What and why.

Just a follow on to the thread doing the rounds atm about lines. As the thread says what line and why are you on said line. I’ve used sensor for years and it’s never let me down so I’m a ‘if it’s not broke why fix it’ type of bloke. 
My Fluoro is X-Line and as above used it for years and happy with it so never seen the need to change/try another. 😬

Usually synchro or Xt in 12lb generally 

15 lb if weedy 

X line in 19lb

and I have just spooled up a spare set of spools with the Korda tapered line in 12lb 

I used to use big game or pro gold(harder and harder to get hold off)

dabbled with the pro blend from. Gardner

along with loads of different ones over the years like

maxima sylcast gr60 etc

Currently, on my big water rods/spools I have:

HydroTuff 20 lb - for weed.

HydroTuff 12 lb (with leader) - for distance.

HydroSink 22 lb - where braid is the one.

On my small water rods/spools I have:

HydroTuff 15 lb.

I'm a massive fan of HydroTuff as you can probably tell. Its abrasion resistance is the best I've come across and that is the characteristic which I consider to be most important for the weedy waters I tend to fish. The other characteristics don't seem to be compromised too much by the abrasion resistance either. It sinks ok, it even casts ok, which for a snag line is quite unusual. The 12 lb with leader is perfect for getting the distance without sacrificing too much abrasion resistance.

I also rate the Rig Marole SLS Specimon Tough (another snag line) but it's been discontinued. I still have some left that I use as a leader material.

I spooled up somewhere back in time at the start of lockdown with Gardner Pro clear in 15lb again.

While I like a tough line, Gardner Pro is it. Somewhere back in the dinosaur age on here I did a review on it, everything I said then still stands. It knots tidily, is strong and handles abrasion, and I need those on the reservoir. 

I am a fan of ESP Syncro XT, I found that to be supple and strong, I'd recommend that no doubt.  Then in recent years syndicate rule changes forced me onto a thicker line, so went with Diawa Sensor in 20lb then the next year in 18lb and was fairly happy with it.  Subsequent batches of the same stuff behaved differently some how, more twist in use and a pig to get on in the first place.  My mate has only ever used Sensor as well but he was having the same problems.  I cant explain it so I cannot say anything bad about the line itself, maybe we were contributing or causing the issue.

Anyway for this year I've chosen Fox Exocet in 16lb because I've seen some good reviews and there is a chance I may need to fish further out than normal or at least have the opportunity to do that.  Whilst I've not used it yet first impression is that  it is the limpest line I have ever seen hanging off the spool, my friend and I were both shocked by how good it looks and feels, fingers crossed it's a good-un.  Will give feedback when possible. 

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

I am a fan of ESP Syncro XT, I found that to be supple and strong, I'd recommend that no doubt.  Then in recent years syndicate rule changes forced me onto a thicker line, so went with Diawa Sensor in 20lb then the next year in 18lb and was fairly happy with it.  Subsequent batches of the same stuff behaved differently some how, more twist in use and a pig to get on in the first place.  My mate has only ever used Sensor as well but he was having the same problems.  I cant explain it so I cannot say anything bad about the line itself, maybe we were contributing or causing the issue.

Anyway for this year I've chosen Fox Exocet in 16lb because I've seen some good reviews and there is a chance I may need to fish further out than normal or at least have the opportunity to do that.  Whilst I've not used it yet first impression is that  it is the limpest line I have ever seen hanging off the spool, my friend and I were both shocked by how good it looks and feels, fingers crossed it's a good-un.  Will give feedback when possible. 

Having looked at the Line/Dia  tests on here , it would seem Fox are very good lines to use .

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Gardner Pro

This is also my choice of line for my carp fishing in 15lb. I used diawa sensor brown 15lb for years and then I read about the pro on here some were and thought I'd give it a try and imo I think it's excellent line, it covers everything i need in my fishing.🙂👍

Edited by finchey

1 hour ago, dayvid said:

Having looked at the Line/Dia  tests on here , it would seem Fox are very good lines to use .

I used to test my lines myself, almost as per Kevin Maddocks in Carp Fever, giving abrasion resistance, the point it stretched to before breaking etc, the Tackle Box tests are pretty spot on.

There are lines that no matter how many tests they pass just don't work for the individual angler. 

There were some I used or tested that I would not use ever again; Berkley Big Game, Nash Bullet Mono, Ultima lines, even Daiwa Sensor in clear, yet the brown was spot on.

I loved Shimano Catana, one of the best lines going, it was a shame it was withdrawn from sale.

I could not get ESP line to knot tidily, the knot strength was awful, for me,  yet a mate loved it and had no problems. 

If Daiwa Sensor has changed then that is sad, as it was it worked when I last used it around 2010, and I had used it from 1994!

The things that cause lines to misbehave are line twist, playing fish on the clutch rather than backwind, 'over stretch' without to breaking point, obviously a snap-off, although at the knot, it may well have damaged the line from the knot to the reel.

Something else that causes damage is the lead, and lead attachment, it may well crush or pinch the line, or in the case of running leads on run rings, rub and abrade it, and of course, playing fish over gravel, through weeds and lilies, yet how many check the line every time?

But when it goes 'the line is rubbish'...

Did anyone watch daves lanes monster particle 2nd vlog yet?  There was quite a good feature about Mono stretch vs braid, I wish braid wasn't banned on my lake 😞

I use hydrotuff 15lb it's one of the best for being stronger than rated on the tackle box tests, it's pretty bulletproof, seems to sink OK, great for snaggy waters I also have the 12lb for my spare spools if I need to put my big boy pants on to cast 🤠

I would check it periodically and maybe strip a few rod lengths off every few sessions but not once did this line cause any issues, it went through quite a lot of weed and stuff last year too, 

I used to use braid for feeder work on my club waters til it got banned, it takes a bit of getting used to, softer rods and a light clutch can lead to some heart in mouth moments close in, but the indication were superb...

I can live with the stretch on Sensor.. it's kinder to my old rods and I've been using it for so long I know what I can get away with👍

Daiwa Sensor jumbo spool 8lb 1,855m just under £10 use that for float and feeder and carp off the top, iv had carp up to  16lb on it been using the brand for donkeys yeas  

X line fluoro not sure what breaking strain it’s been on the spools forever use this for small waters where a softly softly approach is needed.....I find i need to wipe the xline during the session as it seems to get dirty I just use a baby wipe must the segment in the water ? 

Fox Exocet wow what a line highly recommended 👍 first used it in France in 12lb on a big water as I didn’t have a bait boat, 12lb is a bit Stretchy if you give it the big heave ho with a 3oz weight and no shock leader tho ... so I changed spools to the 15lb glad I did the 1st fish took me around a small weed bed, had no problems with a low 30 and a big ball of weed.  The line flys off the spool thin for its bs and sinks ok  

Braid Berkley Whiplash green diameter 0.12 use it for my spod /marker rod ( which is the same rod ) again had this for so long it’s lost it colour.