Back to pastures old

elmoputney

8 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Oh good I'm not frazzled enough already 😂 

I only say that as the first time I went out on to dinton in a boat to retrieve a fish opened my eyes considerably.  The picture I had in my head couldn't have been further from what I saw. To such an extent that I started to change the way I  fished even though I was catching and obviously doing it right already. 

2 hours ago, emmcee said:

I only say that as the first time I went out on to dinton in a boat to retrieve a fish opened my eyes considerably.  The picture I had in my head couldn't have been further from what I saw. To such an extent that I started to change the way I  fished even though I was catching and obviously doing it right already. 

Well that's alright then because I haven't been doing it that right lately 

Surely it can only help 😂

On 03/08/2020 at 07:12, emmcee said:

I only say that as the first time I went out on to dinton in a boat to retrieve a fish opened my eyes considerably.

I've had similar situations. One water I was catching on the deck getting good drops but to look at from above you'd not even consider putting a rig there. Sometimes you're better off not knowing imo.

7 hours ago, yonny said:

I've had similar situations. One water I was catching on the deck getting good drops but to look at from above you'd not even consider putting a rig there. Sometimes you're better off not knowing imo.

I have been watching cypography, the last couple of weeks, some really good stuff on there, and most tend to back up what you and emmcee have been telling me,

I watched the elliot grey one where he fished Sandhurst and had a field day, but the morale of the story was he took his time and found the spots, didn't stop until he was 100% sure they were right, I certainly didn't do that right this week, I thought raking was all I needed lol, it wasn't, I also thought back to the windy one where I couldn't find a spot, I can forgive myself for that it wasn't easy Conditions but emmcee said there is nothing wrong with casting 100 times to find a spot, and that's what I need to keep doing, as elliot said they will be there somewhere 😁

I don't think it will hurt to have a paddle in the boat though might be interesting to have a look see what it's like out in the pond because it looks pretty weedy all over from the bank 

One of my trips to France... the one spot I was fishing was a pig to hit . 120 + yards two 20 millers on the hair & a length of tubing ( compulsory) & having to place it right on the edge of lillie beds that hadn't broke the surface yet . It would take a good few tries every time to get it spot on .... the " it will do attitude " wouldn't get you a take . Some lakes, there or there abouts is fine , others you have to be bang on or the blanks start adding up .

6 hours ago, yonny said:

Yup.

If you get a rig presented perfectly on a spot where the fish are prepared to feed then sooner or later you're going to catch one. Simple as that buddy.👍

I have got some spots I know, which have or probably will work at the right time, but I would like to find a few less obvious ones tbh, I will keep looking for those and hopefully find one soon amongst the weed 

I just want to also find the fish near those also, I seem to be able to find the spots and not the fish, or the fish and not the spots, it will come just needs some more working out, just need that moment when it all comes together, I'm enjoying trying anyway, I just quite like being there tbh, I might regret being too prolific 😁 I could be happy there for a while yet I think it's a nice place to chill out 😎

22 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I seem to be able to find the spots and not the fish, or the fish and not the spots

All part of the journey buddy. When you get to this point (when you know all the spots so you can just cast out when you find the kippers) it tends to become much easier, you catch what you're after, and it's time to move on to start the learning process all over again on some other water lol.

5 hours ago, chillfactor said:

One of my trips to France... the one spot I was fishing was a pig to hit . 120 + yards two 20 millers on the hair & a length of tubing ( compulsory) & having to place it right on the edge of lillie beds that hadn't broke the surface yet . It would take a good few tries every time to get it spot on .... the " it will do attitude " wouldn't get you a take . Some lakes, there or there abouts is fine , others you have to be bang on or the blanks start adding up .

I caught one on my first session on a spot that I had to fish over lily pads that hadn't come up, I had to get it Bob on otherwise it wouldnt want to return, wasn't so far out though furthest I've had to fish here so far was just over 80 yards and that took a few goes 😁 it was much easier then though without the pads not sure why more people don't like fishing in winter and early spring  😂

I think when I know the spot and how it should be, I find I won't be happy unless it's right, 

hopefully I can do a recce trip next week as I am on holiday and see if I can't get something started 

Thanks for the Input everyone 

49 minutes ago, yonny said:

All part of the journey buddy. When you get to this point (when you know all the spots so you can just cast out when you find the kippers) it tends to become much easier, you catch what you're after, and it's time to move on to start the learning process all over again on some other water lol.

No rush still plenty of nice ones to catch yet, and I think after last year I would take 3 fish from my target water, but wouldn't mind if I got to double figures with a 30lber included in that lot 😂

Can't you spend a day or 2 just plumbing swims? 

My first task on any new lake is to plumb swims. Obviously not all but ones that cover  areas of the lake so if the fish are there you can hopefully drop into said swim, wrap the rods up and drop onto spots with minimal fuss and disturbance.  So when you turn up it's a matter of just finding the fish and not then raking or plumbing swims. Obviously if you can't get into one of your plumbed swims then a bit of work will need doing. If your lake is small enough then do every swim or a spare evening plumb swims you've not done. 

I know all this takes time but it saves time in the long run. 

19 minutes ago, emmcee said:

Can't you spend a day or 2 just plumbing swims? 

My first task on any new lake is to plumb swims. Obviously not all but ones that cover  areas of the lake so if the fish are there you can hopefully drop into said swim, wrap the rods up and drop onto spots with minimal fuss and disturbance.  So when you turn up it's a matter of just finding the fish and not then raking or plumbing swims. Obviously if you can't get into one of your plumbed swims then a bit of work will need doing. If your lake is small enough then do every swim or a spare evening plumb swims you've not done. 

I know all this takes time but it saves time in the long run. 

I probably should just do this tbh, I havent properly yet, just done a few swims as I've fished them but maybe I will, wouldn't hurt to do this one day I am off next week, and I do agree would save time, I only get to fish an overnighter usually so banging out rakes amd leads all over the shop won't be helping my chances that much ☺️

Its a funny lake really 25 acres but split into sections, I've got some spots all over the snaggy island half I've fished nearly all of those and found something,  but the open bit I've not really worked out yet, another 3 or 4 swims and I might have enough to work with I think, In hindsight though I wish I had done it earlier when the weed wasn't so bad 

Cheers 👍

Taking the kids for a spot of rudd fishing tomorrow, they have never used a rod and reel before so it may be fun, the misses is also coming to spectate, can't wait, 

I might sneak a pva bag snide rod out just incase, but really looking forward to it, can't wait to have a bash at all those rudds, bought them a couple more drennan crystals today and another disgorger, and I got them 1/2 pint of finest white maggots so we're all set, going to try and go early as its going to be a scorcher 😎😁

Couldn't get a mesh bag 21 wraps so fished a single for a couple of hours, nothing unsurprisingly, 😁

The family kept me busy though, we. Bagged up on rudd,a few roach and the mrs had the biggest of the day a perch about 10-12oz, we had a bacon sandwich on the bank, and are now home as it is way to hot out there, nice morning though, I might start using the kids rods to pass away the hours those little okuma vibe rods are perfect for kids and daddies  😂 

Edited by elmoputney

Ummhing and ahhhing about what to use for pre baiting 

My initial plan was 3 times a week 

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and I was thinking heavy with particles Sunday (pigeon Conditioner) , lighter with bigger particles, maybe just maples, nuts or pellets, and some boilies Tuesday, then just boilies Thursday so there is usually something there but getting towards fishing time it's mainly boilies so they probably will be gone so I am not fishing over much old bait 

But then I keep thinking about the pesky nuisance fish, millions of rudd, some tench and bream, so while they might help me clear some spots they would probably also eat most of the particles and pretty dammed quickly too, those rudd are everywhere, just boilies would slow this down but would also make spot clearing harder work, then comes the finacial impact of just boilies, I can't afford much more than 20kg of boilies this month so if I was to just to do that I am probably only looking at a few handfuls of bait per spot per visit not sure that will make much of a difference 

I can handle feeding the tench and bream with some particles or pellets if it helps get enough bait out but want to avoid those pesky rudd who are a right nuisance unless the kids are there 😂

You can also get 25kg of skrettings pellets for 35 quid I could use a liquid to get the right signals on them at least and 11mm ones should be rudd resistant ? 

Any thoughts will be considered I would like to use quite a lot of bait over the next few weeks I think,

Having written this all down I am starting to think pellets might be easier to work with quickly, as they don't need a lot of prep, can be pulted, spodded, spooned and will breakdown, but at least the carp have an option to get there first, and alongside boilies and chops etc I can make the signals go a bit further, I can always just start the spots with a load of pigeon Conditioner and work from there hmmm 

@elmoputney I'd not chop and change throughout the week, it'll take longer to establish the spot.

Rather I'd start with bits (a vitalin or pigeon conditioner base with pellets etc is very cheap and clears it up in no time) before moving onto boilies supplemented with nuts (solely for the carp). Once the spot is being visited you don't need to put that much out. Get it established with loads of cheap stuff then cut down and just use the good stuff.

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Ummhing and ahhhing about what to use for pre baiting 

My initial plan was 3 times a week 

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and I was thinking heavy with particles Sunday (pigeon Conditioner) , lighter with bigger particles, maybe just maples, nuts or pellets, and some boilies Tuesday, then just boilies Thursday so there is usually something there but getting towards fishing time it's mainly boilies so they probably will be gone so I am not fishing over much old bait 

But then I keep thinking about the pesky nuisance fish, millions of rudd, some tench and bream, so while they might help me clear some spots they would probably also eat most of the particles and pretty dammed quickly too, those rudd are everywhere, just boilies would slow this down but would also make spot clearing harder work, then comes the finacial impact of just boilies, I can't afford much more than 20kg of boilies this month so if I was to just to do that I am probably only looking at a few handfuls of bait per spot per visit not sure that will make much of a difference 

I can handle feeding the tench and bream with some particles or pellets if it helps get enough bait out but want to avoid those pesky rudd who are a right nuisance unless the kids are there 😂

You can also get 25kg of skrettings pellets for 35 quid I could use a liquid to get the right signals on them at least and 11mm ones should be rudd resistant ? 

Any thoughts will be considered I would like to use quite a lot of bait over the next few weeks I think,

Having written this all down I am starting to think pellets might be easier to work with quickly, as they don't need a lot of prep, can be pulted, spodded, spooned and will breakdown, but at least the carp have an option to get there first, and alongside boilies and chops etc I can make the signals go a bit further, I can always just start the spots with a load of pigeon Conditioner and work from there hmmm 

One thing I would suggest if you can do it is to have one of your pre-baiting nights on a night you actually fish on. This way you can condition the fish to arrive on a given day, preferably on a day you're likely to be there. 

9 minutes ago, yonny said:

I normally try for the day before. I worry that spodding for an hour will kill it for the night so much prefer to give it 12 hrs + free of lines ready for my arrival. 

That's fair enough mate. 

I've conditioned fish on a number of occasions. They visit when the bait is going in. My fear would be that the fish visit,  clean me out and then only get the occasional visitor. Where as I feel they visit in numbers when the initial baiting up happens. 

On a lake years ago, Rodney Meadow to be exact. I was pre-baiting with just boilies. On the 5th prebaiting session there was a big group of fish in one of the areas I was baiting. My mate said not to bait there as it will spook them. I flicked in one bait, up came a carp and took it on the drop.  I proceeded to feed 5kg of 18mm baits that evening,  they didnt budge but scoffed the lot. Since witnessing that it doesn't bother me baiting heavy on fish, especially if they have been conditioned to finding bait there at that time. 

25 minutes ago, emmcee said:

My fear would be that the fish visit,  clean me out and then only get the occasional visitor. Where as I feel they visit in numbers when the initial baiting up happens. 

I think if you can get them feeding while you bait it's the holy grail. But at the same time there is  something to be said for letting them clear me out. I am only doing day sessions at the mo so I'm trying to maximise that morning bite time. I'll try to get the bait in late (say 7 or 8 pm) for an early start (say 4 or 5 am the next morning). I tend to get takes very quickly (which makes sense as they've polished off most of the bait) and then just top up with the stick after each bite. Seems to work ok.

3 minutes ago, yonny said:

I think if you can get them feeding while you bait it's the holy grail. But at the same time there is  something to be said for letting them clear me out. I am only doing day sessions at the mo so I'm trying to maximise that morning bite time. I'll try to get the bait in late (say 7 or 8 pm) for an early start (say 4 or 5 am the next morning). I tend to get takes very quickly (which makes sense as they've polished off most of the bait) and then just top up with the stick after each bite. Seems to work ok.

Oh right,  day sessions are bit different.

Its knowing when and how to adapt to situations.  I'd certainly adapt if I was doing days. 

Good angling.  👍

6 hours ago, yonny said:

@elmoputney I'd not chop and change throughout the week, it'll take longer to establish the spot.

Rather I'd start with bits (a vitalin or pigeon conditioner base with pellets etc is very cheap and clears it up in no time) before moving onto boilies supplemented with nuts (solely for the carp). Once the spot is being visited you don't need to put that much out. Get it established with loads of cheap stuff then cut down and just use the good stuff.

That makes sense I guess, I popped over today, ended up clearing a tonne of weed out of a swim in the vein hope I can make 3 spots from it, I never realised just how much was in there, I was meant to do a quick bait up and do the shopping,I had to shop later on after the opticians lol, took ages and I still don't think I've got it all, I might have to Don the waders next time, still spodded a load of pigeon Conditioner over the areas in the hope it gets things started, will have to do that again a few times I think before its ready for action, i disturbed something massive though made a couple of big swirls, may have been a cat I think, or an alligator didn't look like a carp, 

6 hours ago, emmcee said:

One thing I would suggest if you can do it is to have one of your pre-baiting nights on a night you actually fish on. This way you can condition the fish to arrive on a given day, preferably on a day you're likely to be there. 

The way I thought was that 2 nights before should leave enough time to clear me out then I could just top up enough for a bite at a time when fishing, and include the hookbait, the spot I did today is pultable so fairly easy to get right, I do think maybe get the spots gleaming a bit first might not be a bad idea though reckon they could be silty for a while, lots more particles required first I think, 

For a while today I thought about keeping a few swims going lol, I think 2 or 3 may be too many, if they all need that much work, the weed rake worked well though and I had a good workout win win 😂