Fox spomb

Not ordered one yet but someone on another Forum said there smaller than the old one so i asked Fox the question regarding size large one not the medium.

They said.

Fox International

"They are smaller in size to the Spomb, however because you can completely fill these where before you could only half (just over half) fill a Spomb, the amount of bait they carry is virtually the same."

They are a snazzy colour tho lol

I have been using the Mini spomb this year and i must say, what a great bit of kit, you just can't beat it for putting hemp out, plus the birds keep away from them, unlike catapulting bait out. If the fox Spod can be filled one handed it will be a big seller as filling the spomb takes a bit of care or it wont open on hitting the water.

Horror stories starting to emerge on other forums. Apparently the pin that holds the lid on is prone to walking out of the hole. There's been lots of reports of them failing. Fox have actually acknowledged a problem of FB:

"our guess would be that the pin on the hinge has worked its way loose through not being flared enough this is the only issue we have seen with the hinge since the product was released, the hinge was bomb proof in testing, it just appears a small percentage of the tens of thousands we have made have not been flared quite enough by the pneumatic press".

Worrying.....

Horror stories starting to emerge on other forums. Apparently the pin that holds the lid on is prone to walking out of the hole. There's been lots of reports of them failing. Fox have actually acknowledged a problem of FB:

"our guess would be that the pin on the hinge has worked its way loose through not being flared enough this is the only issue we have seen with the hinge since the product was released, the hinge was bomb proof in testing, it just appears a small percentage of the tens of thousands we have made have not been flared quite enough by the pneumatic press".

Worrying.....

Yep i see one Forum in particular has a thread raging with disgruntled customers and this won't do the product or Fox any favours, Years ago you might never hear of this issue but the internet has made the world a very small place.

I hope they can sort it before things get way out of hand as people are beating on the drum about all their gear which i think is a tad harsh.

Own quite a bit of Fox gear and never had an issue that wasn't my fault lol

Edited by snoozer

I have been using the Mini spomb this year and i must say, what a great bit of kit, you just can't beat it for putting hemp out, plus the birds keep away from them, unlike catapulting bait out. If the fox Spod can be filled one handed it will be a big seller as filling the spomb takes a bit of care or it wont open on hitting the water.

Been seeing posts saying small particle blocks the release pin or can prevent it engaging correctly and opening mid flight :(

I've got one of these, although I believe that Spomb have blocked their sale in the UK from most places due to copyright infringement.

It's easily the best on the market, in my opinion.

That's what I have Dal though I have yet to use it in anger or otherwise :wink:

I've got one of these, although I believe that Spomb have blocked their sale in the UK from most places due to copyright infringement.

It's easily the best on the market, in my opinion.

I thought they were made from cast iron and towed behind a boat, Seen it on a program about finding ship wrecks or summit :)

cast%20iron%20lady_zpsev0z5crc.png

I have been using the explode since it first came out and would not consider changing back to a spomb. Just because they do not have the marketing  power of Fox does not mean they are inferior. I understand you CAN get them on ebay in UK. If not, Pacific Peche in France do a mail order service to UK. Look out for special deals on  that site from time to time.

I've an xplode as well, feel a bit bad, as seems like morally taking away from what seems to be a good small british company (spomb) but I have a mini spomb and won't be buying anything else spomb wise so I think my karma is ok. Xplode is good, works well re one handed loading find it needs to be cast with a high curve so it lands square on the nose or it won't open and can be effort to reel back in when I can't get it to skip on the surface. If the impact spod had confident reviews I think itd be better than the xplode and I'd buy one but not until the general view is all faults are sorted. I think Fox have royaly messed up their rep for a while though!!

Edited by nealjt

I have been using the explode since it first came out and would not consider changing back to a spomb. Just because they do not have the marketing power of Fox does not mean they are inferior. I understand you CAN get them on ebay in UK. If not, Pacific Peche in France do a mail order service to UK. Look out for special deals on that site from time to time.

The xplode does seem well made and is solid, with a spare release catch as standard, floats etc... Pretty much is everything the impact should be!

• 3 weeks later...

Got the medium sized version, used it over xmas break - loaded with just corn, wouldn't open on a short 10 wrap cast and wouldn't open on the 16 wrap spot either.

I'd say it opened on 2 out of 10 casts if I was lucky - to say I was annoyed is an understatement.  Surely they have had more than enough time to get these things right.

Really poor - supposed to open easier with the bigger button but it doesn't.

Stick with the Spomb people.

Don't like the way it comes back either on the rare occasions that it did open it came back jumping about - not smooth like the spomb, utter rubbish, very disappointed indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Absolute rubbish. Save your money. The hinge pin on mine came out on almost every cast.

I believe that was a fault with the first batch which was quickly rectified...... I'm sure some can correct if that is not the case though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that was a fault with the first batch which was quickly rectified...... I'm sure some can correct if that is not the case though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it this way, I have had a fair few returned, compared to no Spombs.