2023 social- who's up for it??

I haven't had anything. 

A few have, but fair to say nothing big. & few tench (better than bream)

I'll leave it to them.

Very, very weedy so hard to get spots where you'd want to put a rig.

It's not a runs water by any stretch, but hopefully we all have one by the end🤞

3 bites ....3 tench for me so far 🙈

Certainly not been giving them selves away. The most carp we've seen , unfortunately have been in a section of the lake only accessible by boat & none of us realised you had to bring your own to get to the swim .... kev was even online looking at buying one 😂 

I've moved this morning , new warm  wind so moved right into the teeth of it into the corner its hacking into . . Certainly more confident now than I have been . Proper weedy though so presentation is tricky.  Fingers crossed 🤞 

13lbAshmire.thumb.JPG.26d175c2d225e13499dcd44714047dd7.JPG

My little contribution to the weekends captures along with a tench. 

Sadly I blanked last night, no wonder the pub chucked at a showing fish  mesh bag didn't produce the goods came in looking like that, 

IMG_20230924_112030.thumb.jpg.79db79ac182bbbf1e125a7f10d1fce61.jpg

Cracking weekend though, lovely lake, good to share it with some of you guys, hopefully will get to have a return match sometime. 

Good luck tonight guys, hope you catch a few more belters. 👍🤞🤞

My only catch this weekend was a little tench (which saved a blank! 😂) It would have been lovely to catch a big carp, but it wasn't to be.

Still, a great venue, lovely lake with loads of carpy corners, with good food and company.

I look forward to the next time guys 🎣😁

I think it's fair to say none of us would be very good influencers/bloggers. Not sure why, but I think this maybe my longest write up. 

Sorry if I'm waffling on.

Hopefully one of the others can fill in some of the gaps??

So, we arrived Friday morning to glorious weather, carp showing all around the horseshoe shaped lake. 

A bit disappointed to discover we would need our own boat to get to the island swim. 

Walked the lake a few times, and did a draw. 

Surprisingly, we drew 1-5 numerically.?? It seemed a good omen.

In 2nd place I was lucky enough to pick one of the favoured swims. 

It had a bit of everything,  overhanging trees in the margins, 2 channels opening into the rear of the lake, off the back of the island with a long chuck of around 20 wraps.

Rods set up, time for the marker to find some spots. Oh!

Every chuck for the first 20 minutes plugged in thick blanket & Canadian weed. When I say plugged, I had to line the rod up with the lead and walk backwards??

This wasn't going to be as easy as I'd first thought.

Luckily it was clear in the channel to my left around the lillies, so put a bit of bait out & a rod on each side of the channel. 

I flicked around a light lead with 1 ft zig on the 3rd rod to try and pick off the fish that had been fizzing in the swim.

@kevtaylor went in next to me on the gate swim, with the road bank to himself. Fish showing at range, but not safe to fish for them due to the channel & island.

Rods out, set up camp, sun was out.

Just messaged the others how nice it was to do a bit of sunbathing & it poured down for half hour😄

We ordered the kebabs that Elmo kindly went to collect, had quick munch, beer and a chat. Then back to matter in hand.

Elmo had a mid double that night, fishing in the garden swim on the opposite side of the lake to me. Well done mate.

Next morning, no shows in front of me so I went for a wander. 

@chillfactor had a small tench & similar issues with the weed, that we were told was upto 8 ft deep!!!!

@dalej2014 was having a nap, so went round to see Elmo. Interesting to watch his approach with the boat and Deeper. As far as I could tell, the baitboat was a very effective way to fish this venue.

I could just see @chillfactorwith a nice bend in his rod, so made my way back to see his capture. Which turned out to be another little tench with 10 times its weight in weed.

Headed back to my swim with Elmo to find @kevtaylor bent into a lovely looking mid double mirror. Nice one.

We ordered fish n chips, delivered to the gate. Chewed over a few stories between us and thoughts for the night ahead. 

I had a lead around at the long chuck and found a clear spot. Put 2 rods out there and about a kilo of chops.

Woke up Sunday about 6.30, looked around. Beep, pause then a screamer, the bobbin hit the rod hard and I soon had the 19lber on the long chuck. It was an unusual scrap as the fish tried to bury itself in the weed. But I had a good hook hold and soon had it in the net.

It was a big relief having been in the favoured swim and not caught yet. Everyone had had a carp (or tench)  by then.

Elmo & @dalej2014 were heading home that day and everything went really quiet. The wind had picked up & changed direction. That was enough to make @kevtaylor & @chillfactor make the move to the middle of the lake.

@kevtaylor had quick payback with his mid 20 cracker. Well done sir👍& thanks for getting out of bed to take a few pics of my fish.

I didn't have much activity in front of me and considered moving, but felt it was silly to move having caught this morning. So I continued to keep the chops going in every few hours on the long chuck, occasionally a sprinkling on my margin rod.

The lads had spotted an otter causing havoc at their part of the lake at dusk.

I was woken around midnight to a screamer on my margin rod. Without my head torch I proceeded to trip over my other 2 rods and grab the screamer. I had a lovely bend in the rod, but something felt strange. Rubbing almost. I played the fish until I saw the surrender of his mouth out of the water. I couldn't quite net it??? I jumped in and scooped the net under the fish. I could then see that during the fight my line had wrapped around an overhanging branch. Fish secure I cut the line. 

Quick weigh up without my glasses looked around 14lb. Quick mat shot, didn't seem fair to wake anyone up for this little fella.

All quiet for therest of the night and morning. I had small fish showing on the long chuck, but no bites. Slow pack up and home for dinner time.

It was the first time on this type of social for me. It was kind of like meeting up with old mates after so many years on the forum. 

I'd definitely go again, take care gents and be lucky!

Had a great few days .... absolute pleasure meeting you all . & big thanks again to elmo for organising it 👍

commonly has pretty much covered the fishing side of things .... did fancy my chances when the wind changed & I  moved,  but should think the otter in my swim  killed any chance of a carp .

Well that's what I'm telling my self 🙄

Still great to get out & meet new people 😎

Big congrats to lads that did manage a carp  👏 

5 hours ago, commonly said:

I think it's fair to say none of us would be very good influencers/bloggers. Not sure why, but I think this maybe my longest write up. 

So, we arrived Friday morning to glorious weather, carp showing all around the horseshoe shaped lake. 

A bit disappointed to discover we would need our own boat to get to the island swim. 

It had a bit of everything,  overhanging trees in the margins, 2 channels opening into the rear of the lake, off the back of the island with a long chuck of around 20 wraps.

Every chuck for the first 20 minutes plugged in thick blanket & Canadian weed. When I say plugged, I had to line the rod up with the lead and walk backwards??

Luckily it was clear in the channel to my left around the lillies, so put a bit of bait out & a rod on each side of the channel. 

I flicked around a light lead with 1 ft zig on the 3rd rod to try and pick off the fish that had been fizzing in the swim.

@kevtaylor went in next to me on the gate swim, with the road bank to himself. Fish showing at range, but not safe to fish for them due to the channel & island.

Just messaged the others how nice it was to do a bit of sunbathing & it poured down for half hour😄

We ordered the kebabs that Elmo kindly went to collect, had quick munch, beer and a chat. Then back to matter in hand.

Elmo had a mid double that night, fishing in the garden swim on the opposite side of the lake to me. Well done mate.

@chillfactor had a small tench & similar issues with the weed, that we were told was upto 8 ft deep!!!!

@dalej2014 was having a nap, so went round to see Elmo. Interesting to watch his approach with the boat and Deeper. As far as I could tell, the baitboat was a very effective way to fish this venue.

I could just see @chillfactorwith a nice bend in his rod, so made my way back to see his capture. Which turned out to be another little tench with 10 times its weight in weed.

Headed back to my swim with Elmo to find @kevtaylor bent into a lovely looking mid double mirror. Nice one.

We ordered fish n chips, delivered to the gate. Chewed over a few stories between us and thoughts for the night ahead. 

I had a lead around at the long chuck and found a clear spot. Put 2 rods out there and about a kilo of chops.

Woke up Sunday about 6.30, looked around. Beep, pause then a screamer, the bobbin hit the rod hard and I soon had the 19lber on the long chuck. It was an unusual scrap as the fish tried to bury itself in the weed. But I had a good hook hold and soon had it in the net.

It was a big relief having been in the favoured swim and not caught yet. Everyone had had a carp (or tench)  by then.

Elmo & @dalej2014 were heading home that day and everything went really quiet. The wind had picked up & changed direction. That was enough to make @kevtaylor & @chillfactor make the move to the middle of the lake.

@kevtaylor had quick payback with his mid 20 cracker. Well done sir👍& thanks for getting out of bed to take a few pics of my fish.

I didn't have much activity in front of me and considered moving, but felt it was silly to move having caught this morning. So I continued to keep the chops going in every few hours on the long chuck, occasionally a sprinkling on my margin rod.

I was woken around midnight to a screamer on my margin rod. Without my head torch I proceeded to trip over my other 2 rods and grab the screamer. I had a lovely bend in the rod, but something felt strange. Rubbing almost. I played the fish until I saw the surrender of his mouth out of the water. I couldn't quite net it??? I jumped in and scooped the net under the fish. I could then see that during the fight my line had wrapped around an overhanging branch. Fish secure I cut the line. 

Quick weigh up without my glasses looked around 14lb. Quick mat shot, didn't seem fair to wake anyone up for this little fella.

All quiet for therest of the night and morning. I had small fish showing on the long chuck, but no bites. Slow pack up and home for dinner time.

It was the first time on this type of social for me. It was kind of like meeting up with old mates after so many years on the forum. 

Excellent write up, I almost felt Iike I was there 😂

Will definately go next time sounds fun. 

54 minutes ago, commonly said:

As above.

New venue required for autumn/winter social....?

I've heard that Linear have aquired a few more waters, not sure but may be able to book some pegs

Horseshoe? 

I've just had a look you can book some lakes now and a few exclusively too, I could be tempted if I can get the time away again. 

On 26/09/2023 at 10:02, commonly said:

Nice write-up.

Really wish I could have been there, and hope that another can be arranged and that I can get to.