My Happy Place

Carpbell3

Don't think I'll be renewing my club ticket (Nights) next year, biggest I've seen out is 21lb, biggest I've had is 17lb.....they reckon the number of fish in there is around 1k.

Personally myself and a mate think there are only are around 250 fish, only good thing to go at is there are only a handful of mirrors in there and nice 1's at that too, biggest being 19lb, I've Personally not had 1 yet.

I think I might concentrate on my Park Lake, not been to it yet this year. 

20 hours ago, Highy said:

Don't think I'll be renewing my club ticket (Nights) next year, biggest I've seen out is 21lb, biggest I've had is 17lb.....they reckon the number of fish in there is around 1k.

Personally myself and a mate think there are only are around 250 fish, only good thing to go at is there are only a handful of mirrors in there and nice 1's at that too, biggest being 19lb, I've Personally not had 1 yet.

I think I might concentrate on my Park Lake, not been to it yet this year. 

I'm kind of doing the opposite , Highy , in that I'm renewing my club ticket where there may be some 20lbers .

It's like Nick says " it's my happy place " . Carp Anglers are in the minority at my club water ( it's predominately Match Anglers )  , so I feel I'm not competing with other Carp Anglers while trying to outwit the Carp ; and I enjoy the wildlife .

I can always pay for a day ticket at my local runs water where I stand a much better chance of a 20 , or maybe if I believe the hype , a 30 .

Sometimes I think I enjoy the planning / anticipation of going fishing more than actually sitting lakeside waiting for a bite ? .

😃 

2 hours ago, crusian said:

I'm kind of doing the opposite , Highy , in that I'm renewing my club ticket where there may be some 20lbers .

It's like Nick says " it's my happy place " . Carp Anglers are in the minority at my club water ( it's predominately Match Anglers )  , so I feel I'm not competing with other Carp Anglers while trying to outwit the Carp ; and I enjoy the wildlife .

I can always pay for a day ticket at my local runs water where I stand a much better chance of a 20 , or maybe if I believe the hype , a 30 .

Sometimes I think I enjoy the planning / anticipation of going fishing more than actually sitting lakeside waiting for a bite ? .

😃

This is what matters ☝️ 

Stuff the high pressure, over subscribed fishing of today, tolerating many annoyances just to chase a number - madness looking back!

The atmosphere and wildlife is my new target!

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

This is what matters ☝️ 

Stuff the high pressure, over subscribed fishing of today, tolerating many annoyances just to chase a number - madness looking back!

I'm having similar thoughts tbh quite fancy some fishing in the wilderness, there is loads I would still like to catch where I am but the busyness isn't doing it for me presently, I'm hoping to go this weekend but if it annoys me I might start considering my options. 

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I'm having similar thoughts tbh quite fancy some fishing in the wilderness, there is loads I would still like to catch where I am but the busyness isn't doing it for me presently, I'm hoping to go this weekend but if it annoys me I might start considering my options. 

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

This is what matters ☝️ 

3 hours ago, crusian said:

😃

I keep thinking of the local Park Lakes near me, there would be many a Balnks had, but the rewards would be great.

3 Sisters (Boating) Park Lake

Amberswood Park Lake

Scotsman's Flash

Pennigton Flash

All are tricky waters but have some gooood, Pristine looking fish (weight irrelevant).

3 hours ago, crusian said:

😃

Fishing (FULL STOP) is my happy place, regardless of catching, I know the Club Lake pretty well now, the last 4 years I've been on, I've only seen (to me) 3x 20's come out, there are some nice Mirrors in, only about 10 maximum, biggest be 19lb (whuch was out at weekend).....but aiming for that would be like 1 in 300 fish (maximums).

57 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I've been enjoying quiet banks so far this spring, but May sees an influx of new keen anglers so it will change for a short while.  As soon as I can I'm gonna have a crack at the little river on site so that's another great option to get away from the crowds.  My first from a river would be epic regardless of size 👍

1 hour ago, Highy said:

I keep thinking of the local Park Lakes near me, there would be many a Balnks had, but the rewards would be great.

Amberswood Park Lake

Scotsman's Flash

Pennigton Flash

All are tricky waters but have some gooood, Pristine looking fish (weight irrelevant).

There's a good podcast I will try and remember the name of for you to listen too, it was all about the northern scene and the waters oop that way was really interesting. 

2 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

There's a good podcast I will try and remember the name of for you to listen too, it was all about the northern scene and the waters oop that way was really interesting. 

I remember watching 1 on YouTube, about a dad n lad adventure.

Also heard some monster things about Sale Water Park.

1 hour ago, Highy said:

I remember watching 1 on YouTube, about a dad n lad adventure.

Also heard some monster things about Sale Water Park.

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

2 hours ago, Highy said:

Amberswood Park Lake

Scotsman's Flash

Pennigton Flash

This is the 1....200 Acre.

4 hours ago, Highy said:

I can remember driving past Oxlease lake which was a syndicate water back in the day to get to Hunts corner lake and thinking wow that’s an inland sea 😳 Oxlease is 26 acres, then fishing Horseshoe Lake which I think is about 60 acres

But 200 Acres Corr 😳…just looked up the dock I fish and that’s 30 Acres which I thought was about 20 Acres 

22 hours ago, Highy said:

22 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Yes I saw that one, was a good video, would certainly be a challenge 

18 hours ago, B B said:

I can remember driving past Oxlease lake which was a syndicate water back in the day to get to Hunts corner lake and thinking wow that’s an inland sea 😳 Oxlease is 26 acres, then fishing Horseshoe Lake which I think is about 60 acres

But 200 Acres Corr 😳…just looked up the dock I fish and that’s 30 Acres which I thought was about 20 Acres 

I'm seriously contemplating splitting some of this thread off as it appears to have become a happy topic in its own right.

200 acres?

Small water then🫢😅

Brackens was the last water I fished that was small, at 2 acres, most of the other lakes have been 20acres plus, with Ardleigh at 120acres for the main reservoir, Alton 400, Nazeing Lagoons at 20, 40 and 60, and this lake at 45.

Both big and small have different challenges, from finding the fish, to rigs on the smaller waters, to baiting, from weaning off natural food, or 60lb of carp per acre. Then consider that that 60lb of carp could be 2 fish, or potentially 1!

'My happy place', this water really is, it is not just the fishing, it's the whole atmosphere, the surroundings, there is an indefinable quality of things there that draw you back.

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm seriously contemplating splitting some of this thread off as it appears to have become a happy topic in its own right.

200 acres?

Small water then🫢😅

Brackets was the last water I fished that was small, at 2 acres, most of the other lakes have been 20acres plus, with Ardleigh at 120acres for the main reservoir, Alton 400, Nazeing Lagoons at 20, 40 and 60, and this lake at 45.

Both big and small have different challenges, from finding the fish, to rigs on the smaller waters, to baiting, from weaning off natural food, or 60lb of carp per acre. Then consider that that 60lb of carp could be 2 fish, or potentially 1!

'My happy place', this water really is, it is not just the fishing, it's the whole atmosphere, the surroundings, there is an indefinable quality of things there that draw you back.

I believe your water has  Capability Brown designed surroundings , Nick ? .

My lake is only a few acres , but from your post it seems that you prefer a little space to stretch out  😁 ? .

😃

1 hour ago, crusian said:

I believe your water has  Capability Brown designed surroundings , Nick ? .

My lake is only a few acres , but from your post it seems that you prefer a little space to stretch out  😁 ? .

😃

It's not just the space Mate, it's the atmosphere.

Inside a Capability Ground Park Estate, a bit of history from the Second World War, a PoW camp and hospital, scenery and some good fish.

I can't remember a small water with that sort of atmosphere and I just end up chasing big fish without enjoying the chase, almost like there is pressure only to catch.

On 27/04/2023 at 12:31, elmoputney said:

where I am but the busyness isn't doing it for me presently, I'm hoping to go this weekend but if it annoys me I might start considering my options

If you are talking about Earith, I enjoyed it, but somehow found my limit was 2 years on there before I needed a change. I don't mind catching, who doesn't, but a 20lb fish every trip...

FB_IMG_1682687752840.jpg

This is an old picture of the camp taken from what is now the last remaining structure, the water tower.

3 hours ago, Carpbell3 said:

My happy place lately has been helping a few mates out on their rounds forgot how much of a laugh we make it worked out nice my fitness levels are a lot more acceptable than last year.

Hecking up at this time and ready to go...OK.

So you're helping your mates , and making yourself happy at the same time , Carpbell - a win , win situation ! .

😃