drayton reservoir

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but thought it better to resurrect this one that start another.....

Has anyone been recently?

Does anyone know If Drayton has changed the ticket prices for the winter?

Have they made the day ticket cheaper as the day's are shorter, or is it still £8 per rod?

£8 per rod? i think i went it was a £12 for 2 rods which was like 2 months ago i guess. maybe cheaper now, since the days are shorter, but many peopole still doing 24 hours on there i think.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but thought it better to resurrect this one that start another.....

Have they made the day ticket cheaper as the day's are shorter, or is it still £8 per rod?

£8 per rod? i think i went it was a £12 for 2 rods which was like 2 months ago i guess. maybe cheaper now, since the days are shorter, but many peopole still doing 24 hours on there i think.

Yeah, sorry about that, I meant £8 for one rod lol.

I was enquiring because I was going to treat a mate who is popping up to a day session, but we'd leave when the sun went. Can't afford £16 plus his rod licence & bait for a few hours, not with the EVIL holiday approaching :/

Damn I hate this time of year, not much fishing, dodgy roads and pointless holidays, not to mention I become a year older!!

ROLL ON THE SPRING!!! It can't come quick enough!

Yeah, i think it is 8 quid for 1 rod, which isnt avoidable becuase the baliffs are nearly always there :P it is expensive, but if he wants a few runs will be worth the money, if he dosnt mind dodgy mouths etc...

Christmas can be a good time of year if your careful and, if youve won the lottery :P

I was enquiring because I was going to treat a mate who is popping up to a day session, but we'd leave when the sun went. Can't afford £16 plus his rod licence & bait for a few hours, not with the EVIL holiday approaching :/

Damn I hate this time of year, not much fishing, dodgy roads and pointless holidays, not to mention I become a year older!!

Yeah, i think it is 8 quid for 1 rod, which isnt avoidable becuase the baliffs are nearly always there :P it is expensive, but if he wants a few runs will be worth the money, if he dosnt mind dodgy mouths etc...

Christmas can be a good time of year if your careful and, if youve won the lottery :P

Bah humbug!! I detest Christmas! Hate it with a passion!! the only good thing about Christmas is when it's over!!!

I drove past it today and there is not alot of water in there.

The water level has been dropping rapidly over the last few weeks and it looks more like a beach than a reservoir.

Not good to hear, I know over the summer they lowered the level to make it possible for more night anglers to put up their bivvys, it would seem the level hasn't recovered as they had anticipated.

IMO It has been going downhill quite rapidly recently, but as it is the closest place to my house and is accessible by public transport, I'm not left with much option...

If I'm honest, I doubt I'll be fishing again until I can go further afield and join a syndicate.

The water level has been dropping rapidly over the last few weeks and it looks more like a beach than a reservoir.

Not good to hear, I know over the summer they lowered the level to make it possible for more night anglers to put up their bivvys, it would seem the level hasn't recovered as they had anticipated.

IMO It has been going downhill quite rapidly recently, but as it is the closest place to my house and is accessible by public transport, I'm not left with much option...

If I'm honest, I doubt I'll be fishing again until I can go further afield and join a syndicate.

They reason the water level is low is because that reservoir is used to feed the grand (union?) canal. So when the canal is low they use the reservoir to fill it back up, but I'm unsure how the ressy fills back up, the water level goes down every year and then will get back up eventually.

They reason the water level is low is because that reservoir is used to feed the grand (union?) canal. So when the canal is low they use the reservoir to fill it back up, but I'm unsure how the ressy fills back up, the water level goes down every year and then will get back up eventually.

Its a swings and roundabouts kind of thing, when the grand union needs water, Drayton and the country park (when the water level is high enough to reach the overflow which it hasn't reached in a few years) fill it up, but the grand union is such a vast expanse of water, lowering Drayton's water level by a few feet will only raise the canal by a few inches, so they can lower the water level when they see fit, which they did in the summer to encourage more night anglers, which in return made British Waterways more money :)

the reservoir then relies on rain water and road run off and snow melt to fill it back up over the winter.

I doubt that the lowering of the levels in Drayton over the summer had any bearing on night fishing anglers although they obviously benefit!

The reason that reservoirs like Drayton, Tring, etc exist is to provide top-ups for the canal system. Fishing, boating, etc are just by-products.

Contrary to popular belief, canals normally follow the contours of the land and actually have a flow direction. When someone opens a lock gate to decend to a lower level, a quantity of water is lost to the level above. This water loss has to be topped up from somewhere and that is where the reservoirs come in. It is normal for such reservoirs to be at their lowest level at this time of year as all the heavy boat traffic has been in the preceeding 6 months or so.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I doubt that the lowering of the levels in Drayton over the summer had any bearing on night fishing anglers although they obviously benefit!

The reason that reservoirs like Drayton, Tring, etc exist is to provide top-ups for the canal system. Fishing, boating, etc are just by-products.

Contrary to popular belief, canals normally follow the contours of the land and actually have a flow direction. When someone opens a lock gate to decend to a lower level, a quantity of water is lost to the level above. This water loss has to be topped up from somewhere and that is where the reservoirs come in. It is normal for such reservoirs to be at their lowest level at this time of year as all the heavy boat traffic has been in the preceeding 6 months or so.

the canals were purposely built for boats...just not pleasure boats.the flow direction is only on a fall , on a summit (locks fall both ends) the direction of flow will depend on what end the water is taken.if 1 boat descends 10 locks it still only uses 1 lock full of water(basically using the same water to fill the lock all the time), if the boats go up hill they take a fresh lock full from the pound above every time. most staircases and flights of locks have pumps to fill the top end back up.....and over the winter the canal traffic is at its lowest,BW close parts for annual works and the fact that the lots of boaters are fair weather boaters means the canal use less water then in the summer when some parts of the canal are more like the m25 car park. iv waited up to 2 hours queuing to get through Foxton locks once the hire boat season has started.

Not quite, the winning pair had 2400lb a new 48hr record. The total for all of the teams was over 9000lb , what ever way you look at it quite amazing

:oops: Didn't realise the total weight was 9000lb. Thought that was excessive even for drayton. But still that is a lot of fish caught in a short period of time, and impressive angling.

Thanks for the correction. Better tell some people I got my facts wrong :)

• 3 months later...