Water for particles

jh92

Just a quick question really, always used hot water from the kettle to soak my particles before boiling.

I was reading something online about using mineral water instead of tap water.

Any thoughts on this?

All my particles have now arrived and it's time to start preparing them, wondering if I should try mineral water instead 🤔 probably over thinking things again 🤣

22 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Just a quick question really, always used hot water from the kettle to soak my particles before boiling.

Any thoughts on this?

All my particles have now arrived and it's time to start preparing them, wondering if I should try mineral water instead 🤔 probably over thinking things again 🤣

Never heard of that or used mineral water when I used to do my particles. Maybe do a batch with and a batch without and compare catch results. 

3 hours ago, emmcee said:

Never heard of that or used mineral water when I used to do my particles. Maybe do a batch with and a batch without and compare catch results. 

I read it the other day, trying to find it again but no luck lol. Something to do with the water being pure without chemicals etc 🤔

3 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

If you must, it is cheap enough. Tap water is fine though some use mineral water due to it not having a bleach smell, if you leave the water in a open container all the gases will come off and the bleach smell.

At a rush 1 drop of lemon juice will do the same instantly in around 5l of tap water.

Never really noticed it myself, thanks for the advice if I do decide to do it I will try letting it sit before boiling but to be honest it all seems like a lot of faff. Probably will just use water straight from the kettle 🤣

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I always soak mine in cold water straight from the tap, that seems overkill to me putting it in perrier, by the time it's boiled and all the other stinky winky is added it's been sterilised anyway. 

Good point mate, I've always boiled it first then added it, only because my thinking is adding it in hot will help the particle absorb it better 🤔

To prevent contamination with germs, water companies add a disinfectant—usually either chlorine or chloramine—that kills disease-causing germs such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, and norovirus.

Quote from Google. I've got a bit paranoid about tainting bait and if I'm soaking particles, I'll boil the water in a saucepan for a few minutes, let it stand for about 15 minutes and then add it warm to the seeds. That should boil off any chlorine and it also speeds up the softening process.

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

To prevent contamination with germs, water companies add a disinfectant—usually either chlorine or chloramine—that kills disease-causing germs such as Salmonella, Campylobacter, and norovirus.

Quote from Google. I've got a bit paranoid about tainting bait and if I'm soaking particles, I'll boil the water in a saucepan for a few minutes, let it stand for about 15 minutes and then add it warm to the seeds. That should boil off any chlorine and it also speeds up the softening process.

Got me paranoid now as well, was about to put my bait soaking but gonna buy some bottled water tomorrow and use that instead 🤣

12 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I wouldn't worry mate you will need your own Peckham spring the amount you are planning to make. 

It's going to be a busy week for me mate, I've got 5 x 10l buckets, to soak the first batch in for 48 hours, 1 hemp, 2 tigers and 2 maize. Going to grind away and try and cook the lot in one afternoon, then bag/freeze. Fill the buckets up again and repeat the process. I reckon 2 goes should use most of it up 🤔 going to try and find another pot as well, got an old pressure cooker floating around somewhere lol

8 hours ago, jh92 said:

Any thoughts on this?

From tap to kettle, boil and pour on particles.

Or from pasta into bucket and freeze. Defrost and pour on particles to soak them.

9 hours ago, jh92 said:

Any thoughts on this?

Sod using water you pay for…

use water butt water if you don't want to use good old tap water..

Ccmoore recommending bottled water lol

37 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

Terry Hearn uses tap water to make his GLM bait splash, made a point of saying as such, good enough for us....

I use tap water to wash my baits out and prepare particles, wouldn't even worry about such a thing tbh  certainly wouldn't pay for bottled water unless I'm having it.

Yeah mate I guess with it being a new water I was just over thinking things, I've used tap water loads of time and caught lol

1 hour ago, jh92 said:

Ccmoore recommending bottled water lol

Yeah mate I guess with it being a new water I was just over thinking things, I've used tap water loads of time and caught lol

Its too easy to over think everything, we all do it.

If tap water Is good enough for Mr Hearn - it's good enough.

I've used rain water and pond water and I thought the bait went off quicker, might have imagined it though, I've used tap water since 👍

On 04/09/2023 at 18:26, kevtaylor said:

Its too easy to over think everything, we all do it.

If tap water Is good enough for Mr Hearn - it's good enough.

I've used rain water and pond water and I thought the bait went off quicker, might have imagined it though, I've used tap water since 👍

Gone for boiled tap water mate.

Put my hemp seed soaking for 48 hours. Poured it into a pot to boil it...

20230905_185658.thumb.jpg.657ec73dcbf9a7059036c275b2ddd2b9.jpg

Water is brown? Never had this happen before, I'm going to assume its soil or something 🤔 is it bad?

16 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Does it smell and look OK? 

Yeah smells fine, boiled up and the seeds have split and released oil. I'm gonna be draining the liquid off and freezing it once its cooled down. Hopefully it will be alright 🤔next batch I'm gonna rinse the seeds off to start with, pretty sure it was mud/soil?

15 minutes ago, jh92 said:

Yeah smells fine, boiled up and the seeds have split and released oil. I'm gonna be draining the liquid off and freezing it once its cooled down. Hopefully it will be alright 🤔next batch I'm gonna rinse the seeds off to start with, pretty sure it was mud/soil?

I'm sure it will be fine,

Just remember you will be throwing it into a silty muddy lake it will soon be tainted with fish poo and dead leaves and stuff 

Edited by elmoputney

9 hours ago, jh92 said:

I'm gonna be draining the liquid off and freezing it once its cooled down.

Top tip! A few years ago my spod bucket got top heavy with the water after I'd used half of it so I tipped the excess into the lake. After 5 minutes I had several aggressive carp charging around the margins. I prefer using a spod to a spomb so use the liquid to make up my groundbait mix that plugs the spod.

15 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

Top tip! A few years ago my spod bucket got top heavy with the water after I'd used half of it so I tipped the excess into the lake. After 5 minutes I had several aggressive carp charging around the margins. I prefer using a spod to a spomb so use the liquid to make up my groundbait mix that plugs the spod.

I often 'save' that liquid for my Vitalin or Molassed Rabbit mix; putting the particles in first then baiting over the top with the groundbait.

15 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

20230906_210649.thumb.jpg.594dae40309310e78d24f3d4517455ff.jpg

Saved it and put it in the freezer 😆