Bivvy, brolly system - too big too small?

Hi all,

I know ultimately it depends on where you fish etc but what does everyone use for overnighters? I've currently got a jrc extreme tx 2 man bivvy

Dimensions: W 300 x D 306 x H 160

Weight: 15.3kg

I got it second hand and I've used it a handful of times and never had a problem with fitting it into my chosen peg but I'm starting to think is it too big? Could I manage with something smaller and then never have to worry about fitting into a peg. I kno what I have is a top quality bivvy with high quality materials etc but maybe I should have the 1 man instead?

What do you use and why?

Also just wondered if anyone knows what the bivvy is all the korda guys seem to use with the handle on top to tighten it all up.

cheers,

Paul

I think a 2 man is too big I have a cyprinus bunker and it is great for just me nice and small, light and fits almost anywhere, I would look at shelters these days like the Sonik axs, trakker tempest, something small light and quick to put up, I also have a brolly system I use when it's better weather, 

I think they probably use a trakker tempest but not sure 👍

For a long stay... more than 48 hours a big bivvy is (to my mind is essential... ) up to 48 hours and I'll use a smaller 1 man Titan Hide...

on a long stay I like to spread out, take more gear and be comfortable... a smaller bivvy makes me feel cramped on a long stay... that's my preference anyway... everyone's different

I did a week on redmire in a JRC 2 man bivvy and that was fine... did a week on Les Quis in a 1 man and hated it....

I think the bivvy  Pablo inquires about is the Trakker Tempest, a quick and easy system to put up and good for moving swims. I have a 2 man bivvy but hardly use it these days and they are heavy and take a fair bit of assembling and putting away. I use a brolly with storm sides (Wychwood Solace) but since superseded by the MHR (Maximum Head Room). I used to do a lot of day only sessions (my local water has a night curfew) and the brolly fits in a holdall with no problems. I never bothered taking the groudsheet either to save weight. On overnighters I do take the groundsheet and have a Cyprinus overwrap which increases the footprint and keeps out the elements and is pretty light.

Both systems have their advantages. If I'm doing an overnight session where you can park the car close to the swim, I might opt for the bivvy for the extra space and comfort but I'm still using the brolly system more even when I do fish that type of water.

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

For a long stay... more than 48 hours a big bivvy is (to my mind is essential... ) up to 48 hours and I'll use a smaller 1 man Titan Hide...

on a long stay I like to spread out, take more gear and be comfortable... a smaller bivvy makes me feel cramped on a long stay... that's my preference anyway... everyone's different

I did a week on redmire in a JRC 2 man bivvy and that was fine... did a week on Les Quis in a 1 man and hated it....

I think you make a good point about session length tbh, a week in the bunker may be too much, I rarely do more than an overnighter so 1 man or brolly system is fine for me 

I have been using a TFG Oval brolly and overwrap for a number of years, superceded last year by a Rod Hutchinson Cabrio Hybrid Brolly, although for day sessions and pike fishing in winter I do still use the TFG Oval. 

The RH brolly can be used as a plain straight brolly, with a zip on front, or even with a zip on extension and front. 

With the extension it is like sleeping in a tunnel, it is massive. Stick on the front and floor, you are fully weatherproof and it is dark in there. 

Either system fits in the rod holdall, although the tension bars for the Cabrio do have to be strapped to the outside of the holdall with the rods. 

I have done week sessions under the brolly and overwrap, under the Cabrio and in proper domes like the Fox EasyDome or RH Apotheosis. The honest answer is all are comfortable, all gave me the room I needed. In fact I found the EasyDome probably the tightest for space inside the inner capsule. 

What you think is big enough for you is entirely down to you. If you take enough gear for comfort that fills your bivvy, then you need that bivvy. 

I will say, and this is personal experience, sometimes in a big bivvy you simply can't be bothered to tackle down and move if the fish are elsewhere. An umbrella or brolly system can be quickly packed down, slung on the trolley and move. 

I remember with the EasyDome  moving 4 swims up the bank at Taverham, only around 150metres, but it was a 'mare. Although the bivvy was a quick lock, it was a pig to fold down with all the gear. 

Any of the systems from the EasyDome, brolly system and overwrap are big enough for me and my dog(s). 

Personal choice for me is that I do prefer the brolly system bivvy as opposed to bivvy type. 

Thanks for all the input and yes the korda guys do seem to use the trailer tempest I recognise the tensioning handle thing on the top....they are so expensive though!! Don't think I can justify it.

After my session out today I feel like my bivvy is a bit big. I only really do day sessions and the occasional overnighters. I didn't have my bedchair today because it was just a day session and it felt unnecessarily huge. I think I might downgrade to the 1 man version of the same bivvy as it's really good otherwise and fairly easy to set up. Takes me about 30 mins though including all the pegs!!

I used to have a 2 man bivvy, it went on every night /24 hr session... Honestly it was Maooosive, me n my lad could have a bed each in and still room for another... 

Now I'm on the Sonik AXS Brolly and Wrap, up and standing in about 10seconds (Honestly)... For the price of Brolly and Wrap you could go straight for the Sonik AXS Bivvy, but as a brolly, it caters for days and nights, if it gets abit chilly throw wrap on, it's also Pitch black with it on... 

There are different AXS versions. 

10 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Thanks for all the input and yes the korda guys do seem to use the trailer tempest I recognise the tensioning handle thing on the top....they are so expensive though!! Don't think I can justify it.

After my session out today I feel like my bivvy is a bit big. I only really do day sessions and the occasional overnighters. I didn't have my bedchair today because it was just a day session and it felt unnecessarily huge. I think I might downgrade to the 1 man version of the same bivvy as it's really good otherwise and fairly easy to set up. Takes me about 30 mins though including all the pegs!!

To be honest for just a day session any brolly or day shelter will suit... for the odd day session I just take my old flatback match brolly ( its lighter than my Nash Scope oval) and quicker to put up and down... a full bivvy for a day session is overkill

So I've been looking at downsizing and getting the jrc extreme tx 1 man and selling my 2 man only problem is that the 1 man hold their value a lot better so it'll cost about the same and I've got all the hassle of trying to find a good condition one local enough

11 hours ago, Highy said:

I used to have a 2 man bivvy, it went on every night /24 hr session... Honestly it was Maooosive, me n my lad could have a bed each in and still room for another... 

Now I'm on the Sonik AXS Brolly and Wrap, up and standing in about 10seconds (Honestly)... For the price of Brolly and Wrap you could go straight for the Sonik AXS Bivvy, but as a brolly, it caters for days and nights, if it gets abit chilly throw wrap on, it's also Pitch black with it on... 

There are different AXS versions. 

Looks nice in the camo... they got a bit of a Sonik sale  going on at the mo  

930809AD-E81C-4DA9-8F3C-DCE4A465B3EB.jpeg

funnily enough im looking at a brolly for the future my jrc contact two man is still going strong add a overwrap and it is the perfect winter bivvy so see no point in getting a another one, but the new wychwood brolly looks good mainly do to the price and the add on fronts that are cheap in comparison, add a vapour shield be lovely.  light and fast.

2 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

So I've been looking at downsizing and getting the jrc extreme tx 1 man and selling my 2 man only problem is that the 1 man hold their value a lot better so it'll cost about the same and I've got all the hassle of trying to find a good condition one local enough

that's the problem i'm having with barrows found one that is around the right price but when you add the fuel money it's a bit much, offered the guy asking price if he would bring to me, not heard back, they sell fast so. 

On 15/05/2021 at 13:13, elmoputney said:

I think you make a good point about session length

For me a lightweight shelter is even more important for longer sessions. On an overnighter you'll only set-up/pack-down once, but over a week the likelihood of moving is high imo, potentially a number of times.

1 minute ago, yonny said:

For me a lightweight shelter is even more important for longer sessions. On an overnighter you'll only set-up/pack-down once, but over a week the likelihood of moving is high imo, potentially a number of times.

Couldn’t agree more, I use an oval brolly with storm sides, it’s lightweight, quick to put up and pack down and for a quick move, I can just pull out the storm poles and collapse the brolly, chuck it on the barrow and move swims as needed. I find when I had a bivvy, I was more reluctant to move, with a 50inch brolly, it’s so much easier. I’ve done week long sessions under a brolly quite happily. 

Interesting to see all the different views on this. I think I've decided I'm going to downsize to either the same jrc extreme tx but 1 man version or if the price is right a trakker tempest bivvy as they sound very easy to put up quickly. I'm not the fastest but factoring in rocks in the ground which is a nuisance for pegs I rekon it takes me half an hour to put up my current 2man. Maybe I'm just slow haha

Also agree about the barrow comment, all the big heavy gear is a bit of a nightmare to get second hand. I could have bought a jrc extreme tx 1 man straight away yesterday but the seller wasnt offering postage so I was trying to arrange a courier collection with them and by the time I found a price I was happy with they had sold it.

Edited by pablo7uk

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Long sessions are the stuff of dreams now mate 😂

Tbh my brolly and my bunker both weigh about the same and are both fairly easy to put up, I took notice of the weight when I bought it, both around 5kg I think, all my tackle is going on a diet this week, since I had to barrow it last time I realised I take too much stuff that I don't need or use 😂

I don't really get chance to do long sessions any more with most being work overnighters and the odd 24/48hr session further afield a few times per year. I use an ESP LoPro year round without a front on it (mozzy mesh gets used sparingly in the summer). I think it depends on the person though. I'm ex army and fish lightweight/mobile so sleeping on a bedchair under a brolly is absolute luxury to me whereas some people might like their home comforts.

Couldn't agree more with some posters above though about having something quick and easy to put up and take down no matter the length of the session.

I think it's becoming very clear that bivvies, brollies etc really are a thing of personal preference! 

Ive been having a good look the trakker tempest bivvy and although it tempted me at first - lightweight and quick to put up I have found some things that to me are draw backs.

It seems that all the different components have to be bought separate - groundsheet, front panel, skull cap if you want the peak over the door way. So not only is this additional expense to an already pricey bivvy but it will add weight to that initial claimed weight of 7/8kgs or whatever they are. So realistically will it be much lighter in the end? Possibly not I'm thinking.

Also there doesn't seem to be an option for the clear panels on the front doorway and windows. Just mozzy mesh or standard fully closed bivvy material. Now my thoughts are if on a session and it's pouring down do you really want to be confined to complete darkness inside the bivvy - you certainly can't watch the lake unless you want to get rained on through the letter box door which has no peak to protect from the rain unless you get the extra skull cap and the other option would be raining in through the mozzy mesh.