really warm sleeping bag?

I don't know weather its because i cant handle the cold or weather its because i haven't got a good quality sleeping bag. ive got 2 sleeping bags one i bought second hand some years ago all i know is that its made by trakker. The second is a jrc 5 season. neither of them keep me warm when it gets cold, i have to have 2 hot water bottles. why are they not keeping me warm if they are supposed to be 5 season? could anyone recommend me a decent bag that will keep me really warm in winter?? thanks

Im quite surprised that the jrc or the tracker bags dont keep you warm especially if they are 5 season but bags will lose there thermal proprieties over time so if they are both quite old then that could be why.

For a new sleeping bag, you have two options.

First is to buy a bag made by a tackle company, probably the most comfortable since they will normally have straps on them to attach them to the bedchair so you dont have to struggle to get out when you have a bite. I personally use a the Total fishing gear 5 season bag and has done me well in very cold temps as i use it for camping as well. They also do a beefed up version which is even warmer.

the second option is to buy a sleeping bag from a dedicated camping company which will just be a normal sleeping bag but you will find they have been designed with very cold temps in mind.

Plus you could look into getting a bedchair cover which will help keep you warm in the colder months.

other things you can do to keep warm is have a clean set of clothes to change into when your getting ready to get in the bag. These will be dry so will keep you much warmer, since sweat will stay on your clothes and get cold which will make you cold.

Put your unneeded tackle bags under your bedchair and this will help keep the cold air from the floor coming onto your bed.

and take a blanket, This will give you a extra layer of warmth.

i use the snugpak range of sleeping bags as do a few of my mates. for winter i use the antartica sleeping bag which is rated down to minus 50 :shock: . you will not be cold in that one :wink: . one of my mates has got whats called the special forces combo which is two bags combined to make a winter bag. take them apart and you have a spring/autumn bag and a summer bag. he never gets cold either. but also enough of my mates also use the mainstream tackle companies bags with no complaints. youve got plenty of choice. one thing that i was told was that to always fluff your bag up before getting in it. this helps it trap air between the fibres in your bag which stops the bag getting cold. and for someone like me who keeps the sleeping bag inside my bedchair its made a massive difference

Im quite surprised that the jrc or the tracker bags dont keep you warm especially if they are 5 season but bags will lose there thermal proprieties over time so if they are both quite old then that could be why.

First is to buy a bag made by a tackle company, probably the most comfortable since they will normally have straps on them to attach them to the bedchair so you dont have to struggle to get out when you have a bite. I personally use a the Total fishing gear 5 season bag and has done me well in very cold temps as i use it for camping as well. They also do a beefed up version which is even warmer.

the second option is to buy a sleeping bag from a dedicated camping company which will just be a normal sleeping bag but you will find they have been designed with very cold temps in mind.

Plus you could look into getting a bedchair cover which will help keep you warm in the colder months.

other things you can do to keep warm is have a clean set of clothes to change into when your getting ready to get in the bag. These will be dry so will keep you much warmer, since sweat will stay on your clothes and get cold which will make you cold.

Put your unneeded tackle bags under your bedchair and this will help keep the cold air from the floor coming onto your bed.

the trakker i bought about 6 years ago and it was already very worn back then. but the jrc i bought brand new and it says 5 season but still isnt warm enough in cold temps. i just dont understand it!!!! :?

im really worried to buy another in case its not good enough and then i would have wasted money.

You might be like me, and just have to accept that you will never be warm no matter what. Sleeping bags retain your body heat, with warmer ones being more efficient, if you are cold blooded like me, you will be cold even if you are wrapped up in the most efficient sleeping bag in the middle of summer. Buy a decent hat, put a newspaper under your sleeping bag, and prepare for anther miserable night.

I've got the Angling Intelligence 3 in 1 Sleep System and find it to be warm whatever the weather.

If you feel the cold, try wearing a base layer to bed as well.

And a woolly hat / balaclava will help a lot as the head is where most of your body heat will escape from when you are in a sleeping bag (They had these in Aldi last week. They were £4.99 each if I remember correctly).

You can also add a pair of Heat Holders socks to complete the ensemble.

the trakker i bought about 6 years ago and it was already very worn back then. but the jrc i bought brand new and it says 5 season but still isnt warm enough in cold temps. i just dont understand it!!!! :?

im really worried to buy another in case its not good enough and then i would have wasted money.

You may have bad blood circulation like me so even when your all warped up in a bag you will still feel the cold.

invest in a bedchair cover as that will give you a extra layer of warmth and also make up a flask of hot tea/coffee/soup and when your feeling really cold have a cup of it, will help alot.

You may have bad blood circulation like me so even when your all warped up in a bag you will still feel the cold.

invest in a bedchair cover as that will give you a extra layer of warmth and also make up a flask of hot tea/coffee/soup and when your feeling really cold have a cup of it, will help alot.

what soooooooo many people dont realise is that a lot of the time you get cold because of the thinness of the bed and the cold air underneath you, a decent padded bed or even a piece of carpet under your bed will usually help big time

what soooooooo many people dont realise is that a lot of the time you get cold because of the thinness of the bed and the cold air underneath you, a decent padded bed or even a piece of carpet under your bed will usually help big time

Oh i know the cold floor can contribute :wink: which is why i put in my first post to put the tackle bags you dont need under the bed cause they act as a barrier between the cold floor and your bed :wink:

also people can wear too much clothing in their sleeping bags. the bags rely on your body heat to warm them up but if you get in the bag with plenty of layers on then your body is warming the layers of clothing and not the bag. all i wear is a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a tshirtno matter how cold it is. also wear a wooly hat in bed, makes a massive differnce as well

also people can wear too much clothing in their sleeping bags. the bags rely on your body heat to warm them up but if you get in the bag with plenty of layers on then your body is warming the layers of clothing and not the bag. all i wear is a pair of tracksuit bottoms and a tshirtno matter how cold it is. also wear a wooly hat in bed, makes a massive differnce as well
good point mate

I agree with yours and Gaz's comment about too much clothing in the bag.

At night in the winter one of the best things to wear is a pair of jogging bottoms; they are light enough to wear comfortably and if it does get chilly out should you need to get up, then you can pull a decent pair of trousers over them.

A t-shirt for the top half is also easy enough to pull warm clothing and jackets over, although playing a fish trying to pull a smock style hoodie or jacket on is a bit awkward, so I would suggest putting clothing on before getting out the bivvy if possible.

As for sleeping bag, a mate of mine swears by his Trakker Big Snooze and cover, although I went the camping shop option and got myself a minus 12 bag by Coleman.

I don't get this going to bed with not alot on , you have sat there all day warming up what you have been wearing and then you take it all off and get into a cold sleeping bag . Then in the morning you get to put on a load of cold clothes and you have to warm them up .

Sleeping bags are designed to work against your skin, in reality you would be best off in the nip. One of the quickest ways to loose heat is through sweat evaporating, and getting in a sleeping bag with a load of clothes on will make you sweat, in turn making you colder than if you had nothig on at all.

Getting changed into fresh thremals, jogging bottoms and a light mid layer fleece at night is the way for me.

I don't get this going to bed with not alot on , you have sat there all day warming up what you have been wearing and then you take it all off and get into a cold sleeping bag . Then in the morning you get to put on a load of cold clothes and you have to warm them up .

Sleeping bags are designed to work against your skin, in reality you would be best off in the nip. One of the quickest ways to loose heat is through sweat evaporating, and getting in a sleeping bag with a load of clothes on will make you sweat, in turn making you colder than if you had nothig on at all.

Getting changed into fresh thremals, jogging bottoms and a light mid layer fleece at night is the way for me.

So why not sleep in a pair of boxers ? if what you say is right why bother with thermals ?

• 7 years later...