Alternatives to floss for baiting chod rigs.

welder

Mick persuaded me that I ought to try chod rigs (I know that silt rigs is their true title but I don't care). Tried it and caught a couple of nice Nige's.

I've got my head around the noose type of knot for tying pop up/tictac/whatever to the ring at the shank of the hook, using bait/dental floss but I've got big, clumsy fingers and find tying them on the bank to be a pain.

Is there a more user-friendly method I can use, please? I'm thinking about some sort of bait band or similar.

Grateful for all suggestions and advice.

Ian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely a bait band just looped onto the ring and pulled through Ian...if like me, your fingers are a bit knarled and knackered(given your work I can assume this is correct) this is a far easier option and is just as secure...more so in fact to my mind.

Del

ps. a gated needle is best obviously .......so there is no tearing the bands

I put a mini swivel on the D. Put the floss through it and pull through the bait. Pull the swivel into the bait and then blob the two ends with a lighter. No tieing involved.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

I have being looking all over the forum for your thread with them pictures to post here.

I remember you telling me about that way Nige, and I must say its how I tie my chods now and feel very confident in the way they present the bait and the hooking capabilities.

I use the rig marole bore rings, great bit of kit :)

I use the bore rings also, quick and easy, but I know a lot of people buy ready made chod rigs, so using the bore rings is not an option.

Tie the ring on with some bait floss :wink:

I should have said that I'm currently using the ESP pre-tied rigs. :oops:

Ian

I put a mini swivel on the D. Put the floss through it and pull through the bait. Pull the swivel into the bait and then blob the two ends with a lighter. No tieing involved.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Nige, can I assume that the added weight of the mini swivel is overcome by the bouyancy of the hookbait?

Ian

Ian , my fingers are the same mate , tieing pop ups on with bait floss is just way too fiddly .

I tend to use the "u" section of a paper clip , pop one end of it through the D and push the "u" into the pop up .

I know this involves piercing the hookbait which a lot of people frown upon , but a good quality pop up will remain bouyant plenty long enough.

Just for the record , i use the esp choddies too but the gardners are a great substitute when the esp's are out of stock.

God you fellas love to complicate things....readymade chod....one bait band....job done!! :lol: ....I dont use chods(ever)....but the issue is the same.....why add metal....braid and blah blah blah to a rig that is using a pop up????...one little rubber band...job done...no hassle...no fiddle...same result....in fact a neater result!...in fact i could go further and ask why you use a rig ring( extra metal)......done the same since 87 without any added metal...and to be fair...my bait blows back far more efficiently....all you older carpers...think back to before rings etc etc ...the original sliding hair.......overthought a touch thesedays perhaps?? :wink:

God you fellas love to complicate things....readymade chod....one bait band....job done!! :lol: ....I dont use chods(ever)....but the issue is the same.....why add metal....braid and blah blah blah to a rig that is using a pop up????...one little rubber band...job done...no hassle...no fiddle...same result....in fact a neater result!...in fact i could go further and ask why you use a rig ring( extra metal)......done the same since 87 without any added metal...and to be fair...my bait blows back far more efficiently....all you older carpers...think back to before rings etc etc ...the original sliding hair.......overthought a touch thesedays perhaps?? :wink:

Del, tie one up like I do. Once done and baited, hold onto the bait and the swivel. When you blow on the rig, it spins freely, in either direction. This, for me, is reason enough for adding the extra metal as you say or over complicating things. The only extra 'fiddle' when mounting the bait is to blob the ends of the floss.

Ian, those popups are the most buoyant I have ever seen. This is the reason for the shot on the swivel. It lets the rig sit nicer than putty. I do use a mainline pineapple popup sometimes and it holds up for a good 18 hours on that rig. If I was having problems then I would do away with the mini swivel and use the same floss and blob method on a ring.

I just like the independent movement capabilities. I imagine that if a fish approaches the bait from the 'rear' of the rig. It gives the hook the best chance of catching hold.

Confidence is the main part though. It might have no benefit whatsoever but in my wierd head its worth it? Lol

I like what you've done with the shot on the swivel, never thought of that will give it a try. That's my only concern with the chod (I haven't much experience using them) that when your using the likes of avid stuff like highlites and tic tacs the buoyancy in them is unbelievable so I worry it needs to much weight?

I like what you've done with the shot on the swivel, never thought of that will give it a try. That's my only concern with the chod (I haven't much experience using them) that when your using the likes of avid stuff like highlites and tic tacs the buoyancy in them is unbelievable so I worry it needs to much weight?

I used the avid naked chod beads a couple of weeks ago, before all this snow, and they work a treat with a pop up, well balanced and don't slip on the line when wet, worth a look at :D

I used the avid naked chod beads a couple of weeks ago, before all this snow, and they work a treat with a pop up, well balanced and don't slip on the line when wet, worth a look at :D

I've got them mate, I think. The ones where the rig sits in the bead rather than having two? You still need weight though don't you? I like to fish slack lines and always picture it lifting up where the rig is unless I fish it tight