October Catch Reports.

salokcinnodrog

Just now, commonly said:

You seem to be back on the bank quite regularly

I'm just making the most of limited time mate:

Twice a week in the evening when the mrs puts the little'n to bed I'm driving like a madman to the lake, baiting up like a lunatic, and scooting back home before she's finished. I'm fishing Friday mornings. I only work half days on Fridays anyway so I can get the day off for a half day holiday. Getting there at first light, few hours fishing, job done🐋

5 hours ago, yonny said:

I'm just making the most of limited time mate:

Twice a week in the evening when the mrs puts the little'n to bed I'm driving like a madman to the lake, baiting up like a lunatic, and scooting back home before she's finished. I'm fishing Friday mornings. I only work half days on Fridays anyway so I can get the day off for a half day holiday. Getting there at first light, few hours fishing, job done🐋

Effort=Reward 😬😎

10 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not the perfect pic, but another fish from the reservoir, 23lb. 

IMG_20191014_231728.jpg

Well done , Nick .

At least you can make out the colours of the fish ; I guess that's a VS Carp , that's starting to darken ? .

Do you think the originals are in small group(s) away from the VS stock ? .

😀

The first fish 23lb taken on a decent camera, and the 28 from the other side.

Both fish fell to my Garlic and Megaspice pop-ups on helicopter rigs with a 4 bait stringer. The 28 was excreting Vitalin heavily where I had tipped a bucket of sloppy Vitalin 'liquid' in over the spot. The 23 I really didn't get a chance to look.

I think the 23 had me made up, my largest fish from this year, but the 28 really blew me away, I'm still buzzing.

Andy (@crusian), I think the fish colour up to the water over time. I don't know whether the 28lb is a VS fish or not, if it is that is a heck of a growth rate! I think the fish mix as I know the area has produced originals in the past.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely fish all 😎... did manage a couple of twenties on the last night so ended up a great session in the end & another great French trip landing 3 40 + fish . Back late last night & up early for work so feeling it now a bit  lol . Already planning my next trip . 

Thanks for all the comments 😎

Edited by chillfactor

On 15/10/2019 at 14:21, yonny said:

I've fished a number of waters on which I swear fish travel and feed in year groups.

On 15/10/2019 at 15:27, kevtaylor said:

I've noticed exactly the same on the 2 stalking waters I've spent a lot of time on, fish hang around, travel, spawn and feed in year groups.

No doubt whatsoever on that.

So am I being overly simplistic / a leap to far , if I was to be catching say singles and doubles and I wanted 20s' do I change location as the bigger fish were swimming around elsewhere ? .

🤔

1 hour ago, crusian said:

So am I being overly simplistic / a leap to far , if I was to be catching say singles and doubles and I wanted 20s' do I change location as the bigger fish were swimming around elsewhere ? .

🤔

Only time on the lake watching will tell you the answer to that.  You could catch the bigger fish on the same spots and same methods as the smaller fish or you might have to leave the smaller fish and look elsewhere.

If you manage to see the fish enough you start knowing which ones hang around together, what routes do they take, maybe learn where were they caught from previously - you want to end up feeling like you know where they will be in different conditions and then it comes together, you spot one of the big uns in an area and know that his mates will be there too and its game on - pay back time for the work you've put in.

There really is no substitute for observation- the effort of watching and listening.

You could find that different rigs catch the bigger fish, or that a particular one only ever gets caught on zigs for instance - just food for thought, you could just do a pub chuck like me 👍😂

2 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Anyone else noticed that any ornamentals or ghosties tend to be leaders of a decent size shoal? Where they go others follow .

I have noticed when the ghostie in vermuyden is around there are usually a good few other fish present and actually maybe even being followed when I think about it, it disappeared on my spot fairly recently after circling round it with a couple of mates for a while,I thought for a moment I was going to catch it but not that time the ghostie must've spooked

Get it ghostie , spooked 😳

Felt like a right kick in the ghoulies that day 😁

20 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Only time on the lake watching will tell you the answer to that.  You could catch the bigger fish on the same spots and same methods as the smaller fish or you might have to leave the smaller fish and look elsewhere.

If you manage to see the fish enough you start knowing which ones hang around together, what routes do they take, maybe learn where were they caught from previously - you want to end up feeling like you know where they will be in different conditions and then it comes together, you spot one of the big uns in an area and know that his mates will be there too and its game on - pay back time for the work you've put in.

There really is no substitute for observation- the effort of watching and listening.

You could find that different rigs catch the bigger fish, or that a particular one only ever gets caught on zigs for instance - just food for thought, you could just do a pub chuck like me 👍😂

Sorry for the delayed reply , Kev - dodgy internet connection.

Thanks very much for your detailed and very helpful reply .

😃

18 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Anyone else noticed that any ornamentals or ghosties tend to be leaders of a decent size shoal? Where they go others follow .

I know that by learning that the biggest koi swam with the A Team, I managed to catch the biggest in the pond after spotting the Koi hanging around at the end of a weedy bar one morning.

He was their downfall in the end even though he was pretty elusive.

Whether he was a leader or not I'm not sure.

4 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

I know that by learning that the biggest koi swam with the A Team, I managed to catch the biggest in the pond after spotting the Koi hanging around at the end of a weedy bar one morning.

He was their downfall in the end even though he was pretty elusive.

Whether he was a leader or not I'm not sure.

And helpfully Koi tend to be more visible than mirrors and commons .