New purchases

B B

4 hours ago, framey said:

And you had no problem with your last set.

but,

there is obviously a problem as plenty say about it past and present and they obviously think there is a problem or they wouldn’t need to address it.

I think many problems are user error.

Mine are rarely totally straight at 180⁰; I wonder if that allows water to fall off the line and rod without puddling on the alarm?

(Not in anyway a guaranteed theory, just a possibility).

I know at one point there was an issue with components, many of which had a short 'life', mainly used on TXi's.

My ST's were around 20years old and had actually been submerged in their early years  when the lake broke its banks and the river flooded in raising the water level by 4feet. I had to move my bivvy back up the bank, then rescue my gear. The Delkims worked after drying out and replaced the batteries.

On the last purchases I did also add some 2.5oz leads, dumpies and tournaments as I have changed to 2.75lb TC RH Sceptre rods.

I'll probably cut the swivels off before I use them on run rings

20240731_213915.jpg

20 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I think many problems are user error.

Mine are rarely totally straight at 180⁰; I wonder if that allows water to fall off the line and rod without puddling on the alarm?

(Not in anyway a guaranteed theory, just a possibility).

I know at one point there was an issue with components, many of which had a short 'life', mainly used on TXi's.

My ST's were around 20years old and had actually been submerged in their early years  when the lake broke its banks and the river flooded in raising the water level by 4feet. I had to move my bivvy back up the bank, then rescue my gear. The Delkims worked after drying out and replaced the batteries.

On the last purchases I did also add some 2.5oz leads, dumpies and tournaments as I have changed to 2.75lb TC RH Sceptre rods.

I'll probably cut the swivels off before I use them on run rings

20240731_213915.jpg

Quite possibly could be user error 

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

never felt the urge to try delks if I’m honest.

Have

SX DXR ace i3 and ATTS 

had nevs but got rid because of breaking bases lol

bitech vipers well they were just rubbish and flopped over just looking at them 

optonic originals lost them when I left parents house.

Chub neuron T5 were good but gave away them to a mate who needed a set.

2 hours ago, framey said:

Quite possibly could be user error 

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

never felt the urge to try delks if I’m honest.

Have

SX DXR ace i3 and ATTS 

had nevs but got rid because of breaking bases lol

bitech vipers well they were just rubbish and flopped over just looking at them 

optonic originals lost them when I left parents house.

Chub neuron T5 were good but gave away them to a mate who needed a set.

Optonic originals, back in the 1980's, followed by conversions, then Delkim ST's and now TXi'd's.

A few mates got Bitech Vipers, we knew a train was coming 5minutes before it went past on A pit railway bank.

My mate Bruce still has his Delkim Optonic conversions. 

Oh and not forgetting a homemade pike drop off buzzer made with a mercury tilt switch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2024 at 14:32, kevtaylor said:

Ordered a power barrow conversion kit for my Mk2 wide boy, might keel over long before it arrives (10-12 weeks),  pushing through sodden ground getting stuck, unloading/re-loading - going again is about killing me off, although each week seems a little easier.

So this never arrived (Barrow Conversions UK Ltd - conversion kit) along with many other unlucky customers.  Looks like my bank is sorting a refund (fingers crossed) but many will be out of pocket.  No answers to emails, phone line down, dreadful company!

Gonna pre-order from CarpPorter hopefully get one for winter/early spring - should have got a whole new barrow in hindsight and stuck with the big boys - not tried cowboys!  Lesson learnt 🤬

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

So this never arrived (Barrow Conversions UK Ltd - conversion kit) along with many other unlucky customers.  Looks like my bank is sorting a refund (fingers crossed) but many will be out of pocket.  No answers to emails, phone line down, dreadful company!

Sorry to hear that, hope you get your refund.

I try to use PayPal for as many payments as possible as you do normally get buyer protection.

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Gonna pre-order from CarpPorter hopefully get one for winter/early spring - should have got a whole new barrow in hindsight and stuck with the big boys - not tried cowboys!  Lesson learnt 🤬

Seen this on Facebook mate, hope you and everyone else can get it sorted 👍

Well I've been busy buying stuff recently 

I now own 3 free spirit helicals,a new okuma 8k, a new atts bite alarm, 20kg of the usual innovate boilies reaper nut mix , match the hatch pop ups and wafters and some RNM 4 colour pastel pop ups, matching pellets, glug, 3 more esp mini butt grips (I now own all 3 sizes 😳) tubing, run rig bits, esp d rig kickers, 6 cans of go gas, korda kickers, oh and 20kg of flaked maize for a cunning plan 🌽

I have sold the xtractors, the crosscast rods and a rod bag, so you can't say I haven't tried to balance it out 😂

On 16/08/2024 at 16:33, kevtaylor said:

Wasn't it something to do with one of the guys from carpology? I tried to find the video but seems to have been taken down, I had looked because they did a conversion for my barrow and I thought it may be handy for when I get older. Sorry to hear about your hassle though, seems a lot of people got stung. 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

6 cans of go gas,

Be interested in the price of Go gas compared to Coleman.

I usually get 6cans of Coleman (and text or message) the link to @snowmanstevo around £25-27 inc p@p although Wow Outdoor do them £22 plus carriage so the same in total.

I think Go gas are better canisters.

15 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Be interested in the price of Go gas compared to Coleman.

I usually get 6cans of Coleman (and text or message) the link to @snowmanstevo around £25-27 inc p@p although Wow Outdoor do them £22 plus carriage so the same in total.

I think Go gas are better canisters.

6 go gas £30 from St Ives tackle 

14 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Wasn't it something to do with one of the guys from carpology? I tried to find the video but seems to have been taken down, I had looked because they did a conversion for my barrow and I thought it may be handy for when I get older. Sorry to hear about your hassle though, seems a lot of people got stung. 

My first email was to carpology saying I feel they are partly to blame and that they should at least take the videos down.  I got no reply but from what you're saying they may have done it.

Shoddy geezer, he'll be a wanted man.  Took my mate a couple of hours on Facebook to locate his village, mobile number his cars and the clubs and venues he visits and when.

Was surprised how easy the info line was followed.

Removing your facebook account meant nothing!

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

My first email was to carpology saying I feel they are partly to blame and that they should at least take the videos down.  I got no reply but from what you're saying they may have done it.

Shoddy geezer, he'll be a wanted man.  Took my mate a couple of hours on Facebook to locate his village, mobile number his cars and the clubs and venues he visits and when.

Was surprised how easy the info line was followed.

Removing your facebook account meant nothing!

The number of people who think the Internet is faceless and anonymous!

https://www.carpology.net/ology-tv/reviews/tbuyaJlqpGw/

To be fair, it looks like they have taken it down. Hope you get your monkey refunded soon Kev. I remember watching the video and did I imagine that the Carpololgy guy who did the video has some sort of vested interest? Got to admit that I was tempted (my local lake has a "cardiac hill!") but after losing my dog last year, decided that I really did need a bit more exercise to shift some weight that I'd put on and the cost was a bit eye watering.

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Thermocell back packer and pads. 

Last hope because nothing else seems to stop the them, I've been savaged the last 3 times I've been out, I've got 2 zappers, mozzie front, various sprays , wipes, citronella candles but they've been savage this year. Time for the big guns. 

Seems they like some people more than others, a friend came into my swim one evening and the mozzies were swarming him.  He wrapped up and they were still going for his fingers that were not covered, whilst I stood next to him with none attacking me.

I take it I've got bad blood, he's got good.

11 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Seems they like some people more than others, a friend came into my swim one evening and the mozzies were swarming him.  He wrapped up and they were still going for his fingers that were not covered, whilst I stood next to him with none attacking me.

Yeah seems to be, they certainly love me, I can get bitten a lot in a session, I've usually been bitten before I've even got the rods out. First one is always the ankles. 

I can normally get away with a citronella and lemongrass based skin spray since Avon Skin So Soft has changed, although mosquitoes the size of vultures did used to get me at Taverham in the back channel swims; Jurassic park round there, and I needed to resort to Deet and Jungle Formula.

Permethrin impregnated clothing could be handy, and @elmoputney now your not wearing Crocs, tuck your socks over your trousers.

The stuff below works, and don't laugh, it's from a company called purple-turtle.

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

27 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Yeah seems to be, they certainly love me, I can get bitten a lot in a session, I've usually been bitten before I've even got the rods out. First one is always the ankles. 

It's that mosquito buzz beside your ear just as you are ¾ of the way to sleep.

Other biting bugs are deer flies, they hurt, and of course the horsefly.

Screenshot_20240819_143111_Chrome.jpg

On 19/08/2024 at 07:31, elmoputney said:

Okuma 8k spare spool off alibaba express £18.50, I'm now only 1 away from a full set of spares, just gonna wait to see if the one that arrives is correct first 😂

I noticed they got the 8k spools back on the shelf’s gone up in price tho …but that’s a good deal you had 👍

On 16/08/2024 at 16:33, kevtaylor said:

Gutted for you 

On 19/08/2024 at 14:36, salokcinnodrog said:

I can normally get away with a citronella and lemongrass based skin spray since Avon Skin So Soft has changed, although mosquitoes the size of vultures did used to get me at Taverham in the back channel swims; Jurassic park round there, and I needed to resort to Deet and Jungle Formula.

Permethrin impregnated clothing could be handy, and @elmoputney now your not wearing Crocs, tuck your socks over your trousers.

The stuff below works, and don't laugh, it's from a company called purple-turtle.

It's that mosquito buzz beside your ear just as you are ¾ of the way to sleep.

Other biting bugs are deer flies, they hurt, and of course the horsefly.

Screenshot_20240819_143111_Chrome.jpg

Spent the Bank holiday weekend at the lake , not a single bite or buzz and did not use Jungle formula or any other mozzie repellant, bliss 

Got back to the car and in the time it took to load the car i ended up with SEVEN mozzie bites , figure that out. 

10 hours ago, dayvid said:

Spent the Bank holiday weekend at the lake , not a single bite or buzz and did not use Jungle formula or any other mozzie repellant, bliss 

Got back to the car and in the time it took to load the car i ended up with SEVEN mozzie bites , figure that out. 

Open banks with no trees or rushes are often mozzie free, they don't seem to be a problem, any breeze blows them away or past. Add trees or rushes, and they have somewhere to hide.

The other thing is that disturbing the ground and you end up with mosquito or other insect bites.

You (usually) put your groundsheet on the ground stopping the little blighters getting to you, so as you packed up it's quite possibly you became fair game.