Your favourite capture

Dave Hedgehog

30 minutes ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Good stuff that mate, my little lads three can’t wait until he’s a bit bigger to get him out on the bank with me...

Nothing better mate, been taking my boy since before he could walk . 

Slowly progressed him to bigger fish 

FB_IMG_1545249142620.thumb.jpg.b30c0e9e1309d10647611c2f91fc44e1.jpgFB_IMG_1545249231742.thumb.jpg.40dd5f3ea084b8eac726017ea77228c7.jpgFB_IMG_1545249242903.thumb.jpg.56b2a0f30fc363b601ffe7c7291fcb95.jpg

the last two fish were caught on our first over nighter together,  I had also took his older cousin with us . He had gone to bed a bit down as his cousin had caught a couple during the day & he hadn't had a bite lol ..   his rod screams off at 1 am & there's no waking him no matter how hard we tried so his cousin landed that one too , anyway he stuck with it the next day & got his rewards . Very proud Dad x

This 22lb linear, only a stocky, from my 3 years on current syndicate, known to be one of the hardest lakes in the country.. 

Was I buzzing when I caught that???

Hell yeah!! 

I know the picture is a bit naff, but like a lot of my captures, I don't need a puffed up pic of me holding it, laid on the matt is fine by me for the memory of the battle

DSC_0041.JPG

42 minutes ago, commonly said:

I know the picture is a bit naff, but like a lot of my captures, I don't need a puffed up pic of me holding it, laid on the matt is fine by me for the memory of the battle

yea I mostly take pictures on the mat to log capture size, swim, time and other information

Unless I'm with a mate, or there's someone in the next swim, I don't often bother weighing or taking pics. 

This was my eldest sons first overnighter, as above, as a dad, it has to be up there as one of my most memorable & enjoyable trips. 

It was 2 summers ago, & he's still going on about the cat! I don't like them myself so tend to avoid venues with them in. 

20170819_090934.jpg

20170805_072044.jpg

17 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

The story’s have gone quiet, hoping to kick start it again. Found a couple more favourites. My pb commmon and then a very unusual day time capture for me. I’ve never managed the moody blank expression in catch pictures. Normally too shocked and euphoric!!

27FF2FE7-B601-4914-B33C-475631971AC0.jpeg

4D0B49B9-B4BC-419A-8E88-8F027DE86EE5.jpeg

That fully scaled is stunner 😎

7 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

my favourite capture wasn't a carp it was my first double figure barbell from a small river call the soar

12lb 2oz and fought like satan him self, couldn't stop smiling for about a week.

Same got some very memorable barbel captures , a brace of doubles back in the 90's stand out from the Severn  & my first doubles from the wye . Was quite the barbel hunter back then driving about trying all the different rivers,  good times 😎  

This is another favourite of mine that changed my overnighter from nightmare to dreamland.

I pulled up at my syndicate lake on the Saturday afternoon a bit early around 3pm but was gutted to find the fullest car park ever!  No real surprise as it was May bank holiday if I remember right.

Rather than look for one of the two remaining swims I decided to drive on to Bluebell for a look round before giving up for home.

30 mins later I'm in the shop asking for the numbers on Kingy and Swan, to my amazement I hear Kingy is fairly quiet by usual standards.

I take the gamble - pay up and go for a walk bucket in hand.  Approaching the first corner I can't see anyone on the far bank - central.  I speed up not daring to believe the situation, glance up again and I'm right - my 2 favourite swims are free - result! 😊

The right of the 2 swims looks bang on for the conditions - right on the back of the wind - on the line where the chop starts.

Down goes the bucket and I'm off for the barrow - semi running, yet trying to look carpy as you do.

I had a lead about and found what I was looking for - clean and smooth as glass - just off the end of one of the bars.  So little resistence that I stumbled backwards - that's the one!

I put half a bucket of 3ml pellets and boilie crumb out and a few whole baits - tight with the spomb.

2 rods on that and a 3rd 2 rods lengths off the spot.

I settle down cook dinner and chill - feeling strangely confident.

At around 11pm I have the first take - a massive drop back, I'm on it fast and after a lot of fast reeling connect with a chunk that plays hardball.

After a good battle out in the waders I net what is a monumental fish for me personally, a very rarely caught kingy 40+ common from the venue that had seemed impossible and awe inspiring when I had first visited some years before.  At that time I felt so far away from the guys on there - so a real milestone.

I had 2 more drop backs after that and missed both - those fish are so cute it's a brilliant water.

Screenshot_20181222-183943.png

Just thinking of another one, on of all days a Friday the 13th.

I had been doing fire extinguisher servicing calls around Sudbury and Halstead area, and turned up a single track road. As I drove up the road a female driver coming the other way drove past the passing place and continued coming, forcing me in the van up onto the verge as I had nowhere else to go. As the van tilted the side of the van scraped across the cars roof, heavily denting my van. I managed to swap insurance details etc, and then went to my next call at a veterinary practice in the area before finishing up and driving back to the company office in Wymondham. I then had to switch all my existing stock and tools into a spare van, along with my weekly top-up. From Wymondham I then drove back to Ipswich, put my fishing gear in the van, and drove via a customer call on the A120 to Nazeing.

When I arrived at Nazeing I was shattered, it was about 10pm, I had been up since about 6 that morning driving and doing customer calls as well as stock swap.

Somehow I managed to get set up, thank heavens for Fox EasyDome, bivvy up in minutes. By 11.30 I was set and sorted and just crashed out when I had a proper screamer. I can't remember the fight, but I can remember the 28lb common at the end of it. This was the last picture I took on 35mm film, so this is the scanned copy of a print.

Later that same night I had a 23lb common, which I was sadly so tired I didn't photograph.

image.jpeg

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Correct typo**

On 21/12/2018 at 21:15, Dave Hedgehog said:

The story’s have gone quiet, hoping to kick start it again. Found a couple more favourites. My pb commmon and then a very unusual day time capture for me. I’ve never managed the moody blank expression in catch pictures. Normally too shocked and euphoric!!

That fully scaled mirror is beautiful, I’d have that photo framed and hung above my fire place if I’d caught it. 😀

On 21/12/2018 at 21:15, Dave Hedgehog said:

Well it's good to see a happy Hedgehog , and that incredible fully scaled you'd have to be a right plonker  to have a moody blank expression ! .

😀 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2018 at 19:16, chillfactor said:

Favourite mirror... which was really hard to choose as I've had some real crackers over the years,  certainly not  my biggest mirror,  but defiantly one of my personal favourites,  also marked a good zig session where everything fell into place for me .

FB_IMG_1517434805521.thumb.jpg.3e692721f59fccded6114bb9e6bee5b7.jpg

Favourite common also not my biggest,  but it's a survivor after we thought it was lost to otters after doing the disappearing act for a couple of years 

FB_IMG_1520846759371.thumb.jpg.de622687df77bf81cda59462c9baacbd.jpg

Well lads what can I say , very depressing day to be an angler ! Absolutely no big fish left so the common above has been had this winter as I spotted it in the summer . Even the small amount of fish left the majority of them had half a tail .

So from my findings today if your on a water getting hit hard by otters in a few years there be nothing left & what is will more likely be damaged . The future looks proper grim !  

30 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Well lads what can I say , very depressing day to be an angler ! Absolutely no big fish left so the common above has been had this winter as I spotted it in the summer . Even the small amount of fish left the majority of them had half a tail .

So from my findings today if your on a water getting hit hard by otters in a few years there be nothing left & what is will more likely be damaged . The future looks proper grim !  

That must hurt a bit stand out commons like that one are getting rare in most modern lakes, don't think we have had much of a problem with the Os in this part of the midlands, think i might of seen one on canal pool a few years back but it could of been a mink.

Few of my favs, had all three of these beauties one early summer evening on pine pool, my favourite time of the year to be out,

Even the mozzies were getting in the pics lol

12274264_1664388533776541_6539024864827835006_n.jpg

1508002_1623845424497519_4758318265917022273_n.jpg

10277762_1623845344497527_251847712681611480_n.jpg

10305177_1623845391164189_7027244255762275710_n.jpg

Edited by Carpbell_ll