Shot on the hook from Today's thought.

Higham1987

42 minutes ago, Higham1987 said:

Shot on The Hook....

Only heard it other week and sick of seeing it now....get the idea but WHY ??

Screenshot_20240901_170150_YouTube.jpg.1d3e63ebe46083416cf0cbf593597982.jpg

I have been tinkering with shortening my rigs, since I watched that went from regulation 7" to about 4-5" 

I have also ditched lead clips recently and gone back to Inlines. 

I am not easily led though 🙄 I haven't gone full shot on the hook yet. 😂

29 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I have been tinkering with shortening my rigs, since I watched that went from regulation 7" to about 4-5" 

I have also ditched lead clips recently and gone back to Inlines. 

I am not easily led though 🙄 I haven't gone full shot on the hook yet. 😂

WHEN I'm back, I'm going the usual running rig, but with 4/5 inch supple rigs all in a PVA bag...

47 minutes ago, Higham1987 said:

WHEN I'm back, I'm going the usual running rig, but with 4/5 inch supple rigs all in a PVA bag...

I bought 50m of PVA mesh earlier.25mm and 38mm, I've just been clipping on small bags of pellets or 4 or 5 boilies to the hook, I've got a really thick matching glug I've never used so I'm going to tie a load up and just dip em before casting. I've also got some stick mix I could roll em in that after lol, be like casting out a KFC chicken leg 😂

I watched the korda under water videos, was a good eye opener on how much we probably get done without knowing 🤣 I seen a few variations of the shot on the hook now, one where I'm the loop holding the shot can slide on the hook, the barb stops it sliding off, also seen in so you can fish a popup off a hair with the hook pulled down to the bottom. Only problem in my eyes is its gonna be prone to blunting the hook.

I don't really mess with rigs, I still fish a hair rig blow back style, only adjustment I've made is its a loop to loop combi rig, I can whip the bottom hair rig loops up in seconds. My current loops are kurve shank size 4, large korda kicker, with a blowback ring, 20mm bottom bait, 16mm topper so it's sat snowman. I like about 5 - 10mm separation between the hook and bait. The bottom loops are looped onto a 6" stiff boom. I would normally fish a standard blow back rig with it stripped at the bottom but the loop to loop combis just make them quicker to tie, and the stiff boom section helps reduce tangles when fishing at range 🤙

Wonder how much the weighted hook beads will be when they hit the market 🤣

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

The sad thing is some people will buy them no matter how much and yet so easy to make your own. 

Must admit I used the shot on the hook rig years ago but never noticed a real edge with it. 

They'll soon be an underwater film with this rig getting spat out or it will get banned for some reason or another.  

3 hours ago, jh92 said:

I watched the korda under water videos, was a good eye opener on how much we probably get done without knowing 🤣 I seen a few variations of the shot on the hook now, one where I'm the loop holding the shot can slide on the hook, the barb stops it sliding off, also seen in so you can fish a popup off a hair with the hook pulled down to the bottom. Only problem in my eyes is its gonna be prone to blunting the hook.

I don't really mess with rigs, I still fish a hair rig blow back style, only adjustment I've made is its a loop to loop combi rig, I can whip the bottom hair rig loops up in seconds. My current loops are kurve shank size 4, large korda kicker, with a blowback ring, 20mm bottom bait, 16mm topper so it's sat snowman. I like about 5 - 10mm separation between the hook and bait. The bottom loops are looped onto a 6" stiff boom. I would normally fish a standard blow back rig with it stripped at the bottom but the loop to loop combis just make them quicker to tie, and the stiff boom section helps reduce tangles when fishing at range 🤙

Wonder how quick they will go out of fashion lol

5 hours ago, jh92 said:

OK so what did we really learn from the latest video, short rigs on gravel bottoms - nothing new whatsoever, did the shot have an impact or the rig length? they didn't compare to their previous rigs in shorter versions, so we learnt just that shorter rigs worked better on the hard ground 🤣

7 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

OK so what did we really learn from the latest video, short rigs on gravel bottoms - nothing new whatsoever, did the shot have an impact or the rig length? they didn't compare to their previous rigs in shorter versions, so we learnt just that shorter rigs worked better on the hard ground 🤣

Well to be fair... thats not exactly ground breaking is it...?? most of us use short rigs over hard ground as a matter of course, as an ex match angler I've tied hooklinks as short as 2" ( flipping fiddly) but the hooklinks need to be long enough to get in the carp's gob and 4" seems to be an optimum (certainly for method fishing, which isn't too far removed from our style) shot on the hook...? Hmmm.. wonder if its possible  to weight the point another way..? Putty... ?

In the great scheme of things, yer average carp seems to take a bait on the move, and with the fish in Saint Danny's vid, they ghosted in and seemed to sna-tch at a bait rather than the "waddle up, nod down and bingo" that we all pray they'll do... I think that the blatant popup will spook some off, but you can't argue with the sheer numbers caught on them... it may be that the fish in that particular water just don't like a popup. As a matter of course I use snowman rigs on my club waters and they score well, a 16mm bottom bait with an 8 or 10mm popup to sit the lot up nicely, works well for me, sometimes I trim either the popup or the bottom bait to achieve the required neutral bouyancy, but as long as it just sinks I'm happy

Edited by bluelabel

23 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Spend most of my time fishing in silt 🤣 very good point though, how effective would it be on a soft bottom? I don't fish in weed so can't really comment but assume it wouldn't be as effective?

So if I was fishing a clean hard bottom could I add a shot to a bottom bait rig that's on a hair? Feel like I need to re watch it now 🤣🤣

I doubt I'll use it on the res I'm at anyway because finding a clean spot on there is like searching for rocking horse [censored] 🤣

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

Spend most of my time fishing in silt 🤣 very good point though, how effective would it be on a soft bottom? I don't fish in weed so can't really comment but assume it wouldn't be as effective?

So if I was fishing a clean hard bottom could I add a shot to a bottom bait rig that's on a hair? Feel like I need to re watch it now 🤣🤣

I doubt I'll use it on the res I'm at anyway because finding a clean spot on there is like searching for rocking horse [censored] 🤣

It wouldn't work well on a soft bottom or in weed as you say and short rigs on hard ground is age old as are weighted hooks.  If you wanted to do this just floss a split shot would prob do the job better anyway.

I'm not at all convinced because show me a rig where the hook doesnt hang down when the bait is lifted?

I think if they'd have gone back to what they started with in a shorter length they'd have caught just as many.

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

It wouldn't work well on a soft bottom or in weed as you say and short rigs on hard ground is age old as are weighted hooks.  If you wanted to do this just floss a split shot would prob do the job better anyway.

I'm not at all convinced because show me a rig where the hook doesnt hang down when the bait is lifted?

I think if they'd have gone back to what they started with in a shorter length they'd have caught just as many.

Think I would give it a miss to be honest mate, just another thing to question if I'm not catching 🤣 I do like these under water videos, I know they are mainly plugging products but you can learn a lot from the carps behaviour etc. 

I was having a chat with a different angler about the current video and was discussing about when one of the Carp literally turned 180 and bee lined to the pop up, we reckon it was done off vision and not smell if that makes sense.

spacer.png

I don't understand this presentation, surely fishing this on a hard bottom will dramatically increase blunting your hook when you go to retrieve it?

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I wish I could be bothered to try the method again, I've got all the bits to do it, but never seem to get round to actually doing it. 

Only need a bit of groundbait in your munga mix or scald the pellet you are already using and sling one out …

Edited by framey

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

I don't understand this presentation, surely fishing this on a hard bottom will dramatically increase blunting your hook when you go to retrieve it

Yeah I wont use a rig balanced in that way, I have the hook laying flat with anything balanced.  Blunting and asking to pick up debris IMO

11 hours ago, jh92 said:

I was having a chat with a different angler about the current video and was discussing about when one of the Carp literally turned 180 and bee lined to the pop up, we reckon it was done off vision and not smell if that makes sense.

Imo the visual aspect of hookbaits is massively overlooked. Carp can see more than 4 times as many colours as humans, and can see in the UV and infrared spectrums - so basically their detection of colour is miles better than ours and they can see at night (explains how the black foam zigs work at night eh, lads). One thing I've taken from every underwater vid I've ever seen (going right back to the first Korda one in the late 90's) is that they see the hookbaits clear as day and are often drawn towards something a little different.... something that sticks out.

I used to spend hours/days/weeks/months preparing and glugging special hookbaits. Over the years I've stopped doing it as I now believe colour or visual appearance is way more important than food content or flavour (when used over bait anyway). I even have a stash of Proper Job Pop Ups with zero flavour that I prefer to fish over certain groundbaits.

Worth also mentioning that given their UV/IR vision, we're probably wasting our time trying to camouflage our end tackle. What's green or brown to us might look bright purple to them! You can see this on the underwater films too - sometime they just know something's not right. Luckily, they're not smart enough to know what a hook, lead, or leader is, so we catch in spite of it!

Anyway I digress....... shot on the hook rig? Been around for years as mentioned. I personally haven't fished a spot clean enough for that rig in years so I have no interest. Also have to agree with @kevtaylor that there's nothing in the newer vid to suggest it's the shot making the difference rather than the very short hooklink!

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I used to spend hours/days/weeks/months preparing and glugging special hookbaits. Over the years I've stopped doing it as I now believe colour or visual appearance is way more important than food content or flavour (when used over bait anyway). I even have a stash of Proper Job Pop Ups with zero flavour that I prefer to fish over certain groundbaits.

That's an Interesting idea, I've also been guilty of spending ages poncing up hookbaits, and actually quite often ones I think should be deadly don't catch anymore than the rest (sometimes less Infact) . I have got a tub of unflavoured proper jobs that was planning to flavour the stinky winky out of. I do think I catch more when I use my spod mix though which has loads of colours, I do think the garlic granules are a factor but maybe I've been overlooking the importance of the colour. You can also add why does plastic corn work so well. 

I think it is probably a lot to do with length of rig as much as the shot. And possibly lead arrangement too, I used inlines and 2" shorter rigs for my recent hauling trip, I don't think i am changing back to lead clips or helis anytime soon.