New purchases

B B

31 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Biggest I weighed was over 7lb.

That's a big shore caught ray!

They appear to have moved away this week though, but the crabs are active so they might move back into the area if the weather stays calm.

If not, the whiting caught are still fun.

Colder air temps moved them back out 

Screenshot_20240305_183530_Facebook.thumb.jpg.78971842aabe35b84dcedbbe30e0f27b.jpg

Screenshot_20240305_183526_Facebook.thumb.jpg.ee8c38eacf163e4ad65b6f760af7f405.jpg

Eyeing up these bad boys. Daiwa Sportsmatic 5500 BR, £250 for the set.

Has anyone used these reels? Looking to replace the shimano biomasters lol

Also just booked onto the same res as last year for 5 nights in April to help with the carp removal project again, buzzing for it 👌

Thinking I will try a bit of a different a approach this time, instead of 3 on a baited spot, will put 2 on it with one a rod length or two off. See if I can get a bigger one. They are in there, it's just difficult getting through to them because of all the smaller ones, but will still be happy with anything.

Hopefully a mirror or two again as well 🤣

2 hours ago, framey said:

Colder air temps moved them back out 

That, rough weather and seals. The seals on Orford are moving down as far as Bawdsey Manor and onto Brackernbury point. They will pick up thornbacks.

When I was catching it was flat calm most trips, with any southerly and easterly wind it roughs up around Bawdsey.

Should say that I've got the 2 7HT's and the other rod is a Daiwa Sandstorm. The Sandstorm does cast a bit further.

I wonder if any freshwater reels are still being made 30years after first introduction like the 7HT's!

Queried it with Daiwa's Simon Wheeler when I saw him yesterday, he was the rep who first got me to stock them in Viscount Tackle in Ipswich. Steady sellers ever since, and my personal view, better than the Mag version which came later.

22 hours ago, jh92 said:

Daiwa Sportsmatic 5500 BR, £250 for the set.

Has anyone used these reels?

They're basically a cheaper version of the Infinity BR's, which are essentially the bait runner version of the old 5000 tourneys. I had the infinitys for ages, and still use the tournaments. Absolutely awesome reels. They'll be bombproof fella 👍👍👍

1 hour ago, yonny said:

They're basically a cheaper version of the Infinity BR's, which are essentially the bait runner version of the old 5000 tourneys. I had the infinitys for ages, and still use the tournaments. Absolutely awesome reels. They'll be bombproof fella 👍👍👍

Wicked mate I'm gonna go for them 👌 I would love a set of the tournament -s reels, but they come in at just under 900 for 3 🤣

Just stocked up on bait kit, five kilo of DNA switch plus bits and a 25kilo bag of pellets a nice low oil one that will absorb a food signal liquid.

Really am looking forward to getting out, not getting a club ticket this year, I'm doing day ticket waters starting the end of this month all I need is batteries and a unhooking mat and I'm out out.

On 09/03/2024 at 14:54, bluelabel said:

Bought a 4th Sharpe Scottie 9'3" for stalking, its been rebuilt to original spinning rod spec rather than rebuilt as a carp rod... its a cracker

And for a bit of ordinary feeder flinging, a Preston Ignition 10' carp feeder rod

I do like spinning rods for stalking, they seem to have more feel than most short carp rods

On 06/03/2024 at 17:33, yonny said:

So I managed to get them for £200. Loving them, can't wait to try them out 👍🤣

1x 6ft NGT Profile Rod & Profile Reel.

Have 2 now, 1 as a Carp Rod Setup with Alarm, 1 as a Float Rod.

These are both my lads, but will use em if need the fix.

Another setup purchase (but predator)

Full Savage Gear setup....Rod, Reel (loaded with Braid) Net, Back Pack, Lures, Traces, Forceps, Matt....all good for the Preadtor fish.

13 hours ago, jh92 said:

So I managed to get them for £200. Loving them, can't wait to try them out 👍🤣

Good lad.

Those old Daiwa reels are absolutely bomb proof. I picked up a set of Emblem Pro's (the fishing version of the old Emblem Spod Reel) for a couple of hundred quid to use on one specific water due to their silly long retrieve. I use them for 90% of my fishing now despite having several other sets worth much, much more!

On 11/03/2024 at 08:53, yonny said:

Good lad.

Those old Daiwa reels are absolutely bomb proof. I picked up a set of Emblem Pro's (the fishing version of the old Emblem Spod Reel) for a couple of hundred quid to use on one specific water due to their silly long retrieve. I use them for 90% of my fishing now despite having several other sets worth much, much more!

Yeah mate can't fault them yet! The only issue is one of the spools is not a sportsmatic-x but an infinity, it works fine but doesn't match, it has a black ring around the top instead of gold and in my head it won't catch 🤣🤣 luckily I found someone on Facebook selling a set with a spare spool and he agreed to sale the spool separately for £33 posted (legend lol)

Even though I haven't used them yet they feel solid and smooth. I also like you can get some upgrades for them lol. 

do I need to get out trying to hold out for the end of the month but I'm pretty much ready to go.

S&W bait and feed supplies are a good 'un they do the 25 kilo bags of pellets at a good price the bonus is free 24 hour delivery on all orders.

DNA can get a fresh bait out fast as well ordered Friday got delivered Tuesday dog was savage for it and he is a fussy eater as in he shyes away from junk food, throws chocolate biscuits around as if they were rotted carrion.

First trip of the year tomorrow but been busy buying stuff I dont need in prep obvs 🤣

Got the Solar undercover Pro sleep system, lighter than my SP Tech - will be on the barrow again this year so trying to lighten the load.  Got for £205, seen after on AD for almost £450 - unbelieveable ripoff.

3 pots of NS1 pop-ups discounted from a show in Essex.

Bird Torch - same show.

Then as I'm not buying a new 1 man bivvy and going back to my old Avid brolley system I justified that the money saved could be spent on the Fortis Tundra 🤣 Got the bottoms from the show with a £20 discount.  Then the coat after at full retail 👎

Oh and the Diawa 18 Emblem Spod 35 SCW QD Reel because my Shimmy Spod (new) ceases up whenever it's left out in the rain or damp (rubbish, what a let down thats been).

Think thats it, broke but happy! 😁😎

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

First trip of the year tomorrow but been busy buying stuff I dont need in prep obvs 🤣

Got the Solar undercover Pro sleep system, lighter than my SP Tech - will be on the barrow again this year so trying to lighten the load.  Got for £205, seen after on AD for almost £450 - unbelieveable ripoff.

3 pots of NS1 pop-ups discounted from a show in Essex.

Bird Torch - same show.

Then as I'm not buying a new 1 man bivvy and going back to my old Avid brolley system I justified that the money saved could be spent on the Fortis Tundra 🤣 Got the bottoms from the show with a £20 discount.  Then the coat after at full retail 👎

Oh and the Diawa 18 Emblem Spod 35 SCW QD Reel because my Shimmy Spod (new) ceases up whenever it's left out in the rain or damp (rubbish, what a let down thats been).

Think thats it, broke but happy! 😁😎

For going light, have you ever used a shroud instead of a brolly/bivvy? Thinking of getting one for work nights as I have to be gone by 5am 🤣

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

For going light, have you ever used a shroud instead of a brolly/bivvy? Thinking of getting one for work nights as I have to be gone by 5am 🤣

No chance mate, never fancied sleeping with no shelter - wouldn't feel safe somehow and can't fall asleep with mozzies buzzing around my head, have to kill them all before bed - the dog helps 🤣👍

Did a mid week overnighter in the open fronted brolley, worst night ever - red hot hiding under the cover with hundreds above trying to drain me of blood.  Work after was great 🤦‍♂️

I'd rather make 2 trips with the barrow 🤣

Edited by kevtaylor

3 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

No chance mate, never fancied sleeping with no shelter - wouldn't feel safe somehow and can't fall asleep with mozzies buzzing around my head, have to kill them all before bed - the dog helps 🤣👍

Did a mid week overnighter in the open fronted brolley, worst night ever - red hot hiding under the cover with hundreds above trying to drain me of blood.  Work after was great 🤦‍♂️

Hot weather I frequently don't bother with a shelter at all as long as I have somewhere shady for Sky, and she can paddle.

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Hot weather I frequently don't bother with a shelter at all as long as I have somewhere shady for Sky, and she can paddle.

Sounds perfect obviously, not tried to be honest but even without mozzies I don't think I could settle, but then you are tired - who knows not trying anyway lol 🤣🤦‍♂️

I'll leave it for you hard core boys 😎

9 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Sounds perfect obviously, not tried to be honest but even without mozzies I don't think I could settle, but then you are tired - who knows not trying anyway lol 🤣🤦‍♂️

I'll leave it for you hard core boys 😎

That's a no bivvy night

FB_IMG_1655460320338.jpg

22 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I'm quite lucky they don't seem to bite me but they buzz around my head and it drives me mad🤣

there was a hatch when I was on a res last year and the bank sounded like white noise, they would just swam around you. I tried them yellow candles which didn't work. bivvy all shut up with the mesh panels and they still found a way in 🤣🤣

I do get done by them horse flies though, they give a gnarly bite for a fly!!! 😠

I'm just a bit worried about packing the bivvy down and leaving it in the car and the moisture damaging it while I'm working 🤔

On 13/03/2024 at 15:40, kevtaylor said:

Fortis Tundra 🤣 Got the bottoms from the show with a £20 discount.  Then the coat after at full retail 👎

Coincidence. I just bought a pair this week too (the salopettes).

I went for the Sungpak Torrent Extreme jacket instead of the Tundra jacket. Really like Snugpak stuff and tbf if they did waterproof salopettes I'd have got them too. Impressed with the Tundras though I have to say.

On 15/03/2024 at 09:54, yonny said:

Coincidence. I just bought a pair this week too (the salopettes).

I went for the Sungpak Torrent Extreme jacket instead of the Tundra jacket. Really like Snugpak stuff and tbf if they did waterproof salopettes I'd have got them too. Impressed with the Tundras though I have to say.

Yeah I like snugpak - recently got an SJ6 in black, was supposed to be for fishing but I like it so much its my everyday coat instead.

I was gonna get another snugpak jacket SJ9 to go with the Tundra bottoms but I didn't want to rip it on the brambles, I've already got tangled in them this trip - cut my face up lol

I thought the tundras felt more hard wearing than the SJ6 fabric.

Ain't gonna be cold again that's for sure.

For wet weather I've got the Geoff Anderson which goes everywhere with me all year round, Fortis didn't make the waterproofs then but no regrets - both excellent 😎👍