multi rig questions

cloud9

2 hours ago, finchey said:

I don't actually measure the size of the loop I make just big enough to fit over the hook, it's just trial and era with me because if I use the rig for a pop up I like it pop up as short as I can get it. 

I hope this helps you Crusian.🙂👍

2 hours ago, emmcee said:

Must admit I use a 1 1/2" loop when I'm fishing over a bed of  scattered boilies. I've used this rig over particles as well but I use a smaller loop, probably about 3/4". But all the time it's with a size 4. Personal choice i guess.

1 hour ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

I’d say fish size isn’t the only thing that comes into play when choosing hook size, the water I fish is very weedy and a size 4 gives me that extra confidence when playing fish through that thick weed... especially because there’s a barbed hook ban also.

Thanks fellas .

The reason I ask about loop size is because of the height the pop up will sit at ( which is what I use for most of my fishing ) .

I remember a thread which was talking about smaller carp approaching the pop up along the bottom of the lake and so the pop up would be obviously off the bottom ( and possibly make them wary )  , but larger carp because of their bellies would have to approach  at an angle from above and therefore the fact that the pop up could be up to 3" off the bottom wouldn't be so blatantly obvious .

😃

On 09/04/2020 at 12:55, bluelabel said:

One thing I found that makes a difference to how the rig sits, is to strip back the coating towards the knot.. if you do it the other way it makes the link behind the break in the coating curve instead of laying flat... but the you probably already knew that I s'pose

Well I hadn't given any thought to the direction I should strip back , so thanks very much , Blue .

😃

• 2 months later...
On 22/06/2020 at 22:19, fishingaddict said:

I am tempted to try the ESP Trighammer hooks with a multi rig...

Size 6 trig

2 esp big buoyant (yeah right) corn 

size 4 anchor weight

spliced hooklength 

just done this as I have the kit by my side lol

117EC122-C5F4-4CB7-B927-8B0C0E1D60E3.jpeg

Edited by framey

13 hours ago, framey said:

Size 6 trig

2 esp big buoyant (yeah right) corn 

size 4 anchor weight

spliced hooklength 

just done this as I have the kit by my side lol

117EC122-C5F4-4CB7-B927-8B0C0E1D60E3.jpeg

I didn't have the patients for the spliceable hooklink, it does look a nice rig though, 

Can't help wondering if you could just use a spinner or ronnie rig set up with a d rig kicker and get a similar presentation though might try it, 👍

58 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I didn't have the patients for the spliceable hooklink, it does look a nice rig though, 

Can't help wondering if you could just use a spinner or ronnie rig set up with a d rig kicker and get a similar presentation though might try it, 👍

Fishing addict wanted to try it lol

to be fair 

i has a lot less metal work than a Ronnie. plus I have sussed out a way to splice that ridgemonkey stuff.

1 hour ago, framey said:

Fishing addict wanted to try it lol

to be fair 

i has a lot less metal work than a Ronnie. plus I have sussed out a way to splice that ridgemonkey stuff.

I often wonder about all the metal and the klanking underwater and whether it acts like a warning bell to the fish, I can splice avid pindown leader a treat now, hooklink was just too narrow for my chubby fingers 😳

44 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

It might not be a problem but I just wondered if the metal clanking noise may be amplified in water, just a consideration really,

I suppose the shrink tubing stops it clanking about or knocking together. Spins like a normal swivel really doesn’t it. None of it is that loose. 

22 minutes ago, greekskii said:

I suppose the shrink tubing stops it clanking about or knocking together. Spins like a normal swivel really doesn’t it. None of it is that loose. 

I guess so, I bet sound deadening shrink tube could be a big seller though, imagine the paranoia that could create 😂

• 2 years later...
On 03/06/2019 at 10:18, snowmanstevo said:

I’m sure I read on here many moons ago that one of the members called it a day after watching the underwater stuff and took up fluff chucking because he couldn’t get his head round how many times we get done.🙄🙄😂😂

Them pesky carp can sometimes be one step ahead 🙄😬😎🎣

That’s was my mate! I posted that ages ago. His username was Lizardking on here going back years ago now, 2003-4. He did indeed jack it in and become a fluff chucker 

On 09/04/2020 at 11:04, framey said:

I’m going to go back and splice all my hooklengths for the multi from now on found a splicable material I can use for it again.

On 09/04/2020 at 11:35, elmoputney said:

Spliceable hooklinks? You've got me interested lol 

I started researching but not sure where to start who makes good ones please? 

I have spliced 25lb Kryston Merlin and Silkworm in the past, more actually to take away the knot on the eye of the hook, although I did try Multi-rigs with it.

I actually stopped bothering in the end and just used it doubled up straight to the swivel.

I'm on the last of VMC hooks I've been using for my very short version of the Multi-rig.

The silicone tubing on the hookshank stops the bait moving on the cast, although the whole lot has been bagged. When playing fish the loop just pulls down to the eye.

With a cut down pop-up hookholds have been dead centre even with that size 4. It is perfectly balanced, although my only concern (possibly overthinking) is that a carp has to take it in facing me, towards the rod tip.

(Pics in PVA Bags or October Catch report)

• 6 months later...

Been sticking with my version of the Multi-rig and a RH Naturalz Infusion. The hooklink is doubled over 15lb Kryston Merlin and no more than 15centimetres long.

Just hooked and landed a carp, very well hooked, about an inch inside the mouth, size 4 Solar 101 and that critically balanced spiral bait. 

Again the whole lot, lead and rig was in the PVA bag with a load of what is basically dust, ground boilies, (KMG, Monster Crab and Infusion) and Vitalin.

(If you want the RH bumpf:

A critically balanced hookbait with a twist, (quite literally)

The Naturalz hookbaits have been designed to fool some of the wariest carp. Acting like a wafter by critically balancing your hook presentation, but with the addition of the spiralled texture.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went off multi rigs again last night BTW. I reeled in one of my rods and it had been sprung (only rod it was on btw) I even used a hook bead stop thing to prevent it happening. Probably those darned rudd or something but if your rig doesn't reset you aren't likely to catch.I may as well have put out a solid bag with no hook. To be fair though I am starting to think solid bags aren't the one when there is gazillions of rudd,🤔 

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I went off multi rigs again last night BTW. I reeled in one of my rods and it had been sprung (only rod it was on btw) I even used a hook bead stop thing to prevent it happening. Probably those darned rudd or something but if your rig doesn't reset you aren't likely to catch.I may as well have put out a solid bag with no hook. To be fair though I am starting to think solid bags aren't the one when there is gazillions of rudd,🤔 

Earith or somewhere else?

I had to up the bait size on Virginia when rudd were about, and avoid using particles and pellets.

I don't mind catching 2lb rudd when I'm fishing for them, but they could be a pain over the particle.

I had to go to 2x 15mm boilies on the hair, and resort to stringers.

14 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Earith or somewhere else?

I had to up the bait size on Virginia when rudd were about, and avoid using particles and pellets.

I don't mind catching 2lb rudd when I'm fishing for them, but they could be a pain over the particle.

I had to go to 2x 15mm boilies on the hair, and resort to stringers.

Yeah Earith, I don't mind the Rudd being about I just don't want to catch them lol,I think the baiting pyramid works quite well there, I use a 13mm pop up mainly and don't catch many but I guess if I use a spinner it resets that's my main concern is that is wasnt fishing probably all night. Where a spinner would've been. Quite happy with my spinner set up presently though. Just not a bag rig as its too clunky. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/06/2023 at 11:48, elmoputney said:

Yeah Earith, I don't mind the Rudd being about I just don't want to catch them lol,I think the baiting pyramid works quite well there, I use a 13mm pop up mainly and don't catch many but I guess if I use a spinner it resets that's my main concern is that is wasnt fishing probably all night. Where a spinner would've been. Quite happy with my spinner set up presently though. Just not a bag rig as its too clunky. 

I rarely used anything other than straight from the bag boilies on the hair.