New purchases

B B

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

I've started struggling to get the spomb to open on every cast since changing to braid, and maybe the spombs are getting on a bit, I have to catch to spomb up high and follow it down otherwise it won't open, mono just stretches and carries on with the same trajectory.  With a bad arm I dont want to be doing double the effort so easy to open spod seems the better option.

Nice one for the suggestion 👍

Spombs are rubbish I foind they wouldnt open about 20% of the time, X spods are far superior in my book, I would rsther use a tfg airbomb than a Spomb. Actually Kev if you wanted to make a good spread of bait similar to throwing stick. Airbomb ftw. 

32 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Spombs are rubbish I foind they wouldnt open about 20% of the time, X spods are far superior in my book, I would rsther use a tfg airbomb than a Spomb. Actually Kev if you wanted to make a good spread of bait similar to throwing stick. Airbomb ftw. 

Thats a good call mate I like the look of that.  If I hadn't of lost the fish of a lifetime because of one of them dangling from a tree I'd have bought one years ago lol

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Thats a good call mate I like the look of that.  If I hadn't of lost the fish of a lifetime because of one of them dangling from a tree I'd have bought one years ago lol

It wasn't me I don't think 😂

There was a nash dot spod stuck up a tree for months and it used to annoy me seeing it there because the owner shouldn't have really been fishing that spot I didn't think,I couldn't buy one of those either. 

The air bomb takes a little getting used too but once you do it's really good, you need to clip up between 2-3 rod lengths shorter than the spot. Good thing about it though it always lands off the spot. And even particles fly out of it quite nicely. 

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

8 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

I've started struggling to get the spomb to open on every cast since changing to braid, and maybe the spombs are getting on a bit, I have to catch to spomb up high and follow it down otherwise it won't open, mono just stretches and carries on with the same trajectory.  With a bad arm I dont want to be doing double the effort so easy to open spod seems the better option.

Nice one for the suggestion 👍

8 hours ago, elmoputney said:

You can get hooky x spods now, and unlike the hooky spombs they actually work nearly as well.i probably wouldn't run one over but they do cast well and open. I got one off ebay for about a tenner. 

I've played with various Spods and Spombs, and the honest answer is the genuine Spomb is the best of the lot in my opinion.

With braid and a low angle cast the Spomb won't open, it skids not hitting the nose trigger. Get a vertical drop, even at 5 rod lengths no problem.

Note, adding a mono leader reduces not opening or crack-offs as the sudden clip hit allows a bit of stretch, not break, and also causes the Spomb to drop straight down.

Retrieve is good if you can get it 'penguin walking' over the surface, although pike love 'em.

The Dot spod, quality is awful, looks homemade and the spring  is not the best it can bend out of shape. Getting it to shut can be a pain.  Retrieve is ok'ish.

As for the Fox, don't go there, didn't always empty, and it came in like a bag of poo.

The Wolf Spod I've not used, bit pricey as I seem to break spods or Spombs after pike attacks and have to keep replacing them.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I've played with various Spods and Spombs, and the honest answer is the genuine Spomb is the best of the lot in my opinion.

With braid and a low angle cast the Spomb won't open, it skids not hitting the nose trigger. Get a vertical drop, even at 5 rod lengths no problem.

Note, adding a mono leader reduces not opening or crack-offs as the sudden clip hit allows a bit of stretch, not break, and also causes the Spomb to drop straight down.

Retrieve is good if you can get it 'penguin walking' over the surface, although pike love 'em.

The Dot spod, quality is awful, looks homemade and the spring  is not the best it can bend out of shape. Getting it to shut can be a pain.  Retrieve is ok'ish.

As for the Fox, don't go there, didn't always empty, and it came in like a bag of poo.

The Wolf Spod I've not used, bit pricey as I seem to break spods or Spombs after pike attacks and have to keep replacing them.

Yeah I've got probably 10 spombs about 4 working and 6 odd in the garage needing new springs.  I find once they get old they start not opening and or opening mid flight.

Hate the fox one, bringing that in between lines is a joke.

Not keen on the look of the nash one as you say looks cheap but supposed to be good.

Keen to try the Wolf ones when they arrive. 👍

10 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Yeah I've got probably 10 spombs about 4 working and 6 odd in the garage needing new springs.  I find once they get old they start not opening and or opening mid flight.

On the spring nose trigger, turn the clip round, that sorts many problems including premature ej, sorry opening

I wish I could replace springs, but I keep forgetting to grab them as I kill the spomb. For me it is the tail spring that pops it open is what breaks, pike teeth don't help...

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

I've only broke one but that was down to hitting a duck lol.

Oh yes, I forgot those 2 Spombs I broke, landing directly on a swan ( both times they came into the area midcast). 

7 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Hate the fox one, bringing that in between lines is a joke.

Not keen on the look of the nash one as you say looks cheap but supposed to be good.

Keen to try the Wolf ones when they arrive. 👍

Hi mate I've got the temu version of the wolf spombs and they are wicked 👍 they open pretty much every cast, I've only broke one but that was down to hitting a duck lol.

Got myself a few bits n bobs to keep me occupied since I've quit smoking.

2 weeks now.

Got a set of sonik herox 12ft 3.25tc rods with matching 10000 reels and the spod rod n reel. New carplife rod bag to keep it all tucked away nicely. Also got some dot spods and a air spod, distance sticks, prologic finger stall, glow in the dark butt grips. Syncro xt 18lb, more bits like tungsten tubing, run ring kits, Nash longshank twisters.

Blake's baits 5kg of hemp, 5kg of tigers, 10kg of maize and 20kg of pigeon conditioner.

20kg of outlaw pro boilies and pellets n match the hatch wafters n pop-ups and some of they're fluro pop-ups. 

Also grabbed some NS minis to give them a whirl. 

Off fishing on for the weekend. Not even checked the weather. Just want to fish since I've been ot of action for a bit

That's almost a new set up mrmud.

I've got 10k cell 10k isopro sweet. Hydrotuff in 20lb (had this on since 2020, with no issues at all, just need to reload the spools), tungsten putty and a replacement fox silk swinger.

Got 6-7 nights on the res this weekend. Full moon next week (I'm hoping that might give me an advantage??)

Happy hunting. 

2 hours ago, commonly said:

That's almost a new set up mrmud.

I've got 10k cell 10k isopro sweet. Hydrotuff in 20lb (had this on since 2020, with no issues at all, just need to reload the spools), tungsten putty and a replacement fox silk swinger.

Got 6-7 nights on the res this weekend. Full moon next week (I'm hoping that might give me an advantage??)

Happy hunting. 

Good luck mate, hope you bag a whacker. 

Thanks Elmo.

I was torn to mention on here, as I'm quite likely to blank my but off😄

Really looking forward to it.

Only got that long as it was my 50th this year.

Work, family life and life have meant things don't always go to plan, but you got to make the most of what you've got.

I can at least post a few views from the bivvy door and rod shots though😎

All for my Birthday Yesterday (37th)

12month 2 rod licence,

Cooking Set (Kettle, Mini Cooking Pot, Frying Pan, Utensils)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355882732527?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=5jp3gnudspi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tGv3gu7qR9e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

5800W Three Burner Stove 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226146876885?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=o7t_ssfbtsu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tGv3gu7qR9e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

Gas 

OMC Tackle Box

Few more bits to fill it....

Not Fishing Related, but also 2 Tickets to Etihad Stadium to watch Man City on 24th, got Half Way Line tickets, Row F (6 rows back)...Me n Lad foing Tueaday night.

7 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

Just brought another 10kg of premier supermarinos basemix… at 10kg every 3-6 months for the last 25yrs I dread to think how much bait and cash I’ve gone through! 

£45(ish) for 5kg x2 £90

call it every 3 months...£90x4=£360 per year

£360×25=£9,000 🤣🤣🤣

Based on every 3 months 

10kg every 3 months...40kg per year

40kg x 25 Yr = 1,000kg 

Edited by Higham1987

27 minutes ago, Higham1987 said:

£45(ish) for 5kg x2 £90

call it every 3 months...£90x4=£360 per year

£360×25=£9,000 🤣🤣🤣

Based on every 3 months 

10kg every 3 months...40kg per year

40kg x 25 Yr = 1,000kg 

When you look at it like that, it doesn’t seem so bad!! 40kg a year? Some guys would do that in a week session! 

I’ve got to up my game! 

17 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

When you look at it like that, it doesn’t seem so bad!! 40kg a year? Some guys would do that in a week session! 

I’ve got to up my game! 

A Mate at work just back from 2 weeks somewhere in France (has his own peg there on a lake)....he took 150kg and still had to buy more for his 2nd week.

4 hours ago, framey said:

Other costs to add

the eggs 

method of boiling the water

god forbid time…

lol

As I've found out, gotta up the gear or there's no point, I've laid out 1500 on a roller, I'm still in the middle of setting up, dough mixer next on the list. My bottle neck at the moment is boiling the baits. My machine can do 100kg a day, but boiling is taking for ever. I'm gonna go down the route of boiling instead of steaming, gonna try a burco with a cage, if that fails I'm gonna get some single ring burners and a some big pots. I will get there eventually 👍🤣 

Once being able to mass produce I've got some people lined up who wants to buy so should be good to go 👍