Carp Mags

bluelabel

I see with some sadness the Carpworld is closing its offices and shutting up shop, and Big Carp is going digital only... Shame as both were good reads... is this indicative of a general shift in magazine based publishing to a digital format ? or a shift in angling habits with the growth of match and predator fishing drawing anglers away from carp.... what are your views...? 

6 hours ago, bluelabel said:

I see with some sadness the Carpworld is closing its offices and shutting up shop, and Big Carp is going digital only... Shame as both were good reads... is this indicative of a general shift in magazine based publishing to a digital format ? or a shift in angling habits with the growth of match and predator fishing drawing anglers away from carp.... what are your views...? 

I use to buy the occasional carpworld mag and especially enjoyed the overseas articles

I think carp angling is still on the up only got to see Linear fishery as proof gets so packed There’s so much online content why buy a mag. 

Still sad to see the mag go under tho. 

I have a fairly regular subscription to Carpology. They keep enticed me with crazy offers. Last time I had 10kg of Live System, pop-up's and wafters as well as a 500ml bottle of Amino 365, a book and a 6 month subscription for a lot less than I would have paid otherwise.

https://www.carpology.net/shop/subscriptions/carpology-sticky-krill-returns-deal/

I found this on their Site, 10kg of Sticky's Krill which would set you back about £100 alone with the book and 1 litre of Krill liquid,  pop-ups and a 6 month subby for £69.99 and normally about a fiver for postage.

The way I look at it, I'm getting the magazine for free (and some more). I do enjoy the mag and look forward to reading it every month so as far as I'm concerned, it's win-win.

The thing is there is no need to read the mags anymore when you have lots of DVDs,  a lot of them being free. I've not bought a mag for years now. Not because of the DVDs that are available but because nothing new was ever written. Nothing new really comes out and when it does you here it through the carpvine before it hits the mags anyway. I dread to think how many feature finding articles I've seen in mags over the years. Some of the rigs that are very fashionable now were about many many years ago, long before they were publicized in the mags. My personal thinking is that it's not the new stuff you need to succeed but the stuff that has been forgotten about. It worked before and will work again. 

I had 100's of mags that I'd kept over the years but binned most of them. All I have now is about 100 carpworld's, though they will be binned at some point no doubt. Though reading through them, most being from the 90's you do stumble across some good stuff. A shame they are gone as carpworld was carp fishing for me when I started out. 

Magazines have had their day , the internet just put the final nail in . As for match and predator fishing drawing carp anglers away  I'm not to sure about this long term ,match fishing died years ago and predator fishing for some of the carp anglers is just grasping at straws as they are getting bored with fishing in general .

For fishing to keep going we need to get more youngsters involved .

It's dragging the little blighters away from Bookface or Chapsnat thats the hard bit... most kids have their faces buried in a screen these days... whereas a lot of kids (when I were a nipper) were chucked outta the house to give our parents a bit o P&Q... so we went fishing... not for carp, god no.... carp were seen as the pinnacle of ones fishing achievements... nowadays kids get better gear than I had first time out and learn their craft (if one can call it such) at the Altar of The Korda Underwater series or The church of Youtube without understanding the reasoning behind the teachings....

Edited by bluelabel

From a magazine perspective I downloaded an app called Readly.... tenner a month for all the mags you can read.... sadly ony a few titles are available... Angling times and mail plus improve you coarse fishing,  that works out over a tenner a months worth in just the weeklies alone take into accout the bike mags pgotography mags and computeractive weekl and its worth the money.... shame theres not more fishing mags to go for

as a kid growing up near the trent and a canal directly at the back of my house there were matches every sunday the canal always had people fishing everyday of the week, now the club that ran that stretch of canal is no more and the canal is never fished apart from (bracing myself for an ear bashing from the snowflakes) eastern Europeans fishing for supper.

most of my mates fished when we were kids because xbox and playstation didn't exist, the only way most kids would consider fishing now is if Nintendo brought out marios all star fishing 

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

It's dragging the little blighters away from Bookface or Chapsnat thats the hard bit... most kids have their faces buried in a screen these days... whereas a lot of kids (when I were a nipper) were chucked outta the house to give our parents a bit o P&Q... so we went fishing... not for carp, god no.... carp were seen as the pinnacle of ones fishing achievements... nowadays kids get better gear than I had first time out and learn their craft (if one can call it such) at the Altar of The Korda Underwater series or The church of Youtube without understanding the reasoning behind the teachings....

I think there has never been a better time to learn how to fish than now tbh, if I had been a kid now I would be a much better angler than I was when I was a kid, all I had for knowledge were John Wilson books other books from the library, mags and TV programmes, we learnt how to fish by ourselves because there wasn't an alternative, I just used to pester anyone I could for info, but now I can Google search or watch some videos that will teach me how to tie knots or set up a rig that isn't a death trap within minutes, yes my childhood angling was magical and I can and do look back with rose tinted specs, but I have a thirst to learn all I can and God bless you tube for that, it's free I don't have to get up in the loft to dig out the crate of festering carp world's or go to the local newsagent hoping they have still got a copy, I can just use a computer or phone 

But I will try to make my kids fishing as magical as mine was if they continue to want to go but that's mainly because I want to be a good parent, but I would happily let them learn from watching you tube as they will soak it up like a sponge and learn things u wouldn't have known about as a kid