Slip D Rig

elmoputney

With my spinner rig becoming pretty much completed and I don't think there is anything more that can really be done with it. I'm a bit bored of it now,😬

Time for a new challenge. I'm going to only use slip d rigs from now and see where that takes me, something Kev said got me thinking about all the clutter on rigs so I thought it might be nice to lose some of it, and go back to basics. 

I'm going to start with a shrink tube kicker and probably a wide gape as I felt that looked pretty good when I tied some up the other day. I like the fact I can get some seperation and also have a nice low pop up. 

I tied some up using a coated braid but, one thing I do like about my. Spinner rigs is the use of stiff boom material ironically called Boom. So I will try and incorporate that at some point. 

Once I've played some more I will add some pics and stuff 

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

With my spinner rig becoming pretty much completed and I don't think there is anything more that can really be done with it. I'm a bit bored of it now,😬

Time for a new challenge. I'm going to only use slip d rigs from now and see where that takes me, something Kev said got me thinking about all the clutter on rigs so I thought it might be nice to lose some of it, and go back to basics. 

I'm going to start with a shrink tube kicker and probably a wide gape as I felt that looked pretty good when I tied some up the other day. I like the fact I can get some seperation and also have a nice low pop up. 

I tied some up using a coated braid but, one thing I do like about my. Spinner rigs is the use of stiff boom material ironically called Boom. So I will try and incorporate that at some point. 

Once I've played some more I will add some pics and stuff 

You have stripped the coating for the hook loop?

This is my other rig - another multi (slip D style), bottom baits and wafters - can do with a stiff link with a supple end loop or just coated braid stripped only for the hook loop.

Will put a pic up later 👍

57 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

You have stripped the coating for the hook loop?

This is my other rig - another multi (slip D style), bottom baits and wafters - can do with a stiff link with a supple end loop or just coated braid stripped only for the hook loop.

Will put a pic up later 👍

Yep coating back to below the shrink tube kicker so it can turn a bit more freely 

1 hour ago, Golden Paws said:

I've been using this rig for the last few years and pretty happy with it. I have refined it a bit and use it Combi style with a bit of flourocarbon and a hybrid loop at the other end. I deliberately make the fluoro loop quite big so it really kicks the hook section away.

Thanks

Do you use the silicone like M Holly? 

If so does it stop the hook pulling like a traditional multi rig? 

15 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

If so does it stop the hook pulling like a traditional multi rig? 

I put a length of rig tubing on the hook on normal multi-rigs. That stops the loop pulling tight. Don't use silicone tubing as that can split, I think mine is a thin rig tube.

4 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Looks tidy mate 👍

Yeah I think they will work nicely tbh but only time will tell. 

16 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

Yes. It naturally bends a bit anyway to create the bent hook arrangement. If you use shrink tube, you wouldn't be able to change the hook at will.

Thanks I don't think I've got any silicone that size at the moment, will get some and have a try. I don't mind having to tie a whole rig everytime if it means it's perfect. Shrink tube heating can be a chore though, would probably mean just doing some in advance at times. 

19 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Yeah I think they will work nicely tbh but only time will tell. 

Thanks I don't think I've got any silicone that size at the moment, will get some and have a try. I don't mind having to tie a whole rig everytime if it means it's perfect. Shrink tube heating can be a chore though, would probably mean just doing some in advance at times. 

Just use a kicker mate

Surely you can't judge a rig by one lost fish???? I've had my best ever season, regularly catching 6 to 8 fish in 8 hour morning or afternoon sessions on a days only water. Although the water is prolific, I've been getting amongst the better fish and managed a brace of 20's a few weeks ago, not bad seeing as I had only caught 2 previously in the last 10 years.

The slip D and the Ronnie aren't a mile apart but I prefer the more subtle way you can tweak it to make the last inch flexible and make a more balanced bait. To me, the Ronnie seems a bit too blatant.

That said, confidence is key and  if you're sat behind rods expecting to lose fish, it can be hard work. 

51 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

Surely you can't judge a rig by one lost fish???? I've had my best ever season, regularly catching 6 to 8 fish in 8 hour morning or afternoon sessions on a days only water. Although the water is prolific, I've been getting amongst the better fish and managed a brace of 20's a few weeks ago, not bad seeing as I had only caught 2 previously in the last 10 years.

The slip D and the Ronnie aren't a mile apart but I prefer the more subtle way you can tweak it to make the last inch flexible and make a more balanced bait. To me, the Ronnie seems a bit too blatant.

That said, confidence is key and  if you're sat behind rods expecting to lose fish, it can be hard work. 

I think it is more not the time to experiment, that could have been the biggun, or the linear I really want to catch, now my owny concern is whether I put enough bait out earlier, 

I can hear a fairly decent acoustic band tonight, quite country they played the gambler and they have a girl singer who sounds really good. Would prefer to hear my bite alarm screaming though 

My  Multi-rig with a RH Hemp Naturalz, and the lead on a run ring.

It's produced a lot of fish, either with a 12mm Monster Crab pop-up, a trimmed down yellow pop-up or the Naturalz.

It's the rig I fish over particles (Hemp and pigeon conditioner) and pellets.

IMG_20240922_101624.jpg

15 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

My  Multi-rig with a RH Hemp Naturalz, and the lead on a run ring.

It's produced a lot of fish, either with a 12mm Monster Crab pop-up, a trimmed down yellow pop-up or the Naturalz.

It's the rig I fish over particles (Hemp and pigeon conditioner) and pellets.

IMG_20240922_101624.jpg

Is this what you put all into a PVA Bag ?

I seen a rig by Darrell peck called the multi combi rig which I thought I'd try myself.

My choice of materials were:

Korda boom for the boom section

Esp anchor braid for the soft section

Korda size 6 curve shank

Korda medium kicker

Nash bait screw.

I use an albright knot to tie the two materials together.

I rarely fish popups but when bites were hard to get on the bottom baits, I've fired this rig out and it's produced a few fish.

The hook holds have been nailed in the bottom lip every time 👍 

It's my goto for presenting pop ups at the moment.

I've tried the Ronnie spinner rig but I struggle to get a bite on it, it's probably down to me setting it up wrong but I can't seem to get it to work 🤷‍♂️🤣

4 minutes ago, yonny said:

Not me mate, I rate the spinner.

Mate..... I though it was strange when you ditched the spinner you'd perfected. Important lesson to be learned there. If it works, don't fix it👌

I use the Nash Claw Spinner for Bottom, Pop Ups and Wafters....

Then now trying Zigs more....

That's about it really rigs wise.