Thought of the Day pt.2

greekskii

I had to chuckle today a certain someone really is petty, just looked at the latest catch, i never look as chonged as perma pale face ........., he will sell a bit too and is well known too, asked me if i could get for him? er no i don't do that, plus when he seen what i had he couldn't figure out it was CBD lol they sell it in a fair few shops near me, makes a change from vaping when on the bank without smoking a ciggie which i nearly started again. 

On 16/02/2022 at 18:31, Jone5y said:

I fished that Jigsaw lake for a season or two ages ago. It was a really nice atmosphere and everybody I met down there was very pleasant. The top lake was always of interest to me but I believe it was, and may still be, invite only by the owner. 

By top lake do you mean the new one they’ve just added officially to the complex. I do believe it is invite only still though! Grebe lake or something. 

3 hours ago, greekskii said:

By top lake do you mean the new one they’ve just added officially to the complex. I do believe it is invite only still though! Grebe lake or something. 

Wacker also run Towcester lake on the racecourse think it is a fully bookable lake for groups of anglers, looks like a good social water. good group of anglers you can pick your bait up from the unit and chances are it wouldn't of been frozen if you catch it right  had a few anglers real interested in them due to the out the bag freshness they are almost as soft as paste but crumble like a cake very well made. 

9 hours ago, greekskii said:

Yeah that's the one. It was always a lake that the owner and his mates would fish from my understanding. I seem to remember one of the "bailiffs" on Jigsaw whose name I cannot remember telling me that no-one really bothered fishing it as the biggest carp had recently died. I used to walk around it occasionally but never really saw much of interest.

1 hour ago, Jone5y said:

Yeah that's the one. It was always a lake that the owner and his mates would fish from my understanding. I seem to remember one of the "bailiffs" on Jigsaw whose name I cannot remember telling me that no-one really bothered fishing it as the biggest carp had recently died. I used to walk around it occasionally but never really saw much of interest.

Yeah I think it’s the only one they have fenced due to it being a different landowner they lease it from. From what I gather it’s a lovely lake with some really nice fish in. Lookers at least. A few pics on their website now and some decent sized fish too 

I've had a set of SS3000s. Although they look fantastic and they're robust (the square-drive originals), they also squeal like a pig when you turn the handle and wobble all over the place. The line-clips are terrible as well so you'll want to pay to get upgraded replacements. Don't forget to replace the completely pointless spool rubbers as well! You could probably get a second-hand set of tournament-S 5000Ts for much cheaper and they're basically the same reel (I've had them as well) minus the looks.

I would recommend the Daiwa "baboon" Emblems but I've just looked at the price of them and they're ridiculously expensive. Unfortunately, I think they're the best looking reels ever made so they'll have to go up in value before I think about selling up.

Edited by Jone5y

Then you'd do well to invest in a good set of the original square-drive SS3000s. They've increased in value tremendously since I last went carp fishing and I can only see them going upwards, especially when you see some of the prices being fetched for other rare Daiwa reels. They have the magic formula for an investment - nostalgia and reliability.

13 hours ago, Jone5y said:

they also squeal like a pig when you turn the handle and wobble all over the place. The line-clips are terrible as well so you'll want to pay to get upgraded replacements. Don't forget to replace the completely pointless spool rubbers as well.

All true, but as you say they'll work right as rain without any servicing whatsoever for 20 years. All part of the charm. It's the same with the Emblems and the Infinities imo. Noisy, clunky, loose, heavy, but completely indestructible.

13 hours ago, Jone5y said:

5000Ts

This is where the smart money goes for anyone that actually wants to use them every day imo. I use a set for my most of my fishing.

13 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

They won’t see the bank to be fair, there more of an investment

My SS3's haven't seen the bank in a while now, they're safe and sound in their original boxes. When COVID hit the 2nd hand prices soared. Even the spools are going for 100 quid. I think I have 12 originals and another 3 Westons. It's starting to look like my retirement fund lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a busy few weeks....

The Front Drive is now done, gates are up... At weekend removed old Gazebo and hot tub, Jet washed all around the house paths and decking, this morning started to re paint all front yard fences. 

Hoping to be done by Friday, maybe out for a day sesh Saturday. 

Then in April start on the back garden, build free standing pergola (got all the bits except the perspex roof), reprint all back fences and sheds. 

8 hours ago, Highy said:

Had a busy few weeks....

The Front Drive is now done, gates are up... At weekend removed old Gazebo and hot tub, Jet washed all around the house paths and decking, this morning started to re paint all front yard fences. 

Hoping to be done by Friday, maybe out for a day sesh Saturday. 

Then in April start on the back garden, build free standing pergola (got all the bits except the perspex roof), reprint all back fences and sheds. 

Awww come on mate you’re just making us look lazy  😳

• 2 weeks later...

Can't take her anywhere, she was having a look at the puffa jackets and liked the ridgemonkey one i said get one if you like, nah, they only do them in green makes you look like a hand grenade.🤣 first time she has been a tackle shop in years, couldn't get over how much carp gear there was these days and the prices,  999.99 for the camo tempest in old 1970's sofa material, i thought they would be a real nice peach skin feel, floral sofa coverings sprang to mind.