The twig?

elmoputney

On 18/08/2023 at 15:59, salokcinnodrog said:

Doesn't appear to work with light leads, doesn't appear to be needed using a heavy lead.

That hits the nail on the head IMHO. It is just another bolt lead technique. Traditionally the weight of the lead is relied upon to set the hook when the carp bolts.

Before I started using the method I described earlier in this thread, I did a lot of experimenting using a rubber band and piece of bamboo skewer. The stick holding the rubber band was dislodged when the bait was moved and floated harmlessly to the surface. The rubber band contracted causing a sudden pulling on the bait. It proved to be far too unreliable in normal use but a learned a lot.

What I believe happens is, the movement is not enough to actually set the hook. I believe (but cannot prove) that the sudden movement frightens the fish which then bolts setting the hook against the weight of the lead.

Rather than cast it out backwards or hang heavy weights on to prove how strong and dangerous a twig device is. could I make a constructive suggestion? Why not replace the two plastic arms with sacrificial bamboo sticks which float harmfully away on a take?

Personally, I will stick to my tried and tested system.

On 23/08/2023 at 21:48, salokcinnodrog said:

I do have a problem dropping leads. It is a form of litter, albeit hidden underwater.

In most cases, there is no need, and a distance inline or pendant lead will 'slide' through most weed. I've found personally that the lead clip will catch weed as much as a pear or distance lead!

That's from personal experience and experiments. 

A helicopter lead catches less weed, but bite indication is reduced.

sorry i should have been a bit clearer, i meant i dont glue or wedge the sleeve on but if snagged the lead should drop. i dont have it set up to drop on every bite just if snagged and yes inline leads are good and i mostly use bags anyway.

agree with the littering bit but i have a little magnet that i sometimes pop out as it picks up the swivel on most leads and i get a fair few from just in front of the bank as it seems most anglers lose them there, often come home with a few more than i took with me :)

1 hour ago, barry211 said:

i get a fair few from just in front of the bank as it seems most anglers lose them there, often come home with a few more than i took with

Sounds like how I get my marker floats; I was up at 7 that I found, at Nazeing, Melton, my current, and Alton, all with a short piece of braid attached where the line had snapped just above the knot. 

No-one will admit that braid straight through is a problem, yet it does seem to be. They weren't all attached to the same type or thickness of braid!

I go to an Amnesia shockleader to reduce that shock on hitting the clip.

1 hour ago, barry211 said:

sorry i should have been a bit clearer, i meant i dont glue or wedge the sleeve on but if snagged the lead should drop. i dont have it set up to drop on every bite just if snagged and yes inline leads are good and i mostly use bags anyway.

No worries Mate, I just didn't want you just dumping leads without genuine reason, just because 'Korda Krew' or another tackle manufacturer said you must dump the lead every take.

Sorry if my comment seemed harsh, only I do tend to shoot straight to the point.

On 23/08/2023 at 14:34, salokcinnodrog said:

Problem is the elasticated Method feeder made it from match angling into carp fishing. It took some good anglers pointing out the risks to get the elastic removed on carp versions.

I'm debating on Ali Hamidi, he's bugged me personally for years; the aggressive marketing, an article he wrote extrnding a trip and putting angling on a session and  himself first over a close family members birthday, the Korda and now OMC loudmouth, as well as his programmes with his small person syndrome.

'Aggressive marketing', I don't like adverts at the best of times, I've gotten cynical over many claims from household brands, be that Flash, Listerine, or fishing tackle brands.

One good thing does not make up for years of wrongs, and I won't go anywhere near the analogy used on the other site.

Forgiveness for a small error may be given, but there are some no way no how.

I'm the same regarding hamidi. Something about him that I've never liked and you've summed it up in one of your words "loudmouth". He thinks he's Something else and as for this contraption he's selling he should be ashamed of himself. 

Not surprised to hear you say dinton has banned it, Simon who runs it doesn't allow any gimmicks on his waters and good to hear that many more waters have done the same. 

So it don't look like Twigged It won't be making it into carp jargon oh well

I'm surprised he went with a elastic rig, I like those boxes for baited rods omc do. Sure Ali will be back with something else but I don't think a elastic rig will ever get a pass from lake owners, Those guys have some serious problems on the horizon environmentalists are getting super frothy for all sorts of access rights and fencing removal Labour running DEFFRA is always a bad idea.

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

They had a load of em on the till at angling direct. £9.99 for two, I wonder if anyone is actually buying them? 

A mate used 1 other week, was just curious about em, our club lake isn't hard, but it's not easy either, but 1 his rods had a "Twig" on and never even had a beep, it ejected on cast, the arms have to be PVA taped every time.

No offence to anyone with em or wanting to try em, but every video now, I'm sick of seeing em.

Edited by Highy

10 minutes ago, kevtaylor said:

BB's Naturals Range bivvy pegs - how much you knocking them out for, I might invest - looks carpy!

Forgot me pegs  …. and err the sleeping bag  😏 but the cavalry is on its way 🤞

If you would like to invest, or anyone else for that matter in the company you can get a one off never to repeated offer of £1,000 for 50% of the company. 

49 minutes ago, B B said:

Forgot me pegs  …. and err the sleeping bag  😏 but the cavalry is on its way 🤞

If you would like to invest, or anyone else for that matter in the company you can get a one off never to repeated offer of £1,000 for 50% of the company. 

I'm in - we'll make stuff noone needs - sorry Ali you've got new competition! 👍🤣

On 23/08/2023 at 14:57, bobcross said:

When did you get banned from Carpforum , Nick.

About 4 weeks ago I guess. Posted in the morning, banned by the evening.

Strange that the people who were insulting me didn't get banned and are still posting twaddle...

Wonder if they know I can still get on...

17 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

About 4 weeks ago I guess. Posted in the morning, banned by the evening.

Strange that the people who were insulting me didn't get banned and are still posting twaddle...

Wonder if they know I can still get on...

I think its probably banned from posting.

most only receive a short ban 

but let’s be honest,

all it is on there now is bitching wining and moaning about something or other.

8 hours ago, framey said:

I think its probably banned from posting.

most only receive a short ban 

but let’s be honest,

all it is on there now is bitching wining and moaning about something or other.

Banned ban, not even supposed to be able to access the site at all..

I noticed the bitching and moaning. 

I'm laughing at this thread, but for the right reasons

We've managed to pass opinion on The Twig, and still within topic pass comment and switch to safe leader to mainline tying.

I might have to see if I can split the mainline to leader posts away.

I also had a look around local waters to me, and I know Ladywood lakes in Nacton have banned The Twig. I have a feeling HWDAC might have also, but I'm not sure.

so today i managed to get out and my excellent casting skills were on fine form as i managed to tangle everything up in the tree on the bank opposite as the bailiff was checking the neighbouring swim, a nice shout of leave my trees alone rang out and off i went to the other side to go climbing.

interesting thing was as we were both sorting all of the tangle out and getting the rig out of the tree we were joking about how much harder it would have been if i had set up with a 'twig', normally i can just jiggle things about and get my line and rig back (happens alot) but if i did have the blooming thing attached i reckon i would have had to cut my losses and run (faster than bailiff obviously) but at least with a standard rig set up it took very little effort and dropped back in with only a few leaves attached.

at least its banned where i fish but when most of us were worried about fish safety underwater i could potentially have left 100+ yards of line flying around for the local wildlife to garrote themselves on, i catch trees a few times and always manage to recover my stuff but reckon it would have been a different story, there will always be hapless amatuers like myself on a bank so look to the trees and see how many 'twigs' you can spot 🤣