Carp to Coarse/Match

Hi All, 

Recently I've given ALOT of thought to swapping over from the just Carp scene to the Coarse/Match scene. 

1 or 2 lads I know have dared the change and they really said it was best thing they have done. 

Instead of just waiting for a Beep, on a box/chair, constantly busy,... Sure Carp fishing you can go and find spots/stalk. 

I keep looking at Full Match setups, some even state "Swap for Carp Gear". I have found 1 listing and EVERYTHING is from Maver... Box, Holdalls, Carryall, Nets, Bags, Rods, Poles... Etc etc. 

I do the both that is over nights for the carp and course fishing, love them both. If I’m carp fishing and it’s quite il reel one of the rods in and have a spin or put a feeder rod out. That’s how I got the 3 x two pound + Roach. In between trips il have a go for anything that’s swims at the course lake you get a carp about 8-12 pound on a float rod wow pure fun 👍

4 minutes ago, B B said:

you get a carp about 8-12 pound on a float rod wow pure fun 👍

I know what you mean... Im not out this weekend, but week after I've been asked to do some Coarse fishing on a decent match lake... I've got enough Coarse gear for a dabble, float rod n reel, Pole, terminal bits and chair, but that's about it. 

I wouldn't sell all your stuff before you have a go, 

You might enjoy it more but you may not and then you are back to square one, 

For me I think the important part is venue choice with carp fishing, if you don't enjoy fishing it or it has idiots on it, and it doesn't grab you then it isn't the right lake for you, sadly there do seem to be more idiots lately though, 

Give it a go but baby steps first 😏

5 minutes ago, yonny said:

Don't be ridiculous @Highy🤣. Where's the challenge in being constantly busy catching pasties? You'd be bored after the second session mate. By all means do a bit on the side but as a straight swap...... no way man!

I think I will have a small setup put to 1 side for a few hours here and there... The best point about Carp fishing is the Night fishing on certain nights when it's really quiet in summer, the sunset in Background and its a nice cool evening, also taking the lad & dog along also. 

20 minutes ago, yonny said:

Don't be ridiculous @Highy🤣. Where's the challenge in being constantly busy catching pasties? You'd be bored after the second session mate. By all means do a bit on the side but as a straight swap...... no way man!

He's got a point Highy 

I caught 10 fish in 24 hours last year, I was done in, not something I am too keen to repeat tbh 😂

Edited by elmoputney

16 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

He's got a point Highy 

I caught 10 fish in 24 hours last year, I was done in, not something I am too keen to repeat tbh 😂

I know what you all mean... Me n a mate did a 24hr last year and we landed 21 fish in 23 bites... That was hard work... Think its fact of my 7minth blank 😂😂, but good things come to those who wait.. 

I would have to agree with the other comments mate, I’ve got a small range of coarse gear, enough to go out and trot some maggots down a river if the mood takes me, but I couldn’t give up my carp gear, they say a change is as good as a rest mate, after a few float fishing sessions, I’m soon craving a carp fishing session. Once your gears gone, it’s very hard to replace. I sold all my beach fishing gear as I didn’t think I could use it again after my shoulder injuries, but 3yrs down the line, I walk along the beach wishing I could chuck a few rods out or stand in the surf with a bass rod, the sun setting, gulls screaming around me and I bitterly regret getting shot of the beach gear. Yet I can’t afford to replace it right now so I’m stuck. Don’t make the same mistake I did! 

57 minutes ago, Highy said:

I know what you all mean... Me n a mate did a 24hr last year and we landed 21 fish in 23 bites... That was hard work... Think its fact of my 7minth blank 😂😂, but good things come to those who wait.. 

I think you might just need a challenge you are happy with and it will click into place a bit tbh 👍

14 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

Of course if you continue to talk about such inflammatory and distressing subjects as giving up carp fishing and becoming a match man, I may have to ban you... 😛😛😛

😂😂, Don't think I'll be giving up, probably just be between both for abit. 

8 hours ago, Highy said:

7 months!!! 
that’s nothing 

On 04/05/2021 at 20:17, Highy said:

Hi All, 

Recently I've given ALOT of thought to swapping over from the just Carp scene to the Coarse/Match scene. 

1 or 2 lads I know have dared the change and they really said it was best thing they have done. 

Instead of just waiting for a Beep, on a box/chair, constantly busy,... Sure Carp fishing you can go and find spots/stalk. 

I keep looking at Full Match setups, some even state "Swap for Carp Gear". I have found 1 listing and EVERYTHING is from Maver... Box, Holdalls, Carryall, Nets, Bags, Rods, Poles... Etc etc. 

While I do carp fish mostly I do fish for other fish at times, often pike in the winter, chub on floating baits in the summer and the occasional tench, roach or silver fish session. 

I would never sell any of my gear, as I enjoy it all. 

Like others, I wish I had not sold my bass rods, although I might push a marker or spod rod into use... 

16 hours ago, elmoputney said:

He's got a point Highy 

Ha ha try match style carp angling on a runs venue more than once i have brought all my rods in just to get a kip without having to get up for a straightener with a specimen size F1 hybrid 

Looks like you went at it a bit too early this year Highy carp angling is a late spring through to late autumn discipline anything else really is a grind, if i wanted to fish all year i would target large perch on worms or roach on bread  punch , match angling is ok just depends on what level you wish to compete, if you think us carp anglers have expensive gear take a walk round a proper match venue when the big guys are fishing then visit the same venue when the local guys are fishing a mid-week pot not a lot of difference in the gear on the bank.

5 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Ha ha try match style carp angling on a runs venue more than once i have brought all my rods in just to get a kip without having to get up for a straightener with a specimen size F1 hybrid 

Looks like you went at it a bit too early this year Highy carp angling is a late spring through to late autumn discipline anything else really is a grind, if i wanted to fish all year i would target large perch on worms or roach on bread  punch , match angling is ok just depends on what level you wish to compete, if you think us carp anglers have expensive gear take a walk round a proper match venue when the big guys are fishing then visit the same venue when the local guys are fishing a mid-week pot not a lot of difference in the gear on the bank.

I know what you mean about starting 😂😂... When I had all my match gear, that was pretty expensive, I mainly had all Maver gear, dearest part was my Maver Medusa Pole @ £500 for 14.5mtr...it was all the older Maver gear... The light green bags with the white writing... Maver seat box with all attachments...

Match gear now is Ridiculous priced, poles being upto £7,000...Daiwa & Browning..... Seat boxes £1,000.

why not buy a cheap setup with a keepnet and see how you get on? I found unless I was catching decent fish instead of bream and silvers the size of my finger I got bored pretty quick😂

I usually do a bit of everything, when I get bored of one type of fishing I’ll do something else until I get bored of that and move on again lol. I have so much gear in my shed I struggle to get in it, it’s a nightmare trying to find stuff 😂😂 

7 minutes ago, jh92 said:

why not buy a cheap setup with a keepnet and see how you get on? I found unless I was catching decent fish instead of bream and silvers the size of my finger I got bored pretty quick😂

I usually do a bit of everything, when I get bored of one type of fishing I’ll do something else until I get bored of that and move on again lol. I have so much gear in my shed I struggle to get in it, it’s a nightmare trying to find stuff 😂😂 

just gave my nephew a load of tackle two reels both shimmies a pike rod an old pod and a original korum day shelter and and few bits plus a load of hook baits that haven't seen the light of day in a while.  he does a bit with his grandad on farm ponds around furnace end 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All... 

Well mind is ALL SET on Carp Fishing, Mainly for the relaxing side, Family also can chill, Take the Lad n Dog too. 

So I've refreshed all my gear and thoughts... 

Just made a HIDDEN order, more to buy tomorrow 😉😉.. Topping bait up, may even look at the KRILL ACTIVE with the new Wafters n Tuff Ones.