How to make to most of autumn

Lumeymorris

Guys do any of your have any tips on getting the most out of autumn as I joined a syndicate earlier in the year and was struggling for ages and have finally started to catch some but winter's nearly here so want to make the most of now before they slow down.

also I've been reading bits online and all I keep seeing is that the naturals are started to die out and now's the time they get on the boilies but how true is this and how do you know when it is as my lake still has lots of weed in it still up to the surface in some areas so I can only imagine they are still on the naturalist as the lake was has been fishing pretty slow the last few weeks. Now I know that the so called autumn harvest be delayed due to what kind of summer we have and so on so its not a case of it being a set date so what signs do u look for that tell you that autumn is here as I gather every lake is different. 

1 hour ago, Lumeymorris said:

I gather every lake is different. 

Spot on.

When (or IF) the weed dies down they'll have a period when they go mental on that naturals that are revealed (bloodworm etc). Sometimes only naturals can compete with this - maggots, worms etc.

Once they've passed this period boilies can indeed be the one, but not always.

1 hour ago, Lumeymorris said:

I joined a syndicate earlier in the year and was struggling for ages and have finally started to catch some

In that case do exactly what caught your fish but increase the baiting levels significantly.

9 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Another thing when do I stop using liquids as I'm a fan of coating the freebies to draw the fish in but read some where that they can be bad this time of year 

Once winter hits you need to cut out any oils. Other liquids are absolutely fine mate.

The honest answer as you have already said is every lake is different. I'm also not sure that naturals do decrease in winter, carp feed size swan mussels just dig deeper into the silt, and carp don't expend so much energy digging them out. Bloodworm I think increase in numbers, but I may be wrong.

If you are starting to catch, you are getting it right, so keep on. If that is an increase in bait while it is still warm, go for it. If it means dropping down to single hookbaits try that on at least one rod against what is working.

Autumn and Winter are actually the times I do catch more I think from memory.

I don't add any liquids to boilies as such, they go in as they are. When I have prepared my particles I drop in some (shelf life) KMG boilies that go in when I arrive onto my spots. My hookbaits, stringer or mesh boilies go in straight out of the bait bag, although I often mesh my hookbaits in tights or vegetable wrap, (what onions and other vegetables are sold in from supermarkets).

Signs I look for; that is always a difficult question, but showing fish; rolling, splashes and big bubble or silty cloudy patches of water are a start. Even flat water in ripples can be a fish.

I have also seen 'shapes' under the water when looking down at the water from above. 

Thanks again so it's just the oils I need to worry about I thought as much but wasn't 100%

But seen as how you brought up signs of fish when should you move on showing fish? I only ask this because I recently spent a few days in a row on the bank and caught on the first night so thought I got it right and was on the money so I upped to bait but the next day was really quiet no signs of fish and none on the bank even from the other anglers but after catching a upper 30 on the first night right on bite time I told myself to stay put they will come back then after putting in a little more bait each day just in case I was getting cleaned out I see fish topping in the swim opposite me that's when I went into panic mode after already catching and it raining I couldn't bring myself to move just prayed they would come over to me later in the evening. Which they didn't they continued to show in the same areas in the opposite swim and they did so for the next two days! Now if I hadn't of caught I would of moved but carried on camping and luckily caught two more on the same spot I caught from on the first night but I can't help but wonder if I moved could of had more but then saying that my friend came for the last 24 hours and also caught again not where the showing fish were so couldn't of just been luck could it?

All this info your gathering will all fall into place over time , just make mental notes on what's  going on . Personally I would of moved as you could of always moved back.  Over the years I reckon the moves that of paid of the most are the worst weather conditions to do so 😅 & we all sit there thinking do I really want to up sticks in this 😁 

4 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Thanks again so it's just the oils I need to worry about I thought as much but wasn't 100%

But seen as how you brought up signs of fish when should you move on showing fish? I only ask this because I recently spent a few days in a row on the bank and caught on the first night so thought I got it right and was on the money so I upped to bait but the next day was really quiet no signs of fish and none on the bank even from the other anglers but after catching a upper 30 on the first night right on bite time I told myself to stay put they will come back then after putting in a little more bait each day just in case I was getting cleaned out I see fish topping in the swim opposite me that's when I went into panic mode after already catching and it raining I couldn't bring myself to move just prayed they would come over to me later in the evening. Which they didn't they continued to show in the same areas in the opposite swim and they did so for the next two days! Now if I hadn't of caught I would of moved but carried on camping and luckily caught two more on the same spot I caught from on the first night but I can't help but wonder if I moved could of had more but then saying that my friend came for the last 24 hours and also caught again not where the showing fish were so couldn't of just been luck could it?

It is a difficult one to gauge about moving.

At the moment on my water my fish are coming on the second night over the bait I put in on the first night, although that may be skewed as the weather has changed and really gotten windy and wet and blowing into my spot. If I move I could be starting from scratch. If however I caught on the first night, and then saw fish the other side and nothing in my area, I would likely be upping sticks.

I wouldn't be upping the bait amount when I'm fishing, I think baiting on top of them, especially boilies, can put them off, but you really need to know the water.

If I see fish, I tend to fish up to them with stringers or single baits.

13 hours ago, Lumeymorris said:

Never be afraid to move. Numerous times I've moved after catching fish. Most times its paid off but there will always be that time when you should have stayed. 

I recall one time on my old syndicate and I'd had 3 fish one morning.  The wind turned and as soon as it did I was packing away. Another member questioned why move after 3 fish and I just said i know the fish will move. He wanted to know where I was going as his gear was on his Barrow, naturally I said nothing. He said, well I'll jump in here then when you move,  I just laughed and moved. I got to the swim I wanted, cast my 3 rods. Half hour later I saw the first fish show about 70/80 yds away to my right. I had 3 fish in the following 2hrs. The other bloke set up in my swim and blanked. 

You can't catch if the fish arent in front of you, it's that simple. 

when should you move on showing fish?

Simple. Always. You need to be on fish to catch them.

- If you can see them, you know you're on them.

- If you can't see them, you might be on them - but normally are not.

Forget about the "what ifs". We can only fish for what we can see.

Now if I hadn't of caught I would of moved but carried on camping and luckily caught two more

The most effective anglers do not rely on luck buddy. You need to make it happen.👍

Since I took up mainly carp angling 10 years ago and I know it’s been said to death but the most important thing I’ve learnt is location,location,location. If your doing short day sessions or even 24hrs if they ain’t there you ain’t catching ! 

The amount of time on a day session I’ve caught within 20mins of a move onto fish is unreal,if they ain’t there go find em ! You’ll catch more ! 

I'm struggling on my secret lake at the moment because of location.

There are only 2 areas I can fish and the carp just haven't been there.

Might just jack it in for the winter and just keep baiting the areas and hope this gets the fish there ready for the spring.

Means I'm gonna have to start paying for fishing again though.😢😂

On 16 October 2019 at 19:09, muftyboy said:

Might just jack it in for the winter and just keep baiting the areas and hope this gets the fish there ready for the spring.

On 16 October 2019 at 19:21, commonly said:

I just did a bit of prebaiting ready for Friday night camping!! No signs of any fish, although I was only there about an hour. 

I've got a bucket of chicken corn and hemp soaking ready for boiling tomorrow, once thats done I'll sling a kilo of KMG boilies in it, and since I've swapped shifts on Saturday from late to early, I can go prebait and walk the dog round the reservoir for fishing Sunday until Tuesday. As I said it has been taking the carp two days to settle onto bait. The 28 was excreting chicken corn and hemp shells all over me last week, so maybe prebaiting a day early will give me first night results...

Thats a hope, I'll probably blank now.

Not been the nicest weather for camping or catching my last three trips, wet and windy. I've had rain blowing under the brolly, so this week the overwrap came out of storage. Needed it as well, Monday night was weird. 10pm it was blowing heavily with absolute monsoon rain from south east, and I caught. By 11 it was calm and clear, could see the moon, then at 2am, windy as heck again with showers and I caught again.

In fact, I haven't caught unless it has been persisting it down with a decent blow on the reservoir. I've found a decent wind with rain some of the best autumn to winter conditions for years. 

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Typo

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Is it still the time of year to go for it baitwise ? 

Particles yes or no ? I have 5kg I want to use up and quite a lot of bait in my freezer,I have Sunday night ,booked on vermuyden, weather looks quite mild I feel like spodding for a big hit match carp style good idea or suicide ? 

Don’t let the date on a calendar change the way to fish. To my mind these last 3/4wks have been near to perfect fishing conditions and in turn the fish WILL feed to the conditions,not what time of the year it is. I’ve been putting a lot of time on my local,as you can see by the catch reports doing around 4 day sessions a wk. At the end of every session at least 4k of boilie/pellet/particle was getting spodded onto the spots,given the weather was spot on for a big feed. If we’d had clear,cold,high pressure days/nights I’d of put far less in but still keep it going in. Good luck on your session Elmo. 😬😎🎣

1 hour ago, snowmanstevo said:

Don’t let the date on a calendar change the way to fish. To my mind these last 3/4wks have been near to perfect fishing conditions and in turn the fish WILL feed to the conditions,not what time of the year it is. I’ve been putting a lot of time on my local,as you can see by the catch reports doing around 4 day sessions a wk. At the end of every session at least 4k of boilie/pellet/particle was getting spodded onto the spots,given the weather was spot on for a big feed. If we’d had clear,cold,high pressure days/nights I’d of put far less in but still keep it going in. Good luck on your session Elmo. 😬😎🎣

I was hoping you would say that,😁 I still think conditions are good for it, hopefully I will have the place to myself no one is booked on at present so things are looking good for it 

On 16/10/2019 at 19:09, muftyboy said:

I guess you are not allowed to cut new swims even though you are in the owners' good books for bailiffing their Lake , Mufty ? .

5 hours ago, crusian said:

I guess you are not allowed to cut new swims even though you are in the owners' good books for bailiffing their Lake , Mufty ? .

They seem to have gone back on the deal mate.

And even if they let us we have already cut out the places that we are able to.

Would need a digger and a lot of hard work to make swims anywhere else where it is so overgrown.

It's hard enough in the summer so reckon it's just a waste of time in the winter.

Just gonna keep priming spots for next year.

16 minutes ago, muftyboy said:

They seem to have gone back on the deal mate.

And even if they let us we have already cut out the places that we are able to.

Would need a digger and a lot of hard work to make swims anywhere else where it is so overgrown.

It's hard enough in the summer so reckon it's just a waste of time in the winter.

Just gonna keep priming spots for next year.

Try and keep that bait going in mate,they could just be elsewhere on a natural bloom where you can’t fish. If they do come back you’ve got a chance mate 😬😎🎣