Flavour of the Week - Rigs

I think the screamers occur when a fish panics i.e. when they hook themselves against a lead and bolt. With the chod they don't really do that, rather they take the rig and it slowly penetrates as it moves up or down the leader. Now I think about it I very rarely, if ever, get a screamer using chods (not that I use them a lot).

Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me what the run is like, it's landing the fish that counts.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I think the screamers occur when a fish panics i.e. when they hook themselves against a lead and bolt. With the chod they don't really do that, rather they take the rig and it slowly penetrates as it moves up or down the leader. Now I think about it I very rarely, if ever, get a screamer using chods (not that I use them a lot).

Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me what the run is like, it's landing the fish that counts.

I've used Chods (unwillingly I might add) a bit this year, and they seem to have a finite life on the lake I'm fishing.

I know the great (sorry for the sarcasm😖😆) JS has used them to catch a few big carp.

For a couple of trips chods were the only way I could catch fish, either with Plum or Pineapple pop-ups and a few freebies around. Then the lake switched on with Dave outcatching me on the Method, which I tried a couple of times, on one rod, but 'my' fish yesterday all came on wafters over a few loose freebies each cast on a multi-rig or kebab rig, with different shaped and sized dumbell baits. The chod rig has been ignored totally for a couple of trips.

The runs I was getting on Chods were proper runs, but I did lose a couple of fish to hookpulls. 

I went back yesterday to a pendant lead, a 'shocka', set to pull free and become a 'running' lead on the take. Not a single lost fish, but I did get a couple of slack line drop backs as the indicator pulled free of the line. No large fish over 8lb, but I tend to use Bromeswell to experiment.

See for me the chod rig is only useful on spots that you literally could not present on with any other method. I can't see why anyone would cast one out otherwise, the compromise in mechanics are clear as day to see, the only benefit to it is it allows you to get bites from spots that couldn't otherwise be fished effectively.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

See for me the chod rig is only useful on spots that you literally could not present on with any other method. I can't see why anyone would cast one out otherwise, the compromise in mechanics are clear as day to see, the only benefit to it is it allows you to get bites from spots that couldn't otherwise be fished effectively.

Bromeswell is quite silty, a sand and clay ledge around the outside, as I know from having jumped in there in a hurry. You can't fish the middle with a 'standard' set up, although I haven't yet fished a paternoster link there yet. 

The crays can be a pain on the sand, but I think have just shelled and gone into hiding, and the carp were happier to feed on the harder areas.

I'm now positive (after something that @nigewoodcock said) that larger crays feeding heavily and getting defensive, rearing up, can put the carp off some areas. If the crays are feeding heavily, I have caught few carp off that spot, yet for some reason pop-ups on chods were catching them, yet ordinary pendant leads and pop-up rigs weren't. I have a theory that the carp being caught were those swimming or patrolling the margins yesterday, just alongside a lily bed and next to a clay patch.

1 minute ago, chillfactor said:

I only think about fishing a chod when I want a bait sat on top of thick weed

Spot on, that's the one situation where the rig comes into its own.

2 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

thinking about it has the chod gone out of fashion a bit .... certainly don't here people fishing it as much,  as say 4-5 years ago ? 

I think people are slowly realising its not the chuck-anywhere rig that they once thought it was. There are better rigs for every single situation other than the thick weed scenario mentioned above.

1 minute ago, yonny said:

Spot on, that's the one situation where the rig comes into its own.

I've not found anything better .... when testing rigs in weedy margins . As long as your bait is nicely balanced it would consistently sit just right on top of the weed . I used to also have  2-3  metres of tiger line which improved the set up again , than just on the main line mono . 

I use the chod when , 

1, I know it's thick weed and the bait needs to be presented above/on it. 

2, when I find fish feeding/ showing and I have no idea what the bottom is like. 

And I'd say 90% of the takes I get with chods are absolute 1 noters.  Infact I don't recall too many that weren't 1 noters. Also I can honestly say I very rarely have hook pulls. I use size 4 hooks with a 12-14 mm pop up and they are nailed in the bottom lip. In my opinion it's a very good rig, when tied and used  safely and in the right circumstances.  

37 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I use the chod when ,  

2, when I find fish feeding/ showing and I have no idea what the bottom is like. 

good shout Em .... I just went off slack lines full stop really , nothing to do with the chod itself.  But if I wanted a rig to sit on weed then i wouldn't hesitate to use a chod . 

Another advantage of not using a chod and having a lead clip set up, is that you can switch rigs much quicker. Especially easy to switch from say a pop up rig to a zig! With the very short sessions that I get in, sometimes just an hour after work or on a Saturday morning before the kids get up, that instant adaptability can be the difference between snatching a bite or not! 

11 hours ago, bluelabel said:

Semi... inasmuch as I tend to fish it over decaying pads in winter... the carp move over them as they die back 

I have had good results fishing popped up 9 inches when fishing dead pads , my theory is you'll never quite know whether you lead is down in between a tuba or not so you could be fishing anything from an inch to 9 inches above , 

Works for me .

9 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Well after my exploratory pre baiting session tonight I think I might be in need of chods, pulled out about a tonne of Canadian pond weed but it still kept coming :)

My last syndicate was like that. Hard work trying to make a spot. You'll need arms like popeye!! Unless you can get in and clear it?? 

I used a distance lead with a tail rubber to cast around and find a spot. 

Or zigs?? You'll need to make sure you drop the lead though. 

26 minutes ago, commonly said:

My last syndicate was like that. Hard work trying to make a spot. You'll need arms like popeye!! Unless you can get in and clear it?? 

I used a distance lead with a tail rubber to cast around and find a spot. 

Or zigs?? You'll need to make sure you drop the lead though. 

I've thinned it out a bit and left some bait on it so hopefully the fish/birds will thin it out some more for me but happy enough I'll be able to present a bait on it 

14 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

hopefully the fish/birds will thin it out some more for me

The biggest risk is other anglers spotting it and capitalising on your hard work. Carp can make it very obvious what they're up to when feeding on a spot surrounded by weed.

Hopefully you'll pull it off mate, best of luck to you.

39 minutes ago, yonny said:

The biggest risk is other anglers spotting it and capitalising on your hard work. Carp can make it very obvious what they're up to when feeding on a spot surrounded by t you make it to mmweed.

Hopefully you'll pull it off mate, best of luck to you.

Hope so too it's an area I've been baiting for a while now so they should be used to finding it there but last time I kept getting a lot of liners so I have decided on 2 new spots a bit closer in, the only other people fishing it are tench anglers at present but we shall see if it's unavailable there are other spots to try it's all about discovery for me at the moment so fishing a different swim isn't the end of the world I might learn something important from it 

1 minute ago, commonly said:

How's fatherhood treating you mate? 

Hard work but very rewarding buddy.

I'm due to go fishing tomoz, just a day session, for the first time since the wee man joined us. I came off my bike 2 weeks ago however and have a nasty chest injury. Plan is to head over later today to bait up. The way I see it if I'm able to spod, I'm able to fish, Time will tell.

1 hour ago, commonly said:

Great attitude to your approach. Alot of angler's are put off fishing in Canadian weed. Only the brave!! 

I think nowadays there is so much info available there isn't a lot that should really be an issue, I've not really fished anywhere this weedy before but it isn't putting me off too much intact I am enjoying the challenge 

7 hours ago, yonny said:

Hard work but very rewarding buddy.

I'm due to go fishing tomoz, just a day session, for the first time since the wee man joined us. I came off my bike 2 weeks ago however and have a nasty chest injury. Plan is to head over later today to bait up. The way I see it if I'm able to spod, I'm able to fish, Time will tell.

Before you know it he will be 9 & thinking he's a parkour expert like my boy , the things i catch him doing around my yard frightens the life out of me 🙈

Tight lines mate 😎