The twig?

elmoputney

18 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Can't believe this hasn't got it's own thread yet? 

Thoughts?

£5 each for that reason alone I'm out. 😂

Trying to find a legitimate reason for them.

Doesn't appear to work with light leads, doesn't appear to be needed using a heavy lead.

Appears to be something else that could snag up in weed.

Oh My Cripes...

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Trying to find a legitimate reason for them.

Doesn't appear to work with light leads, doesn't appear to be needed using a heavy lead.

Appears to be something else that could snag up in weed.

Oh My Cripes...

I did have a little moment today where I thought what if it really is an edge and tried to work out where to get one on the way home lol, luckily actually going to a shop hasn't worked out for me, And I've now thought, I'm quite happy with my rigs these days. I am still using the same booms, I've caught all my fish on this year. I'm trying new leaders this weekend, if they work out ok I will have a nice and stealthy set up that doesn't cost the earth. Will be interesting to see if anyone starts catching loads on them though. 

But yes my main concern with it is that it could be an extra danger if you get snapped up or, have a crack off or something then it could be trailing a mini weed rake. And losing one at a fiver a pop would make me really sad. 

Is it a lot worse than things like adjustable zig floats, or lead clips that have tail rubbers pushed on too far. Maybe /maybe not but I guess if there are issues it will come down to human error and them not being used in a safe situation. Time will tell 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I did have a little moment today where I thought what if it really is an edge and tried to work out where to get one on the way home lol, luckily actually going to a shop hasn't worked out for me, And I've now thought, I'm quite happy with my rigs these days. I am still using the same booms, I've caught all my fish on this year. I'm trying new leaders this weekend, if they work out ok I will have a nice and stealthy set up that doesn't cost the earth. Will be interesting to see if anyone starts catching loads on them though. 

But yes my main concern with it is that it could be an extra danger if you get snapped up or, have a crack off or something then it could be trailing a mini weed rake. And losing one at a fiver a pop would make me really sad. 

Is it a lot worse than things like adjustable zig floats, or lead clips that have tail rubbers pushed on too far. Maybe /maybe not but I guess if there are issues it will come down to human error and them not being used in a safe situation. Time will tell 

I think that is a problem with a lot of tackle items, and media coverage. Dangers aren't pointed out in the article, ignored and/or not being used in that safe situation. 

I could go for the leadcore 'issue', and it's inherent dangers, on pendant or inline set-ups or excessive lengths, fish safety and 'dragging' fish away from weed or snags on a 50lb leader etc, but I think that finally it's getting through.

Tackle companies seem to release a lot of unnecessary, unsafe tackle, maybe without realising the idiot factor, maybe money, or maybe simply not understanding, and tackle companies need to make money to survive.

Problem is lead clips are too easily 'misused', or not used as their original purpose, which was to remove the lead at the end of the session.

By fixing it permanently to the swivel, pushing the tail rubber on all the way, we are potentially back to the days of permanent fixed leads.

What's wrong with a large bore John Roberts quick change bead attached to the hooklink swivel by a piece of large tubing?

Or the run ring with a quicklink holding a lead on able to run free?

I've queried rig safety, lead safety with the media, given my explanation and findings, and on occasion been accused of not fishing, just being a keyboard warrior. I'll let you decide on that one...

I recall Gary Bayes years ago writing an article querying lead clips, stating the dangers, and his answer was to tie the lead on with doubled over 4lb mono.  Bet that went down well considering his tie-ins.

On 18/08/2023 at 16:48, elmoputney said:

Mate used 1 at the weekend, not even a beep on that rod with the twig, the other rod had 5 runs n landed 3.

We did notice that twice it had opened on retrieve, and the arms MUST be tied down with PVA tape before casting.

BUT.....bit for me, £10 for 2....if was to use anything like that, what wrong with Boa rig ?

2 hours ago, jh92 said:

I saw that earlier all the evidence I needed to see that they are a bit of a death trap. 

This twig thing sounds like a very complicated solution to a simple problem. I have been using a technique I which I call The Active Bolt Lead" for over 10 years now. Basically, it is just a large steel washer bashed onto a bomb shaped lead. You wind down against the lead put a good curve in the rod and the washer bites into the bottom. The slightest vertical lift from a fish dislodges the washer and the spring in the rod tip strikes the bite. I made a rather pathetic video of how it worked which was  filmed in my swimming pool but it does show the general idea.

7 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I was just going to put this one up, it just gets worse doesn't it? 

Capesthorne Estate is one of the latest to ban it, and its on the Twyford and Dinton ban list.

With so much media attention, so many bans on so many waters around the country, I'm wondering if this is going to 'bring back' the thinking angler.***

That's not a dig at anyone on here, it looks like we've seen the risks, worked it out and 'computer says no'.

For years I've posted about items that I  personally think aren't safe, from the way of fishing, to tackle items, leadcore, to media articles. I've been given stick in Carpforum and banned for it, been derided in Advanced Carp Fishing, and even had the ultimate honour of being banned from Jim Shelleys FB page before he proceeded to have a right go at my views.

I think that this Twig is going to get tackle brands looking at risks properly, not just on release, but on design. That can only be a good thing!

The other thing that may happen is that Ali Hamidi might end up on the 'persona non grata' list. His aggressive marketing appears to be causing a major backlash to his brands.

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Capesthorne Estate is one of the latest to ban it, and its on the Twyford and Dinton ban list.

With so much media attention, so many bans on so many waters around the country, I'm wondering if this is going to 'bring back' the thinking angler.***

That's not a dig at anyone on here, it looks like we've seen the risks, worked it out and 'computer says no'.

For years I've posted about items that I  personally think aren't safe, from the way of fishing, to tackle items, leadcore, to media articles. I've been given stick in Carpforum and banned for it, been derided in Advanced Carp Fishing, and even had the ultimate honour of being banned from Jim Shelleys FB page before he proceeded to have a right go at my views.

I think that this Twig is going to get tackle brands looking at risks properly, not just on release, but on design. That can only be a good thing!

The other thing that may happen is that Ali Hamidi might end up on the 'persona non grata' list. His aggressive marketing appears to be causing a major backlash to his brands.

You might as well add an inline castable weed rake to your set up if you are going to be using the twig. Or using breakaway leads with cable ties on, how an angling company cannot see its dangerous is beyond me. To me it seems the desire to create the next big thing wass more important than the actual thing. 

I have tried to be either silent or encouraging on the twig as I think it is more suited to runs match carp angling or a gimmick rig nothing wrong with gimmick tackle as it is usually the day ticket pleasure angler that buys it.

Would like to see Ali with his own tackle brand he puts loads into angling for beginners.

2 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

I have tried to be either silent or encouraging on the twig as I think it is more suited to runs match carp angling or a gimmick rig nothing wrong with gimmick tackle as it is usually the day ticket pleasure angler that buys it.

Would like to see Ali with his own tackle brand he puts loads into angling for beginners.

Problem is the elasticated Method feeder made it from match angling into carp fishing. It took some good anglers pointing out the risks to get the elastic removed on carp versions.

I'm debating on Ali Hamidi, he's bugged me personally for years; the aggressive marketing, an article he wrote extrnding a trip and putting angling on a session and  himself first over a close family members birthday, the Korda and now OMC loudmouth, as well as his programmes with his small person syndrome.

'Aggressive marketing', I don't like adverts at the best of times, I've gotten cynical over many claims from household brands, be that Flash, Listerine, or fishing tackle brands.

One good thing does not make up for years of wrongs, and I won't go anywhere near the analogy used on the other site.

Forgiveness for a small error may be given, but there are some no way no how.

6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

When did you get banned from Carpforum , Nick.

my local water aldeby have banned it but even before then its not something i think i would have gone for, i have no problem dropping leads and make sure i have a decent supply in case i am lucky enough to have a good session. the twig is not for me and i have only been targetting carp for a few years and to begin with i picked up everything i saw advertised as i knew no different. at least now i can watch all the marketing and sit back thinking nope not for me. i think that shows me at least i am learning as i go, i wont buy it or use it but i imagine there is a market and water somewhere that will go for it, if anything it has sparked a rig/fish safety debate which is never a bad thing.

1 hour ago, framey said:

This could be the “thing” that the antis have been looking for for so long..

Nah the anti hunt lot don't mind angling same for ratting, they are nothing to concern angling all the propaganda they do have is laughable and miles from the truth. They are just annoying more than anything.

2 hours ago, barry211 said:

my local water aldeby have banned it but even before then its not something i think i would have gone for, i have no problem dropping leads and make sure i have a decent supply in case i am lucky enough to have a good session. the twig is not for me and i have only been targetting carp for a few years and to begin with i picked up everything i saw advertised as i knew no different. at least now i can watch all the marketing and sit back thinking nope not for me. i think that shows me at least i am learning as i go, i wont buy it or use it but i imagine there is a market and water somewhere that will go for it, if anything it has sparked a rig/fish safety debate which is never a bad thing.

I do have a problem dropping leads. It is a form of litter, albeit hidden underwater.

In most cases, there is no need, and a distance inline or pendant lead will 'slide' through most weed. I've found personally that the lead clip will catch weed as much as a pear or distance lead!

That's from personal experience and experiments. 

A helicopter lead catches less weed, but bite indication is reduced.