What am i doing wrong?

cromiee

Started fishing about a year ago but due to corona never really got to do it half of the time but i still haven't caught a carp. I don't know what i'm doing wrong i've been to loads of different fisherys,changed my rigs,bait, presentation got some polaroids so i can spot the fish but it's starting to get a joke now and i'm loosing motivation to carry on. Spent all this money and time and got nothing out of it not even 1 carp

I'm in a very similar situation. Started again last year and only caught 1 on my own + a few when with someone else who told me exactly where to drop the rig. Both of these were at what would be considered close to a 'runs' water. Last year I was changing a lot at once including baits, rigs and venues. 

This year I've take a much calmer approach. Became a member of a syndicate lake and plan to only fish the one lake the entire year in order to actually learn about it. 
I've been taking less bait and less variety of bait with me so I can focus on ensuring I'm actually on the fish instead. I've also been trying to avoid re-casting so much as I think I have a habit of doing that too much from coming from float/feeder fishing. 

I've been on 2.5 day sessions so far and blanked all of them which feels quite frustrating but I'm trying to remain 'calm' about it. 
Not sure how often you're going but I think I am a little hard on myself. It feels to me that I've been loads and am 'always' blanking but in reality, for some anglers, 2.5 days is just a single session (which they may blank on fairly often). 

I think it's hard to know whether you're doing something wrong or not when you have no baseline to begin with. 
Would be good to hear how often others blank to get a feel for what is considered 'normal'. (Obviously this is lake dependent!) 

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

Can you put a picture up of your rig end tackle - could be something not quite right.

Are you getting bleeps, rod knocks, line pulls?

TBH you are starting with carp fishing which can at times test the resolve of the very best of us.  So tip one has to be find somewhere classed as easy - a runs water! 

And not at the easiest time of year either 

41 minutes ago, Zorbeen98 said:

Would be good to hear how often others blank to get a feel for what is considered 'normal'. (Obviously this is lake dependent!) 

I’ve had a run of over 32 nights blanking, all in the space of 3.5 months. I’ve also had runs of 20+ nights without a blank.

what is the fishing like on your syndicate? Stock and size? 2.5 days isn’t much fishing at all really. 

@cromiee what sort of lake are you fishing? The best thing to do is fish somewhere easy and full of singles/doubles so you gain confidence in all aspects of carp fishing. Rigs,  fish care, photography, baiting, etc. As Kev said, a photo of your rigs would be handy and we can see if there’s anything glaringly wrong. 

1 hour ago, Zorbeen98 said:

You need to see what others on the lake are catching, have a chat, how many did the top rod catch last year?  How many nights do they do?

You may have unrealistic expectations for the water, whats the lake size and total stock?

I would say that I fish intermediate to fairly challenging waters and they tend to have a way of punishing you, particularly if you start to think that you've sussed it.  I seem to have runs through the year when I catch consistently for weeks, then the obligatory blank run and head scratching moment when you question how you ever caught anything.

The high, lows, eureka moments and frustrations we all go through it, the blanks are part of the puzzle, just keep trying and learning, keep improving your game! 

Most of all enjoy the experience 👍

If we could see your rigs  would help maybe   what sort of lakes are you fishing   I've blanked 2yrs solid on a water because I listened to others   it's not easy this time of yr anyway   get yourself to a runs water and talk to other anglers you'll find most will help and even give you a hand to make sure your fishing safe etc

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

I’ve had a run of over 32 nights blanking, all in the space of 3.5 months. I’ve also had runs of 20+ nights without a blank.

what is the fishing like on your syndicate? Stock and size? 2.5 days isn’t much fishing at all really. 

@cromiee

17 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

If we could see your rigs  would help maybe   what sort of lakes are you fishing   I've blanked 2yrs solid on a water because I listened to others   it's not easy this time of yr anyway   get yourself to a runs water and talk to other anglers you'll find most will help and even give you a hand to make sure your fishing safe etc

For me it's a 4 acre weedy lake with lily pads. Average Carp range from 8lbs to 20 something (and one or two 30lb apparently). 

They have a Facebook group and from what I can gather I'd say there's probably about a 60-70% chance of catching (though obviously not everyone who fishes it is on FB).

Would appear the regulars who do a night a week usually catch a few but even they sometimes blank. 

My work life and the fact that I'm only just starting out means that nights aren't quite an option for me just yet so limited to days atm. 

10 hours ago, cromiee said:

Started fishing about a year ago but due to corona never really got to do it half of the time but i still haven't caught a carp. I don't know what i'm doing wrong i've been to loads of different fisherys,changed my rigs,bait, presentation got some polaroids so i can spot the fish but it's starting to get a joke now and i'm loosing motivation to carry on. Spent all this money and time and got nothing out of it not even 1 carp

Stick to one water, preferably a fairly easy one. Find out what works. It could be pellets, particles or groundbait with a boilie on the hook.

Stick to one rig, stick to one bait.

I look at every single session, every trip, on every water. 

If I blank it is what am I doing wrong? 

If I catch it is what can I do better?

In most cases we screw up our chances on getting into the swim. We pile bait in, sit on it, and have given the fish all the food they need to take their time to eat. The weather at the moment is warm, so warm that the fish may not be comfortable feeding. It can be better to just put out single hookbaits, maybe a small PVA mesh or bag. It may even be that right now the way to catch on some waters is floater fish at dawn or as the day cools down.

In terms of rigs, a knotless knot rig will still catch most fish. Don't get confused with Ronnie Rigs, German rig, 360 or whatever.

Put your rig where the fish are, you can find them.

It may be that you need to go to an easier water to catch a few fish

For me it's a 4 acre weedy lake with lily pads. Average Carp range from 8lbs to 20 something (and one or two 30lb apparently). 

They have a Facebook group and from what I can gather I'd say there's probably about a 60-70% chance of catching (though obviously not everyone who fishes it is on FB).

Would appear the regulars who do a night a week usually catch a few but even they sometimes blank. 

My work life and the fact that I'm only just starting out means that nights aren't quite an option for me just yet so limited to days atm. 

If you were local to me I'd have a few sessions with you to see if I could help with some tips and help  I'm in wales

12 hours ago, cromiee said:

To put it in perspective I haven’t had a “proper fish“ since lockdown ended either 

I took my grandson fishing and we had a few bits between us in an hours fishing 

14 hours ago, Zorbeen98 said:

To me this sounds like stalking territory, and nothing will teach you better than watching them feed right in the edge.  You get instant feedback and can adapt much quicker because you actually see the reaction to the rig and baiting.

One rod, resting on the ground, baitrunner on is all you need, be as quiet as possible, stay back, stay low - a small amount of micro pellet and chops or similar and if you get it right - you'll see plenty and catch regular.

Stalking gives you a realistic chance all day, under bushes, near reeds, lillies, undercut banks - bait a few spots in the edge around the pond and check for activity.

Honestly - it is the most exciting way to fish and the learning curve is rapid, sometimes I've caught the first fish onto the bait, other times I've waited 6+ hours watching the same group pass over the spot time and time again, looking, then hours later sampling the bait and spooking - before eventually smashing the spot with gusto, competitive feeding and the time to get a run.  Very similar to surface fishing.

Trouble is people see camping, spodding buckets out and waiting as being the norm, how it's done.

Keep day only fishing I say it will give you a different perspective, wider skill set.

3 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

To me this sounds like stalking territory, and nothing will teach you better than watching them feed right in the edge.  You get instant feedback and can adapt much quicker because you actually see the reaction to the rig and baiting.

One rod, resting on the ground, baitrunner on is all you need, be as quiet as possible, stay back, stay low - a small amount of micro pellet and chops or similar and if you get it right - you'll see plenty and catch regular.

Stalking gives you a realistic chance all day, under bushes, near reeds, lillies, undercut banks - bait a few spots in the edge around the pond and check for activity.

Honestly - it is the most exciting way to fish and the learning curve is rapid, sometimes I've caught the first fish onto the bait, other times I've waited 6+ hours watching the same group pass over the spot time and time again, looking, then hours later sampling the bait and spooking - before eventually smashing the spot with gusto, competitive feeding and the time to get a run.  Very similar to surface fishing.

Trouble is people see camping, spodding buckets out and waiting as being the norm, how it's done.

Keep day only fishing I say it will give you a different perspective, wider skill set.

I think you're right and I have been considering it. I think I just want to prove to myself that I can do it the other way. At the moment, I feel like I can't catch fish by sitting on rods and until I prove myself wrong, I'll still feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'll post my rigs when I get home to get those checked..

If I am to give it a go, do I just throw my usual rig out? Should I only drop it in if I actually see fish or should I also just consider dropping it in a likely spot? How long should I wait before moving on? 

(P.S. @cromiee Hope you don't feel like I've hijacked your post while you've been away... I imagine the responses here will help you regardless!) 

3 minutes ago, Zorbeen98 said:

I think you're right and I have been considering it. I think I just want to prove to myself that I can do it the other way. At the moment, I feel like I can't catch fish by sitting on rods and until I prove myself wrong, I'll still feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'll post my rigs when I get home to get those checked..

If I am to give it a go, do I just throw my usual rig out? Should I only drop it in if I actually see fish or should I also just consider dropping it in a likely spot? How long should I wait before moving on? 

(P.S. @cromiee Hope you don't feel like I've hijacked your post while you've been away... I imagine the responses here will help you regardless!) 

Well think about this, if everyone is fishing further out, bait and wait style then you can only expect to catch as many as they do - IF you are doing it as well as them.  For me - I'd drop that style completely and go stalking instead.

Answers:

Yes you use your normal rig but lower it in quietly

Bait a few spots and either fish the most likely from the off or wait until one of the spots is being fed on.

How long should I fish for - impossible to say, sometimes I fish 8 spots in a day chasing them round other times I'll sit it out in one spot because it has regular visitors.

On small lakes you might well see the same groups going round and round all day on the same circuit/route, your job is to make them feed, and feed with enough competition to get a bite.

One fish alone may eat all the bait except yours, get more than one interested in feeding and mistakes start to be made.

Remember all this is going on out in the lake but you cannot see it - this way you see it happening, can adapt the set-up and learn from it fast enough for you to get a result on the day.

I think I've been becoming a little bait and waity lately, 5th blank on the trot now, I guess that's rubbed off from the more settled regulars influencing me indirectly,and maybe I've followed suit, which may be the reason for my sudden downturn in form, I think my successful post lockdown sessions put me on a false path, I was convinced because they had been eating a lot of bait that I could carry on giving them quite a lot, I've regularly been using 3kg plus of boilies on a couple of spots for an overnighter, it's not loads if they feeding but if they are only grazing or not there, I am really hampering my chances of a bite, 

I think accuracy might be the next thing for me to work on bait is fine, rigs work, but if there are too many rogue spods out there it could be an hour or two not feeding on the danger spot, 

I think people can forget to enjoy fishing when it's going badly, and it can become quite stressful, I think the key is try and enjoy it, even when it isn't working as you want, remember it will happen one day, I found it really stressful last year coming back and changed things week in week out, none of it did me any good, keep it simple, stick to one lake, one bait or combo of bait , one rig, look for the fish and hopefully it will all fall into place 

Good luck 

1 hour ago, framey said:

Don’t rule out particle fishing at this time of the year.it’s hot and you may just get them on bits and pieces 

just tune your hook bait to suit 

Funny you should mention that I also used a lot less or no particles recently, when I was doing well I was using quite a bit 😳

Edited by elmoputney

3 hours ago, framey said:

Don’t rule out particle fishing at this time of the year.it’s hot and you may just get them on bits and pieces 

just tune your hook bait to suit 

The few trips after I have had after lockdown has been fishing over hemp with boilies.

Around 5-10litres of hemp would go in when I arrived, and I would fish over it with boilies on the hook for 3 or 4 days.

The only extra baiting up was done with boilies on PVA stringers.

22 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Your welcome      take a picture of your rigs let's see if theres anything wrong it's a place to start and work back 

These are the two rigs I've been using. I've used the chod rig on the new lake because of all the weed but was using the standard knotless knot rig last year as well. 

20200721_200222~01.jpg

20200721_200608~01.jpg

These are the two rigs I've been using. I've used the chod rig on the new lake because of all the weed but was using the standard knotless knot rig last year as well. 

20200721_200222~01.jpg

20200721_200608~01.jpg

Hello Zorbeen

I'm grateful that Cromiee and you asked your similar questions as it's certainly got me thinking , and there's been interesting replies , particularly from Kev.

I've never used a chod rig before so I can't comment on that rig , but my knee jerk reaction looking at both rigs is " what size hook are you using ? " .

😃

Personally I would shorten the chod rig and give more curve 

A bit more like this might help and make sure you have a nice buoyant pop up on there, the other rig doesn't look too bad at all tbh, the hook does look quite small but that maybe the picture, otherwise looks fine and should catch fish if its in the right place IMG_20200610_214800.thumb.jpg.d48cbf58a4cdf9f14e580629ebc76786.jpgIMG_20200621_085440.thumb.jpg.3e49e222c9eaa2edbe64dc7d6f697640.jpg

Edited by elmoputney

5 hours ago, elmoputney said:

I think accuracy might be the next thing for me to work on bait is fine, rigs work, but if there are too many rogue spods out there it could be an hour or two not feeding on the danger spot, 

I'm always trying to improve my accuracy and it's been 30+ years and still a long way to go literally.

A good friend of mine said that his biggest edge is accurate casting and baiting at 90 yards - doesn't sound a lot by what you hear in videos but in reality it's a massive deal.  There's my level of accuracy and then there's his, I think I'm having the best day ever if I have next to no rogue spombs and keep it to a rod length spread at that range, his however is a two foot spread with no rogues- bang on every time.  When it comes to fine lines he is a level above me. 

2 hours ago, Zorbeen98 said:

Mechanically the rigs look fine.

Maybe the pop-up is a bit blatant when the fish are singles, doubles, twenties.  A chod is a good choice for fishing over dense weed, but is it dense weed? were there more sparse areas where you consistently get a good drop but cannot pull back any distance, in this instance you could use a more subtle bottom rig because you're in a gap or channel.

Look at the emphasis placed on accuracy, finding the right spot.  Take the time to measure and record any nice spots you find or catch from for future reference, it will help you to keep disturbance down in future sessions and inform rig choice.

Be wary of how you fish those obvious spots you get in every swim, do you want to be in the middle of it or off to the side inside the chod - for want of a better word.  Interrogate the spot - sometimes you want to be on the smoothest part - other times the opposite.