Losing the buzz

Tree123

On 31/05/2019 at 13:40, bluelabel said:

a couple of years back I lost the urge.... I'd pretty much stopped match and Pike fishing and I really was having a hard time finding the motivation to fish for anything.... 

Probably a fallout from losing my Mum and having to sort her affairs and a bit of ill health were the main causes....

I found an interest in vintage tackle and for some reason it struck a chord with me... fishing as I did when I was a nipper. Now I dabble with one rod or pole and fish when I want how I want... I still have my carbon and baitrunners but I derive more pleasure using old gear these days.... perhaps approaching your fishing from a different angle may rekindle your enthusiasm....???

Yeah I'm planning some new changelles now.  Including  some bass and  wrasse  andgoing back to pike fishing in winter and thinking about it is putting a smile on my face 

• 3 weeks later...

Like everything in life, we need new challenges to keep focused.

I love carp fishing, but is normal to get hours in the bank without that massive run that make us crazy.

Sometimes I left my "heavy" equipment at some, and go to the lake with my fly rod. Is amazing fishing carp and some barbel with a so lightweight material.

I had the same feelings about 5 years ago resulted in me selling up and it was the worst thing ive ever done about 6 months after selling alls I could think about was getting back out on the bank so I had to go out and buy all my stuff again cost me a hell of a lot more than I sold my stuff for 

if you have those feelings have a few months away and im sure your love of fishing will return 

So I took a few weeks and I havnt missed carp fishing at all, but I was really missing catching perch  so I went out for a few hours this morning and had one of about 1lb -1lb and 4oz I dont really pay that much attention  to weight  but I'm got the buzz back  well for perch anyway. 

IMG-20190628-WA0000.jpeg

9 hours ago, Tree123 said:

So I took a few weeks and I havnt missed carp fishing at all, but I was really missing catching perch  so I went out for a few hours this morning and had one of about 1lb -1lb and 4oz I dont really pay that much attention  to weight  but I'm got the buzz back  well for perch anyway. 

IMG-20190628-WA0000.jpeg

Well in mate. I don’t think I’ve ever lost the buzz of fishing but there’s no way I could just carp fish exclusively,I know some do but it’s just not me. Had this fella this morning and I’ll probably be river and silver fishing for the next few months before my carp head gets back on. Well done and glad your enjoying your fishing,mate. 😬😎🎣

BC259C4A-9925-4B5D-9BDE-103502AA676C.jpeg

2 hours ago, snowmanstevo said:

Well in mate. I don’t think I’ve ever lost the buzz of fishing but there’s no way I could just carp fish exclusively,I know some do but it’s just not me. Had this fella this morning and I’ll probably be river and silver fishing for the next few months before my carp head gets back on. Well done and glad your enjoying your fishing,mate. 😬😎🎣

BC259C4A-9925-4B5D-9BDE-103502AA676C.jpeg

Keeping it varied  makes a lot of sense,  I definitely over saturated  myself with carp fishing, the break did me good for sure and I've started rock  climbing  now aswell so  between  the two I and go what I love which is be outdoors and kept it varied 

8 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

Was you not hot in all that clobber today? It was a scorcher and you look like that photo was taken in colder climates in winter lol

The fish came just after 4:00 and with with us sitting under the stars it went quite nippy, it was cloudy round Shrewsbury Friday morning and was shaded where we fished........ I was in shorts and t shirt packing up at 10 😅😬

• 1 month later...

Well....(what i thought was a good day yesterday) ive got up this morning to see that my fellow Carping buddy has sold all his Carp Gear and been out today and bought a full match setup. (In space of 24hrs)...GUTTED is an understatement.

He Sold his Rods..Reels..Bivvy..Bedchair..Chair..Net..Sling..Scales..Terminal bags..Cookware..Sleepsystem..etc etc etc

Bought..Daiwa ZR1 Plus 13mtr Pole and full kit..Preston Spacestaion XS (loaded with terminal)..Feeder rod..reels..Keepnets..Landing nets..Brollys..Carryall..Holdall..etc etc

BASICALLY FULL CARP SETUP GONE.....FULL MATCH SETUP REPLACED.

Tried to convince him not to do it but his mind is made up...

That's pretty impulsive, I bet he will regret it a bit, but if he enjoys match fishing then I guess that's up to him, I quite enjoyed catching the odd rudd on the whip but I wouldn't want to not fish for proper sized carp(bream😥) to do it, but I don't think carp fishing is for everyone really some people do just want and are happy getting a bend in the rod,

I once had a mate I fished with but he got into other stuff and I found I got proper into carp fishing, joined a club lake by myself learnt all I could and  I've never looked back, now I am not sure if I like company when I am fishing (I've convinced myself that anyway) cos I am so used to fishing by myself I love the peace and quiet these days, just focus on your own goals Highy and you will achieve them 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

That's pretty impulsive, I bet he will regret it a bit, but if he enjoys match fishing then I guess that's up to him, I quite enjoyed catching the odd rudd on the whip but I wouldn't want to not fish for proper sized carp(bream😥) to do it, but I don't think carp fishing is for everyone really some people do just want and are happy getting a bend in the rod,

I once had a mate I fished with but he got into other stuff and I found I got proper into carp fishing, joined a club lake by myself learnt all I could and  I've never looked back, now I am not sure if I like company when I am fishing (I've convinced myself that anyway) cos I am so used to fishing by myself I love the peace and quiet these days, just focus on your own goals Highy and you will achieve them 

Well said mate a similar thing happened to me. 

For many years me and my best mate always fished together, started of sea fishing and then we moved onto pike, we travelled all over the Northwest plus upto the lake district and Scotland and then we did the full circle and went back to sea fishing mostly around the Northwest and north Wales with odd trips to the east coast. 

Anyway it was getting a bit much for me with two small kids and work so I moved back to doing some coarse fishing on my own and that led onto the carp fishing for me. My mate carried on with his sea fishing and is still at it today. 

We are still good mates but we just don't fish together.

I'm the same like getting out on the bank on my own, gives me time to unwind and relax and I think when I'm out on your own fishing I personally put more effort and thought into my fishing. 👍 👍 

Having given up for a good few years I have to say Ive not been this excited about a fishing trip for ages, I spodded out a load of bait ready for tomorrow all on a lovely gravel strip every spod hit the clip and I just cant wait to get there now, I feel a little confident tbh maybe one of those elusive carp will slip up, if not i will learn something and get a step closer I'm just glad I've found the buzz again 

I feel like that kid that's peering over the edge of the pond through the reeds, looking for the mysterious big one that you only see as the sun goes down 

Happy days 

• 3 weeks later...
  1. Id suggest maybe trying something different for a bit mate, I had a wobble about 18 months ago, so I started fishing the rivers for chub and barbel and really enjoyed a new challenge, through winter I then started targeting perch using u/L spinning methods catching fish to just over 2lb, I then moved over to the canal during the close season just fishing for bits, then hooked into a canal carp, successfully landing it.  864010990_Screenshot2019-08-31at18_11_16.thumb.png.ecbb4a14521f0f34fbd9ef2af7a1ebd4.png

The carp fishing buzz is now back for me and as strong as ever, im now preparing for a autumn/winter campaign on the canal, which again is a totally new challenge. It all came full circle in the end.

Try something new mate, hopefully you will enjoy a new style of fishing and hopefully make it full circle and crack on with your carp fishing again.

I found over the last few seasons that I lose the buzz on and off, usually it was seasonal - as I learnt the water I was on, it became obvious that they had shut down for winter. I was wasting my time. I had another water that I lost enthusiasm for during the summer months as it was so busy. I only had two of the "A team" to catch - a 35lb+ common and a 21lb+ linear. But the lake, which was only about two acres, was always packed out which I didn't enjoy. I brought a cheap club ticket with a new pond on it and that got me going again. I had a new challenge and it fired me up to get the rods out until the winter when the two acre lake was empty of anglers. I returned for a two night session on the two acre lake, had it to myself and caught the common at 37lb 10oz and the linear at 24lb as a brace in a 4hr spell, both on maggot rigs. (I haven't been back) 

It's easy to get stuck in a rut and if the venue isn't calling you back each time, then maybe it's time to bid farewell and look for a new water to fire you up again? 

mind you recently, I've not been getting on the bank as much as I could, although I want to be there when I cant, when the opportunity comes up, I can't be bothered! Unfortunately, this is down to working long hours and not having the energy to get going! 

I found over the last few seasons that I lose the buzz on and off, usually it was seasonal - as I learnt the water I was on, it became obvious that they had shut down for winter. I was wasting my time. I had another water that I lost enthusiasm for during the summer months as it was so busy. I only had two of the "A team" to catch - a 35lb+ common and a 21lb+ linear. But the lake, which was only about two acres, was always packed out which I didn't enjoy. I brought a cheap club ticket with a new pond on it and that got me going again. I had a new challenge and it fired me up to get the rods out until the winter when the two acre lake was empty of anglers. I returned for a two night session on the two acre lake, had it to myself and caught the common at 37lb 10oz and the linear at 24lb as a brace in a 4hr spell, both on maggot rigs. (I haven't been back) 

It's easy to get stuck in a rut and if the venue isn't calling you back each time, then maybe it's time to bid farewell and look for a new water to fire you up again? 

mind you recently, I've not been getting on the bank as much as I could, although I want to be there when I cant, when the opportunity comes up, I can't be bothered! Unfortunately, this is down to working long hours and not having the energy to get going! 

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

FullSizeRender-20.jpg