Bayswater Essex

The most beneficial lesson was watching how the chap went about things. He knows the lake and the fish well and where I have been very cautious of creating minimal disturbance. He happily chucked a load of bait in and recast until he was where he wanted to be. But when in his spot the only time his rods came in was because of a fish.

Basically he was confident in what he was doing.

It was also nice that he confirmed a lot of what I already believed about the layout of the swims.

His major advantage / edge is time. He works near by and lives locally so can literally set up fish over night, head to work and then just come back after.

In hindsight I could do a similar thing by having my first few sessions a pure swim sussing, as you say get the waders out, use a marker rod. If I'd spent two of my days doing this I would be catching now!

Neal , that place being a bit , er , busy so to speak , how often do you get in the same swim ?

Newmarket - I've specifically focused on less popular swims to hopefully get in there every time. It has worked so far but I think now that Mr top rod is targeting that area it may get more popular [emoji30] but it is as far from the gate as can be and notorious for weed so it'll never be the most popular area

if I do end up some where I'm not happy I may take the long view and use it to suss the swim and maybe just tiddler bash in the hope of a tench or perch gracing my net.

Geez I too think leading around scares carp but you should still go with the intention of catching them. It only takes one carp to come swimming along 5 mins after you've finished messing about to end up with a fish in the net. I've caught loads of carp very shortly after frothing the water to a foam. As long as the rig is presented there's ALWAYS a chance mate.

Newmarket - Yeah I don't like it either, he has put the effort in and reaped the rewards, seems like a proper nice chap so deserves the recognition (top rod is what I've said no one else) no not waded the lake, just the shallows. Which is only 2 swims.

Edited by nealjt

Yonny - I suppose I mean to try and take a longer view. Yes I'd always have an aim to catch. By that if I'm not happy in the swim I could be proactive and make my confidence better for the next time. Rather than trying to chance a fish with a guessed cast for fear of spooking the swim

Yonny - I suppose I mean to try and take a longer view. Yes I'd always have an aim to catch. By that if I'm not happy in the swim I could be proactive and make my confidence better for the next time. Rather than trying to chance a fish with a guessed cast for fear of spooking the swim

Well you know what I would do :) :) :wink:

Hi Neal

Going back to Mr Top Rod was he fishing " spots within spots " ( I think this has come up in a post before - looking for a spot within a swim that isn't fished ) that he found from his wading around ? .

Does that make sense ? .

:wink:

Yes makes total sense and no he was fishing an area in an area [emoji12]

And now this is my problem with fishing, I know soooo much but I am terrible at putting it into action. What you say about spots and areas makes total sense. But I end up thinking about it so much I do my head in and just cast in and hope for the best. I've 2 lakes I'll be focusing on over the next year or so, bayeswater and a lake local to me. Both totally different, bayeswater is a very good quality lake but it is still a young, man-made day ticket venue, lots of fish but without loads of personality. I like it because it is secure, the rules and availability suit me well. It feels like a club. I'm honing my ability which I enjoy and I'm almost certain when I catch it'll be near on or above a 20 which I'm looking forward too, I may not use scales but I want to catch bigger fish! The other lake is pretty much untouched proper snaggy, full of bream hardly any carp and probably average size is mid teens but they are old, dark and very tricky to catch.

Bayeswater probably does have spots in spots, but it is more about finding the right area getting them to feed and presenting a bait they will readily take. (Sounds easy but is above me so far!)

The other lake is definitely spots in spots! and those spots are usually in 6 foot of snags! The carp can easily be found but I think only readily feed on quite specific "spots"

My problem on both lakes is being confident in what to do. I've filled my head with so much info I think I've lost myself. Was saying to spr on Sunday how I used to fish a club lake and would just cast to the middle with a shop brought rig and what ever bait the mags told me to use, never once thinking about location or what I was fishing over or my baiting tactics and pretty much every session, summer or winter I would catch! If I went there now I bet I'd blank!!!

I always enjoy fishing, it is necessary for my mental well being. I thrive on being near the water with the chance of a mystery being discovered. My expeditions to bayeswater feel like an opportunity to start again and learn to fish well

Edited by nealjt

Hi Neal 

What you need is Dumbledores' Pensieve  ! .

Failing that what Yonny has already said about knowing your swim in intimate detail , but probably above all what Carpmachine has said ,  K.I.S.S. ( accept he said it much more politely ! :wink:  ) .

Can I be cheeky and ask for a P.M. regarding  the whereabouts of your local lake please ? :P  .   

• 2 weeks later...