Distances and Wraps

7 minutes ago, Highy said:

I dont/didn't get a Cord with my Korda Sticks (Basix), I just do tip to butt on rods.

According to Korda you should get a green one

The BASIX Distance Sticks have designed to allow you to ‘clip-up’ at the required distance as
easily and accurately as possible, ensuring that you can recast to the same spot repeatedly
with your fishing rods and spod. Keeping a record of your spots will also mean that you are
able to fish them again on future sessions, should you find ones that are productive.
BASIX Distance Sticks have a stainless-steel point to allow them to easily be pushed or
screwed into the ground, and includes a green cord of exactly 12ft in length so that they can
easily be set the same distance apart each time. A T-bar is supplied to ensure they go into 
almost any ground with ease. 

Edited by framey

6 minutes ago, framey said:

includes a green cord of exactly 12ft in length so that they can

easily be set the same distance apart each time. A T-bar is supplied to ensure they go into 
almost any ground with ease. 

🤔🤔🤔 have to take a look, got bar but no cord.

4 hours ago, framey said:

That just proves the point that a wrap is what ever distance you want it to be.

I can’t be bothered with this any more lol

It proves my point that a wrap is not a  unit of measurement, whereas a metre, or yard is:wink:

That has been my argument all the way through.

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It proves my point that a wrap is not a  unit of measurement, whereas a metre, or yard is:wink:

That has been my argument all the way through.

C'mon Nick.

As far as english carp fishing goes, a wrap is generally considered 12ft. Not metric measurements. 

Same as weigh our fish in pounds and ounces, not kilos.

We dipped our toe into European measurements,  but unfortunately it's the British way to do things the hard way.

God save the pound! I mean Queen. Oops I meant King 🤴 

Interesting thread 🤣

I use sticks for most of my range fishing but have noticed they can be a little inaccurate.

I was fishing at 120 yards, wrap up 30 times and clip up when the tip is next to the distance stick (might of worded that wrong 🤣) wind the line back onto the reel etc. Anyway I wasn't sure if I actually counted 30 wraps correctly, so I wrapped it back around the sticks again and noticed it was like 2 - 3ft off.

I'm sure it was due to how tight/loose the line gets wrapped around the sticks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by jh92

On 25/07/2023 at 04:49, jh92 said:

Interesting thread 🤣

I use sticks for most of my range fishing but have noticed they can be a little inaccurate.

I was fishing at 120 yards, wrap up 30 times and clip up when the tip is next to the distance stick (might of worded that wrong 🤣) wind the line back onto the reel etc. Anyway I wasn't sure if I actually counted 30 wraps correctly, so I wrapped it back around the sticks again and noticed it was like 2 - 3ft off.

I'm sure it was due to how tight/loose the line gets wrapped around the sticks.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Similar, wind and bow in the line can mean you are well away from your spots. 

This week with a strong south westerly, I was landing around a couple of metres short of my marker, and for some reason I couldn't hit my aiming point to the right.

I had to add another 'wrap', or 3.66m, 12ft to get in line, and that's just in 4 feet depth.

On 07/07/2023 at 17:27, salokcinnodrog said:

Mixed measurements 😂

I use feet for rod lengths and depths, pounds and ounces for fish weights, metres for distances, my weight in kilograms, and when I played American football, pounds, oh and for my passport 1.81m, yet 5ft 11in.

All over the place, like my spodding..

And casting...

On 24/07/2023 at 23:57, commonly said:

C'mon Nick.

As far as english carp fishing goes, a wrap is generally considered 12ft. Not metric measurements. 

Same as weigh our fish in pounds and ounces, not kilos.

We dipped our toe into European measurements,  but unfortunately it's the British way to do things the hard way.

God save the pound! I mean Queen. Oops I meant King 🤴 

Not sure about the King, don't wish him ill, but not happy that he took the throne after his divorce from Princess Diana and marriage to a divorcee...

He should have married her originally:wink:

FB_IMG_1690378370528.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 24/07/2023 at 21:59, framey said:

That just proves the point that a wrap is what ever distance you want it to be.

I can’t be bothered with this any more lol

just when ya thought the thread would fade away...i come along with my 2 pennies worth!👀

i still calculate distances in yards, and for years just used spool clip & turn of reel to calculate distance,(then tie line to branch and walk back) then a lot of anglers said to get some distance sticks, so mush easier...

so last year bought ngt 10 quid cheapos delivered, well i hate 'em! never any room in the swim, and blooming line twist, gone back to my old skool way!

38 minutes ago, Old_Skool_Carper said:

just when ya thought the thread would fade away...i come along with my 2 pennies worth!👀

i still calculate distances in yards, and for years just used spool clip & turn of reel to calculate distance,(then tie line to branch and walk back) then a lot of anglers said to get some distance sticks, so mush easier...

so last year bought ngt 10 quid cheapos delivered, well i hate 'em! never any room in the swim, and blooming line twist, gone back to my old skool way!

The main reason I use metres versus yards is because I know metres, we are supposed to be a metric country. 

With my back and hip problems I do sometimes use bank sticks as distance sticks, and convert 3.6metres into the distance I'm fishing. Not that it really makes much difference as with rising or falling water levels the same spot will change distance from the edge of the water.

I also noticed an increase in line twist using them as well, so do prefer walking the lines out.

There is also a difference between casting distance with mono and braid!

I would never go back to walking the lines out… never ever ever..,you get a run in the early hours hopefully to land a fish then you got to walk the length of a football pitch or further sometimes less maybe in wet long grass to find your broken branch mark that hopefully nobody has moved to use for themselves.  

I can’t recall having issues with line twist using sticks…but in the dark days before I used the sticks I was passing my nephew at the back of our swim’s doing the dreaded walk and noticed he was walking out his rigs with his bait runners on I said that explains how he was always getting line twist, he was never happy with his line 

Wraps, sticks, cords....????  naaaah... not for me...

Find a spot I like, mark the line with tape, put a big wide laccy band  or bit of bike inner tube on the spool (don't have line clips on old Abu's or Mitchells) and chuck it out with a stringer or PVA bag... you guys are over complicating stuff... and the above is only If I'm fishing at owt more'n 20 yards or so, any closer and I'm on a centerpin reel.... 

(Shakes head and walks off muttering about the yoof of t'day)😛😉😎👍

9 hours ago, B B said:

I can’t recall having issues with line twist using sticks…but in the dark days before I used the sticks I was passing my nephew at the back of our swim’s doing the dreaded walk and noticed he was walking out his rigs with his bait runners on

This👆👆👆

Wrap sticks cannot give you line twist unless you're taking line off the clutch👍