Gardner Hydro Tuff v Berkley Trilene Big Game

Everyone that I've recommended HydroTuff to loves it.

It's quite unique as it has all of the benefits of a snag line (crazy good abrasion resistance and superb strength) but 'feels' like a low stretch or pre-stretched line. The responsiveness is as good as any mono I've used. It even casts ok in the lower diameters. The colour is great..... it's just a brilliant, brilliant line.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

It's quite unique as it has all of the benefits of a snag line (crazy good abrasion resistance and superb strength) but 'feels' like a low stretch or pre-stretched line. The responsiveness is as good as any mono I've used. It even casts ok in the lower diameters. The colour is great..... it's just a brilliant, brilliant line.

Nuff said - will have to give this stuff a try - cheers! 👍

Hydrotuff is superb line, I've chucked it up trees and stuck it in reeds and weed and it always comes back, you will probably snap your rod before you break it 😂

Sinks well, not too stretchy, I thought about stepping up to 18lb just incase my car gets stuck in the mud but then the 15lb would probably handle that 😉

3 hours ago, greekskii said:

I’m on the 18lb solely for the diameter for abrasion resistance. Means I can take it anywhere I plan on fishing without having to mess about changing spools or anything. Stupidly weedy pit, savage quarry or the river. But to be honest the 15lb is probably good enough for all of those places though!!

I was actually thinking of going up to the 18lb next time I respool, just because it is quite snaggy and weedy where I fish and I just think it may stretch just a little less than 15lb which can only help, but the 15lb actually hasn't really let me down ever, 

Trouble is it doesn't need respooling that often 😂

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

I was actually thinking of going up to the 18lb next time I respool, ........ I just think it may stretch just a little less than 15lb

It would actually stretch more (with the bigger diameter there's more material to stretch). Although stretch is not a problem for this stuff it seems.

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

the 15lb actually hasn't really let me down ever, 

Trouble is it doesn't need respooling that often 😂

Mate if it aint broke, don't fix it.

👍

1 hour ago, yonny said:

It would actually stretch more (with the bigger diameter there's more material to stretch). Although stretch is not a problem for this stuff it seems.

Mate if it aint broke, don't fix it.

👍

Interesting I just assumed it would stretch less because it was stronger and thicker but I can see your point, 

I would like to try braid for zero stretch but its banned so until then I will carry on with hydrotuff and probably continue to not change it until it needs it,I did my backing for 1 spool of 15lb for 3 rods so it might be worth sticking with it 

1 hour ago, framey said:

But check it just in case lol

I normally do but generally all it needs is a few rod lengths stripping off from time to time when it gets a little wavey, 

On 10/02/2022 at 09:54, yonny said:

" The colour is great ... " - The Green you mean and not the Brown ? .

😃

11 hours ago, crusian said:

Thanks very much , everyone , for all your comments ; this makes my choice of line very simple .

Now all I have to do is take more care loading my line , but I've watched  Matthew Collins on YouTube , and I think I'm on the right track now .

😃

I Soak it in water for 24hrs, putting the spool fully submerged in a bucket of water with a couple 5oz leads on top. Just make sure it comes off the right way and on to the spool when you tie it. Put it back in the water and pinned down by the leads so it can’t move and then load under pressure. I hold a towel in my hand and hold the line through it. 

do 20/30 turns and then stop, open the bail arm and see if the line comes off coiled or relatively straight. If it’s coiled up then flip the spool over and start again. Check again and it should come off the spool properly now 👍🏼

I've read about reeling the line in label side up to prevent twist but when I tried it, it did twist! Not surprising really because at the factory it would have been loaded onto the spool by rotating it so it make sense to let the spool rotate in a bucket.

I found Matthew Collins channel on YouTube a while back and there is a lot of good stuff on there, here's the video Crusian mentions;