, adding a pop-up, but often can't shorten it

Β 

I do have around 25 ready made rigs, that I have tied myself, in rig bins. I tend to design my rigs for the water I am fishing, so one rig bin contains Bromeswell rigs, one contains Nazeing rigs, and one will be Alton rigs.Β 

The fact that I use a revolving ring on the shank means I can change hair length, lengthen or shorten it.

I do have rig tying nights at home; every hook is checked, every knot is tested. I found tying at home means I can do things at my leisure. I found tying on the bank means I may make short cuts, not check something properly.

12 hours ago, jh92 said:

The thought of it is worse than doing it.

Imo it is not worth changing a rig you are confident in to save yourself 30 seconds.

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I usually sit and tie rigs when watching you tube on the telly, it's probably not as proactive and probably a lot slower but it's an enjoyable way to make them in advance of my sessionsΒ 

Abit like me...when im on early shift then when im home wife goes work then probably spend few hours that week tidying cleaning bits n bobs...but now im thinking a FULL new re-tying of rigs...

Cheers for the replies lads, I'm not very keen on the shop bought ones either, but that said when I was a kid I used to fish with them and didn't have many problems. One problem with the coated braid is stripping the correct length and then tying the loop knot at the bottom and not loosing too much on the tag end, it's never the same length and drives me nuts lol

Β 

I'm wondering if I could get away with with that iq 2 fluoro for rigs, I've also got uncoated braid, that might be worth a shot. I'm gonna check the tackle box and see what I've got πŸ‘

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

Cheers for the replies lads, I'm not very keen on the shop bought ones either, but that said when I was a kid I used to fish with them and didn't have many problems. One problem with the coated braid is stripping the correct length and then tying the loop knot at the bottom and not loosing too much on the tag end, it's never the same length and drives me nuts lol

Β 

I'm wondering if I could get away with with that iq 2 fluoro for rigs, I've also got uncoated braid, that might be worth a shot. I'm gonna check the tackle box and see what I've got πŸ‘

You can get loop tyer to get your loops all the same length, think its Preston and Gardner who make one suitable for hair rigs.

Β 

Β 

20 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

You can get loop tyer to get your loops all the same length, think its Preston and Gardner who make one suitable for hair rigs.

Β 

Β 

Just been and got a loop tyer, gonna give it a go πŸ‘πŸ‘

On 25/07/2019 at 20:19, bluelabel said:

yup... buy a pack of Korda Loop Rigs and some stiff booms.... makes a lovely bottom bait rigπŸ‘

Tried them myself the last two sessions out, they are an ok combi rig better than a coated braid rig but not as fine as a hand tied combi the join is not as good.

Can tieΒ my own combies and have been doing so for donkeys, but have started to look for something a little less taxing on the eyes, did think about getting some korda crimp pliers but a bit pricey for what they are so the booms are a good compromise, been thinking about using a differentΒ braid for the hook and tying my own hooks ups and connecting them to the boom section with a simple palomar knot?Β  Any thoughts on that anyone?

The Korda braid loops are a bit stiff out of the packet but become more supple when wet, think some of the finer Kryston braids would be a better hook section.Β 

28 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

bad eyes and arthritis don't allow me to make anything other than basicΒ rigs these days, so maybe I'll just buy the bits ready made from now on...

I probably will be the same, the loops are good and very easy to change when a new hook is needed and they take a sharpening, just never been a big fan of Korda hooks, might give the QL booms a go at some point, join the ronnie rig craze.

There is a smaller company called Gemini tackle that sell on facebook they do a fused boom section thatΒ looks good, have a look they do a full ronnie kit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/07/2019 at 20:15, jh92 said:

I've been using silicone lately as long as the hook eye turns to the angle you want it's fine, and easier to use as no steaming rqd I've just been cutting bits off old rig tubing will try and find a picΒ 

1565546342825448815598121158959.thumb.jpg.dadfd60097942b89f1d1a3fc988fb094.jpg

15635392165242382563883863915924.thumb.jpg.62d5946988c6178212c1ff3312a277cb.jpg

Edited by elmoputney

I've done away with any kickers over the last couple of years for bottom baitsΒ  . If you look at your first rig Elmo imo you've clossed the gape of the hook a lot , if you draw a straight line from your kicker to hook point your see what I mean . I personally think to big a kicker will mean more fish getting away with it ? .

Β 

3 hours ago, chillfactor said:

I've done away with any kickers over the last couple of years for bottom baitsΒ  . If you look at your first rig Elmo imo you've clossed the gape of the hook a lot , if you draw a straight line from your kicker to hook point your see what I mean . I personally think to big a kicker will mean more fish getting away with it ? .

Β 

I see what you are saying, would maybe better with a straight point, I guess the silicone moves when the bait gets picked up and straightens a bit , but something to think about none the less, I do tend to mainly fish pop ups and wafters tbh but always seeking to improve the rig so cheersΒ 

5 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

With that sort of kicker a straight hook would be better I reckon mate.Β 

I've spent all day doubting my rigs and trying to think of Improvements πŸ˜€, looks like another visit to the runs water will be on the cards I did try a simple knot less knot rig with a snowman using esp tungsten braid with a little silicone on the bend of the hook that was quite nice and simpleΒ