Casting to a showing fish

Teo

I won't often cast to one random showing fish , but if there is activity in an area or one fish showing in the same area over a period of time , even just 10 minutes then I'll put a bait out . You sometimes just go with your gut feeling .

I done a night last week and had one fish at 2am , by 1st light there where fish showing at the other end of the lake so I moved and in the last 3 hrs had another 3 fish .

1 hour ago, Teo said:

Hi,

I have been reading a lot about casting to showing fish, but i am worried castng to them will spook them out of the area, are there any ways of getting around this/ advice on doing it corectly..

thanks Teo><

What do you consider a showing fish?

A full leap, rolling carp or even massive patches of bubbles sheeting up are all forms of shows. In fact you can add the carp sitting with their backs out of the water.

Sometimes leaping, rolling fish shows or bubble patches  are carp feeding heavily on a spot. Other times leaping or rolling is a carp just moving through an area.

I've cast directly (with a 3oz lead) at swirls, convinced it was fish flattening the surface, and had takes. Other times those swirls are fish flicking their tale and moving away.

If I arrive at a water and see any show, I try to analyse it. On some waters leaping fish will just swim straight past so I will try to get ahead of them. On others it is indication of fish stopping to feed.

My best winter catch came to what I thought was a show. The water was chocolate colour, with meltwater pouring in the inflow so strongly that near the inflow you could not hold bottom with a 3oz lead. I walked round the lake, saw a flattening of the surface in the ripples, so set up on it. 

I've heard other anglers say cast past it, reel back onto the spot and let it drop, but by the time I've done that I've lost it. I tend to watch the spot as I'm casting, so naturally aim for it; whereas casting past I would be watching the lead and end tackle, then try to reel back to a spot I've not been looking at.

There is only one way to guarantee your rig is where the fish are and that is to put a rig were you see the carp.

The other option is put a rig where you don't see fish which makes no sense whatsoever imo.

I wont cast a rod until I've seen fish, that should be a general rule for any serious carp angler imo. You can waste a hell of a lot of hours (or days and even weeks on tricky waters) waiting for the carp to come to you.

Fish where the fish are, golden rule. I will not hesitate to cast at a showing fish.

What about baiting on showing fish ? 

The other week I arrived in a swim on another lake to find a LOT of carp just mooching about I was aware they may move off at some point during the night so i didn't want to spook them, I opted to throw in about a handful or two of boilies singly to keep the disturbance Down then top up little and often but it didn't happen and I wondered should I have pinged out a lot or just gone with the spod mix I had ready to keep them in the area or just fished singles ? 

52 minutes ago, yonny said:

There is only one way to guarantee your rig is where the fish are and that is to put a rig were you see the carp.

The other option is put a rig where you don't see fish which makes no sense whatsoever imo.

I wont cast a rod until I've seen fish, that should be a general rule for any serious carp angler imo. You can waste a hell of a lot of hours (or days and even weeks on tricky waters) waiting for the carp to come to you.

Fish where the fish are, golden rule. I will not hesitate to cast at a showing fish.

Spot on.

Find them, fish for them and catch them, Simple. 

In France the other week I was fishing my chosen swim (3) and after 3 days had had nothing. A few bleeps, but that was it.

The swim directly opposite (12) was free, and I had noticed showing fish in there for some time, so I upped sticks and moved in.

Rewarded with a 40lb Mirror and a 35lb Common, and lost two others.

Edited by smufter

Always put a rod on a showing fish. As yonny said you have to be on them to catch them!! 

I’d normally put 4/5 boilies on, singly on the area go gently spook the fish off before using the lightest lead possible to reach it. Minimum disturbance. 

Ive had fish within minutes after casting at showing fish. Other times I’ve been made to wait 3/4hrs. The chances are the fish was there for a reason, so it’ll likely come back. If it’s not gone within an hour then I put out a handful or 2 of boilies on top with the throwing stick. 

10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

What about baiting on showing fish ? 

At the end of the day you have to get bait out there somehow mate. Normally I'll start with singles, if I don't get a take then I'll pepper a few baits out with the stick/catty, if there's still no take and the fish are still there I'll spod. Their reaction will be different from water to water - I've had them disappear not to return and I've had takes from under the spod. Even when they do spook they'll normally be back come first light.

On 21 July 2019 at 23:30, Dannygooner said:

The problem I’ll often then come across is, got the bait on the spot, it’s been a short period, shall I put some bait in. 🤔I tend to try pepper a few in or stick a stringer on and glug and leave as is. But if I’m not get liners at least the mind starts ticking and the urge to pepper some bait in occurs. This is where I probably lose takes. Impatience 

23 hours ago, yonny said:

At the end of the day you have to get bait out there somehow mate. Normally I'll start with singles, if I don't get a take then I'll pepper a few baits out with the stick/catty, if there's still no take and the fish are still there I'll spod. Their reaction will be different from water to water - I've had them disappear not to return and I've had takes from under the spod. Even when they do spook they'll normally be back come first light.

On 22 July 2019 at 06:56, greekskii said:

Always put a rod on a showing fish. As yonny said you have to be on them to catch them!! 

I’d normally put 4/5 boilies on, singly on the area go gently spook the fish off before using the lightest lead possible to reach it. Minimum disturbance. 

Ive had fish within minutes after casting at showing fish. Other times I’ve been made to wait 3/4hrs. The chances are the fish was there for a reason, so it’ll likely come back. If it’s not gone within an hour then I put out a handful or 2 of boilies on top with the throwing stick. 

It wasn't cast at showing fish, but one of my favourite fish from Brackens was a 2 tone heavily scaled linear.

The lake rules are no free bait can be put in by catapult or throwing stick, the only way to put free bait in was with PVA.

I put in a load of my 'BIG' stringers, there is a picture somewhere of one, but I think it was 30'ish casts of 30 bait stringers. Within 10 minutes I had the linear at 28lb. That is just after plenty of disturbance, those stringers with a 3oz lead made plenty of noise. To be honest, I was baiting up for the night, not expecting a take in the middle of the day.

On the same lake, it was a small lake of 1 1/2-2 acres, if fish showed or rolled, it wasn't worth casting at them, they were very aware and would disappear. You could however land on them and get some pretty quick takes within minutes of casting.