Alternatives to floss for baiting chod rigs.

welder

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fleabay gives you a full choice of sizes.

I've carried one for years for worms and to inject pva bags with flavour. :wink:

I'll have a look on eBay, Neil. Thanks.

That idea of injecting flavour into PVA bags would never have occurred to me. Good one!

Ian

Never thought of a bait band on the d, good idea. But while my fingers still work I'll stick to tying them on with floss :wink:. I must say lads, good thread. Sticky? :D

Also lads, out of curiosity, on a naked chod how far do you allow the hooklink to travel before it hits the bead, as when i used to use leadcore (dont anymore) i used to let it run about 8 foot. but as im now using 20lb x line, would you change this as there isnt the weight of the leadcore to help hook the carp? Would you change lead size to a heavier lead also incorporating hooking mechanics? would be interesting to see your views..

I said this a very long time ago, as I refused to use leadcore, I was practicing the " Naked chod" as it seems to be known, whist most hadnt heard of it .

I do not use a top bead, I have never found a reason to use one and I use the lightest leads possible and on small lakes I often use 1/2oz leads.

I have been told by "experts"that it wont work!, well I must ONLY fish for suicidle carp.

Do you do anything to stop the rig travelling up the line on your cast then beens as though no top bead? Or do you just let it go? Which could mean your rigs 30 - 40ft back from the lead by the time it hits the water

Never thought of a bait band on the d, good idea. But while my fingers still work I'll stick to tying them on with floss :wink:. I must say lads, good thread. Sticky? :D

Also lads, out of curiosity, on a naked chod how far do you allow the hooklink to travel before it hits the bead, as when i used to use leadcore (dont anymore) i used to let it run about 8 foot. but as im now using 20lb x line, would you change this as there isnt the weight of the leadcore to help hook the carp? Would you change lead size to a heavier lead also incorporating hooking mechanics? would be interesting to see your views..

I said this a very long time ago, as I refused to use leadcore, I was practicing the " Naked chod" as it seems to be known, whist most hadnt heard of it .

I do not use a top bead, I have never found a reason to use one and I use the lightest leads possible and on small lakes I often use 1/2oz leads.

I have been told by "experts"that it wont work!, well I must ONLY fish for suicidle carp.

Do you do anything to stop the rig travelling up the line on your cast then beens as though no top bead? Or do you just let it go? Which could mean your rigs 30 - 40ft back from the lead by the time it hits the water

Try doubling up a length of PVA string. Then pulling itself through a loop around the mainline. It will hold naked chod beads still. Or use a piece of dissolving foam to create the same effect.

My concern with the bore rings is that if the bait comes off, the carp is left with a spike in it's mouth.

My thoughts as well.

I avoid Korda and other Maggot rings for the same reason.

I have removed a few posts, the follow-up comment made about opinions was frankly quite rude and insulting.

• 11 months later...
I put a mini swivel on the D. Put the floss through it and pull through the bait. Pull the swivel into the bait and then blob the two ends with a lighter. No tieing involved.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Nige,

Have you tried this rig although using a plain standard ring instead of the swivel?

I understand that a swivel will give a little bit more weight to balance the pop-up, but I think that a rig ring will still give correct movement along the D-rig section

I put a mini swivel on the D. Put the floss through it and pull through the bait. Pull the swivel into the bait and then blob the two ends with a lighter. No tieing involved.

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Nige,

Have you tried this rig although using a plain standard ring instead of the swivel?

I understand that a swivel will give a little bit more weight to balance the pop-up, but I think that a rig ring will still give correct movement along the D-rig section

ever since i see niges pic,iv used a swivel and melted the floss...it speeds up 'rigging up' no end, being able to hold the swivel with fat clumsy fingers to slide on the D or shank is so easy,unlike fiddling with a micro ring and needle...never lost a swivel doing this :roll::lol: