New reservoir to fish

jh92

2 hours ago, B B said:

Best of luck jh. 🤞

I'm here mate and it's roasting, I don't think I've been in heat like this before, melting away 🤣🤣🤣 managed to get all the gear to the swim, bivvy up and rods on the pod but gonna just sit in the bivvy for an hour and make some rigs up, haven't got it in me to stand there feeling the ground with a marker and putting bait out, absolutely dripping 🫠🫠🫠🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Carp are showing and they've been coming out 👊

1694353137264954913426254661594.thumb.jpg.268b17a9cbdcd9f13483100ba0b99dcd.jpg

Edited by jh92

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Best of luck mate hope you have a load of whackers. 

Thanks mate 👍

1 hour ago, B B said:

You sure you’re in the right place…looks like the tide has gone out. 😳

How many acres ?

Just over 730 acres mate, water levels are down a bit but a nice area to set up on 👌

1 hour ago, crusian said:

I don't know what part of the country you are in , jh92 , but as you know there are thunderstorm warnings out .

As you say take it easy , don't get heat stroke like my Sister , after you've built this trip up / put so much thought and effort into it .

😃

Thanks mate, yeah the weather ain't too bad for Devon, my phone is saying maybe a few showers tonight and tomorrow morning then staying cloudy until Wednesday 👍 yeah I stayed out the sun for a good hour 🤣

38 minutes ago, jh92 said:

20230910_171209.thumb.jpg.839cab51d70fc9ab0328661feaee9ada.jpg

Buzzing 👊 had this little beaut within 15 minutes of getting the rods out. Was just about to put the first spomb out and it ripped off. Real strong fighting fish, wondered what I hooked into at first 🤣 anyway lads I'm off the mark 👌👌👌

Cracking start, well done hopefully that's a good sign for more tto come. 

From the stamp of fish you are getting, it would appear the trout fisherman have asked the club to get some carp guys in to see why their always catching these little hungry carp & perhaps affecting the bite/catch rate.???

I'm no expert, but from my very limited knowledge, some reservoirs don't have enough predators to keep the natural balance. So some species can start to take over.

There's been talk of the need for more pike, sturgeon, cats basically any hungry predator to keep the nuisance species in check on a few big waters near me.

The closest one, everyone I know says they get loads of cricket bat commons around 4-12lb. That used to be a trout only res. Now a carp syndicate. 

Try to drill the bailiffs and suss what their plans (or the purpose of this experiment is, or,) are for the water.

If they are really cagey, I'd suggest finding another ticket.

If they're nice as pie, hang in there, as it must have a few chunks at that size water.

7 hours ago, commonly said:

From the stamp of fish you are getting, it would appear the trout fisherman have asked the club to get some carp guys in to see why their always catching these little hungry carp & perhaps affecting the bite/catch rate.???

I'm no expert, but from my very limited knowledge, some reservoirs don't have enough predators to keep the natural balance. So some species can start to take over.

There's been talk of the need for more pike, sturgeon, cats basically any hungry predator to keep the nuisance species in check on a few big waters near me.

The closest one, everyone I know says they get loads of cricket bat commons around 4-12lb. That used to be a trout only res. Now a carp syndicate. 

Try to drill the bailiffs and suss what their plans (or the purpose of this experiment is, or,) are for the water.

If they are really cagey, I'd suggest finding another ticket.

If they're nice as pie, hang in there, as it must have a few chunks at that size water.

Yeah mate I was under the impression it was a trial the way it was worded, but we have big retaining pens in every 50 yards or so along the bank to put the small ones in which get removed. The small commons are being used to stock other club waters where stock is low.

Any mirrors that are caught get sacked and the balif is called, apparently they are like gold dust here 🤣

The fish are tested etc before being transfered to the new waters 👍

Anyway I just had a double run this morning and will get some pictures 😆

5 minutes ago, crusian said:

Is that your first double , jh92 ? .

Hopefully you are starting to work your way through the smaller Carp , and the big boys and girls will come along to find out what all the excitement is about ? .

😃

I've had 9 fish mate, 3 have been doubles biggest was just over 13 and a half 👍 hopefully get something bigger mate but to be honest I'm just happy catching anything from this size of water on my first go 👌

7 minutes ago, jh92 said:

I've had 9 fish mate, 3 have been doubles biggest was just over 13 and a half 👍 hopefully get something bigger mate but to be honest I'm just happy catching anything from this size of water on my first go 👌

Yes , as Nick has said before " enjoy the journey " .

It's amazing what you are achieving , with that size water I would have talked myself into abject failure before my first cast .

😃

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

That sounds like real fun. Like you I'd be absolutely chuffed to bits catching from there, although obviously that 20lb fish would really be the icing.

It's amazing what you are achieving , with that size water I would have talked myself into abject failure before my first cast .

😃

Never believe you will fail. Every barrier can be jumped or climbed over. 

The harder it seems to do, the more you enjoy every reward.

😃

Thanks mate, really enjoying it here so far 👍 

3 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

That sounds like real fun. Like you I'd be absolutely chuffed to bits catching from there, although obviously that 20lb fish would really be the icing.

Never believe you will fail. Every barrier can be jumped or climbed over. 

The harder it seems to do, the more you enjoy every reward.

Yes mate it's going really well, theres something about big waters and not knowing whats in there that does it for me 👍

I have had 10 fish so far and only had the rods out for just over 24 hours 👍 

Just had my biggest at 15lb 4oz 👌

20230911_200526.thumb.jpg.987e95937fd48b10366c1ca526680620.jpg

They really are hard fighting fish, this one was unstoppable to start with, peeling line off and kiting to the right, they feel like right monsters 🤣

Nice session that mate .... could be an awesome carp venue in a few years 😎

Those fish were definitely stocked at some point , I wonder  what the long term plan is ? 

Carp venue ? or growing fish to sell on & maybe letting a few anglers on to let them know how there doing .... certainly cheaper & less stress on the trout than netting .

14 hours ago, crusian said:

🥳

Well that Mirror's got to be worth an additional night for free 🤔

👍

Thanks, the fishing is that good mate I'm tempted to book friday/saturday/Sunday night as well, found an animal feeds supplier so can get some flaked maize if needed 👍👊

12 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Nice session that mate .... could be an awesome carp venue in a few years 😎

Those fish were definitely stocked at some point , I wonder  what the long term plan is ? 

Carp venue ? or growing fish to sell on & maybe letting a few anglers on to let them know how there doing .... certainly cheaper & less stress on the trout than netting .

Thanks mate 👍 

I was under the impression it was fishing to see what it holds because they used the word "trial", but yeah this reservoir is owned by South West Lakes and they will only allow carp fishing for the removal of carp because they were illegally stocked (by carp anglers I assume, there's been some stories lol)

It's to improve the water to keep it as a trout fishery. They have refused to open it up permanently as a carp water 🫤

The fish caught are being used to stock other trust/club course fisheries that they own and the small stuff are being sold on for revenue for the trust as well.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it all at first, because you're removing them from their original water, but if it helps the other trust waters i fish I suppose I'm all for it really.

Also fishing here has been like a dream for me, always seen it on the maps but never been able to fish it, now being able to is just awesome 👌

I know the lake that mirror is going in so would be nice to try and catch it in a few years time 👍

Anyway I've had 18 fish so far, reeled in last night at midnight to get a couple hours solid sleep. Feeling it today, got the wind blowing in my face, rods are out and some more bait 👊

11 hours ago, jh92 said:

Thanks, the fishing is that good mate I'm tempted to book friday/saturday/Sunday night as well, found an animal feeds supplier so can get some flaked maize if needed 👍👊

Thanks mate 👍 

I was under the impression it was fishing to see what it holds because they used the word "trial", but yeah this reservoir is owned by South West Lakes and they will only allow carp fishing for the removal of carp because they were illegally stocked (by carp anglers I assume, there's been some stories lol)

It's to improve the water to keep it as a trout fishery. They have refused to open it up permanently as a carp water 🫤

The fish caught are being used to stock other trust/club course fisheries that they own and the small stuff are being sold on for revenue for the trust as well.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it all at first, because you're removing them from their original water, but if it helps the other trust waters i fish I suppose I'm all for it really.

Also fishing here has been like a dream for me, always seen it on the maps but never been able to fish it, now being able to is just awesome 👌

I know the lake that mirror is going in so would be nice to try and catch it in a few years time 👍

Anyway I've had 18 fish so far, reeled in last night at midnight to get a couple hours solid sleep. Feeling it today, got the wind blowing in my face, rods are out and some more bait 👊

Thought something was going on mate .... enjoy 😎

It was dead quiet all day yesterday, really sunny and no wind. 

Then had 4 takes thru the night, first 3 was literally minutes apart, lost 1 but landed 2, then, got the rods back out and had another take but lost it. 

Just had another run this morning taking the total to 21 👍stopped weighing them and taking photos, only use them if something big or a mirror comes along 🤣