Jump to content

Roughing it


Recommended Posts

Bonjour,

I've decided that I want to start carp fishing again. Since I stopped carp fishing some years ago I lived in North Wales and partook in a little bit of hiking/scrambling in Snowdonia. During this time I got quite interested with the outdoor community and their rampant desire to shed as much weight as possible - like rabid dogs chomping at a sirloin steak through a chicken wire fence. As such, I've been thinking about whether I can incorporate some of their ethos into fishing. I've decided to join a metaphorical carp fishing weight watchers club and literally decided to cut down on the weight of my kit. I want to be able to walk considerable distances with all my gear without making noises like a 20 year old transit van.

Given that I will be night fishing, the greatest weight saving I can think of is my shelter and sleeping arrangement. Whilst perusing through several online tackle shops, I spotted the holy grail for the former - namely the Wychwood Tactical Compact Super Mega Carpy Camo Tarp or something like that. Although I would never pay that much for a tarp, I think the idea is good. Concerning the latter, I am thinking about buying a inflatable mattress and using it alongside a cheap foam groundsheet that I stole from the local scout group when I was about 13. In theory this sounds great as I've never minded laying on the floor and I regularly used to just sleep in the grass when I fished previously. Although, that was usually after a few too many to drink.

My question is whether anybody has ever either used a tarp and/or "roughed it" on the ground whilst carp fishing for any significant period of time either in one session or over multiple session? What were the pros and cons of it? and if you decided to change back to the "traditional" method of bivvy/bedchair, what made you do this?

 

Merci

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jone5y said:

Bonjour,

I've decided that I want to start carp fishing again. Since I stopped carp fishing some years ago I lived in North Wales and partook in a little bit of hiking/scrambling in Snowdonia. During this time I got quite interested with the outdoor community and their rampant desire to shed as much weight as possible - like rabid dogs chomping at a sirloin steak through a chicken wire fence. As such, I've been thinking about whether I can incorporate some of their ethos into fishing. I've decided to join a metaphorical carp fishing weight watchers club and literally decided to cut down on the weight of my kit. I want to be able to walk considerable distances with all my gear without making noises like a 20 year old transit van.

Given that I will be night fishing, the greatest weight saving I can think of is my shelter and sleeping arrangement. Whilst perusing through several online tackle shops, I spotted the holy grail for the former - namely the Wychwood Tactical Compact Super Mega Carpy Camo Tarp or something like that. Although I would never pay that much for a tarp, I think the idea is good. Concerning the latter, I am thinking about buying a inflatable mattress and using it alongside a cheap foam groundsheet that I stole from the local scout group when I was about 13. In theory this sounds great as I've never minded laying on the floor and I regularly used to just sleep in the grass when I fished previously. Although, that was usually after a few too many to drink.

My question is whether anybody has ever either used a tarp and/or "roughed it" on the ground whilst carp fishing for any significant period of time either in one session or over multiple session? What were the pros and cons of it? and if you decided to change back to the "traditional" method of bivvy/bedchair, what made you do this?

 

Merci

 

I would much rather be comfortable, but at times I wanted to be silent, in and out without advertising my presence. I would arrive after work at close on midnight, and then fish until the morning and pack up before the dog walkers and local numpties arrived.

 

A full bivvy set-up and all the gear would have been far too noisy and left far too many signs of my fishing. In fact, my rods were even wrapped together around my landing net handle, no rod holdall, as that just added extra carry and most of the weight in the rod holdall is bivvy. :wink:

 

bv2Fc4KczU1.jpg.876a9eb36fbc6493a252e195a1806626.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if people actually saw what I took then they would laugh that I'm even trying to shed weight. Like you did, I always band my rods, net, and a couple of storm poles together rather than use a holdall. My bivvy only weighs 3.5 kg for Christ's sake and can be strapped under the lid of my rucksack. However, I think considering things such as using a tarp or sleeping on the floor actually begs the question as to whether these luxury items such as a bedchair and bivvy are needed. Plenty of people in the outdoor community spend much longer periods of time without them in much more extreme conditions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

depends on what you think you can get away with done a fair few overnighters or until the early hours just sitting on the bank, it was about 10 years back i relised i needed a bivvy and and something off the floor, i have just lightened up my kit a bit still looking for a bivvy hoping to get one of those tempest style brollies or another two rib, i don't think i could do three and four day sessions with just angling gear.

Not sure on some of these new bivvys some are a bit much for fair weather angling if i can get either the trakker or nash brolly in the extra hight version i will be well happy with that shows how anyone can be a sucker for trends and must haves, i know the two rib is a much more practical bivvy it only has two points of contact with the floor much better on uneven ground than the brolly design. i really want something with lots of mesh so i can at least try to keep the mozzies out, that and no messing setting up, that's why the tempest or titan with mesh front.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No chance I am going bareback in the height of summer with all them Mozzies about, I would come home looking like I had fallen in stinging nettles again 😂 and definately need a bed too, my bed only weighs 7.5kg and is worth the weight in my opinion 

I've been spoilt by being able to park at the swim for the last couple of years, and my toot level has grown massively because of it, I keep thinking about  getting a new barrow and fining all my kit down to fish off that but it hasn't happened yet, I should as there is a lot of mileage in being more mobile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

No chance I am going bareback in the height of summer with all them Mozzies about, I would come home looking like I had fallen in stinging nettles again 😂 and definately need a bed too, my bed only weighs 7.5kg and is worth the weight in my opinion 

I've been spoilt by being able to park at the swim for the last couple of years, and my toot level has grown massively because of it, I keep thinking about  getting a new barrow and fining all my kit down to fish off that but it hasn't happened yet, I should as there is a lot of mileage in being more mobile 

Strange you mention that, Ultimate Bedchair cover comes with a mosquito screen.

 

After this week, 2 barrow loads hurt!

Like you I had gotten used to unloading the car in the swim then putting it in car park.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My fav hobo would shame us all the guy sleeps out in alaska on the back of a dog sled or in a home built tarp shelter, then when the mood takes he is off doing the same in the south cali deserts sleeps on the floor in desserts with just a backpack for a pillow rattlesnakes are breakfast, well chuffed the guy sent me one of his shark teeth you have to fit in to get one of those shipped, charles manson used to wear one. 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, elmoputney said:

No chance I am going bareback in the height of summer with all them Mozzies about, I would come home looking like I had fallen in stinging nettles again 😂 and definately need a bed too, my bed only weighs 7.5kg and is worth the weight in my opinion 

I've been spoilt by being able to park at the swim for the last couple of years, and my toot level has grown massively because of it, I keep thinking about  getting a new barrow and fining all my kit down to fish off that but it hasn't happened yet, I should as there is a lot of mileage in being more mobile 

one of the lakes i'm on has drive to pegs i want to get on elsons a bit this year so that will be a trot it is a safe enough place to do two barrow loads but always best avoided if you can on any lake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, yonny said:

As much as I hate to say it I am at the age when I have to agree with this.

I used to sleep out under the stars a lot when I was a nipper (the Boy Scouts , a wonderful institution) in just a sleeping bag on a tarp or groundsheet .

The scouts taught me many things from the University of life .

One of which is to knock it on the head once your body starts creaking 🤣

I love all my creature comforts when I’m fishing .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dalej2014 said:

Might be a silly idea, but what about a yoga mat? Could even double up as an unhooking mat (on the oher side, obviously). Not saying you'd want to do that regularly, but for a quick recon type fish?

Sleep with the Bream slime ? Lovely jubbly 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

For an idea, suggestion, have a look in your local army surplus or fleabay for an army sleeping bag, gortex bivvy bag, inflatable rollmat and army poncho. Couple of pegs and bungees and you’re good to go. All designed to stuff down to nothing in a bergen. Spent many a night happily kipping under the stars with this set up in the army. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

On 07/03/2022 at 08:26, framey said:

Great sleeping on the floor if you are a young one 

the older you get a good nights sleep on a bedchair is imperative for the back or suffer for the next week lol

waterproof bedchair cover or a tarp to keep dry if needed 

 

 

On 07/03/2022 at 15:25, newmarket said:

I used to sleep out under the stars a lot when I was a nipper (the Boy Scouts , a wonderful institution) in just a sleeping bag on a tarp or groundsheet .

The scouts taught me many things from the University of life .

One of which is to knock it on the head once your body starts creaking 🤣

I love all my creature comforts when I’m fishing .

The sleeping on the floor is probably out for me now. Sciatica hurts bits that shouldn't.

This week, even though I did unload from the car, I didn't set up the bivvy, it's nice weather for it, but looking at MetOffice I wouldn't be doing that this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...