Korda krank hooks

9 minutes ago, pablo7uk said:

Anyone else experienced a lot of hook pulls when using this pattern? I've been using it a little while now and don't think I've landed a single fish I've hooked haha

My favourite pattern of hook. Very rarely pull out of fish with this hook. I only use size 4 or 2 and only use it with critically balanced or pop up baits. 

Haha must be me! I'm pretty sure my fishing ability had gone out of the window since I started changing things up!

I use size 4 krank on various rigs, blowback on coated braid with a stripped back section or Ronnie rigs with stiff boom or a short coated braid for in pva bags. I have also tried a stiff D rig but not caught on that yet.

One thing I had thought is that it could be smaller carp that maybe don't get hooked well with a size 4. I fish a lot of venues that have a good number of single figure carp.

I'm going to start at fisheries like Wyreside, Clearwater and Lakemore hopefully in the next couple of months so I don't think small carp will be an issue at those places.

Edited by pablo7uk

As above, perfect hook holds, with both bottom and balanced baits. 

Combi, hinged stiff type rig. I'd happily put it out on most spots! 

Part of the puzzle of fishing is in fine tuning your approach to appreciate the rewards! 

Do you bucket test your rigs?? I find it very useful to see how the bait sits and more importantly how the hook reacts when you lift the bait. 

The smallest of changes can be the key to success. 

Yeah I agree your right, I feel like I've tried to do so much learning and changing during lockdown ready to move onto bigger waters with bigger fish but then the sessions I've fit in since we've been allowed back on the bank just haven't gone well at all. I think based on the feedback I will persevere and move onto the new venues and see what happens

13 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

I think I'm overthinking a lot of my tackle at the minute

If you think you're overthinking it you're defo overthinking it mate.

The key to getting your head round this is to know why you're changing something. There is no point changing from a blowback to a ronnie to a stiff D rig just because they are different. You end up changing so much that even if you do get a take you don't know which of the many changes you've made was the difference.

Make sure you have a reason to make any changes. For example if the deck is super clean change to a bottom bait rig. If it's not use a pop up rig. If you see carp spooking off your line/leader change to fluoro etc. etc.

Keep your eyes open and use what the fishing situation requires. The lake/fish will tell you what to do if you look hard enough. Apply logic and have a reason for every change. It is the quickest way to success.

11 hours ago, yonny said:

If you think you're overthinking it you're defo overthinking it mate.

The key to getting your head round this is to know why you're changing something. There is no point changing from a blowback to a ronnie to a stiff D rig just because they are different. You end up changing so much that even if you do get a take you don't know which of the many changes you've made was the difference.

Make sure you have a reason to make any changes. For example if the deck is super clean change to a bottom bait rig. If it's not use a pop up rig. If you see carp spooking off your line/leader change to fluoro etc. etc.

Keep your eyes open and use what the fishing situation requires. The lake/fish will tell you what to do if you look hard enough. Apply logic and have a reason for every change. It is the quickest way to success.

I'll stick an add on that, only change one thing at a time, until you feel you have got it right, the fish will tell you... 

Personally, I refuse to use Korda hooks as standard. I found they were not sharp enough straight out of the packet, and I missed takes and had a few hook pulls. I even managed to lift a 3oz lnline lead off the work surface with the hook point in my thumb or finger, it was not sharp enough to penetrate. The pics were on the forum somewhere. 

Yonny, I think does give his hooks an extra touch up with the sharpener, so he cures the problem I had with them. 

I use brands that are sharp enough straight out of the packet, that I don't have to sharpen

2 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'll stick an add on that, only change one thing at a time, until you feel you have got it right, the fish will tell you... 

Personally, I refuse to use Korda hooks as standard. I found they were not sharp enough straight out of the packet, and I missed takes and had a few hook pulls. I even managed to lift a 3oz lnline lead off the work surface with the hook point in my thumb or finger, 

There’s a video around somewhere of this being done 

it’s not only Korda hooks but use a heavier lead and it drives it in 

Im Sure the video Suggests a 4 or 5 oz is perfect for the bigger hooks 

I bought this dvd it could be in here But it’s worth a watch anyway

but I’m sure I’ve seen a video more recent with mark in it

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwifr9-oxOvpAhUAVBUIHSS6CwcQwqsBMAJ6BAgIEAk&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgBZ0OOW1C7c&usg=AOvVaw2GORXjtFkbDdL9lGUzM8Sj

Edited by framey

10 hours ago, framey said:

Just buy a file and you can turn almost any hook into a good hook if needed

I don’t sharpen every hook as it depends on the water 

fishing a runs water is totally different to fishing a fish a season water 

I've already got a file so I'll just keep a closer eye on sharpness from now on I think. It's easy to think that every hook is perfect straight out of the packet

14 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Haha you all had to throw a spanner in the works! One minute I'm thinking stop overthinking and just persevere and now I'm thinking korda hooks are no good! Haha

As I said, if you are happy with the pattern then good on you, but I would suggest that you learn to improve the sharpness, or use their (?) Kamakura extra sharpened patterns. 

I found, personally, Gardner Muggas (a curved shank pattern) and Solar 101's (straight shank) are sharp enough out of the packet. 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

happy with the pattern then good on you

Definitely, excellent hook holds. Like yonny I will always show the file to the point. 

Kamakuras, imo, are filed too much, ie making them brittle and prone to bending or opening up!! 

The resi doesn't allow curved hooks so I'm going to be using a bit of Shrink tube on fox wide gapes for the foreseeable 

16 hours ago, framey said:

There’s a video around somewhere of this being done 

it’s not only Korda hooks but use a heavier lead and it drives it in 

Im Sure the video Suggests a 4 or 5 oz is perfect for the bigger hooks 

It was a bait works video with Mark Bryant I think you mean I found it quite interesting, will try and find it, 

15 hours ago, pablo7uk said:

Haha you all had to throw a spanner in the works! One minute I'm thinking stop overthinking and just persevere and now I'm thinking korda hooks are no good! Haha

Stop overthinking, keep it simple best thing I did tbh I spent all last year tying myself in knots, with regards to hooks rigs, find a simple rig that works for the situation and use that, I haven't used a krank hook tbh I didn't like the angled point, but if you are set on using them, find the right rig for the hook, each hook will be best suited to some rigs  and not others, 

On 05/06/2020 at 22:36, framey said:

Just buy a file and you can turn almost any hook into a good hook if needed

I don’t sharpen every hook as it depends on the water 

fishing a runs water is totally different to fishing a fish a season water 

Genuinely guys appreciate you all commenting and giving advice. I will definitely persevere as they are clearly a popular pattern and a lot of you have strong faith in them. Hopefully I'll be able to report back in a few weeks with some decent catches! I'll persevere with the Ronnie rig and blowback rigs.

I did a post in Rig Tying this week, actually while I was fishing. The rigs I have been using on the reservoir myself.

I know @commonly you have a 'no curved hook' rule, my other straight hook shank is a Solar 101. Both these rigs work with them as well.

@pablo7uk, the snowman set-up is what produced a fish this week. Don't think you always have to use a Ronnie rig. I do know I was fishing over a clay bed so the area I was fishing was weed free.

Both rigs have worked on the reservoir, and strangely, both seem to keep me bream free, whereas single baits have been taken by bream. I don't mind if they are big, (9lb +), but a night of 5-8lb fish every few minutes can do my head in.

On 07/06/2020 at 12:06, salokcinnodrog said:

I did a post in Rig Tying this week, actually while I was fishing. The rigs I have been using on the reservoir myself.

I know @commonly you have a 'no curved hook' rule, my other straight hook shank is a Solar 101. Both these rigs work with them as well.

@pablo7uk, the snowman set-up is what produced a fish this week. Don't think you always have to use a Ronnie rig. I do know I was fishing over a clay bed so the area I was fishing was weed free.

Both rigs have worked on the reservoir, and strangely, both seem to keep me bream free, whereas single baits have been taken by bream. I don't mind if they are big, (9lb +), but a night of 5-8lb fish every few minutes can do my head in.

Can't go wrong with a combi line aligner! I definitely need to start using more bottom bait rigs again so I'm glad I tied up some blow back rigs recently.

On 05/06/2020 at 19:29, salokcinnodrog said:

Personally, I refuse to use Korda hooks as standard. I found they were not sharp enough straight out of the packet, and I missed takes and had a few hook pulls. I even managed to lift a 3oz lnline lead off the work surface with the hook point in my thumb or finger, it was not sharp enough to penetrate. The pics were on the forum somewhere. 

Yonny, I think does give his hooks an extra touch up with the sharpener, so he cures the problem I had with them. 

I use brands that are sharp enough straight out of the packet, that I don't have to sharpen

But if you were to lay the lead on the work surface, balance the point on your finger so there’s some slack in between your finger and lead, then lift your hand with a bit of speed, it would stick in then surely? Obviously if you do it real slow you could get it to not penetrate your skin? 

im not saying you’re wrong or anything just trying to get my head around it lol.

ive done well with Korda hooks straight out the pack but did find the point dulled really quick while being out in the lake so have now switched to muggas and think they are good hooks 👍

4 hours ago, jh92 said:

But if you were to lay the lead on the work surface, balance the point on your finger so there’s some slack in between your finger and lead, then lift your hand with a bit of speed, it would stick in then surely? Obviously if you do it real slow you could get it to not penetrate your skin? 

im not saying you’re wrong or anything just trying to get my head around it lol.

ive done well with Korda hooks straight out the pack but did find the point dulled really quick while being out in the lake so have now switched to muggas and think they are good hooks 👍

I put the point on my finger, with some slack, then lifted as if a fish lifted and ran.

To be fair I was working as a plasterer and on building sites so my skin was probably like sandpaper and a bit tough.