Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by cobleyn

  1. I always carry a hyperdermic with me. Oil is good in summer, but typically this time of year I carry a little pot of krill extract.
  2. Tree lined pools with no on else around. Crystal clear water with Lilly and weedbeds.
  3. That looks nice mate. Like the idea that fishing is in. I'd sooner just pay that bit more and then just fish when I fancied it rather than having someone coming and bugging you over a fiver. I might give anglers paradise another blast. I've not been for years. I've always enjoyed whiteacres but I've never had good weather down there. Newquay Is just weird...the rest of the country can have 25 degree sunshine and Newquay will be under thick rain clouds.
  4. The perch on the fly is interesting. Just started doing a bit of fly fishing and reckon that perch on the fly might be one of my first targets.
  5. Thanks for the info guys. It looked ok on paper for a week away with the family...reckon I'll give it a miss. I hate penny pinching...it's things like that fiver (which lets face it is no big deal) really boil my water...miserable git charging you a fiver to chuck a rod out for an hour. The joys of forums though. ...just need to find somewhere else now.
  6. Time to update mine: Mirror Carp - 46lb12 Common Carp -38lb10 Siamese Carp- 120lb Julians carp 35lb Crusian carp 2lb2oz Others Chub5lb3 Tench 8lb2 Roach 1lb6 Barbel 11lb2 Catfish 155lb Redtail catfish 81lb Arapiama 310lb Mekong catfish 190lb Sturgeon 150lb Bream 9lb8 I've been trying for a couple of years to crack the 40lb common barrier...but have failed. Moved off of my syndi now...so a failed mission
  7. Just looking around for a week away with the wife and kids and this place seems to come up a fair bit. Just wondered if anyone had been recently or could recomend it?
  8. I've got a few mates who've had Basia and have not been overelly happy with them. Alright whilst they were new- or if you keep them super clean...bits of dirt and grit apparently wreck them. Think I'd be going Shimmy Magnesium.
  9. cobleyn

    Pva bags

    I tend to use 2-3inch hook links with solid bags. Usually with supple braid.
  10. Just Carpology for me too. I bought advanced carp fishing one day last year when I had a long train ride and and it was the only mag they had. Jesus- it was painful...I think I must have read a few pages and the rest was just dirge.
  11. Now to be fair, the guys in the pegs across from me where new on the lake and it was quite busy – so its not like there was much option....and truth be known the feature I was fishing to was over halfway across. So technically I was fishing their water. As an angler, you know when you’re poaching and it was time for a re-think. Clearly I couldn’t be chucking across the pond to the front side of the plateau and claiming to be ‘in my water’. Even if I was so brass necked as to do it- would I really want to be spodding for 2 hours a day just to share a swim with loads of other rods. A brief chat with the guides suggested that quite a bit had changed since my last visit. The mekongs had started to push the carp around consequently there were new feeding grounds to try. A little time with the marker rod gave me some new areas to explore and I decided that two particular areas could be worth concentrating on. Both were almost identical and felt very smooth and sandy until they hit a gravelly lip. My plan was to get some bait down and vary my casts both onto the back of the lip and in the sand and over the front side of the lip in the rocky/ gravelly side. Both new areas were much closer in which allowed me to change things up a bit. Instead of using the spomb I changed to a huge old bucket of a spod which allowed me to get bait out a lot quicker ,albeit that within 5 minutes the braid from the spod rod had sliced into my finger. Luckily I’d packed a stall!. I also changed from long distance rigs to using solar’s PVA swivels. This meant that I could tie up loads of long PVA bags and thrown them into a bag for use at a later date. The next couple of days I didn’t do much fishing. I got out of the resort with the family and did some sightseeing. The first night produced a cracking carp of 90lbs which was really nice and dark and proved to be the biggest carp of the trip. I managed another fish that night a redtail of around 30lb. Redtails are stunning, with very vibrant covers and have crab like shell across the top of their heads and shoulders. They run to around 100lbs at Stuarts place, but in the wild can grow over 300lbs. It became apparent from catch reports from around the lake that the carp weren't really playing ball. Odd ones were getting caught, but the mekong were incredibly active. Head and shouldering all over the lake and making the presence felt. I came to the decision that I was going to pursue the mekongs (which were after all one of my targets for the trip) and if carp came along then all well and good. I started to soak a load of pellets in the Pineapple glug and apply more bait as the mekong seemed to come in hard on big baits. I also started to tighten up my baiting. Instead of putting a bed down of around the marker float of maybe 12 feet wide I tried to get the spod within a tight 3 foot area. I figured that I was fishing in 14 feet of water so the natural spread in that depth would still give a reasonable area for multiple fish to come in and feed- but not spread them out too much (and hopefully give me quicker bites). It was obvious pretty quickly that this was the way forwards as I had a screaming run whilst I still had the spod in my hand. I bent into a very angry Mekong that left a huge vortex as it exited my swim. After a quick walk through my neighbours swim (and much apologising as I walked past him. I exited the water about 100 yards from where the fight had started. After a ¾ an hour scrap the fish started to circle my inside margin. A stocky Mekong of around 100lb head and shouldered and started to pull away from me. Now I don’t mind telling you that I wasn’t in the mood to be bullied around and I clamped teh cluth right down to slow the fish. It turned the fish and started to bring it towards me. It dived for the near margin under my feet and “CRACK” the line gave out. Now I take no pleasure in leaving a hook in a fishes mouth; but the fishery runs a strict barbless policy, so I’m sure it ejected the hook pretty quickly. It has to be said though- it did give me a feel for how much pressure was possible on the line. Whilst I really was heaving hard on it- its some-way from the pressure you can give fish on 100lb briad (eg ebro cats)...so there is some finesse in it. However if you’d seen me heaving at the fish in 100 degree heat you wouldn’t have thought there wasn't much.
  12. I used the bloodworm micro pellets through the back end of last year and did well on them.
  13. Me and Danny sitting in a tree. K-I-S....lol you know the rest. Two mistakes you have made young Jedi....a korda kutta you have bought. Secondly The forum you have told.
  14. I need a few hours in the tackle shed before I do anything. Kits in a mess after the social and my overseas trip. Went running with the dog last night and put about a kg into the canal...as I went down it. Another week of pre baiting and it's getting a bit of attention.
  15. Hey wait...that was a joke right?
  16. Credit where credit is due- the tackle out there needs to be on a different level and without wanting to spoil the rest of the weeks fishing (before I've written it up)- I'm really impressed that not one of your hooks failed. If you want some of the photo's just PM your E-mail address and I can mail them to you.
  17. I can get hold of heated jackets. ...and heated pants? Are they called hot pants Neil ?? Think they are called "poopy Pants"...available from woodcock supplies.
  18. I can get hold of heated jackets. ...and heated pants?
  19. Have you had the compen for white finger will? Some decent payouts coming to ex miners for that
  20. I like mine. ...I use it with the doors zipped up. But... I have it on for ten minutes at night whilst I get some dry clothes on for bed....and ten mins in a morning before I get out of my sack. ....only in dec/ jan. I think that qualifys as sensible use. I think sitting in your bivvy, in your t shirt with the front zipped up watching DVDs would qualify as 'a bit daft'.
  21. Oh yeah...it's worth pointing out at this stage that Mr. Garderners hooks stood up to 2 hours of thorough abuse completely faultlessly. I checked the hook that had played the big Mekong and to be honest I would have been happy to throw it out again. As I said to Richard, if anyone reckons that they have straightened them out on a carp they are full of something stinky out the back end of a cow. I can't recommend them highly enough.
  22. Even at that range I knew it was a big fish. Imagine a small bottle nose dolphin head and shouldering (is it still porpoising for a dolphin?) on the end of your line and your line lifting across the surface of the water to pull tight to the hook. It’s tail was as big as an office desk- it just lifted up and then slapped on the surface. The clutch began to slowly tick, and then just melted as it ripped line from the spool. To put it into some perspective, the 6lb T/C rod was bent through to the but- the clutch was pretty much as tight as I dare put it to stop the 39lb line snapping...and the fish was just stripping line as it headed down the lake. I vaulted into the margin and started to follow it...there was no way I was stopping it and if it ran to the left it would just cut me off. Long story short the fish ran to the far end of the lake over 300 yards away. I apologised profusely to every angler who’s swim I was walking through...they all just laughed and gave me a look of ‘better you than me mate’ as I struggled to keep my head above water as the fish just continued to blaze away from me. I’d like to say that the fight was measured and I had some semblance of control; but it was a one way street. After an hour- and I do mean an hour! It started to get dark. The resort had a power cut and the fish was showing no signs of coming in. I’d been giving it the full beans for a full hour...leant into it and the clutch locked up. I was dehydrated, mozzies were starting to batter me, my bicpes and forearms were properly jacked up and the fish just ran wherever it wanted. Half an hour later, I was fighting the fish in full darkness. The power was still off at the resort and I was waist deep in the lake, covered in bites with just my head torch pointing into the lake. I knew it was a big fish...I wasn’t sure how big. I needed to get out of the lake as the fish was starting to circle the near margin and I feared the rod would snap if it got right next to me. So here’s the problem- I may have been getting way ahead of myself- but IGFA rules state that no-one can touch the rod or line if you are to claim a world record. It was a very long shot...but I couldn’t take the risk. Fortunately a small crowd had gathered and a cluster of hands came down into the water and unceremoniously dragged my substantial backside onto the bank. Tired and looking like a pin cushion I fought on. ...and on... After 2 hours, we finally pulled it over the net. Some way short of the world record but a huge new PB Mekong catfish for me at around 180lbs. I was absolutely made up. Two hours of a gruelling battle- I couldn’t be happier...and then the guide reminded me I needed to pick it up for a photo. Balls! Photo’s were done. The fish was bathed in antiseptic around the hook hold and it was released back into the depths. I lost a huge Mekong years ago, which would have taken the WR (A story for another day) and I’ve joked with Gollock (Gillhams longest serving guide) about “Big Mekongs this trip” for years. He’s stood with me in some god awful weather, monsoons and high winds in the day and night (he never moans, bitches or complains- just has a big smile on his face)- when there was no-one else on the lake or at the resort. I had to be honest with him – it made me very happy that it was him that netted the fish for me- It just made it that bit more special that he was there to share it with me. That was it for the night. I went and got showered and sunk a few large bottles of Singha to celebrate. I treated myself to a lie in the following morning and came into my swim at around 09:00. What hit was a bit of a shock; on the far bank two anglers had moved into the adjacent swim and were basically casting onto the hump that I'd been baiting for a couple of days. Not happy.
  23. It's not that it wouldn't work with a bottom bait. I used it a lot in the past with critically balanced/ snowman rigs....its just that's it's widely regarded as a good pop up rig.
  • Create New...