Best budget 12 footers

Hi guys 

I've decided to sell my 10ft rods in order to get some 12 footers for next year I want to be able to chuck some baits out for my next project, bigger water bigger rods, 

Now I think I want a 3.25lb tc as I think this should be about right to chuck a bag or 4oz lead pretty far, but will it still work as an all rounder as sometimes I may fish close in too 

I'm looking at 2nd hand but not seeing loads at the moment but if I was to go new 

My options are 

Sonik vaders 

Diawa G50 

Chub rs plus 

Now I wouldn't mind the soniks again but may wait for the new version to be readily available and I will have a look if there are any sales but has anyone got any thoughts or other rods I should look at I may have gone off Cork in favour of shrink wrap as it cleans better 😁

Also if anyone spots any good deals let me know please 😁

14 minutes ago, yonny said:

Not quite 3.25 but these are supposed to be incredible value rods:

https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rods-en/carp-rods/tackle-box-darent-valley-specimen-rod-12ft-3lb-50mm.html

I like the look of those they are bit nice and about in budget :)

11 minutes ago, framey said:

You haven’t mentioned a budget 

but if not the darent what about free spirit ctx

I would like to be within £200 for 3 😁 but would rather spend less if I can 

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Not quite 3.25 but these are supposed to be incredible value rods:

https://www.tacklebox.co.uk/rods-en/carp-rods/tackle-box-darent-valley-specimen-rod-12ft-3lb-50mm.html

Wonder what they mean by "cork style handles". Is it cork or something that looks like cork?

Ian.

On 16/12/2019 at 16:22, elmoputney said:

Hi guys 

I've decided to sell my 10ft rods in order to get some 12 footers for next year I want to be able to chuck some baits out for my next project, bigger water bigger rods, 

Now I think I want a 3.25lb tc as I think this should be about right to chuck a bag or 4oz lead pretty far, but will it still work as an all rounder as sometimes I may fish close in too 

I'm looking at 2nd hand but not seeing loads at the moment but if I was to go new 

My options are 

Sonik vaders 

Diawa G50 

Chub rs plus 

Now I wouldn't mind the soniks again but may wait for the new version to be readily available and I will have a look if there are any sales but has anyone got any thoughts or other rods I should look at I may have gone off Cork in favour of shrink wrap as it cleans better 😁

Also if anyone spots any good deals let me know please 😁

I have the diawa g50 but in the 3lb tc, it is a excellent rod for the money, good casting, good fish playing and they look really good. I wouldn't hesitate in buying the same rods again but for the casting weight that you want I would definitely go up on the tc.🙂👍

On 16/12/2019 at 18:02, welder said:

If you're going the second-hand route would you consider Chub Outkasts? My son has a set of three and they really are good rods.

Ian.

I've got quite a few mates who have chub rods, although they all went the 13ft 3.5lb Tc. I think when they hot theirs they got them for something like £50 or £60 per rod, they've since gone up I gather. Baring in mind these mates have top range rods they virtually only ever use their chubs. 2 own the free spirit hi.s ives,  1 has the Harrison trebuchet lites, 1 has the daiwa magnum tapers and the other has Harrison torix te's.  My next rods will definitely be a set of these, though I'll get the 12ft. 

4 hours ago, yonny said:

Now is the time buy Chub stuff as the operation is being moved abroad by the Pure Fishing Group (they own Chub, Greys , JRC , Penn etc). It's all on special/clearance offer as a lot of it is being discontinued/re-branded as JRC.

I've been waiting for that to happen, knew it was going to, it was which name went that caused any doubt.

A bit sad that the Shakespeare carp rod name went as they used to make some very good under-rated rods. A mate of mine, his first rods were SK's I think they were, back in the 1990's.

I always thought that the three/four rod names under one business was diluting the market, especially as Greys were the top brand, and the original JRC and Chub were more budget range, albeit very good brands.

You also have Chub and JRC likely to be no longer competing in the bedchair and bivvy market, where Chub produce some very good bivvies for a good price.

My big boy rods have arrived, they are almost new I think, barely look used, still got the wrappers on well chuffed with them, I just went out to cast one they feel perfect, longer handle than the 10ft which I like and they feel beefier but responsive, that was a good lucky find, and being 12ft they won't look too short on the pod 😂😂😁

1576857754748794006729436863172.jpg

Edited by elmoputney

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

My big boy rods have arrived, they are almost new I think, barely look used, still got the wrappers on well chuffed with them, I just went out to cast one they feel perfect, longer handle than the 10ft which I like and they feel beefier but responsive, that was a good lucky find, and being 12ft they won't look too short on the pod 😂😂😁

1576857754748794006729436863172.jpg

Got to love full cork handles! Years and years ago I had my Greys Prodigys converted to full cork. Still using them, still loving them.

Ian.

• 1 year later...

2 years later and one broken wychwood eye and I'm back on the lookout, 

Can't decide what to get next, or what tc at the minute I use 3lb, I want a little more backbone I think so I can chuck further if needed but I still want a rod that is an all-rounder, 

I can't get more wychwoods the same  as they have been discontinued now but I could use 2 of them as they are fine mainly, but then they won't match  😂 I can use up to 4 rods though so not sure what to do 

I've looked at the darant Valley 3.5lbtc 

Free spirit ctx 3.25 or 3. 5lb (more of an investment than the others) 

Shimano tx2 3.25 

Pro logic c2 element 

I've thought about a set of extricators with new okuma inc6000 for a close in stalking set up(would use most of the time at the minute as I seem to fish close mainly) then just upgrade to some beefier rods  for chucking further when I needed too, 

having had 10ft and 12ft I feel more natural with 12fts but I do like the idea of a stalking rod set up and a beefier set up, short rods would be useful for some of the margins too and for using with a baiting pole, so its a tough one and I don't know what to do, my 8ks are too big for smaller rods so would like the smaller reels I think if I went that way, aaaaaaaaaaagh help 

11 hours ago, elmoputney said:

2 years later and one broken wychwood eye and I'm back on the lookout, 

Can't decide what to get next, or what tc at the minute I use 3lb, I want a little more backbone I think so I can chuck further if needed but I still want a rod that is an all-rounder, 

I can't get more wychwoods the same  as they have been discontinued now but I could use 2 of them as they are fine mainly, but then they won't match  😂 I can use up to 4 rods though so not sure what to do 

I've looked at the darant Valley 3.5lbtc 

Free spirit ctx 3.25 or 3. 5lb (more of an investment than the others) 

Shimano tx2 3.25 

Pro logic c2 element 

I've thought about a set of extricators with new okuma inc6000 for a close in stalking set up(would use most of the time at the minute as I seem to fish close mainly) then just upgrade to some beefier rods  for chucking further when I needed too, 

having had 10ft and 12ft I feel more natural with 12fts but I do like the idea of a stalking rod set up and a beefier set up, short rods would be useful for some of the margins too and for using with a baiting pole, so its a tough one and I don't know what to do, my 8ks are too big for smaller rods so would like the smaller reels I think if I went that way, aaaaaaaaaaagh help 

The okuma inc6000 are down to £50