View from your bivvy door.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fab weekend on the syndi - chose the windward end on a easterly and felt confident but by dawn I'd only heard one fish crash through the night deep working the bay on my left.

I sat it out until 9am but couldn't believe they weren't having it elsewhere so I reeled in and drove to the other end (back of the wind) to see if they had popped up on top after eating down there at first light.

After a quick walk about and speaking to the one guy down there it seemed they weren't there so I hurried back vowing to make the most of the spot I had, they just had to be there at some point.

Walking back in the swim late morning I see one straight away passing my rods along the margin going into the bay, then another going the other way, I'd made the right choice afterall.

I shot up a climbing tree to be greeted by many fish - basking in the sun, some of them proper units - right down the end of the bay sitting in a 5 yard gap between overhanging trees.

Over hours I fed mixers into the scum that had gathered up against the reeds and waiting for my chance to wade into the reeds and cast out  my hookbaits but fake mixers and cut down boiles were either being rejected or just missed completely.  At a loss I went back to the bivvy and got my bag of bagels, a size 4 hook and off for another go.

The fish had all but gone by this point but I tried for one in the scum line but quickly lost sight of the bait and that fish drifted away, I felt gutted all those hours feeding and having little casts here and there have lead to nothing.  I was about to get out the water when I see one more fish drift in and under the scum line so I put on some fresh bagel and make a cast a couple of feet from the scum. A head pops back out then moves at speed for the bait, smashes it so I guess he's got it, strike and hang on for dear life as it tries to power away but I can't let it go anywhere, it tore through the right tree line but thankfully I just pulled like a mad man and got it back somehow, was lucky as I could feel it crating on the branches several times, proper heart in mouth stuff.  Epic battle 26.14 Common in the net, made up.

Screenshot_20240512_205925_Gallery.jpg

The next day was a real slog waiting all day for that one chance, somehow after not getting it right several times I finally managed to hook one of the stragglers like the day before but sadly lost it to a hook pull just when I felt that I was getting on top of what had been an epic and scary battle.

Gutting but loved the trip can't wait to get back - I'm having em FACT - so buzzing for it this year.

Best thing of the trip I saw my target fish, must be 4ft long, jet black linear, old as the hills, he's alive and kicking, and he's got some very large friends, more than I knew about. 👀

Screenshot_20240512_210252_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6bce8d2bc670363b0633cbe455186f8c.jpg

Screenshot_20240512_215311_Gallery.thumb.jpg.be3a7f6700c46257e9536e8b77d617c7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

2nd night a bust still no fish down the other end so a move today after trying floaters on the small lake for an hour.  Can't get the swim I really want on this new easterly, but this is the nearest one, 2 rods very close to the point, 1k of mix over the top, one close on a single pink. 

New swim to me, had to open it up as noones bothered - hours work before setting up, deserve a fish for that, last night so fingers crossed 🤞

Screenshot_20240525_173201_Gallery.thumb.jpg.4160135b542666924b08aae11adda127.jpg

Screenshot_20240525_174619_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d589f1d8874647fa7190a0373bef289e.jpg

Edited by kevtaylor

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Got down Fri night about 8pm, 3 of the swims down the windard end were taken and I didn't fancy fitting in between.

I thought they might push them out anyway and with cold night temps they might make their way up the other end.

Saturday 11am I see the first of around 15 - 20 shows over the course of an hour, some over the rods so wasn't a complete surprise when the left hander pulled up at 1pm.  A low double common 12.4lb, female still full of eggs (fish are so behind due to the influx of cold water), so I was made up, another swim caught from and a spot found back in March.

Sunday morning, they arrived at 10.30 with one crashing out against the island, then 3 subtle rolls at 11am just short of the rods.  11.15 I'm on the phone and notice the left hangers off and line out the clip but no bleeps whatsoever (no idea), pick up the rod and there's a weight on the other end and weeded up short of the spot, I pull it out and gain 10-20 yards and it's off, hook pull - damn!

Interesting it was the left rod both times especially as the fish arrived from right to left.  It was the only yellow bait - with corn in the mix so I'll take that forward next session, all 3 on yellow.

Screenshot_20240608_223608_Gallery.thumb.jpg.043e53fbce55601f79187fca74d09e0d.jpg

Edited by kevtaylor

10 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Got down Fri night about 8pm, 3 of the swims down the windard end were taken and I didn't fancy fitting in between.

I thought they might push them out anyway and with cold night temps they might make their way up the other end.

Saturday 11am I see the first of around 15 - 20 shows over the course of an hour, some over the rods so wasn't a complete surprise when the left hander pulled up at 1pm.  A low double common 12.4lb, female still full of eggs (fish are so behind due to the influx of cold water), so I was made up, another swim caught from and a spot found back in March.

Sunday morning, they arrived at 10.30 with one crashing out against the island, then 3 subtle rolls at 11am just short of the rods.  11.15 I'm on the phone and notice the left hangers off and line out the clip but no bleeps whatsoever (no idea), pick up the rod and there's a weight on the other end and weeded up short of the spot, I pull it out and gain 10-20 yards and it's off, hook pull - damn!

Interesting it was the left rod both times especially as the fish arrived from right to left.  It was the only yellow bait - with corn in the mix so I'll take that forward next session, all 3 on yellow.

Screenshot_20240608_223608_Gallery.thumb.jpg.043e53fbce55601f79187fca74d09e0d.jpg

Good work mate, great descriptive writing. And that is a lovely photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend, same swim, same baiting - all 3 on the yellow, similar conditions.

Took the baitboat in case I wanted to fish upto the island and find fishable ground with the sonar, but all this showed me was that my normal spots are deffo the one so left them there for the duration of the session no recasts just a bait top up for the 2nd night.

Just a couple crashed all weekend - no feeding activity, got it wrong again lol

Need these fish to spawn and be normal - taking forever with this weather.

Maybe next time

Screenshot_20240619_112926_Gallery.thumb.jpg.05fa4248506601eadd1e918ddd5cf6f7.jpg